Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Do you already have a plan of action for getting this checked into, jfudge? Let us know if you decide to work with a dealership as we're available to assist in that process.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • trumble09trumble09 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2013
    If you jiggled the wires and it ran perfectly it would seem this is the problem. Jiggling isn't a permanent fix, it allows you to self diagnose before paying beacoup bucks to have the dealer "diagnose" that you need 500$ worth of reprepair. You have 1 of 2 options. 1. Take it to the dealer show them the wire harness and have them replace it, GM charges customers 180$ for the part plus whatever labor the garage sees fit to charge. 2. Find someone with pretty basic electrical repair knowledge show them the wires tell them one has a broken connection and needs to be re-soldered and pay them whatever they charge for wire repair which won't be nearly as much as the wireharness repair bill from the dealer. Look at the youtube video "throttle body harness wire" I linked to up a few posts to see how to disconnect the wire from the terminal to re-solder it.
    edited January 2013
    My only other 2 suggestions are to disconnect the gas pedal and inspect that terminal and those wires for corrosion or damage. If that seems to be fine then you could possibly try to clean the throttle body there's a part called a butterfly its basically a metal disk with a rod through the center that opens when you put the throttle on and closes when you take it off, this can become gunked up and require cleaning with throttle body cleaner. Have your husband Google it and see if either of these problems may be the cause, sorry the wire jiggle didn't turn out to be the issue. =(

P.S. try the wire jiggle on the gas pedal terminal too as one of these wires could be loose.
  • shesok2010shesok2010 Member Posts: 1
    I drive an impala SS 2010 with only 59,000 Last night while driving on the freeway my check stabilitrack, check traction control and then the reducing engine power came on my dashboard. I was able to drive the car off the free way but am not sure if I should continue to drive it anywhere else(a mechanic). I did notice a slight tug while I was driving but also know I am due for an oil change. I have read about gas petals and sensors being off. I have already replaced 5 sensors since I got it so this would not come as a shocker. I have had nothing but problems with this car but as a girl living by herself in a new city does anyone have any suggestions????
  • rq_maliburq_malibu Member Posts: 2
    I am not a mechanic but everything I've read online and heard from my dealership is that you are still able to drive the car when these errors appear. You do want to get it into the shop asap but you can drive it there rather than getting it towed. I had this problem with my 2011 malibu which is out of warranty and the dealership fixed it for nothing because they know that GM is having issues with the throttle body. I also have a co-worker who owns a 2008 Impala with 50,000 miles and this happened to her last week - same error messages you are seeing. She drove straight to a local dealership armed with the information that MANY GM's are having this issue and there were no questions asked, she got it fixed for nothing. They didn't even charge her the diagnostic fee. If I were you, I would go to or even call the nearest dealership and see what they are willing to do for you. It seems as though most of them are being pretty reasonable in dealing with customers who have this problem.
  • whiskeyfirewhiskeyfire Member Posts: 1
    The throttle body is no longer covered under the powertrain warranty as of 2010. They must have been spending too much money on throttle bodies so they quit covering them. I have a 2011 Impala with a similar problem, code P2135. The car has 53K so the real warranty has expired. The dealership wants around $500 to replace the throttle body. I can buy the part on ebay for $130 and take a half hour of my time to replace it. It's upsetting that Chevrolet extended the throttle body warranty on the trucks for the same problem but not the cars. Good job GM.
    shesok2010,
    If you want for us to get you more information about any applicable warranties or to assist with working with a dealership to get this checked into, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    edited January 2013
    I experienced the same thing with my 2009 Impala LS, I had it narrowed down to a throttle body wire harness since juggling it would make it start and run right, turns out it was the pins that those wires were connected to in the electronic portion of the throttle body, I continued to drive it with no problems except occasionally getting a message that the throttle was disabled and the car wouldn't start but wiggling the wires worked. Last night however my car wouldn't start and I killed the battery cranking it over and trying to clear it with an Actron code reader, I had it towed after much hassle because the company sent a truck that wouldn't fit in the low clearance garage, I called the dealership I had it sent to explained the problem and informed them that while the battery was dead this wasn't the issue. they performed the diagnostic and found codes pointing to the throttle position sensor and knock sensor and replaced the throttle body with no hassle, I will be picking it up from the dealer tomorrow morning. I have heard estimates of it being costly, I've found replacement throttle bodies online for 130-150$
    It looks like you'll be tackling the throttle body work on your own, trumble09 - hopefully things go well!

No, I took it to the dealer as it was covered under warranty, they replaced the throttle body electronic portion not the part containing the butterfly and said the car ran like a charm when they test drove for 20 miles, My father went to go pick up my car from the dealer, got in turned the key over and wouldnt start at first then it turned over and it immediately began running rough and displayed the "Engine Power Reduced" message. It seems like the technicians are stumped, as it was giving code p2135 which indicated a throttle position sensor and having replaced those it is still displaying the message, I'd rather not pay to have them guess what the possible cause could be, in the past I've been nothing but happy with their service, but for them to not know why my car is displaying this message is frustrating to say the least...
    Sorry for my misunderstanding!

If you want for us to check into this further, if for nothing else than further documentation, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• outlook2008outlook2008 Member Posts: 5
    My 2008 outlook 8J118867 has left me stranded twice this last week. I get a computer message of traction control off and much reduced power. Out of desperation I have discovered if I turn off the car, it can “reset” itself and go back into drive mode with a check engine signal. The codes given are:
    P1516 Electronic throttle mod VS, Throttle Position Performance
    P2119 Throttle Closed Position Performance
    P2135 TP Sensor 1-2 Correlation
    It needs to be fixed quickly as I live in a mountainous area and I literally “get stuck” with my two young girls.

My trusted mechanic owns Sabaru here in Colorado springs. We have not had the best of luck going to dealers here and in Denver. We had transmission replaced when we were stranded near Denver and had to push car off the road (literally). It was amazing that it was replaced “no questions asked’ and the dealer there admitted they had to replace “a lot”. That told us that the car brand was having lots of problems.

Our local dealership is: Mike Shaw GM 1313 Motor City Dr 719-636-3881. This is the same place that argued with us about our headlight problems and then after we paid to have them fixed at a cheaper shop, a month later the recall went out about the light connectors.

Right now it is sitting at Sabaru Repair (they have been AWESOME on our subarus and I trust them totally) and Martin and I are researching the problem – and I came upon this website.
    Please let us know what GM is doing about this problem. Thank you-
    Brenda S
    Looking at your VIN, outlook2008, your powertrain warranty expires today (unless you're mileage is already past 100,420 MI). I understand you have a good relationship with your mechanic, but if you had wanted to see if what's happening with your vehicle would be covered it would be better to act on that sooner rather than later.

• christine68christine68 Member Posts: 2
    hi. i have a 2010 chevy impala. they are GARBAGE. service light came on when i left chevy dealer ship. they are saying nothing they can do since i left their property. i have no service warranties they say.. i was sold garbage. now i get the same message everyone is getting service traction control engine powering down. i was driving 2 days ago and it came on i went to pull over to shut vehicle off. it seems to work for a bit. as i went to turn. steering locked brakes and gas peddle went stiff. i had no control of the car went into opposing lane. and stopped. that scared the living day lights out of me. i could have been killed. i dont know what to do. i need help.. i drive granddaughter back and fourth and scared to dealth only vehicle i have. i need it for job. i only had this garbage a yr and half. nothing but headached. will NEVER BUY A NOTHER CHEVY AGAIN. THOSE PPL SHOULD BE SUED.
    Funny story, Dealership diagnosed my car as having a bad throttle body, replaced it, still got the p2135 throttle position sensor error, dealership was stumped and said anymore poking around would start costing me money. so My dad said I'll be there to pick it up. While he was there, he picked up a wiring diagram for the throttle body harness to check ourselves since it doesn't cost us 60-100$ an hour whatever labor cost is these days. He voltage tested two wires in the harness i don't know which but the voltage was 11 almost 12 volts, which is full battery voltage... that's a lot higher than normal 4.5ish or something I read it should be... so the garage suggested I get a new battery, I had the original AC Delco battery that came with the car so it's 4-5 years old, we have a spare lying around we connected the spare and the voltage dropped to normal levels. So fingers crossed a bad battery and a possible bad throttle body caused my problem. I have no idea if the throttle body was the issue as even after they replaced it, it threw the voltage code pertaining to the Throttle position sensors, we're gonna give it a few days and see if the new battery fixes it, otherwise we have to chase electrical gremlins as they are not covered under GM's warranty when your bumper to bumper runs out. I will keep you all posted. Fingers crossed!
    What is the mileage on your Impala, christine68?

• tracy4511tracy4511 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 chevy impala and my service throttle control and reduce engine power lights keep coming on!! I have had a something replaced on the gas pedal already (cant remember what) it was good for a while now its doing it everyday!!! I can pull over and cut the car off and some times it fixes the problem. It is sooooo aggrivating only going 40 mph i am scared I'm gonna cause a wreck!! I have noticed my car heater will not heat up while its in idle.are the two connected? I dont know what to do
    tracy4511,

We're sorry to hear that you don't feel safe in your vehicle. Are you at all considering working with a GM dealership to get this looked into? Let us know if we can be of any assistance in that process! We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• dandd2009dandd2009 Member Posts: 1
    Man so many replies top this message, my impala has 44,000 miles and is a 2009. Seem to be different fixes for same message. Unless I'm misreading. So a little confused. Replies would be welcomed. This is a scary thing to happen driving anywhere. My dealership is one that went by by. So not much help, was purchased new late Oct of 09.
    edited February 2013
    Depending on the code your car is throwing when it goes into Reduced Engine Power it can be several different fixes... P2138- Accelerator Pedal Position seems to indicate a bad Gas Pedal Sensor(Which isn't covered outside of the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper), P2135 a throttle body problem, more specifically Throttle Position sensors not agreeing on a voltage. So have your codes read at the dealer or an Auto parts store (usually for free) and it will indicate which problem you're having... my 2009 was throwing a throttle body code and the dealer replaced mine for free under the 100k mile Powertrain warranty, after 2009 they removed it from the powertrain warranty. After replacing the throttle body it still persisted, so We've kind of narrowed it down to a bad battery or bad wiring to the throttle body. If you've read previous posts the gas pedal is an easy 70$ self-fix that involves removing some bolts, plugging the new pedal in and putting the bolts back. I would go get a free scan at a parts store before taking it to the dealer, as my diagnostic fee at the dealer runs 100$.
  • christine68christine68 Member Posts: 2
    i am having same issue with my 2010 chevy impala. i contacted gm dealer headoffice told them if i get killed or someone else ill sue them for everypenny> i have contacted a lawyer he said i got strong case. they sell these iece of [non-permissible content removed] and there is so many ppl on saying same thing happening to their impalas.they are ignoring it only want the money if will be funny when they have none.when ppl sue them
  • jlg7jlg7 Member Posts: 16
    Im having the same problem with my Chevy Traverse. GM really needs to step up to the plate and do a recall on this issue before someone gets killed in an accident. Same problem seems to be happening in the Saturn cars and Equinox too! Hey GM since you monitor these boards, YOU need to fix this problem now!!!!! :lemon:
  • newhavennewhaven Member Posts: 2
    TO IDAHOFARM,

I have the same promlem, mine is included with Traction control needs service.
    for icy weather, when its warm no problems but suxx in the winter I love my chevy but dont know what to do went to garage change wheel bearing but came back shortly after
  • lil100lil100 Member Posts: 12
    Now I am having trouble again with my Impala - just had the gas pedal replaced - now apparently it's the gas caps or something. This is ridiculous. I think I"m going to write a letter to write letters to newspapers and tv news shows. If GM is not going to do anything - we need to start doing something.
    Very unhappy.
    edited February 2013
    Battery didn't help after a weekend test drive "Reduced Engine Power/Service Throttle" were back, My dad started tracing wiring and found this in the PCM Box.

PCM Pic 1
    PCM Pic 2
    PCM Pic 3

The Blue in the terminal is a bunch of Icemelt salt that had found its way into the airbox with water and rode the wires down into the PCM plug and corroded some terminals, including the Throttle body wire connection. He cleaned the terminals with air and got the corrosion off them and the gunk out of the plug and got the moisture out and for 3 days my car has been running with no hiccups even when the traction control has kicked on a bunch of times on slick snowy roads (which caused the reduced engine power before) The PCM is located in the bottom of the airbox as it requires air to cool it, although it doesn't require salt. Someone who owned the car before me apparently had the PCM box off ripped a gasket and put it back on with half a gasket. Luckily so far it doesn't seem like permanent damage was done to the PCM.
    Hello dandd2009,

If you need assistance locating another dealership in your area to get this looked into, please let us know! Send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with your request and ZIP code.

Good morning newhaven,
    Was your garage one of our GM dealerships? If so, we'd be happy to follow up on your visit there. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and as summary of the situation so far).

• gmoney11201gmoney11201 Member Posts: 3
  • gmoney11201gmoney11201 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 Chevy Impala LT, I have been experiencing 3 messages SERVICE STABILITRAK, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL AND REDUCING ENGINE POWER. This has been going on for months and the dealership wants to charge $129.00 for diagnostic. I took it to Autozone and got it for free. Just as I suspected that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is broken or burned out. I also did a google search and found that many others are having the very same problem. The car would jerk and downshift. This morning I also received another message after I pulled over, STARTER DIABLED, SERVICE THROTTLE. I had to wait for minutes before starting again and 15-25 min there after.
    Look at my posts above I had the same issue, my throttle body was covered under the powertrain warranty but after 2009 they removed it. If you're still in bumper to bumper it may be covered, if not you can review other posts for cost of a replacement throttle body. They replaced my throttle body and it persisted. Other possible causes for the throttle body code include a bad throttle body wiring harness, or a gunked up PCM plug like we found in my car.
  • nick2006matrixnick2006matrix Member Posts: 42
    I recently bought a new 2012 Impala LS and am very happy with it so far. I like to read up on issues with my cars and often check the different forums to see what the latest issues are. I also own a 2006 Toyota Matrix and just had some recall work done. This is from TOYOTA:

The ECM for certain 2005 through 2008 Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix models equipped with the 1ZZ-FE
    engine and two-wheel drive may have been improperly manufactured. There is a possibility that a crack may
    develop at certain solder points or on varistors on the circuit board. In most cases, if a crack occurs at certain
    points or on certain varistors, the engine warning lamp could be illuminated*, harsh shifting could result, or the
    engine may not start. In limited instances, if cracking occurs on particular solder points or varistors, the engine
    could stop while the vehicle is being driven which may increase the risk of a crash.

The end result of this failure seems to be very similar to the Chevy reduced power problem many owners are experiencing. The vehicle may shut down at highway speeds and cause a crash.

My point is Toyota has seen the problem and is trying to correct it. I hope to get many good years of service from my Chevy but I also hope GM recognizes the problem many of their customers are experiencing and does something about it. I plan to remain a GM customer since I think they still build a quality product. I can see how many of the people on this forum are getting frustrated with this possibly life-threating problem.
  • malibu2011malibu2011 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same trouble with my 2011 Malibu. Service traction, engine power reduced and engine esc lights all come on...top speed 50mph an once it's running below 20 the car feels like its going to fall apart. With only 55k miles I shouldn't be experiencing such a problem! Seems to be a huge problem many People are experiencing!
  • angsant64angsant64 Member Posts: 1
    Gmoney, what did it cost you to have the TPS replaced? Thanks!
  • mikeg801mikeg801 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same exact issue where the car will suddenly say service traction control..esc...reducing engine power. I have 39,000 miles on the car and it's out of bumper to bumper. I took the car to chevy dealership and they said it was the throttle body and that they would cover under powertrain even though it's not included in that. The problem is the part is back ordered and it's been 8 days and they say they dont know how long it will take to get the part because they have over 4,000 orders for this part. Chevy has known that this was a problem yet they did nothing about it... it should have been recalled. I have to get a rental car cause this is undriveable and i could have to have the car for up to a month. What i'm probably going to do is take it to a mechanic and pay to have them fix it and then file a suit in small claims court against chevy for knowingly putting faulty equipment into there vehicles. I sent a link to this page to chevy and also had constant contact with them about this issue. I would love to get some of the people from this forum and other forums of people with the same issues and see if a class action lawsuit can be taken against chevy.
  • malibu2011malibu2011 Member Posts: 2
    I was told by my local Chevy dealer that it would cost me 99.99 for diagnostic testing...so I went elsewhere-where I was told it would be $20 for a diagnostic test...anyway the problem was a sensor that just needed cleaning...we went through a car wash and the next warm day it was fine...took it in today for repairs and the guy didn't charge me a penny told me to save my money and come back if the problem reoccurred! Don't pay out your hind end go to auto zone and get a free diagnostic test...dealerships are a rip off
  • jwade05jwade05 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 impala as well and we are having the same problem. While driving the service traction control/ and engine power reduced comes on. Also, the car will just shut off and say started throttle disabled. As I read so many people are having the same problems that I am having. Yet GM is ding nothing to fix this problem. Sounds to me that there needs to be a recall on this so the problems can be fixed this happened to me while driving on the interstate with my 3 children, I just thank god that I was in the slow lane so I could make it to the side of the road before we got hit. What is it going to take for GM to admit that something is wrong and fix their mistake, someone being killed or hurt?
    jwade05,

Will you be working with a dealership to get this checked into? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance! We can be emailed at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• jwade05jwade05 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure as of yet. I would say no, dealerships want to charge way to much when you can get the job done for less. The only way that I will take it to a dealership is that GM pays the bill. After all the trouble that I have had with GM over this, I will not longer purchase a GM vehicle. There is apparently a problem with the chevy impalas and GM does not want to fix it.
  • mikeg801mikeg801 Member Posts: 2
    jwade05 I talked to a district rep from chevy today and i told her the previous person i talked to had told me that they had over 4000 orders for throttle bodies and she actually told me that was on the low end and its alot more then that. This should have been recalled on the impalla and the malibu. My car did the same thing the first time and i was on the freeway also. I have purchased 6 cars over my 23 years of driving and 5 have been chevy's.... this is seriously making me consider going to a different car manufacture
  • cinginncinginn Member Posts: 1
    i am having service traction control and engine power reduced problems......i need help......i dont know what the part is that makes it do it......please help
  • cjq11983cjq11983 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my Impala (used) in July, and I've already begun having issues with this "service stabilitrak" message and "reduced engine power" message. It had about 39,000 miles when the problem started. The first time it happened, I was driving in town and didn't really pay it much mind as it didn't really affect my driving, and eventually after a few days the check engine light went off. I did research it and from some of the comments I saw at first, I thought it would be ok, until I was in the middle of Georgia on the highway during rush hour and the message came on and eventually the computer shut down the throttle and the car slowed down and stopped. Fortunately people around me were paying attention and allowed me to pull over before the car stopped completely so no accident occurred, but it was very scary. I shut the car off and after a few minutes was able to continue, but this shouldn't have to occur. The light has come on twice since then, and usually within a few days the service engine light goes off again. I haven't taken it to the dealer because without the service engine light on, I am pretty sure they will have trouble diagnosing it and the light always goes off before I have time to take it in. It happened again last night, and even after the car was shut off and turned back on (which I have learned to do), the reduced power message remains. I am planning to take it to the dealer, but I can't afford to pay repairs out of pocket so I sincerely hope this issue is covered by warranty.
  • cjq11983cjq11983 Member Posts: 2
    from reading the other posts on the forum, I believe it is something throttle related. I have the same problem with my 2011.
    Keep us posted, cjq11983. If you want for us to check into anything further with you on this, don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• rbowensrbowens Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same issue with my 2006 impala. I bought this car brand new in 2006 and I have not had any problems until two years ago when my car started to slow down while driving and then the message appeared engine power reduced. It did it a few times that year and then it never happened again until a few days ago. Please keep me updated with your progress on your impala!
  • nighteagle79nighteagle79 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue. Just started today. Wouldn't this be covered under the Powertrain warranty? I bought Certified Used to not have these problems. But I am past the Bumper to Bumper.
  • dasupadasupa Member Posts: 13
    How strange that Toyota's hybrid had problems with its acceleration and not only was there a recall, they had to pay millions of dollars (just heard it on the news last week). Yet, Chevy has a very similar issue (instead of sudden acceleration, we get sudden deceleration) and not a word is spoken by anyone but the victims.
    Have you had this checked into at any point over the last few years that it's been happening, rbowens?

If you have questions about warranty, nighteagle79, we'd be happy to get you more information. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and summary of your inquiry.
    cinginn,
    Depending on when your vehicle went into service and how many miles it has on it you may still be within your bumper to bumper warranty (3 years/36000 miles). Please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com if you have any questions! Include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of your inquiry.
  • annoyed10annoyed10 Member Posts: 4
    Just had the same issue as most of the posts I have seen. Started the car, and it ran horribly, with the messages; service traction control, service stabilitrak, reduced engine power, and the check engine light was on. Took it to the Chevy dealer, and he was not surprised. He made the comment that "these cars each have a personality of their own", and "this problem occurs more often than you know" after I mentioned that there were hundreds of complaints on the internet. He said it could be one or more of about 4 things. Unfortunately, the car has 60,000 mi. (2010 model) so it is out of warranty, but this is a safety concern. I do a lot of highway travelling, so I really don't want this to happen again at 70mph., and I won't let me wife drive the car until I know it is fixed. I am waiting right now to see what the service dept comes up with. I will post their "fix" once they get back to me.