Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon Henry,
    I am sorry that I did not see your post sooner - sometimes the search tool we use doesn't catch everything, and I was going to the forums manually today.

I realize that your post was a month ago - have you visited your dealership to have this looked into? What is the status of your vehicle at the moment?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Wyniac67,
    As I mentioned to another poster, sometimes our search tool doesn't pick up on posts for whatever reason. Today I had some time to go through manually and look for any respondable posts and found yours. I'm sorry that you were overlooked - how is your vehicle running?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    If you would like to work with Customer Service, we could get a Service Request established for you. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and your current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    All,
    As so many have posted their experience with the "Reduced Engine Power" concern on your Impalas, I will be documenting this thread for GM. Thank you for your contributions, and if you would like for us to look into your situation further please be sure to get in touch with us via email.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 2009impalass2009impalass Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Impala SS just gave me the same message and now won't remote remote start and drives no more than 5 miles per hour. I see this is a common and bad problem. I will be checking with my local GM dealership and see their response. I'm currently working with my local Governors office on a project and will certainly bring this issue to light as it happened to me on the interstate and seems its happened to many.
    Thank you
    Robert
  • 20impala0620impala06 Member Posts: 3
    I ended up having the throttle body replaced to resolve the "Engine Power is Reduced" Hope GM will do a recall as it seems to be a notorious problem.

What do I need to address next, the head gasket as I see some issues floating around concerning "no heat at idle" Any recalls on that?
    We would be happy to check your VIN in our systems to see if there is an open recall on it. Send us the last 8 digits in an email and we'll let you know what we find out.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • pjm2009pjm2009 Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a frequent issue, as I have the same problem. 2009 Impala LTZ, and problem started around 75k miles. Very intermittant. Traction control will also kick in (intermittantly) when accelerating from a stopped position, usually making a (somewhat sharp) turn.

Has anyone found a 100% solution to this problem? Replace the pedal sensor? If so, is that covered under the Powertrain 100k warranty?
    Sensors are excluded from powertrain warranty coverage. If you would like more information on your powertrain warranty coverage, please let me know! Or, for parameters (exact date and mileage of expiration) you can email us the last 8 digits of your VIN (along with your name and Edmunds username) and we'd be happy to provide that.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • abrods01abrods01 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, wanted to ask you managed to get any resolution to your problem,with car shaking?

Thanx, Alex.
  • abrods01abrods01 Member Posts: 2
    Did you manager to resolve the problem. What did you do about it?
    Alex.
  • impalaowner_06impalaowner_06 Member Posts: 1
    After being stranded this past Monday 2-6-12, my mechanic actually came to where I was stranded and replaced the throttle sensor foot pedal assembly. The reason I was stranded you ask? Well, thanks for asking! After starting my car and putting it in gear there was no power when I pushed on the gas pedal. It rolled back to my surprise and I also hit the car parked behind me (I was parked facing uphill). I slammed on the brake, put the car in park, excelerated and the engine revved like it should. I put it in gear again, and again it just rolled back and wouldn't rev the engine.

My mechanic changed out the throttle sensor foot pedal assembly on the spot (didn't take long at all) and I soon was on my way. Wish I could say it had a happy ending, but less than 2 miles down the road the "engine power reduced" came on and also "service traction control". One doesn't come on else the other does (not sure how they are connected). Well, the car is worse now than it was before. I can't go 100 yards without the car losing power. I managed to get home (25 miles) but am sick and tired of spending money on things that are "supposed" to take care of the problem but doesn't. I personally bought this part from the dealer myself.

Oh, and the oil issue. I really don't wanna go there, but,......the oil is dry after every 300 miles! Nope, not 3,000 miles,....THREE HUNDRED MILES! I have 119,000 miles on this car and have decided that I'm done with Chevy's. My husband has finally won the car war....I'm trading my Chevy for a Dodge. No more Chevy's for me. Just call me DONE!
  • stephd74stephd74 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 07 Impala. I had the car a week, and started to have problems with the Engine Power Reduced situation. It stalls a t least once a week on me, stranding me for up to 15 minutes at a time. So, I had the pedal replaced, but to no avail, this STILL HAPPENS!! While on a freeway, going 65 MPH engine power reduced light comes on then, the engine disables and shuts down, trying to steer this is crazy after everything shuts down. And being on a freeway, with people driving behind you when it shuts off!!! THIS CAR IS A DEATH TRAP!!! I have had the car for 7 months and it has been nothing but trouble! I cant seem to get enough trade in value to trade it in either. So, I am just letting the vehicle go back and get reposessed. I will get another car, just NOT A CHEVY!!! NEVER AGAIN!

I WILL NOT DRIVE IT ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY WITH MY CHILDREN INSIDE!
  • 2010chevyowner2010chevyowner Member Posts: 1
    I was fortunate enough to experience this problem as I was taking my car out of park. I was very afraid, the car shook horribly. I can't aging what so many of you experienced. My Chevy is a 2010 with only 55000 miles. The dealership replaced the throttle body yesterday. I am praying that resolved the "reduced engine power issue as well as the stability issue but I will keep you posted.
  • chevynitemarechevynitemare Member Posts: 1
    :mad: HAS ANYONE HAD A TRUE DIAGNOSTIC OF WHAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED? I have a 2006 Chevy Impala. I have bn having problems with this car since I reached the 90,000 mile. Transmission was rebuilt last year @ about 97,000 miles. I keep up with the oil change and regular maintenance of the car. So now im at 111,000 miles and the car has started back displaying engine power reduced for the past few days. My uncle has undone my battery cable post, but that only gives me just enough power to get a few blocks down the road. I have had so many small problems with this car besides the almost $3000 rebuilt trans job. So now I'm having to find a mechanic to help with this problem. I called several place today and just to do a diagnostic is starting @ $75 to $105. Not to mention I'm a single mom living paycheck to paycheck, I'm so upset at work rite now I can hardly maintain myself. :(
  • scooks71scooks71 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Pissed because in the middle of traffic today this "Engine Power reduced" Light along with the traction control light pops on and i cant go more then 40mph. Why? The engine has been having a shaky idle for about a week. Kind of studdering before finally acting right. Today, after starting it up, it had the studdering idle again before the "EPR" and "TC" messages came on. Any one get a definite answer and solution to the problem......about how much money are we talking? I have a 2007 Impala LT.
  • johnflindseyjohnflindsey Member Posts: 1
    GM Tech (Cam) : Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) : #PIP4578A: SES Light Idle Surge And/Or Reduced Engine Power Mode With DTCs P0068 P0121 P0506 P0507 P1516 P2101 P2119 And/Or P2176 - Clean Throttle Body And Perform Idle Learn Reset - (Feb 9, 2010)
  • dtrimdtrim Member Posts: 1
    I began having this problem with my '06 Impala in November. My mechanic cleaned the throttle body and everything was okay for a while. He told me that it wasn't likely to be a permanent solution, but that we would try it anyway. The car started acting up again about a week ago, with the RPMs fluctuating by 100-200. Not the smoothest ride these days, but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as what some of you have been dealing with. My mechanic ran a diagnostic and while I couldn't tell you exactly what it said, he did tell me that the throttle body needs to be replaced. As far as cost goes, I know that AutoZone has it listed for around $175. No idea what it would cost you through a shop or dealership.
  • du1152du1152 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem on my 09 Impala. I however replace the pedal assy as Chevy said I was required to do. I just unplugged the connector, cleaned off the contacts, applied some ProGold, and put it back together. I worked in the electronic contact business for years. It is a very poor design by Chevrolet Engineers. Cheap contacts. The next time I will just cut the connector off the wiring harness and solder it to the contacts on the foot pedal. When ever you deal with resistance, you are always better off without connectors. If the humidity gets to high or low, it can affect a connection.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The "reduced power" message is quite often related to the throttle body. It either needs to be serviced or the wiring harness attached to it has a loose wire. Good luck.
  • cornelltrailcornelltrail Member Posts: 6
    Good luck. I also have a 2010 Impala that I just purchased 2 months ago and I have the same issue. Stable light traction light comes on and then reduce engine power goes on. The engine light stays on solid for a few drives cycles.
    It is scary. I also just had a major transmission repair which GM did cover undr warranty. However, I have had the car in the shop more than I have driven it.
    do you know if this is covered under warranty or do you have to cough up the repair yourself>
  • du1152du1152 Member Posts: 5
    It is not covered under the powertrain warranty. It is usually the gas pedal assy that usually causes this to happen, and it is caused by a sensor in the assy. It is just a bad design in my opinion.
  • scooks71scooks71 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my car from the GM dealer here and its an out of pocket expense for me. Roughly $450 to replace a faulty throttle body. If it was a warranty issue I'm outside of it now. 101,574mi. Perfect timing right?
    Good morning,

I want to make sure I understand your post here - you just purchased your vehicle from the GM dealer, or picked it up after servicing it for the Reduced Engine Power concern?

If we can look into this further with you, please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • oqmslauraoqmslaura Member Posts: 1
    I just had the complete throttle body assembly replaced yesterday. 39,000 miles and it was covered. started with check engine light. In Dec the dealer replaced 'secondary air injection valve.' Light stayed off for 2 weeks, then was intermittent until Saturday when we go the 'reduced power' message and it stalled. The report said the throttle body was shorted.
  • rmwhittarmwhitta Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Impala a year ago. I have about 67,000 mls on it, and in the past couple of months I have had a lot of trouble keeping it on the road in wet conditions. I started hearing a rubbing noise in the steering and a chirping noise while backing up when I turn the wheel all the way (both ways), and clunking noises when I turn. Chevy dealer said I had rust on my rotor and it will be fine. I noticed my left front tire was looking low, and when I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation, I was told the lower ball joint was broke and it was causing the tires to ware. I took it to my mechanic. He called Chevy and was told about a bulletin on the cars allignment. GM had a recall for police cars and government cars, but only a bulletin for the public. He fixed the alignment and put new tires on the car, because the front left was down to metal, and the others weren't great. The mechanic said that I shouldn't have any problems with my tires now. However, all of the rubbing, chirping, and clunking noises did not go away. Ideas?
  • lauriebrownlauriebrown Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. It started out shifting hard, occasionally. Then it began shifting hard a lot. Little by little it has gotten worse. The engine power is reduced a lot, service traction control and service brake assist messages pop up. Sometimes it stalls, and wont start. I get a "starting disabled, service throttle" message. I wait five minutes and then it starts. The car runs like crap! I dont want to take it to a dealer because they are too pricey for me. Mine is a 2007 Impala LTZ. I agree, I doubt we are the only ones with this problem.
  • mbryantonmbryanton Member Posts: 1
    What part of the warranty are they covered under?
    I have an Impala 2009 and I'm getting this issue as of today. Reduced engine power and "service traction control" messages.
    If this is not covered under warranty I certainly won't be taking it to a dealership for fixing.

This is obviously a very common issue. Why has there not been a recall? Why is GM not doing anything to address the problem?
  • msadmsad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Impala LT with 48000 miles. The check stabiltrak light came on and reduced engine power light. This is the first time it has done this and from what I read on your forum this is an ongoing problem with GM vehicles. After years of driving Fords, this is my first GM car since 1974 and I'm really disappointed. All of my Fords had over 100,000 miles on them before I had issues. Now I'm told I need to take to the dealer to have it checked and I'm retired and living on a pension. This seems like an engineering problem to me. GM needs to recall these vehicles. I only hope it's something covered under the 100,000 mile warranty.
    Mine was covered. They pushed it through but I had around just over 38,000 miles on mine. I also just two weeks prior to the reduced engine power and stabiletrak come on my whole transmission pump went out. So they may have been being nice. I had to get the throttle body in the foot pedal replaced. I am disappointed to and this is our first GM purchase after years of fords too. We had a lemon of a GM in 1998 and we thought we would give it a try again I wish I would have bought the Ford Fusion for the extra 2500.

Good luck I hope it work out.
    mbryanton,

I see your Impala is a 2009, and may still have bumper to bumper coverage on it; we can check to see what warranties remain on your vehicle if you wanted to email us the last 8 of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com. Have you taken any steps to get this addressed since you posted? I apologize for my late response - sometimes the tool we use to find posts doesn't catch everything.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    msad,

When are you planning on going in to the dealer? Please keep us posted on your progress, and if you would like for us to get involved further, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chvylvrnotchvylvrnot Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    i own a 2008 chevy impala lt 3.9 lt flex fuel it barely has 84000 mile on it. The darn thing is really teeing me off ive replaced 4 sets of tires on this heap and hub bearings struts and almost every other suspension part you can name, to no avail. I am so mad i could spit i wish chevy would recall like they did for the police and govt. cars but no joe public is not as important as the govt. so once again we get screwed and big business wins out. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • debo6debo6 Member Posts: 5
    Iam having the same problem with my car. My problems started two months ago. Reduce engine power. 1st problem with this car,I was driving on I45 going to Houston,Texas. Darn car stopped on the highway. Thank God,after I completely turn the motor off,let it sit for 15 min.started the car. completed my trip. Now the car has that message every other day"reduce engine power" I am about to trade this car in for an Altima. Hopeful GM will do a recall before someone is killed.
  • k200385k200385 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the car for a while now...right at 80000 miles and this light pops on five minutes after I pull off. I do not know much of anything about cars, so I turned right around and came back home. what does this mean?
  • heather85heather85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LT. I have had this car since October 2011. There was approx. 68,000 miles on it when I got it. Ever since I have had the car the dash has flashed 'Traction Control Malfunction' followed by 'Reduced Engine Power' then the check engine light would come on. I would pull over, turn the car off, and let it sit for at least a minute. When I would turn the car back on it would be back to normal. At first, this would only happen every few weeks when going uphill or right after it would rain so I really didn't think it was a major issue. About a month ago I gave someone a jump and noticed afterwards that my check engine light was on. I took my car to AutoZone and had them read the codes. The codes it was giving were: P0172 running rich bank one, an O2 sensor (that's no big deal and easy to replace), P2138 Throttle Position Sensor, and it said that the Powertrain Control Module indicated a Traction Control Malfunction (which was already known). I reviewed my warranty manual and found that all of these problems should be covered under my powertrain warranty. I took it to the dealership so they could look into it further by running a diagnostics test and hopefully fix the problems free of charge. I got a call back the next day from the service department and was informed that the problem was my GAS PEDAL. I asked about the other codes that I had found and also asked why my check engine light was on and they told me that they really didn't know. Hmmm. I was told that the gas pedal was not covered under the warranty, but really needed to be replaced for safety issues. I declined to let them fix it because the price was a little too steep for me. My questions are: Could a bad gas pedal trick my car into thinking that all of those other things are wrong? Why could the dealership not tell me why my check engine light was on? Shouldn't a bad gas pedal be important enough to list as a recall item? Where do I go from here?
    Take it to another GM dealer. My throttle bottle sensor was bad, which I believe is in you gas pedal. I am looking at my service ticket right now and it says the accelerator pedal position sensor was replaced. I do think this should be a recall as it seems to be far too common. I was lucky and mine was still under warranty. Although mine is only a 2011 and has had its fair share of issues.

I hope this helps!
  • jerseygmdriverjerseygmdriver Member Posts: 3
    I have been having similar problems with my 08 Impala. It felt like it was hesitating, Or slipping, for about a week. Then one morning I pulled out of a parking area and the car just dropped off with no power. and I got a Reduced Engine Power message. When I took it to the dealer. I was told they found a shorted out wire or something. and that was the problem. I also checked my Trans. Fluid on the day I took the car in. It was showing slightly low. But they didn't check any of that. as a matter of fact I had an oil change done the same day and they never topped any of the fluids. But back to the Reduced power, as I said they told me the shorted wire was the problem. Well it has been Two and a half weeks since then and the problem is back. I would like to know what can be done about it? I hope someone from GM sees this and gives me a reply. Thanks.
  • jerseygmdriverjerseygmdriver Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    I posted this as a reply to another post. But I wanted to have it posted on it's own. Or as it's own message. So I have had the Message reduced engine power come up again after it was supposedly fixed at the dealer. The first time it happened, I had a slight hesitation. And sometimes it felt as though the Transmission was slipping. Then I got the reduced Engine Power message. On the day of my service appt. I checked my trans fluid. it showed slightly low. I told the dealership this but when they checked for what was causing the reduced power message. they said it was a shorted out wire. they supposedly fixed this and told me that was it. Well I have the problem again. I still have warranty on my drive train. I hope what ever is the problem will be covered. Because the wire issue already cost me $200.00 Does anyone know what I can do? As I said in the last message. I hope A GM Rep sees this and gives me a reply.
    Good morning jerseygmdriver,

Thanks for posting - I'm sorry that the wire didn't turn out to be the root of the reduced engine situation. If you were planning on continuing to work with your dealership, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership and details about any visit(s) there that had to do with the reduced engine power message) and we'd be happy to look into this further with you.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • vincode1gvincode1g Member Posts: 2
    Same problem here. I have a 2007 with the 3.5L V6. 66k miles. I did some checking and the solution is a replacement thottle body.

The throttle plate is driven by a small electric motor, not a cable. The pedal provides input for the motor to open the throttle plate and close the throttle plate. The computer also will open or close the plate for A/C at idle, warm up etc. This is called 'drive by wire'

The motor has a plastic gear inside that engages a pinion gear on the throttle plate. The plastic gear was worn and it was jumping on the teeth. This is a poor design. I own other GM vehicles with drive by wire and some have over 200k miles. GM may have switched suppliers or a redesign for cost reduction. It's hard to say as that would only be conjecture. The problem seems to be mostly on V6 Engines (3.5, 3.6, 3.9L) made in Ontario. Again this is not fact but an observation. I do believe GM knows about the problem. The fact this doesnt throw a trouble code is disturbing. Let's hope the mistake is not repeated.
  • vincode1gvincode1g Member Posts: 2
    here is a link on how to repair the TB

http://www.autorepairinstructions.com/?cat=28

">
  • av2010av2010 Member Posts: 1
    Apparently my reply to gmcustsvcsarah didn't go through. I stated that my car ('08 Impala ~ 82k miles) had both the Engine power is reduced and Service Traction Control messages pop up in my display today, so I did a Google search to see what could be wrong. I was surprised to see that several others have had this issue.

My question: 1. Why haven't you stepped up GM to do something about this clearly recurring problem?

I have had a Chevy since I was 16. I have gone through 3 Cavaliers and bought my Impala a couple years ago. I have always been an advocate for Chevy, but based on this I may have to switch to a Toyota. I need reliability, not American-made. And, although I love to buy American as much as I can, I don't need to be driving my children around in a car that has issues that are clearly known about by the manufacturer, as Edmunds is a place to track comments. Stop turning the other cheek and correct this problem!! :sick:
    av2010,

It's odd that your message didn't go through! Had you heard back from Christina at socialmedia@gm.com? Perhaps resend?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please try sending your email again and be sure to retype the "@" in the address. To prevent emails from being scraped by spam bots, our Forums renders that symbol as a .jpg.
  • stealmyjoystealmyjoy Member Posts: 2
    I'm one of many who has a problem with my 08 Chevy impala who was on the turnpike today when my car read a message engine power reduced followed by disabling throttle and my car shut off I was almost taken off the highway by a truck or 2 because the car completely shut down as a student I cannot have these kind of problems to worry about and the Chevy dealer in my area told me to cut my car off turn it back on nd try to make it home or get it towed but they probably won't know how to fix it because the error MSG could mean changing the gas pedal or something electrical. If I were dead as a result of such a malfunction what would Chevy do about that ! I want good service and I'm not sure if Chevy can provide me with that # get it together I'm starting a petition for a recall
  • stealmyjoystealmyjoy Member Posts: 2
    Safety first Chevy recall on change.org sign the petition
  • debo6debo6 Member Posts: 5
    same thing happen to me this weekend,return trip from Houston,Texas. Car went dead on the freeway with my grandchildren in the back seat. I hope Gm Does not wait until someone loose a life or two,before they do a recall.
  • dixonmrdixonmr Member Posts: 1
    This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I have a 2007 Chevy Impala and have had the "Check Engine" Light on for about a year now. I brought the vehicle to several Chevy Dealerships in Virginia and New York and have spent thousands of dollars in repairs which were supposed to fix this problem. Last week I had a situation in which I was driving on the highway and the car said "Reduced Engine Power" and shut-off on the middle of the highway. This is extremely dangerous and there should be a recall done immediately before someone gets seriously injured by this. It is obvious this is a huge problem many people with 2007 Chevy Imapala's are having. If GM wants continued support, they better do something about this.