Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Legacy: Strange Noise from rear of car

tapone1tapone1 Member Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in Subaru
When turning 90 degrees from a dead stop, there is a noise almost like you are driving over the "rumble" strips on the side of the road. It is not as loud or high pitched as that noise, but low and muffled. My car does it turning in either direction. If I take the same turn at any speed, no noise. Subaru dealer service department says it is just the AWD system and is normal. Is it? Called the salseman who drives a Subaru Impreza and he says his does the same.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    edited September 2010
    Not normal. Not at all.

I suspect the bushing on the center driveshaft bearing is bad. Under high torque situations, it is "wobbling." I know it seems odd that something like this would happen to a new car, but this is a molded rubber bushing, so it is possible that it was defective upon molding.

I would definitely take it to a dealership for a warranty claim. If the problem is what I suspect, it doesn't really hurt anything when it happens, but it will only get worse as time goes on. If it is not that but something else, then it could be causing other damage.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.