Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda CR-V

rose920rose920 Member Posts: 14
Does anyone know if there are an interior color changes in the 2011? I hate black and the exterior colors that I like come only in black. What happened to ordering the colors you want? :-(

Does anyone know what the Special Edition of the CR-V will be? Any changes to interior colors?

Comments

• regulator2regulator2 Member Posts: 3
    Honda's website has been updated with all the 2011 CR-V pricing, trim lines, and colors. Not many color changes, the cloth black is not available with silver, and biege cloth not available with black. The SE is positioned between the LX and the EX. Otherwise pretty much the same as 2010's. Major changes sould be in 2012.
  • whchuangwhchuang Member Posts: 6
    black interior is not that bad, especially if you have a kid. you could also get aftermarket leather seats or leather seat covers to change the look, hope this helps
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I dunno, black shows every bit of dirt and dust, and its not appealing getting into a hot car interior.
  • stoneypastoneypa Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2011 EX urban titanium CR-V and the black interior is TERRIBLE. Black leather on the EX-L wouldn't be so bad but the black fabric shows anything and everything, especially with kids! So much so, that I'm inquiring as to how much the dealer will charge me to trade it in already (120 miles on it). Not sure why they chose a pitch-black black as a charcoal gray would be a huge improvement. If I decide to trade in, then I'm stuck with an exterior color that wasn't my first choice... either silver or royal blue.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited December 2010
    C'mon...is it really THAT bad?

When we bought our 2007 Accord we had a choice of black or grey interior and we chose black because it looked better.

Yes, the black showed dust and lint more but a lint roller did a good job of cleaning things up.

It certainly wasn't that big of a deal at least for us.
    I'll tell you Isell, my wife and I each had a car with black interior ONCE, before we knew each other. To this day neither of us will consider another one. They are hot and next to impossible to keep looking good unless you fuss with it constantly. But I'm sure that's an individual thing. I wouldn't dump it right away and take the depreciation bite though. I'd just live with it and learn for the future. I'm not sure why, but Honda seems to have a lot of black interiors for some reason. I think I see them more on Honda than other brands. I'm sure it works for Honda though or it wouldn't still be that way I suppose.
    Here in Seattle heat in the summer isn't a problem.

Yes, they certainly do show dust and lint but my sticky roller did a pretty good job. The grey interiors show the dust too but not nearly as bad.

I just can't imagine a person so upset that they would be thinking of taking a big depreciation hit ESPECIALLY when they knew the interior was balck when they bought it!
    ESPECIALLY when they knew the interior was balck when they bought it!

In all fairness, if they hadn't had a black interior before I can see where they could be a bit surprised and unhappy.
    The way that I personally see it is that I want to be totally happy with my purchase. If I made a mistake in doing so, I'm going to correct that mistake, pay for it if need be, and definitely learn from it. I've kept my last two vehicles for over 7 years each, so I like to buy and hold my cars until the point at which repairs could start creeping up.

In my opinion, losing out on a thousand bucks or so is no big deal in this case as long as I'm much happier with the purchase. If I were a person that likes to lease, then yeah, maybe two years is fine to live with a choice I don't love. Everyone has a different thought process and value when it comes to money.

As berri had pointed out, I never had a black interior... maybe a medium charcoal gray, but far from a true black like this vehicle. Now I know that I absolutely don't like it but I've learned a valuable and somewhat costly lesson. Life goes on...
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2010
    The black looks greatin the 2011 CRV, however I agree the black shows everything even after you just vacum it. The problem is in the type of material that's it has, the velvet touch is a magnet. My Pont. Torrent has black seats but it's woven and nothing really sticks to it like the CRV's. But I have no problem living with it for 3 years.
    Perfectly stated packer3!!! What were the designers smoking when they chose that material for a vehicle? It definitely has a velvety/suede texture to it.

I didn't check out the SE but the pictures look like that material is a better fit. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, traded in my black-interiored Urban Titanium for a gray-interiored Alabaster Silver and much happier now. Still have to deal with the poor choice of materials but at least it won't show nearly as much.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Have you held off on a car purchase because you're waiting for a better deal? Or did you go ahead and buy because you assume car prices could just rise even further this summer? An Associated Press reporter would like to talk with you. Please send your contact information to Aaron Lewis at pr@edmunds.com."
  • idic5idic5 Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2011
    I was considering a 2011 cr-v and had a few questions:

1) I have a 5 bike hollywood bike carrier rack that requires a 2 inch receiver hitch. Can a 2 inch recveiver hitch be installed on a cr-v and can it tote the 5 bikes safely

2) can a third row of seats be installed on a 2011 cr-v?

3) can a sears 20 cargo carrier be fitted on a 2011 cr-v? THe website for this carrier is unclear.

4) how comfortable can three people sit in the rear seats of the cr-v? say, for a 3 hr trip or a 8 hr trip? people=1 petite 16 yr old girl, one thin 18 yr boy, and one petite 20 yr old girl - my kids.

5)Sub question: the middle area of the rear seat seems like an afterthought compared to the left and right seats. Does the middle rear seat row area have the same hip , shoulder and leg room as is reported in honda's specs ? if so, then why is the rear floor mat not a rectangle?

6) how does the 2011 cr-v compare to the 2011 rav4? Why get a crv and not a rav4?

7) for regular maintenance, can you go to you local mechanic? this wd be my first new car.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Wow! Just leased a polished met metallic with black interior and I love it. It's CLOTH, no heat problems. I like the texture and so far it is not showing anything! To each his own I guess!
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I have a 2010 CRV LX 2WD. I gather from your post that you'd like to try to travel with 5 adult people, 5 bikes, and a roof mounted carrier in a CRV. Given the performance of my CRV with 2 people aboard, and the rear loaded pretty heavy, I think you'd be sorely dissappointed with both the performance and the fuel economy of the CRV. My CRV is not that comfortable on long trips, gets mediocre fuel economy at interstate speeds, and is quite noisy. Your three adult sized children would be a tight squeeze as well in the CRV's rear seat, and, no, you can't add a third row of seats. The RAV does offer a V6 option that's more suited to your needs, but, its tight inside too. IHMO, a Toyota Highlander, or, perhaps, a Honda Pilot would handle your needs better. You simply need more vehicle than a CRV. its too small and under-powered. Yes, a local mechanic can do the service on these things, but, it has to be a good local mechanic. I do my own service on mine.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    Seriously you need a bigger car such as a Pilot.

It it what it is. It's not a heavy duty truck.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    The 2011 is slow on acceration, my 2008 was better. Have the ac on, forget about it.

Not bad overall, better than my piece of junk 2010 Escape for which it was traded.

Regarding acceleration, recently got toasted by a newer Forester. Hope he at least had a manual compared to my automatic. I do not think it was a turbo. Actually I like the looks of the Forester better, it's just that the abs is to sensitive in the winter snow. Seems like they have not corrected it yet.

Oh yes, fuel economy nothing to write home about with even just me in it.
    This is hard to understand.

The 2011 CRV's went from 166 HP to 180. We have one of each and the 2011 is MUCH faster than the 2003. It's alos much quietier.

Again, it is what it is. It's not a race car.
    The problem with the CRV is that it makes it's peak torque at 4400 RPM and peak HP at 6800. Mine doesn't make enough torque at interstate speeds to even climb a modest grade in 5th. Hence a lot of downshifts, climbing hills at 4000 RPM, and mediocre fuel economy. My CRV's stablemate, a European SUV, about the same size as the CRV, makes peak torque at 2400, and is significantly quicker. IMHO, Honda could have done a much better job with the induction and VVT systems on the 2.4 engine to improve its low end performance and give it a much broader peak torque range. By comparison, in 2003, I owned a British car that weighed 3800 pounds, had AWD, a 5 speed automatic, and was equipped with a 2.5 liter engine rated at 192 HP, and, basically made peak torque (about 200 ft. lbs.) from 2000 to 6000 RPM. It got better fuel economy than my CRV and was much quicker.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    I respect your opinion but totally disagree with you. Our CRV's have more than adequate power especially the 2011.
    edited September 2011
    "Seriously you need a bigger car such as a Pilot. "

So that would be a NO to all 7 of my questions from isellhondas? Can I get a 2011 Pilot for $25k out the door? $25k is all I got.

"It it what it is. It's not a heavy duty truck."

It has 5 seatbelts. 5 can sit in the back. I was curious about the usage of V owners. The spec says 1500 lbs can be towed. I was curious about the practicality of hooking a 100 lb bike carrier with a 100 lbs of bikes on it. The 3rd row question was broached when I saw the toyota clone of this car had a 3rd row. It is not unheard of for mini suv's to have 3 rows of seating - the kia sorrento has it, too, eg. I have since found out that the crv does not have the 3 rows.

I actually put a fully loaded sears 20 cargo carrier and 5 bike carrier attached to a 2 inch recvr, w/ 5 people inside and a bunch of camping gear hitch on my previous car, a 168 HP 4 cyl toyota previa. Shouldn't a 180 hp crv be able to tote this same stuff? The V tolerances says it will be able to tow 1500 lbs. THe bike carrier plus bikes is probably around 200 lbs.

IS that 1500 lb figure also include total wt of occupants?

These HP specs are numbers. I was curious about your experiences as V owners.

The seating 'comfortably' is kind of subjective. My wife , myself and my 16 yr old daughter went in the back of a test V on the weekend and we all her comfortable - sitting in the dealer lot. don't know how we'd be on a 8 yr drive to Mn. But I wd nt be back there and I a wide body guy. but even as a wide body guy I was surprised how comfortable it was.
    My 2010 has the same HP and torque as the 2011. Guess our definition of "adequate" power differs. Anyway, that's one of the reasons why there's not a second Honda sitting in my garage.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    I suggest that you might consider a 2011 Chevy Traverse.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    A CRV can tow 1500 pounds.

Yes, comfortable is indeed, subjective and the back seat will seat three people.

I suppose a CRV would work for you in a pinch.

No, 25,000 will not buy a new Pilot OTD but a nice used one might be a good option for you.
    It says cloth, but I'd like to know the 'ingredients'. One reason is that I saw in a ford escape article that said the 'cloth' upholstery in the introductory Escape's trim was made from recycled plastic.

Can someone please tell me and show me as back up that the cloth interior of the intro CRV trim, the LX, is made from good ol' cotton or something close to this?
    also include assembly location / country.
    Mostly Japan but also in England and I believe some are made in Canada.
    edited September 2011
    I am considering buying a 2011 CR-v, and in my test drive I had three people in the back seat, and I was quite surprised when I glanced over my right shoulder that I could not see my blind spot - the area in front of what the rear view mirror could see - since my passenger was there (also, that new pillar in the gen 3 re-design has already obscured this visibility as it is).

So ,

current owners of gen 3 V's, what do you do when you make a right lane change? Can you still do a shoulder check ? Do u rely on the rigth mirror? Is that adequate to catch things in this blind area?

I have come from mini vans in the past and was always used to very good visibility in all directions and so was surprised in this test drive. The last time I had test driven a cr-v was to replace my previa, and it was the gen-2 version and I felt there was outstanding visibility all the way around in that version - equal to or exceeding the previa. I decided to keep the old previa going , but now it has finally bit the dust and so am in the market again, and am looking at the cr-v again.

Why did Honda reduce its great visibility from side to side with those big old' pillars and small side windows from what they had in previous generations, which afforded very good sight lines all around not unlike a mini van?

But beyond this question, do you gen 3 cr-v owners find this apparent of lack of right side visibility acceptable? Again, how do you negotiate right lane changes , especially when there is a passenger in the left position of the rear seat?
    We have both a 2003 and a 2011 CRV and I'm not bothered by this. In Driver's Training they beat it into us to always look over our shoulder and not rely on mirrors and I guess I still remember that.

CRV's have the best rollover protection of any cars in it's class and unfortunatly having wider pillars helps this happen.

But, what doesn't bother one person can be a big deal to others.
  • autobusautobus Member Posts: 3
    I was almost convinced on buying a 2011 Honda CR-V (4WD) after test driving it and comparing it to Forester (seats too small), Rav4 AWD 6cyl (too noisy), Tiguan, Sportage, and Rogue. Then I saw this video demonstrating the Honda's 4WD system to other AWD systems Demo

Can anyone comment on their experience with a CR-V's 4WD system in the snow/ice?

Thanks.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Interesting video. Whether the test conditions recreate real world conditions is unknown, although they look reasonable to me. Not in doubt, however, is that the Subaru has a superior 4WD system compared its more popular competitors.

No one should buy a CR-V expecting performance up to serious off-road use or arctic winter driving conditions. Like others in its class, its a practical utility vehicle with a 4WD system intended for light duty use. It improves winter driving traction.

For normal every-day driving, I think the CR-V is the better choice. But if one expects to rely on winter driving capability, then I'd choose something else.
    We currently own two CRV's. Both are 4WD. One is a 2003 and the other a 2011. We also had a 2000.

All have done fine in the snow without winter tires. For serious snow driving there may be better choices but our CRV's have always done the job.

Our son bought a new 2009 Subaru Impreza. He really felt confident and good to go until it snowed the first time. He got stuck on a hill unable to move and a RWD Miata went around him!!

The Miata belonged to a co-worker who gave credit to the Blizzak tires he had installed on all four wheels.

The next week, the Impreza got a set of Blizzaks too and a MAJOR, HUGE improvement was noted!

If I was forced to commute, I would throw a set of those on our 2003 CRV.
  • autobusautobus Member Posts: 3
    No doubt that good snows will help. I'm just wondering how effective the Honda CR-V "4WD" is. I'm considering a 2011 model and also considering a 2011 Subaru Outback. Thanks
    As I said, ours have served us well.

A couple of years ago, it snowed so hard on my way to work I was ready to turn around but I kept going and it did just fine even going up a pretty steep hill without winter tires.

Could a different car do better? Perhaps, but I was pleased by the way ours have performed.
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    Subarus have been snow-belt cars since they were first introduced in the 1970's. That was their initial niche.

All things the same (engine, transmission, tires) my bet would be that either the Subaru Forester or Outback would beat my wife's 2008 CR-V EX-L AWD in heavy snow (6 inches or more). That said, she's never gotten stuck in the winter on the country roads around St. Louis, MO, she really likes the CR-V's utility in carrying plants, and the dealership is only 5 miles away (vice 20 for the Subaru dealership). So it really comes down to what vehicle works best for you in day-to-day use, dealership distance, and the number of blizzards you drive through in a typical year.
  • hecko007hecko007 Member Posts: 1
    I think several of the newer cars, including the CrossTour and CRV, look more sporty, but the manufacturers are doing the consumers a huge disservice by putting out these cars with compromised rear visability due to the sloping hood, small rear windows, and wide rear columns.

Just don't buy 'em! Or purchase an earlier model with larger windows.
    This is called rollover protection.

You can't have both. Thin pillars and excellent rollover protection.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The 2011 CRV's went from 166 HP to 180. We have one of each and the 2011 is MUCH faster than the 2003. It's alos much quietier.

We have a 2005 CR-V EX 5 spd MAN, and 2010 CR-V EX 5 spd AUTO, and the 2005 is much more responsive, and actually faster according to all the car magazine tests than the 2010 with 180 hp.

It is the transmission that is holding the 2010 back. The most annoying, indecisive transmission. But, it is good for people who don't want to be bothered with driving which actually behind the wheel.

And as much as my wife insisted on buying her new car with atuomatic, she prefers diving mine, even when sitting in traffic. It is just a better driver's car, over all.

Yeah, 2010 is quieter, but means nothing when it is hassle to drive it.
    I've never found any of our CRV automatics to be "annoying" or "indecisive".

And, for the life of me, I can't understand how driving a 2010 CRV can be a "hassle" to drive?

The 5 speed CRV's were a dog to sell. As a large store, we tried to keep a couple on hand but unless you found that one person who had to have a stick, they just sat on the lot. Trying to sell a used 5 speed was even harder.

When they quit making 5 speeds it wasn't a surprise to anyone.

I'll drag race a 2005 5 speed with our 2011 ANY day!

Well....back when I was a street racer I was always getting in trouble so better not!