Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

6 cyl Wheel Spin if wet (starting from stopped)?

pcguyspcguys Member Posts: 24
edited October 2014 in Subaru
With a 6 cyl Outback:

if it's raining, and you are stopped, then slam on the gas, will the wheels spin, or does it maintain traction?

2 cars ago, I had a fast 6 cyl accord, and if it was wet, and I slammed on the gas, the front wheels would spin out (I hated that).

My tribeca doesn't do that, but it's a lumbering 4,000 pounds, so I'm not sure if I can assume the lighter outback with the same engine would behave the same way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I have to presume your previous Accord didn't have traction control. Your Tribeca does and that is probably why you don't have wheel spin upon heavy acceleration. I would presume that a new Outback would have traction control and the result would be the same as your Tribeca.
  • pcguyspcguys Member Posts: 24
    My old accord DID have traction control. I know it activated in snow conditions during heavy acceleration.

It was 6 years ago, so my memory might be fuzzy, but I seem to recall when the wheels spin out, the yellow skid/traction light went on, and maybe it disengaged the engine, but the thing I know with great certainty is that I could make the wheels spin in wet / sudden accel.

Maybe traction traction control is inherently reactive (only kicks in after the spin-out)

Mike
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    When then your traction control was working as designed. It's a brake based system that applies the brakes. Technically, the wheels were spinning out when the brake was released leading to a chattering affect.

Tire condition can affect it as well. I know my Passat with TC and the current well worn tires will activate the TC system in the rain. When the tires were new, it didn't happen as much.

Good Luck.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I would be very surprised if the Subaru "spins out." Even on gravel, it will barely slip a tire.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The AWD splits power 45/55 by default, so wheelspin is unlikely unless traction is very poor.

It doesn't have to react, the power is already distributed.
  • okaniokani Member Posts: 20
    Yes, till 2009 models accord was spinning during the rain when you try to start from full stop - happen to me multiple times with my 09 v6 accord, I hated it but it was related to OEM tires - that model of Michelin is so bad so the moment I replaced them on Bridgestone Potenza 960 A/S - I had no issues at all. with OEM tires it was dangerous to drive during the snow and you almost had to make a full stop to make a turns or get on a ramps because I had a feeling I would just sway out during U-turns, luckily it is all gone after tire replacement - OEM tires were good for mpg may be but the worth tires ever, I guess the worst part was that they were 93V - not good for the car weight, recently I went to dealership to test drive 2011 accord - they use now Firestone - which is a way better. But listen, now I can run at 50mph to make a turn right or left and i kick everyone's butt at red lights etc. My family is growing and that's why I'm here now looking at Subaru Tribeca - making my homework before buying, you can find all that info about bad tires on accord forum btw.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tires are a huge factor, 2nd only perhaps to the driver.
This discussion has been closed.