Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Warranty of 2010 Forester

nasridinenasridine Member Posts: 11
edited August 2014 in Subaru
What is the original warranty that comes with the car? I didn't purchase any extended warranty. Was looking thru all the documents for the car. Only found the maintainance form which covers mantaince for the first 2 years. Does it also include the basic repair?

The power outlet is broken. Can I get it fixed for free?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    The warranty on US cars is 3 years or 36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper (this would cover things like your power outlet). The drivetrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles.

The factory warranty does not include maintenance (which would be things like filters, fluids, etc).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nasridinenasridine Member Posts: 11
    Good to know that, but I don't think I have the warranty form. Can I just go to the dealer, tell them what's wrong and get the repair? Where can I find the detailed info for the warranty, like what's covered, what's not?
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The power outlet is broken. Can I get it fixed for free?

Do you mean not working or physically broken? The outlet has a limited current capacity and a fuse to prevent overload. What have you plugged in to the outlet? AFIK it is limited to 10 amps max. Abuse might not be covered. Monster audio amps that take more than 120 watts probably will blow the fuse. Check the fuse.
    Sorry, it is not working. I have peeked inside and everything looks fine. It went dead after I plugged in the GPS cable last time. The connector of the GPS cable was damaged when I pulled it out. Now it won't work for anything. The indicator won't light up.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wonder if the GPS plug caused the damage?

The warranty will cover a part failure, but not if it was physically damaged.

The "adjustment period" covers only the first 12 months, in that time frame they'll even replace windshield wipers.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/warranties-2009.html

Depending on why it is not working, it is possible you will have to foot the bill on the power outlet repair. If the cord that was plugged in is faulty, then the car is not to blame on this one. Have you used that cord with anything else? Is there any visible wear/damage on it?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Actually I bought my car last December, so it is still within 12 months. What is the adjustment period? Anything is wrong, they fix it for free? Even some body damage, like scratches and stuff?
    Thanks for the link. How do I make a warranty claim? Is there any form that I can download from the website or they have it at the dealer?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Squeeks and rattles, that sort of stuff.

I don't think scratches would be covered.

Basically anything that was made faulty, rather than things that were broken.
    Just got off the phone with the subaru customer service, and you are right. The scratches due to outside source are not covered.
This discussion has been closed.