Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Jeff, I had a remote start for my 98 Cherokee and loved it! I would start it up as I got out of the shower in the morning, and then "refresh" it after getting dressed and ready. It only runs for about 12-15 minutes. When you get close to that time being up, you hit the button again and it'll run another 12-15.

I would love to get one for my 99tj but it's a manual transmission and I hear it's not legal to install (in CT). If I can find a work-around I might try.

-Dan
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I wanted to drive the 5.7 Hemi, but after finishing the "off road" course, the line was long at the 5.7 on road, I would have stayed if I had thought to wear my carharts, but i just had on a leather jacket.

loved the teeter totter.

jeff

PS,, if anyone is looking to buy a jeep soon you might want to go to a Jeep 101 event, they were giving out $500 coupons (good on anything except unlimited, why is that? ) they have a code on them identifying the person they were given to, otherwise you could have mine, i won't be buying another until this one is paid for.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sorry the day in Chicago ended up so cold - the 5.7 Hemi JGC is fun to drive on their on-road course.

Remote starters? Hey, this is a Jeep. We're supposed to give up luxury for the pleasure of driving one! That's what I keep telling myself whenever I think about the heated seats I gave up to get the Unlimited.

My other half is not feeling well today so I drove in this morning (he usually drives in, I drive home). I think the Unlimited's heater is even better than the Sport, so I don't think I'd really want a remote starter. We stop first thing for gas every day now, and by that time the Wrangler is warmed up so we'll shed our coats then.

And I really like that auto dimming mirror - definitely worth it for me. Notice all those luxury items I have, and I'm talking about giving them up...

Now a question - I've read about other cars having computers that "learn your driving habits." I wonder if the Wrangler's computer does that or if what I'm seeing is just it breaking in. I've been using the cruise control going up the Grapevine and at first it would drop about 5 mph before it would downshift. If I were driving it seemed really reluctant to downshift - I'd often take the overdrive off to try to maintain speed. The good thing about it's reluctance to shift is that it doesn't hunt - if it downshifts it stays there a while. Now it seems like it is more willing to shift down, which is better for maintaining speed, and it still stays there a while. I wondered if the fact that it shifts sooner is a factor of the computer or just breaking in?

Also, should I get a tranny cooler - I haven't yet, but have thought of it ever since I decided to get an auto. Would I be OK without one?
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mac, I sure want to hear YOUR take on this, but I have heard that a tranny cooler is a real good thing to have, even if you are not going to be towing a lot. It will extend the life of the tranny.

True or false, Mac?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The biggest enemies of an auto tranny are heat and contamination. Overheating causes the fluid to break down and deposit varnish which clogs up the internal passages. The clutch plates burn and start to break up, which sends particles of friction material throughout the tranny and its cooling system.

Fitting a cooler is excellent inexpensive insurance. I like to fit an external filter as well. A cheap cooler kit can be bought for around $30-$40. However, if you spend $60 more, you can have an effective high quality supplemental cooling and filtering system. Rather good value when you consider the price of a transmission overhaul!

I like, and personally use, the following cooler and filter. The B&M cooler costs $60 and the filter kit $30. The spin-on filter is the same as the large one that can be fitted to the 4.0, or the standard 4.0 filter can be used. Either way, it simplifies the number of filters you need to keep on the shelf.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&- - - - - N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=transmision+cooler&x=10&a- mp;a- mp;a- mp;y=4

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&- N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=remote+transmission+filter&am- p;am- p;am- p;x=15&y=6

You just need to add two more of the brass barbed fittings (to fit in the cooler), another couple of feet of transmission hose and clamps, and a couple of quarts of fluid. The filter housing has a tapping for a temp gauge sensor if you want to fit one. It's all simple to fit and shouldn't take more than an easy two or three hours.

Finally, yes you can get by without one, especially if you can guarantee that you'll never be in a situation that overheats your transmission. (Getting caught in slow moving traffic while climbing a long incline can be enough to start things off, never mind what towing a trailer can do.)
  • Options
    dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    I would like to know what you guys have put on your 4.0L's to make them sound better(I like loud and good sounding exhaust)? I like Flowmaster because they also increase performance, but I have never heard them on a 4.0L. I would just like to know what makes the 4.0L sound good(my parents have a JGC with a 4.0, and if the CJ thing don't work out for me I'm going Cherokee). Our JGC makes quite a noise as it is for a luxury SUV, it's kind of high pitched but not enough to not like it, but I'd like it to be deeper anyway, what do you guys suggest.

Thanks for all the answered questions and stuff, I feel like I know more than our closest Chrystler dealership, you guys know your stuff.
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the reply. I will check it out. John
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Tom. Thanks. I am going into Jeep.com. This is just what I am looking for. Where do you get this info? It is greatly appreciated. Will let you know how I make out with the inquiry. Its a strange obsession.I collect old pocket knives and Jeep people remind me of pocket knife collectors (the ultimate compliment). Eager to help each other, honest, interesting folks, love to talk about their interest AND obsessed with that interest. Go Easy and many thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge. John
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

If I ever have an auto tranny, that is something I think I would be adding.

Tom

• Options
    Not sure whose muffler sounds the best on a 4.0, but I have heard some Gibsons that sound pretty mean. Are they the makers of the Flowmaster?

Tom

• Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Hi everybody!

Yes, mtngal, it's true. Chrysler's 4 speed automatic has always learned, or attempted to learn the driver's habits. This can make the transmission act funny when more than one driver drives the Jeep...or if you have driving mood swings. :-)

As for me... I decided against the Wrangler, despite how much I love them. I realized that I would never be able to live with one as my only vehicle... way too impractical, and folding the seat is not an option. I got a Liberty instead. Much more space. Other than that, they're both bricks on wheels, with the Lib being slightly rounder, and just like Wranglers... can make weird noises at times, heh.

Marlon

Have you hugged your Jeep today? I know I did... twice.
  • Options
    Mac - Thanks for the info I've printed it out and will definitely look at doing something like this, even though I don't tow a trailer. I have been stuck in huge backups on the Grapevine before (several times due to brush fires and once in an ice storm). How often do you change the filter? I'd probably go to a shop that does tranny stuff for the install - this looks well beyond my (non) mechanical abilities. But I think I'd probably change the filter myself since it is aftermarket and if it is easy enough to do. Do you have to change the tranny fluid at the same time (I assume, but got to ask).

Marlon - the Lib is a nice Jeep. Definitely more "civilized" but still quite capable, and lots of fun to drive. I would have bought one if it had been more comfortable on the passenger side for me

There are things I prefer about the seats in my old '98 Sport and things that are better in the '04 Unlimited. The Unlimited isn't uncomfortable or anything - it just fits my back differently, and it's harder for me to see over the steering wheel/dash.
  • Options
    That's not the thing... Wrangler can't carry anything. :-) Wrangler Unlimited was $2000 more expensive....so, Liberty it is! You're right about the Libby's seats.. they suck in comparison to the ones in the Wrangler. Comfortable *enough* for me, but definitely not the best. I've been in better seats.

On a side note, there is an H2 parked across the street... >:-( Ugh... 9MPG pigs.
  • Options
    I change the spin-on filter every third engine oil change i.e. every 9k. Remember it holds about a pint of fluid. The transmission fluid gets changed every 30k. However, your four speed may have a different fluid change interval....... your handbook will have the correct information.

Auto transmission fluid doesn't get contaminated in the same way that engine oil does unless it gets overheated, or water or dust get drawn in through the breather.
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Martin,

Thanks for the info. I filled it ($37.94 WOW) so it has fresh gas. The cap seems OK. I will ride it out a few days, then take it in if it does not go out. Seems like I read somewhere (maybe here) that it takes 40 start and warm up cycles to clear the code.

Terry
  • Options
    I think you can disconnect the battery for a couple hours (not sure how long it really takes), and this will clear the code.

You will have to reset your clock and pre-set radio stations.

Mac?????

Tom

• Options
    I think you're right, Tom, but it doesn't take *hours*.... maybe 1 hour, at most, to clear codes.
  • Options
    Just a few minutes, and 'yes' on the clock and radio.
  • Options
    Thought I would share these shots a buddy of mine took of Thelma Jane in Buttpucker Gulch and in the Gauntlet last Saturday, the 16th.

This first pic shows how far you could slip one side of the Jeep down into the gully if the proper line is not followed.

Here's how precarious the situation gets sometimes. Sure have to wonder what is holding that right rear tire onto that gully wall, don't ya? Well, about three weeks ago, nothing DID hold it there. :( (That's when I got the damage to the right rear corner of my hard top and when those "ugly" corner panels did their job.)

I made it fine through Buttpucker Gulch this day (16th), and the credit goes entirely to the spotter. From the drivers seat, you cannot see the way the gully twists or where your tires are in relation to the sides of the gully. You must have a good spotter, and you must trust him enough to do what he tells you. As you are twisting through BP Gulch, you are also climbing up the hill, so you just see your hood as you look out the windshield. Sometime you just see your spotter's hands sticking up, pointing to tell you which way to go. You can hear him too, of course.

I didn't have such good luck in the Gauntlet, but I don't blame my spotter. Sometimes, even the "perfect" line is not good enough when the soil is just a little bit slippery. That's part of the fun. It seems like the same obstacle can be different on different days, even if you use the same line.

Thelma Jane is not actually laid over in this pic, but, obviously, that's about as close as you can come. I did get just a scratch on the right rear corner of the hard top, but a little rattle can black paint will "fix" that, just like I fixed the damage from two or three weeks ago.

People, this stuff is SO MUCH FUN! Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    No Damage out of that??

I've been looking at pictures like this one for a couple months now,thinking everyone goes home with $1000's of dollars of damage....

Did you drive it out of that? or winch her back upright??

jeff
  • Options
    I guess someone who parks in the same parking garage doesn't like GiGi. This afternoon I started home (alone - my carpool buddy is not feeling well) and notice the check engine light is on. It is drizzly, the traffic is horrible and I've heard that there are lanes closed at one point I have to go through. The engine is running fine, I figure I'll just make sure the gas cap is on tight tomorrow when I fill up.

As I creep along I get irritated because I have had GiGi for less than a month and the wipers are dragging and leaving black marks on the windshield. The rain was intermittent light to steady and it takes me an hour and a half to go 20 miles. I finally get through the worst, speed up to 60 for about 10 miles and decide to stop for coffee. As I leave Castaic, I figure I should just check the gas cap - it was dangling on its cord!

What are the chances that I got water in the gas tank? Is there something I should do about it, or just make sure I fill up tomorrow morning (which we'll do anyway)? GiGi did run perfectly the rest of the 40 miles home.
  • Options
    No damage. Well, just a couple small scratches in the right rear hard top corner. No biggie.

I had to winch this time, but sometimes a guy can just drive out of a situation where the Jeep is leaned over pretty bad.

Tom

• Options
    If you drove 40 miles, then you would have used over two gallons of gas. I think that would be enough to say with some certainty that your gas was not contaminated.

Maybe someone was going to siphon some gas from you and got nervous when someone approached.

I think you will be OK.

Tom

• Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Wow!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Gas is a large part water. So, as long as you didn't poor a gal. of water directly into the tank you should me fine.
  • Options
    dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    is their own company. Gibson also increases performance I've looked at those too, they sound like a pretty good deal, but I don't think they sell just mufflers, I think you have to get a kit for them, it doesn't matter though because they custom make them for certain vehicles. Took me by surprise when you called me by name Tom. I din't think you could get access to that kind of stuff, but I was wrong.
  • Options
    Your name is in your profile. It's up to you how much info you want people to be able to see. You give your name, but no location and no email addy, so I think you should be fine.

If you are uncomfortable with what you have made available for people to know about you, just change your profile. I don't think you have revealed too much, but that is entirely your call.

I'm harmless. :)

Tom

• Options
    ".......Seems like I read somewhere (maybe here) that it takes 40 start and warm up cycles to clear the code.

Yes, forty to clear the code but only three to extinguish the light.
  • Options
    "........Gas is a large part water."

Have to disagree with you there!
  • Options
    Fuel isn't picked up from the very bottom of the tank and as gas floats on water you could have a little at the bottom.

Get some 'Gas-Dri' (or similar) to put in the tank, and buy a locking gas cap. I worry more about someone putting something in, rather than taking it out!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. I now don't think anyone took off my gas cap, because this morning I stopped for $20.00 worth of gas and made sure I put the cap on. I did have a bit of problem with it, but it seemed like it was on correctly and it clicked. When I got to work it was off again. This time I made sure it clicked a couple of times. Later I'll have to drive over to get a parking pass for my parking structure and I'll check it again when I park to see if it is still on. If I still have a problem I don't know what I'll do - it is going to rain again this evening.

I hate to get a locking cap - I don't know how many locking gas caps we had in Texas that always seemed to get left on top of the car, on a gas pump etc. I really like having this one on a cord, especially now.
  • Options
    Harriet:

Your fuel tank filler neck has that little trap door that the nozzle on the gas station pump goes through, right? I doubt if that is perfectly sealed, but I can't imagine that it would let much water through either, not from just a rain.

I'm with Mac on getting a locking fuel cap, and for the same reason: sabotage. No, I don't have one, but I don't park in LA either.

Tom

• Options
    I always leave the keys in the cap until I replace it. That way it doesn't matter where I put the cap, I can't drive off without it!
  • Options
    "I always leave the keys in the cap until I replace it. That way it doesn't matter where I put the cap, I can't drive off without it!"

That's too logical - I'd never get my other half into that habit since he gets annoyed with having to take the keys out of the ignition!
  • Options
    You are right. I was just trying to say that a small amount water (such as the amount that may get in the tank from driving a few miles in the rain…like we mostly have here in So. CAL not FL…with the gas cap off) will not dilute the gas enough to harm the engine. Obviously, if a large amount of water gets into a gas tank there will be a problem.

Sorry for miss speaking.
  • Options
    You can buy a locking gas cap from Jeep that has a tether on it (like the standard cap) and it is keyed to the ignition key. That is what I am using and it seems to work great. I think it costs around the $50.00 area. I not sure of the $$ amount because the dealer through it in on mine.
  • Options
    I did a search on "video" but did not find a recent post.

This link will take you to a video of Thelma Jane going through Blackhole Gully back in the winter (February, I think). She slips, and the right side tires drop into the deepest part of the Gully.

I think you will find this entertaining, but if you are on dial up, you might want to download it at night or something. It is 28 MB and plays for 2 minutes and 48 seconds.

It is hosted on Trey's (twylie's) personal website.

Tom

http://www.ewylie.com/video/tomvid.htm

Thanks for hosting this, Trey!
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Awesome video, Tom!! Cool stuff

Remote Start - just wanted to correct what I wrote a couple days ago. Some goof-ball at Best Buy told me it was illegal to install with manual transmission in CT.
    He was wrong. Talked to a local place that installs stereos, alarms, remote start etc..
    I guess it's just a pain (for safety reasons).
    There are a bunch of steps to go through before you leave the vehicle in order to make it "active". I'm having it installed on Friday. I'll post to let everyone know how much of a pain it really is! I mostly want it to warm up the engine in the morning. I hate driving on a cold engine, I feel like I'm killing my Jeep.
    Having a warm interior in nice too :)

-Dan
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I never did believe in idling my cars - always just got in them and went (gently at first), but I understand that the newer cars with the computerized fuel systems can handle the idling without dumping a bunch of carbon in the engine (or emissions in the air).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Well, after 3500 miles I'm in Virginia for a few days. I stopped in Oklahoma and St. Louis to visit family as I went to visit my parents in Virginia.

My dad was in a serious car wreck and broke 12 ribs, his pelvis, and other injuries. He's home now and recovering well. I think my decision to leave California and move closer to my family was a good thing.

I leave for Alabama in a few days before I start my new job. Unfortunately, my TJ Kermit is back in California, waiting to be towed out here when my wife joins me. I'm hoping to join Tom in TB in a couple of weeks as a ride-along, but we'll have to see how things go. I've missed reading these posts.

Mtngal, you sure seem to be loving your Gigi! :) The Alpine head unit is CDA-9820XM I believe. I'll hopefully get to add that soon too. But I may have to go with the external unit for my current CDA7983 unit, which is XM ready and displays just like the 9820.

Tom, I drove through northern Kentucky on Monday! Man was it stormin! All I could think about was TB being nice and slippery! I would have called but would have been too tempted to stop in and go wheelin! hehe

I am looking foward to the lifestyle change (hopefully slowing things down a bit). I've enjoyed California, but being close to family and enjoying the pace of life and friendliness of the southern states appeals to me greatly. I've missed y'all (see I'm practicin!) a lot and great to hear everybody is still enjoying their Jeeps!

-Paul
  • Options
    Good to hear that the first part of your move has gone well, though I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's accident. You haven't missed anything out here except for a bunch of rain (finally!).

Last night the I5 was a mess - bad accident right before my exit that had everything backed up for miles. I thought when the CHP log said "#4 lane open" that it meant the freeway was open so I didn't listen to the traffic reports. I got a rude awakening a couple of miles from an exit I could have taken to avoid the mess. It took me 45 minutes to go 1 mile to where I could get off and take a back way in. The way is partly dirt and climbs a small hill - normally not a big deal because it is a well graded dirt road. However, there was a tanker about a mile in front of me who barely made it up and chewed up the now muddy track. As I started up I felt the back wheels slip a bit - time for 4 hi. LOVE having a Jeep!
  • Options
    OK, what's up with this Jeep Channel on DirecTV? It's channel 611.

The on screen guide says "Jeep Channel" and when I select that channel, it says "Jeep Channel" at the top of the screen, but there is no program going on... just a black screen.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Tom

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    mtngal, why didn't you just make a new offramp? :) We've had rain here too. I think it followed me most of the way. :)

Tom, hadn't heard about that, but maybe the directv website would have something about it. Sounds interesting. It is in the range of sports and outdoor stuff, so it MAY be possible... we'll see. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    Tom, I caught the "Jeep" Channel on DirecTV the other day. It was an in-depth infomercial regarding the new Grand Cherokee.
  • Options
    Yeah, proc, like ya said, just a commercial for the redesigned GC. Pretty interesting, but still just a commercial. Now if they did the same thing for Wranglers, then I might actually enjoy it quite a bit.

Too bad there really isn't a "Jeep Channel!" It could show some wheelin' footage, some maintenance tips, some mod installations, video footage from Jambo's and Camp Jeeps, etc.

Tom

• Options
    That would be a great idea - I'd watch it. Also include tips about using GPS devices while off-roading, camping and resorts near OHV areas etc. Too bad there aren't enough of us to make it commercially viable...
  • Options
    Anyone other than Dan (99tj) check out that video that I posted a link to back in post 14809?

I know a lot of you saw it back in the winter, when it was first posted, but we have lots of new folks since then.

Tom

• Options
    dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I put it on my short list of "things to do when I have more time." Unfortunately it went the way of many things that go on that list, to the "things I meant to do but forgot about" list. The path to the second list is wide, smooth and downhill which explains why the first list is so short.

Anyway, today is a little less hectic so I just took a look at the video. WOW! I thought you were stuck most of the time but you always got out. I'm surprised you ever use that winch. Maybe it's just to help other people not lucky/smart enough to have a Jeep.

It's hard to imagine that I'll ever want to do anything like that but that may be due to the fact that my Jeep is new and shiny. After a summer of having it sandblasted at Assateague I might be more interested. Very cool to watch though. Do you have any more?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • Options
    Do you get the Outdoor Channel? They often have Jeep rock crawling and mudding programs. Other progs of general 4wd interest as well.