Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    This weekend I'm going to change the oil on my Wrangler for the first time. It's only got about 4,500 miles on it so I'm still going to use regular oil (Valvoline 10W30). I tried to buy a SuperTech filter but Walmart was out. The only other choices were Fram and Motorcraft so I went with Motorcraft.

I'm thinking this is going to be very easy because I can reach everything. Is there anything I'm going to wish I knew ahead of time? Don't assume I have any mechanical experience because changing my oil is almost the hardest thing I have done.

Last weekend I installed the receiver hitch I bought from Quadratech. It was not too bad and would have been impossible without the bolt fishwires included with the kit. I also bought a receiver tow hook and a locking pin (came with the bike rack). Is there any reason I shouldn't leave the receiver tow hook in the receiver? It's locked there and it looks cool. Plus, it would be a shame to need to get pulled out of something and have the hook at home in a box.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I have to admit that I have never changed Thelma Jane's oil myself. Heck, for $5.95, how could I NOT let the Chevy dealership change it for me. (I have to bring in my own oil and filter, of course, but for that price, they change the oil and filter AND do the lube!)

Despite their low price, I don't think I would let them do it, if they didn't let me stand right there with the guy doing the work. It's real informal at that service department, and they are great folks. They do excellent work, but I still feel better when I can personally observe the oil change.

Anyway, there's nothing out of the ordinary about changing the oil on a Jeep. You have the X, so you have the 4.0 L engine, which takes 6 quarts of 10W-30 oil.

ALWAYS CHECK TO BE SURE THE GASKET ON THE OLD FILTER COMES OFF WITH THE OLD FILTER, BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW FILTER!

My wife's uncle, who had a small shop and did mechanic work for a living, forget to check this one time when he changed the oil on my pickup truck years and years ago. Half way to work, my oil pressure went to zero, but I shut the engine off before any damage was done. Turned out that I lost the seal between the filter and the engine block, due to the double gasket, and I lost most of my oil.

There are seven lube points on the chassis. You probably know this already, but you should be sure to clean the zerks real good before lubing. You don't want to force dirt into the fitting. Also, go easy with the grease. If you try to force too much in there, you will bust the rubber boot, and then water and dirt can get in.

Good luck.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I appreciate you assuming I already know about the seven lube points but I have to admit that I don't. I also don't know what zerks are or how much grease to put in there or anything else about the procedure including what type of grease to use and how to apply it.

I really want to do as much of the maintenance myself as possible. What's the best way for a mechanically challenged person to learn about this stuff?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    You would be spending money very wisely to get a Factory Service Manual. I don't say that because you are inexperienced at mechanic work. I would say the same if you had done a lot of mechanic work.

A Factory Service Manual is what the technicians at the dealership service departments refer to. It has detailed diagrams and step by step instructions on how to do just about any repair work you can think of for the vehicle it was written for. It also tells you the types of fluids to use and the capacities for each.

Go here...

http://www.techauthority.com

The CD version for an 04 Wrangler is $90, and the hard copy version is $120.

The CD version works with Adobe Acrobat software, which can be downloaded for free (but I think that comes included on the CD too).

Tom

• wilfulwilful Member Posts: 8
    My bride and I have a 89 Wrangler with soft top, and sporter doors (those without locks). I'd appreciate any info/feedback from anyone who has installed the glass sliding windows on this type vehicle. I guess Bestop is the only one who makes this product?

Hopefully, our car is not too old.

BTW - Pls - no "hard top" suggestions. We live in hot SoCal,, and - dislike hardtop esthetics.

TIA, wilful_2000@yahoo.com
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Dave,

heres a website that shows the locations of the grease zerks, (little things like one way valves, let you push grease in, but don't let it come back out)

http://www.gotjeep.net/greasing.html

I use a grease gun that I can hold in one hand, most you will see are much bigger, they work fine on tractors and farm equipment, but i found the small gun easier to get into tighter spots. with the big guns you almost need 3 hands, one to hold the gun, one to hold the end of the flexible hose on the zerk, and one to pump the handle. I don't use a flexible hose with the small grease gun. you might want one if its hard to get onto any of the zerks.

as far as grease, the guy on the website says that any grease you see will meet manufacturers specifications.

and for changing your filter,, everyone probably has an opinion on this, but i like the filter wrench that looks like a giant socket for your rachet wrench.

jeff

re leaving your receiver in?? I take my mount and ball out of the receiver just to keep it from getting stolen,,

you are driving a jeep, think more of needing your hook to pull other people out, not to get pulled out yourself
    Sorry, I can't help with your question, i live in Illinois where we typically see alot of sub zero weather in January so I bought a hard top.

just a warning, there are a few hard core jeepers on here who get really mean when someone refers to their jeep as a car. Not really, they are bunch of good people, always ready to help anyone out with questions but respond much quicker to questions about "Jeeps" rather than "cars"

jeff
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Funny, I always imagined that Tom changed his oil while Thelma Jane was straddling one of those Kentucky gulches.

Steve, Host
    Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome. Don't have any info on the sliders for ya.

Stick around, and maybe someone will be able to help you.

Glad you joined us.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oops - too much Barney and Andy watching on my recent trip to Tennessee :-)

Steve, Host
    Yeah, I was going to point out to you that Thelma Lou was Barney's fiance (for about 10 years it seems).

I called my son-in-law and daughter Barney and Thelma Lou back when they had been going together for seven years and still had not gotten married.

Tom

i watched it, that was great.

jts
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I looked at the sliders in quadratec's catalog before I bought my Wrangler. I've never seen them in person and couldn't decide if they would be what I wanted or not. I ended up getting an Unlimited and full doors.
    Jeff & Tom - thanks for your responses.

I think it's a "guy" thing - refering to a Jeep only as "Jeep". I'd always done that, til we acquired the Wrangler, and my bride would call it her "car". It was her choice of a second vehicle, after yrs of her having the "hand me down". In 1989 she advised me that she wished to select her own vehicle and that it could be either a Mercedes 2 passenger convertible - or a Jeep wrangler "with big tires, chrome grille and bumpers and a big engine". Hence - the Wrangler.

Looking forward to any info on the glass sliding windows.

Best regards,

W.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I finally broke down and bought a Bestop Sailcloth Replace-A-Top for my Sahara. An easy install, and the new top is quieter and better insulated to boot. It feels like I'm driving a new Jeep!
    Oil Changes-I use Mobil 1 10W-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. Yes, it's probably overkill, but then I follow Mobil's advice and only change the oil every 7500 miles. After almost 79000 the engine is clean as a pin under the valve cover and oil usage is nil. Note that I rarely use the Sahara for short trips and it almost never subjected to stop-and-go traffic.
    Those of you considering an aftermarket air filter should carefully read this:
    http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm . It's an objective and scientific ISO 5011 test of various OEM and aftermarket air filter elements. Spoiler Warning: K&N takes it on the chin...
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    People often ask about the Rubicon diffs (check the Search), so I thought I'd mention that the new 2005 Wrangler brochure has a nice cutaway pic on page 15.
    Not surprising, but interesting. The only thing I wouldn't have guessed is that the K&N would clog up so quickly. However, all the test data in the world won't convert the true believers!

:--)
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    willful
    I have a 98 tj and a 91 yj with Bestop sliders and the yj are better of the two. We (wife and I) don’t care for the hard tops either as we drive with the top down as must as possible. The yj ½ doors are also without locks.
    Walt
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    "However, all the test data in the world won't convert the true believers!"
    Boy, you've got that right. I know of one Liberty owner who claimed that he picked up FOUR miles per gallon by switching to a K&N! I tried to explain to him how automakers spend millions of dollars to add .25 mpg to their CAFE numbers-and thus they would switch their entire fleets over to K&N in a nanosecond if those filters were good for even a .5 mpg increase. He dismissed my argument with a moronic conspiracy theory...
    Thanks for the info and the link, it definitely looks like something I can do. But now I have another dumb question. How do you know how much grease to put in the fitting? This may be obvious to anyone who's ever done it but so far I'm not one of them. Tomorrow will be different.

Thanks for your patience with this wanabe mechanic,

Dave
    I guess you can just watch the rubber boot, and when you see the least bit of movement in it, like it was trying to expand, then stop.

Can someone give him a better answer? Heck, it is just a matter of "feel," mostly, right? I mean I think I know how to tell when to call it quits with the old grease gun, but I just don't know how to tell someone else.

Tom

http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/asp/products/lube_fittings.asp

here is a link that shows what a zerk looks like inside.

how much grease??, when i worked on my uncle's farm, he and my grandpa ( who was an IH mechanic ) always told me 5 or 6 pumps, if it starts coming out under the boot, stop. ( you don't want it to PLOP on your face if you are under the tractor / vehicle / implement. )

jeff
    Lordy, that would be WAY too much in most cases. One or two usually will be enough.

Tom

Tom,

i use one of those pistol type grease guns, I don't think they pump out as much grease as a regular grease gun. heck i don't count anyway, maybe its 2 or 3?? i don't know, if it plops on my head; i stop.

jeff

ps,, dave if you want to learn how to change oil and grease the fittings, come out to quincy in a month or so, I'm giving a lesson then, you likely will be the only student so you will get my undivided attention as you crawl around under my jeep on the gravel driveway in 30 degree weather.
    I just got the Alpine with the XM Tuner built in installed in GiGi today - what a difference to not have to deal with the FM modulator! There were too many FM stations interfering wiith the stations the modulator used around here.

While it has some functionality over the Roady, I miss having the number pad. I'll probably use the preset buttons more (I never used them with the Roady). If it gets to be too much of a bother, I'll get the remote, which does have a number kkeypad, I think.

The sound is so much better, and I didn't change the speakers (I do have the factory upgraded speaker system). In fact, it is a whole lot better than running the Roady off of the cassette deck in the old Taco.

Now to hook the Roady up to the Bose radio...
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Great!! Some folks think its strange to have a nice sound system in a Jeep but I love to make my ears feel good while driving. I mentioned before that I changed all four speakers and kept the stock radio and CD. Less chance of it getting stolen with top off. The new speakers have made a big difference. I have the hardtop on and the back seat out and the sound is great. New CD's from the library every month. My library allows as many as you want for one month. So I do 10 CD's, turn up the volume and ride. Have fun with your enhanced sound. Go Easy, John
    Walt - I'm in the same boat as mtngal in post 14837. Have seen pics, but not in person. So, tell me - are the sliders real glass? Do they fit and slide well? Did you order and receive yours by mail, on-line, or buy them in a store? Any problems or negatives about them? Am thinking of these as a Christmas present for my wife. The old plastic stuff is just,,, well - you know.

TIA,

Will
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    just wanted to give an update...
    Had the remote start installed on Friday. It's a pain to "set" but not horrible. Here are the steps I have to take.

While the Jeep is running,
    Set the E brake.
    Put it in Neutral.
    Take feet off of pedals.
    Press one of the buttons on the remote.
    (this causes the system to flash the parking lights)
    At this point I have 30 seconds to exit my Jeep and close all doors.
    I hit a different button and it shuts the Jeep off.

It is now ready to be "remote started" the next time I drive it :P

I'll probably just use it for our cold Northeast mornings. That way I'm just going through those steps as the last step before I'm in for the night.

Let's say I go through all the steps and then realize I left my Cell phone inside my Jeep.
    You guessed it, opening the door UN-SETS the system. I have to start it up and go through the process again.

After typing this out, it sounds much worse that it is.

-Dan
    what brand remote starter is that??

I can't think of a reason that you would want to remote start it with the doors off (other than to scare someone standing by the Jeep) but from what you wrote, i'm assuming it wouldn't work with the doors off??

jeff

hoping mine isn't that much trouble,
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Yes they are Glass and they do fit and slide really well. Like I said I like the YJ better, only because it is the newer design.I strongly recommend the slider over original upper haft doors.
    Walt
    Blackhole Gully was too slippery to run after the rain that had fallen, but I thought I had a shot of getting through there if I took just the right line.

Either I didn't hit the right line, or there just wasn't any way to run it under those conditions without slipping one side down into the deep part of the gully. This is the same gully where that little video clip that I posted a link to a few days ago was shot.

In the video, the right side had slipped down into the deep part, but Saturday the left side slipped down.

Here's a pic. I had already made a good bit of progress toward the end of the gully when this was taken. The slip occurred several yards behind the spot where I was in the picture.

You can see that the left front flare is actually making contact with the side of the gully. I drove her out of there all leaned over like that, and the only contact was on both flares on the drivers side. No harm done, they were already scratched and distorted anyway.

Tom

P.S. Here's another view. Thought I would throw this in for no additional charge.

• chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Tom: watcha oughta do is install pallet jack wheels on the side of your Wrangler.

Chief
    Let's see an engineering drawing of those puppies, Chief. You might make a fortune on them.

Tom

While my weekend Jeep exploits were considerably less exciting than Tom's, in the end we both got away with no damage. The oil change and lube were uneventful and every bit as easy as I thought it would be. On Friday I bought a small grease gun and put it to use on Saturday like I knew what I was doing. Thanks for all your advice and patience. I hope you're all just as patient when it comes time to change the differential and transmission fluid.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    Good job! Like most people who tackle maintenance for the first time you've discovered both how easy and how satisfying it is.

I highly recommend that you purchase the official Factory Service Manual (FSM). It's about $100 and can save you more than that the first time you use it. Worth every penny.
    are the service manuals on EBAY the real thing or are they knockoffs??

jeff

Tom,,

you stop being mean to Thelma Jane, or i'm going to load up a bunch of good ole boys and we are going come down there and whoop you!!. everyone of those pictures you send, i keep expecting you to say $5000 of body work needed.

i talked with delta tire here about swapping out my gsa's, asked what they'd give me for them ----

are you ready for this???

$10.

as i was returning a friends trailer yesterday, told him i was thinking of swapping out tires, and he anxiously said he was looking for a set to downsize his son's truck. (not his son's idea by any means) so I may be able to get a decent price (or a good trade) steve alway has something to trade or swap. Limo rides, trailers, use of 2 ton trucks, etc.
    Thelma Jane would think I was being mean to her if I DIDN'T get her into situations like that. She loves to "wheel."

Don't settle for too little on those GSA's. It might very well be worth a trip down here to deal with that tire store where I got those killer trade-in allowances.

What tires do you want? Tell me, and I will check out the deal for you.

I don't know if the ebay FSMs are the real things or not.

Tom

I was wondering the same thing about the service manuals on eBay. There is one seller that offers something for $45.00 that sounds good but you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true...

I can post the link to eBay it that's OK to do here.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    OK, I called my buddy at the tire store. He said he could allow you $75 apiece for the four used tires, and it would be more for the spare, if it has never been used. He can't say exactly what the overall allowance would be without actually seeing your tires, but the $75 apiece is a little bit on the conservative side. He might be willing to allow you more once he sees your tires.

How many miles on those tires now? Are the sidewalls in good shape? No gouges? White letters still nice?

I asked him what the total price would be for five brand new BFG 31 x 10.50 Mud Terrains, with mounting, balancing, and taxes... the whole enchilada, including the trade in allowance. He said it would be $468, but might be less, depending on whether he can give you more for your tires or not.

For BFG 31 x 10.50 All Terrains, it would be about $100 less ($20 per tire).

So, get yer butt down here, get some tires, and go wheelin' with me!

Tom

P.S. On the trade in, Chad said $375 is the low end, and $440 would be the best he could do.
    Congrats on the oil change! Nice going!

Tom

If it's a CD it might be a copy of the real thing, but if it is it's a copyright fraud. If it's a printed manual it's probably real, but check to make sure the seller has a good rating.

I just think it's nice to have the latest, genuine, factory fresh manual, to go with your new factory fresh Jeep!
    I looked on eBay to see what else this particular seller is offering. He's selling lots of FSM CD's for a range of DC vehicles. I'd say he's either legit or VERY Bold. But half the price of the CD on TechAuthority has me interested so I sent the seller some questions. I'll let you all know what I learn.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    At least anytime soon. The wife informed me we have another little one coming in May so need to save the $$$$. All i know is when they get a little older I will have a wrangler, it maybe an 04 in 08 but it will happen!!! I will still be lurkin and living through your photos, LOL.... Well at least i have a jeep i guess... Thanks for all the info and help on questions i have. If any of you are wanting an unlimited $5K off sticker at my local dealer on 04's. drop me a line and i'll tell ya which dealer here in Fort Worth Texas.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    "Ultra Start". Just some generic brand I guess.
    It's the same one I had in my Cherokee and never had any problems. If your Jeep is manual, then you'll probably have to go through similar steps.
    If you have an auto, it'll be MUCH easier.

-Dan
    Well, CONGRATS on the new addition to the family, but too bad you couldn't have TWO new additions, the Jeep and the baby.

Yeah, stick around here with us. You'll have a Wrangler one of these days, and in the meantime, just hang with us.

Tom

Well, I guess that's a pretty good excuse for not getting a Wrangler right now. I'm sure you will eventually get one - once you catch Wrangler fever, you will eventually own one. Just don't wait the 20 plus years like I did before getting one, or you might just end up (like me) with 2!
    I'm planning to stop and visit with our local jeep shop, (I say local, its 45 miles away, but still in the area i cover for work), John does most of the jeep work in the area, wanting his suggestions too.

but was thinking of going to 33's with a 4 inch lift, didn't like being the littlest jeep at the the jeep club meeting.

checked prices at Sam's club on BFG 33/10.5/15 $859 for 5 mounted, balanced, road hazard.

jeff

remembered a bit of cash i had stuck away, in a fund that isn't making anything, might as well spend it.
    I've got a viper for my automatic,, scheduled to be installed on 11/4

jeff
    after buying my jeep, my neighbor got bit by the bug, I haven't even taken him riding in it yet.

he's got his eye on a '92.

jeff