Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    They're a bit vague about how they get the capacity increase. I'm guessing that the 4.2 is an overbore (though it could just be an early standard 4.2 spec), while the 4.6 is both bored and stroked. Given the choice (and the money) I think I'd go for the 4.6.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/displayEngine2.cfm?EngineID=100

It's almost a shame that the standard 4.0 takes so long to wear out!

:--)
    Here's the answer to a question nobody's asked. It's an interesting page of 'How, Why & How To'.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I did mean track bars. :) twylie got it right. I had read an install on JU where even with the OME lift, the front axle was shifted over a bit. Is that something that I'd have to worry about?

-Paul
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    You will have a slight shift (in my case 5/8" or less) in the axles once you put the new springs in. In the front it's not as big of a deal, but once the rear axle shifts, you end up with some tight clearances. Moving the axle back to center solves this problem.

-twylie
    Who manufactures these track bars? Does OME make one?

I'm learning more every day about this stuff! This is cool!

-Paul
    Twylie mentioned three manufacturers and there are several more. Google is your friend for that sort of thing.

An alternative for the rear is the OME trackbar relocation bracket. Some people have had problems with the bolts coming loose, but it's been fine for me for years. Other manufacturers, including those mentioned, also make a bracket.

At the front, I re-drilled the trackbar location hole, then welded a reinforcing plate over it (I'm cheap!). Just remember the carpentry rule........measure twice and cut (or drill) once!
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    For encouraging me to do something about my Camp Jeep coupon. For anyone new - I had a blast at Camp Jeep, kept looking at a bright green Unlimited and then bought one about 2 months ago. About 2 weeks after I bought it I received a coupon in the mail for $500 off any Jeep as a thank you for attending Camp Jeep. I figured that even though I had purchased mine in the time frame allowed by the certificate, I had done it before receiving my coupon and just figured I was out of luck.

But all of you said I should talk to the dealership that I bought it from (who were really great to deal with - they almost instantly gave me a reasonable price through emails so it was painless - the way I like it because then I lose my temper too quickly when dealers start playing games). Well, I did and I just got an email back saying that Jeep Corporate honored the coupon and I'll be getting a check shortly.

Maybe I should hold my breath until I actually see the check, but I do have it in writing and so far they have delivered everything they said they would. Am I ever delighted - I have a vehicle I love, and I'm getting an extra little bit back. And it's all because you guys said I should check it out - so THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
    Congratulations. I can't claim one of your 'Thank Yous' as I wasn't one of the ones that posted on that.

However, I'm glad to see you here as I was beginning to think I broke the forum with my last post. It went very quiet!

:--)
    I know what you mean - I stayed home today (one of those stupid viruses that are just bad enough to keep you home but not bad enough to knock you out totally) and no one was talking much!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    SUPER! I'm really happy for ya!

I just about KNEW that Jeep would feel obligated to honor that certificate. Think how BAD the PR would have been, if they had NOT honored it!

If I'm not mistaken, I was the first who posted and said that you should not give up without at least checking with the dealer. So, I know that you will want to do the right thing and split that $500 with me. My address is .....

Just kidding, of course, Harriet. Spend that money on some mods!

Gettin' ready to head for Land Between the Lakes and Turkey Bay OHV Area! This is Saturday, and we all know what the Old Tomster does on Saturdays. :)

Now that Paul (erickpl) is relocating to Huntsville, AL, he will be wheelin' with me real often. His Jeep is still in CA right now, but it won't be long before he will be re-united with Kermit.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    LOL! My other half suggested that you come out this way and we'll be happy to give you your reward - he'll buy you a cup of coffee as we explore some off-roading routes up in the Sierras. Now isn't that a fair offer?

In many ways I've already spent that money - I got the Alpine head. I can also use it to buy synthetic oil and something to protect the soft top (303? - is this the best or are there any other suggestions?). I've found a car wash that is all hand wash and will do hand waxing. I watched a new BMW convertable go through it, so I think that would work for GiGi.

By the way, is there any minimum temperature that normal (home) wax products and top protectants should be used? I'm not much for do-it-yourself car washes, but with the soft top, I'll probably do more of it than I've done in the past with the hard top. I am not about to spend 4 hours doing multiple steps, so does anyone have suggestions for basic care - like wash and one coat of something for protection? It's been cold up here, even during the day now, so if these products have minimum temperatures I might not go much home-care until spring.

Black is such a common color and it just looks like a Jeep when it's dirty, so I've never bothered all that much with the Sport. Besides, every Saturday when we'd get it washed was followed by some off-roading on Sunday. But this green is SO unique, and it looks so sharp when it is clean, and we aren't off-roading it much, so now I'm more interested in keeping it nice.
  • froggifroggi Member Posts: 1
    Would you happen to know if there is anybody out there who has toyed with putting a diesel engine in an old wrangler? I am a wranglerhead, but I really want to go biodiesel.
    ~Froggi
    Here's one link to someone putting a Volvo 6 cyl turbo into a YJ:

http://www.geocities.com/nerockcrawlers/turbodiesel.html

...............and a couple of pics from the SEMA show:

I want one!

-Paul
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    So far the bolts have claimed two E-Z Outs and two drill bits but none have budged. Tomorrow I'm going over to a friend's house to try the Dremel strategy because he's done that before and I have not.

I think the worst case scenario is that we end up simply drilling the bolts out and in doing so damage the threads machined into the pillar. What do I do if that happens? Is it body shop time? This could wind up being a very expensive roof rack...

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    How I got mine ultimately out is this:

Try drilling a smallish hole through the wider (edge) part of the bolt. Do not try drilling through the core of the bolt itself, but do not do it at the very edge either (probably halfway between the center and the edge of the bolt as you look at it from the top/outside). I hope that makes some sense. The flange/tapered area seems a bit softer than the core of the bolt, so drilling this hole should be a bit easier than trying to go down the middle.

The bolt is a countersunk design (so that if you look at it from the side when it is out, the outer edge that is painted is widest and it narrows as it goes further in. Drilling a hole that goes through the tapered part, but not through the core of the bolt will give you a point to stick something in there and help turn it.

Once you have a hole through this thinner area, shoot some WD40 or some type of penetration oil to loosen up any binding. Then use an awl / holepunch / whatever that fits into that hole and pound it at an angle such that the force will eventually turn the bolt in the direction to remove it. Make sure it is a strong piece of metal (not a screwdriver). Use something designed to be hit. :)

Good luck. From experience, the dremel method may or may not work. Like Mac said, a screwdriver isn't really meant for high torque jobs, and this will definitely be that. :)

-Paul
    Thanks Paul. That sounds like a good idea.

I'm thinking more about the doomsday scenario. I guess I could bolt the brackets on with the 5 bolts that came loose and then have someone weld something into the other three locations. I don't plan to take the rack off anyway.

I still haven't lost hope, just considering the alternatives.

Yours in Torx Frustration,

Dave
    Hmmm......... did you try using heat on the bolt head to release the Loctite as suggested earlier?

When using an EZ-Out you should drill the bolt out as much as possible, so as to be able to use the largest EZ-Out bit possible. With the bolt hollowed out, heat will be even more effective in melting the threadlocker.

If you have to drill out the bolt completely, you'll just have to tap a new thread and use a larger bolt, not forgetting to enlarge the clearance holes in the rack and maybe the hinge.

To add to Pauls technique, try using a small cold chisel to rotate the bolt head. Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't jump and skid over your paintwork!

Finally, I would really advise against welding the rack to the body (for many, many reasons).
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    heres a link to some pics of the unlimited rubicon in Moab. Pretty cool stuff. Be sure and click on page 2.

http://www.projecttj.com/reviews/jeep/wrangler_2005/unlimited_rub- icon_moab/index.asp

-Dan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In case you missed it on the New Cars pages when it went live last week:

First Drive: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Steve, Host
    I haven't added any heat yet. What's the best way to do that? The best thing I can think of is a soldering gun on the bolt head. Is there a better way?

Yours in Torx Frustration,

Dave
    That can work, and the bigger the soldering iron the better. Personally, I've used a length of round steel rod held in Vice Grips and heated with a propane torch until it's red hot, then held against the bolt head. If you've drilled out the bolt to insert an EZ-Out, use a thinner rod or an old cross-head screwdriver, heated in a similar fashion, to insert into the hollowed out bolt before using the EZ-Out.

For these particular bolts, the intention is only to soften and loosen the threadlocker which is holding them. You don't need as much heat as would be required if they were rusted in. Damage to the paint would be certain in that case, whereas you should be able to do yours without a trace.
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight.

Dave
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    when are these supposed to come on? mine seems to come on with about 5 gallon left. thats more than a quarter tank.

thats like the little boy that cried wolf, a warning that isn't necessary.

jeff

ps,,,, i drove a lexus SUV last weekend, it was the smoothest thing i have ever driven. I'd take one if someone wanted to give me one, I'd sell it and go buy 2 wranglers. the wrangler is the most fun thing i've ever driven. (I know Tom, she still hasn't been off road)
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I thought the indicator came on at 2 or 3 gallons left.

I agree, the most fun vehicle ever. The other night we saw the ad for the new Mustangs (I've owned 2) and I remarked at how sharp it was. My wife asked if I wanted to get one, and I said, no, I love my Rubicon. She said she meant in addition to the Rubicon, "I would never try to seperate you from your Rubicon."

"Good," I said.
    It varies from vehicle to vehicle, and it should say in your handbook, but it's normally consistant on the same vehicle.

Mine comes on with about two gallons left, but I usually fill up when down to a quarter of a tank. Less chance of running out before finding a gas station, and a lot less chance of heat stressing the fuel pump.
    i bought a CD of the service manual on EBAY ~ $45,, just got it, haven't had a good chance to look it over,,, but it appears to be a copy of a DC original.

jeff
    THANK YOU!
    Congrats! You got post #15,000! Since you are the senior member of this message board, it is appropriate that you get the milestone post numbers.

Thaks, Mac, for all the help you have been to all of the rest of us here.

Tom

I have to admit I hadn't noticed! Now you mention it, I remember getting 10,000 saved for me.

I'm always happy to help, but people, if I give advice, please don't place a higher value on it than you paid!
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I also thought it was 2 gallons. I just got a flare repainted-started to bubble around the signal light. Dealer said it was not covered by warrenty. I have body colored flares (Red) and the paint was peeling off more and more each day. Its still in "pristine" condition so I had it repainted. $130.00!! At least they did it in one day. Bad luck. Your right . This is my 3rd Jeep and they continue to be FUN. Also, from one old Vet-thank you to those who have served and are serving and to those who gave their lives. Remember-life is very short, be kind, eat well,listen to loud music, pet you dog, love your friends and family, give back, drive a Jeep, be passionate about living. Go Easy
  • ranjiranji Member Posts: 1
    What do you guys think about the new impact orange color for 05? I was considering buying an Unlimited in that color, but everyone is telling me I am crazy. Is the color too gaudy?
    Brother, if YOU like the color, that's all that matters. That's why they make different colors, because they could never get everyone to agree on just one. And, if they did, how BORING that would be!

Just my two cents worth.

Tom

• mefmef Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if there any factory to dealer incentives, on top of the $1000 rebate, on remaining 2004 Jeep Wranglers?
  • uv4meuv4me Member Posts: 22
    What is the general opinion of the sun rider top for the Ulimited? Is it too loud at highway speeds? Is it hard to operate/utilize?
    Thanks!
    I love the sunrider option - it is very easy to operate, as long as the temperature is above about 70 (at least so far - maybe it'll losen up next summer when I use it more). We drove part of the way between Vegas and LA right after I got mine with the sunrider open, and it isn't any worse than having the top off - not much different than just riding around with your windows down. It comes with a strap to secure the header with the top folded back, so it doesn't flop around at all.

The gas gauges are different betwen the '98 Sport and the '04 Unlimited. The Sport's light comes on with about 5 gallons (maybe even a bit more) so I can go a LONG way with it on. I haven't seen it much any more - I won't park at the house (especially in the summer) without at least a quarter tank showing on the gauge. I do that just in case I ever have to evacuate quickly.

I haven't seen the orange in person yet, but I think I would like it. Wranglers look great in bright colors and if you like it, you should get it regardless of what others think. The couple of dealers I talked to about getting mine thought I was crazy to buy the electric green - but I love it. Besides, you'll never have a problem finding your car in a big parking lot (like I did one day at Camp Jeep. Do you know how many black Wranglers of various sorts there are in SoCal!??!).
    i considered mustangs,,,, but wanted / had to have that 4WD.

glad i have my jeep, but when I win the lottery, my other car will be a mustang.

jts

you are lucky, sounds like you may be getting both toys,,
    hey mef,,,

if you have a chance,, go to a jeep 101, they will give you a $500 coupon towards anything but an unlimited.

you won't see it written anywhere on their website or promo's for jeep 101.

you also might want to ask if they still have the $500 rebate through Chrysler financial for taking their financing. I took it, then refi'd 3% lower through my local credit union.

jeff

not sure why the coupons don't apply to the unlimiteds..
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I love the new design of the 2005 Mustang. The reviews have been amazing.
    I'm anxious to see the Shelby version in a year or two. Should be pretty hot! Like you said Jeff, just waiting for that magic pot at the end of the rainbow. That way, I can have a Jeep and a Mustang :)

-Dan
    hey mef,,,

if you have a chance,, go to a jeep 101, they will give you a $500 coupon towards anything but an unlimited.

you won't see it written anywhere on their website or promo's for jeep 101.

you also might want to ask if they still have the $500 rebate through Chrysler financial for taking their financing. I took it, then refi'd 3% lower through my local credit union.

jeff

not sure why the coupons don't apply to the unlimiteds..
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yep, Jeeps and Mustangs are definitely the height of Americana. Of course, I don't think there has ever been a vehicle made that is more instantly recognizable as Jeep. Maybe a VW Bug, but that's it.

I drove our Grand Cherokee to work today and it felt really weird. I've been driving the Rubi to work for months. The Grand was liking riding in a Cadillac in comparison. I missed the Rubi.
  • mefmef Member Posts: 2
    Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure where the site is your referring to. Do you have a web address?

Thanks

MEF
    www.jeep.com
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I was at the dealer on Tuesday for an oil change and was looking at an Unlimited in the Orange color…I personally liked it. I guess I could see why would not. But I agree with Tom, if you like it is what is important. Was sorry to hear they exchanged the orange for the yellow…I really liked the yellow.
    For anyone about to order, or just plain curious, here's the latest production info:

(BGK) Antilock brakes have a Job #1 of 11/22/04

(VKX) Black hardtop and (VJX) black soft top have a Job #1 of 12/1/04

(RBQ) AM/FM/CD/6-disc changer on hold - TBD
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I have seen the color and like it, especially with black trim. What color are the flares? If you like it, then thats all that matters, If any of us listened to other people we would not be driving Jeeps. Go Easy, John
  • blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    (BGK) Antilock brakes for what style? I am hoping the Rubicon Unlimited will get them.

(VKX) is this just producing them or is it a dual option group for the Unlimited?

Thanks!!!!!
    According to the latest brochure, ABS is only available on one model, the Sport, as an option with the D44 only.

VKX is the hardtop and VJX is the soft top.
  • uv4meuv4me Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking at buying a 2004 Unlimited if I can get a great deal on one. There seems to be quite a bit of inventory here in the D.C. area so I hope to be able to find something I like. Should I be able to purchase the Jeep under invoice (before incentives) because it's last years holdovers? I had one dealer quote me 1.0% under invoice which still seemed a little steep. Should I expect to be able to deal since these are last years models?
    Uvie:

Jeeps dealers have never been known to discount left over previous model year Jeeps very much. DC has not been known to give much in the way of incentives either.

Guess they get away with it somehow, but I never did understand how they do it.

Tom