Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Progression of Chrysler

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Chrysler Group LLC earlier reported its best November sales since 2007, as it sold 122,565 vehicles in the month, up 14.4 percent from the same month in 2011.

"Our November sales were up 14 percent and we extended our sales streak to 32-consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains."

Chrysler posts best November sales since '07 (Detroit News)
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Great new for Chrysler Group LLC!

Thanks to all of our customers who love to drive our vehicles!

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
    "Last month, Chrysler sold just 4,489 Darts, almost a thousand less than it sold in October. That is significant, because the industry as a whole reported its strongest sales in nearly five years on Monday. And that has some analysts worried.

"It is of concern, because the small-car segment is doing very well right now — and they are missing the boat on that," said Michelle Krebs of Edmunds.com. "Their numbers should be higher. But they are establishing themselves in a space they haven't played in for some time."

Dodge Dart sales veer from target (Detroit News)
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I wonder if there's getting to be some overlap with the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200C? Even though the Dart's a "compact" and those two are "midsized", there really isn't a huge difference in size between the two. And the last time I was at the Mopar dealer, I noticed they were running some incredible deals on the Avenger/200C. Not so much on the Dart.

I'd think the Dart would still appeal to the more youthful crowd, but maybe some people are getting swayed into the Avenger or 200C, because of those rebates.

Another potential problem might be the product mix. Back in 1981, Chrysler botched the launch of their Reliant/Aries K-cars, because while they were advertised at a nice low base price, initially they built mainly fully decked-out models. So people went into the dealer expecting to get some economical compact for $6000 or so, and finding that all the cars on the lot were $9000 and up. They corrected that problem pretty quickly, thankfully. But maybe they're repeating it for the Dart?
    edited December 2012
    Car prices keep going up but I think you're right; Dart prices may look a bit high for a "compact" and Dodge is trying to hold the line on incentives.
    edited December 2012
    This has to be a mis-print or have some kind of fine print, right? 2013 Avenger with 3.6 V-6 for $16,279. Even though the Avenger and 200C are also-rans by this time, it still seems like a great deal at that price.

For comparison, here's a fairly basic Dart S/E Aero for $16,159.

Even though the Dart is a newer, more up-to-date design, the V-6 Avenger for about the same price is very compelling, at least to me. Also, that Dart is at the dealer I bought my Ram from, so that internet price isn't going to include freight, and will also include every single incentive they offer tacked on, whether you actually qualify for them all or not. And, reading the fine print for the Avenger, looks like that dealer does the same thing.

But, like you said, there probably aren't as many incentives on the Dart.
    Looks like most of the current incentives are conquest type ones, and go from $500 to $1,000.
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. Or some kind of loyalty incentive. When I bought my 2012 Ram, I think the only incentive I didn't qualify for was one for $1,000, that was for current lessees of a Chrysler product. Originally I was going to pay cash (or rather, raid some home equity), but they had another $500 rebate if I financed through them. So I did that, going to make a few payments, and then pay it off in full.
    Here's another fun one:

"Starting this month, Chrysler is offering $1,000 cash back to customers who have a vehicle made by Volkswagen AG.

To be eligible for the discount, customers don’t even have to trade in or give up their VW vehicles, merely prove that they’ve owned or leased one in at least 30 days before getting the new Chrysler."

The Routan doesn't count. :shades:

Chrysler Woos Volkswagen Owners with Cash-Back Offer (WSJ)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited December 2012
    these silly little flirtations automakers have with each other purely for the consumer's benefit, eh? :P

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited December 2012
    Glad to see one company appreciates the value in older brandnames (don't get me started on the MKS, the CTS and their ilk).

"There are bets being taken everywhere," Manley said of the expectation Liberty will be dropped and Cherokee will be the name used worldwide, demarcating it as a stepping stone for buyers to progress to the Grand Cherokee.

"It certainly is a very, very well-known name. People who had Cherokees remember them incredibly fondly," Manley said. "It has huge name recognition and a big following."

Storied Jeep nameplates are poised for return (Detroit Free Press)
    "Jeep's biggest challenge in 2012 was keeping up with demand. Adding a third shift at its Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit in November helped. It is exploring ways to expand Wrangler production in Toledo."

Chrysler's Jeep brand sold 701,626 SUVs globally in 2012, its best year ever (Detroit Free Press)
    I like the name Cherokee, but wonder...is it politically incorrect nowadays? Chevy took a lot of flak way back in 1959 for calling a truck "Apache". Isn't "Cherokee" sort of the same wavelength?

I'm surprised names with "Grand" in them still work. I associate them with the 1970's mainly. "Grand Prix", "Grand LeMans", "Grand Marquis" and if you get a little sloppy..."Gran Torino", "Gran Fury".

But, I guess the Grand Cherokee has done well enough over the years, that the name hasn't been tarnished.
    edited January 2013
    It's a storied name that's been "borrowed" by a lot of companies. Not as bad as that DC football team or the Cleveland mascot if you ask me.

In other news, "Fiat, Chrysler and Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. are getting closer to reaching an agreement to produce Jeeps in China for the Chinese market, an Italian newspaper reported Sunday."

Fiat, Chrysler deal to build Jeeps in China nears (Detroit Free Press)
    The Fiat-Chrysler group released a new product plan for the North American market Wednesday that calls for the introduction of 47 new or significantly refreshed models over the next four years — including six Alfa Romeos.

Fiat-Chrysler plans to introduce 47 new or refreshed models over four years (Detroit News)
    "Chrysler Group told analysts on Wednesday that it plans to add five additional Fiat models to its U.S. portfolio and that it has canceled several Fiat-based models that had been slated to be sold in the United States as Chryslers and Dodges.

The re-engineered heavy-duty Ram and chassis cab have been pushed back to 2014, one year later than originally planned. What is believed to be a compact, front-drive, Fiat-based van has been delayed one year, until 2015. The truck is slated to compete with the Ford Transit Connect."

Chrysler Group Shakes Up Future Vehicle Strategy
    "The federal safety agency issued a recall request letter proposing that Chrysler recall approximately 2.7 million Jeep Grand Cherokee in model years 1993 to 2004 and the Jeep Liberty in model years 2002 to 2007 to fix fuel tanks that could leak and cause fires in rear-end collisions.

“Chrysler Group has been working and sharing data with the Agency on this issue since September 2010,” Chrysler said in a statement. “The company does not agree with NHTSA’s conclusions and does not intend to recall the vehicles cited in the investigation. The subject vehicles are safe and are not defective.”

Chrysler rejects feds request to recall millions of Jeeps (mlive.com)
    "Federal safety regulators have asked Chrysler to recall the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-'07 Jeep Liberty. Last June, NHTSA expanded its investigation into Chrysler fires and upgraded the matter to an engineering analysis, citing 15 deaths and 41 injuries allegedly caused by rear crashes in some Jeep models. The focus was originally on the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the investigation now includes 1993-2001 Jeep Cherokees and 2002-'07 Jeep Libertys."

Chrysler Refuses To Recall 2.7 Million Jeeps, Despite Pressure From Feds

Next up - arguments over bean-counting the cost of a recall vs the cost of a wrongful death suit.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think Marchionne is doing a good job resurrecting Chrysler, so I hesitate to second guess his decisions. I also don't know if he really wants a dragged out court battle, or is looking to negotiate a smaller recall with less financial repercussions. However, I'm not sure about this decision. You can win a battle (in court), but lose the war (consumer perception). Ram and Jeep are leading Chrysler's turn around. Court battles can go on a long time and we're already seeing pictures of burning Jeeps and burned out hulls in the media, and as the battle drags on I suspect injured consumers (especially children) from accident fires (related or not) may make it into this media coverage. I think more than a few consumers are leery of Chrysler Corp. quality and longer term durability, so this media coverage could reinforce those views and also affect buyers who are undecided. I know GM once got a court victory on pick up truck recalls. It saved them some money I suppose, but Ford still leads in sales. Speaking of the latter, I believe they initially resisted a recall on the Explorer blaming Firestone, but quickly retreated and replaced the Firestone tires on their own (and Firestone is no longer a major tire brand in the marketplace).

Generally, unless NHTSA made serious errors, substantially deviated from it's normal courses of action, or had egregious behavior, it is probably going to result in the court affirming the recall. That means appeals which will result in even more time for media coverage. If Chrysler gets a conservative judge and wins, that victory might also be Pyrrhic. Some may well perceive it as big business and corporate money trumping the little guy buyer. I doubt it will keep NHTSA from doing future recalls and may inadvertently result in NHTSA retreating to very narrow, strictly quantitative measures in future recall decisions which isn't necessarily to the industry's advantage.
    edited June 2013
    The scuttlebutt is that Chrysler can't afford the recall, which could run to a half-billion dollars and they are just barely hanging on by a thread as it is.
    edited June 2013
    "Chrysler obviously calculated the risks and benefits and concluded that the cost to repair these vehicles isn't as expensive as the potential long-term damage that could come from bad PR," said Michelle Krebs, Edmunds senior analyst."

Chrysler Backpedals, Agrees to Recall of Jeep SUVs
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Ahhh, good to know they only did the right thing because they have some smarter accountants than before. Glad to know it had nothing to do with a culture of standing behind your own product.

How's Edmund's long term Dodge Dart tester's original windshield doing these days? Any better than my '95 Dodge windshield?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Have you been following that saga? The latest news wasn't great.

2013 Dodge Dart: Replacement Windshield AWOL

Part of the delay is going through a warranty claim instead of filing an insurance claim.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Not all insurance claims are handled any faster. I was once with an insurance company that purposely dragged its feet for so long I was unable to get repairs started for a month after I would have liked to have gotten them started.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited June 2013
    All depends I guess. I had a windshield replaced ~2.5 years ago in the driveway by a mobile service. No deductible. It was almost 2 years before it stayed outside the garage in the rain long enough that I realized it leaks. :sick:

Reuters says Fiat is trying to buy some more VEBA shares they have an option on. Sergio wants full control.
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent buyer of a car from a manufacturer that is widely considered "American"--e.g. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Cadillac-- who has not previously owned an "American" car. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 1, 2013 no later than noon Pacific.
    "Hall said Chrysler is still having trouble launching new vehicles and wants to focus its investment and attention on getting right critical high-volume cars like the replacement for the Chrysler 200 that is due out next year."

Chrysler to extend production of Avenger, Wrangler, Caravan (Detroit News)
    "Chrysler and majority owner Fiat plan to build a new plant in Guangzhou, China, to produce Jeep SUVs, according to China’s Xinhua News.

The new plant in Guangzhou will be capable of producing 160,000 Jeep SUVs annually and represents an investment of about $774 million, according to the report.

Chrysler is likely to produce the Jeep Cherokee SUV in China.

Chrysler has been raising Jeep production at assembly plants in Toledo and Detroit."

Fiat plans to build new Jeep plant in China (Detroit Free Press)
    edited September 2013
    Been lots of rumors and speculation and now Chrysler files for initial public stock offering. (Detroit News)

Fiat isn't happy since they want their control of Chrysler to wind up as a merger.
    edited January 2014
    Chrysler's inability to get new vehicles into production and on sale is becoming a concern. The U.S. auto market is experiencing an historic sales recovery, but Chrysler showrooms contain too many warmed-over versions of old vehicles while competitors pack their dealerships with all-new models.

Everyone else is launching numerous new vehicles, said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst with Edmunds.com.

Every delay becomes more obvious and critical Krebs said. Chrysler is starting from behind because it was so badly neglectedwhen Daimler and Cerberus owned it.

Chrysler remains overly dependent on pickups, minivans, SUVs and big sedans, just like it was before Fiat's driven and charismatic chief Sergio Marchionne took charge."

Chrysler delays raise concerns (Detroit Free Press)
    If the IPO goes, you will be able to buy stock in the company next year.

CGC.

Which stands for Chrysler Grand Caravan. :D

"Fiat will acquire the 41.46 percent stake in Chrysler from a retiree healthcare trust affiliated with the United Auto Workers union, which will receive $3.65 billion in cash for its stake. Additionally, once the deal closes, Chrysler has committed to giving the trust an additional $700 million.

The deal is a victory for Marchionne, who wants to merge Fiat and Chrysler and create a more competitive automaker with a broader global reach. But he has been at odds with the UAW trust for more than a year over the value of Chrysler."

Fiat reaches deal with UAW trust to buy rest of Chrysler (Reuters)

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

I wonder how much responsibility Marchionne can own for signing off on such a botched first year for the Dart in America? They made a number of glaring errors, but two biggies that come to mind is their most fuel efficient engine option required premium fuel in order to come anywhere close to the optimistic EPA put on the car. Plus the nationally advertised low entry price couldn't get you anywhere near that engine. And it was all compounded by an auto (the DSG) that worked miserably in real-world use. And the kicker?? That that was the only auto you could get when getting what was considered their premium engine in the quest for FE and go. Fail, fail, fail..

In the beginning, that car was supposed to have a ZF sourced, conventional 6 (or was it 7?) speed auto. Had it had that tranny, at least that would be one big negative addressed.

There is a reason you rarely see one on the road. In these parts it is an extremely rare sighting indeed..in any trim level.

edited January 2014

Steven Rattner, Obama's auto czar is tweeting "Chrysler equity value in 2009: $0. Today: $8.8 billion. Big win for UAW members and for American people"

Sergio probably enjoyed reading that one.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

Now we have only two Domestics Barely. As most of the D2 vehicles are built in Mexico or Canada. Bet Marchionne does not put up with any UAW crap.

**Chrysler has enjoyed great success under Fiat's ownership. It returned to profitability in 2011 and has been steadily improving sales and market share. Final 2013 sales figures are expected to show the company sold 2.6 million vehicles worldwide, up about 18% from 2012 and more than 70% from 2010, its first full year under Fiat's control.

The U.S. government also held a stake in Chrysler at the time it emerged from bankruptcy as compensation for the federal bailout the automaker received. But Treasury sold those shares back to Chrysler at a loss in 2011.**

"The redesigned 2014 Jeep Cherokee shares a front-drive platform with several Fiat models. The redesigned 2015 Chrysler 200 and a subcompact Jeep model also share Fiat front-drive platforms with Fiat. Both are expected to debut in the first quarter of 2014. A small Ram van based on a Fiat model also is expected."

Chrysler Group Vehicles May Get Euro Flavor Under New Deal

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    A small Ram van based on a Fiat model also is expected."

I'll bet that thing will do well here..that's been a huge void here for years. There are so many mini Sprinter-type vans running around England, it's the most common utility vehicle there is. Of course ours won't get the diesel options..

Ford seems to do well enough with their Transit here, but even it doesn't actually qualify as what I would perceive as a small Ram. A VW bus sorta style is what it sounds like it should end up being...maybe a tad smaller..

Yeah, I think Ford was a bit surprised at how well the Transit Connect has sold. I'd be interested in a small van that got "good" mileage -- the VW microbus concept from early 2000's was way cool.

So Fiat and Chrysler are now one. How many years do you give it until the Finance types spin the two off again?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

@berri said:
    So Fiat and Chrysler are now one. How many years do you give it until the Finance types spin the two off again?

I don't think it will happen. Unlike the MB/C "merger of equals" back in '98, this time the two companies will unite products. We're already seeing it with the Dart and 200. The euro-inspired vans are already here as well.

We'll see more of the same going forward. North America profits will fund future product development - at least, that's the plan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

The previous one anyway had quite a few W210 bits. And of course the Crossfire was an SLK of sorts.

@berri said:
    I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

@gagrice said:
    The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

They might have back in the late 90's but I doubt its true today.

As I understood it, MB engineers had to be drug kicking and screaming to the discussions with C engineers regarding product development and platform/component sharing.

Culture clash of the first order. Read "Taken for a Ride" for the whole story.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about the 2011+ Charger and 300 sharing anything with Benz, but they're really not all-new designs, so I would think that they'd still have something in common with the older E-class, or whichever Benz model the first 300/Charger/Magnum was wrought from.

@andre1969 said:
    According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

Yes, I think the 7-speed is an in-house unit (over 10 years old now, too - ahead of the pack). There's a 9-speed available in Europe now that is made by ZF, IIRC.

@gagrice said:
    The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

FCA - not to be confused with Ferrari Club of America.

"A new chapter of our story begins with the creation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles," said John Elkann, Fiat chairman, in a statement. "A journey that started over a decade ago, as Fiat sought to ensure its place in an increasingly complex marketplace, has brought together two organizations each with a great history in the automotive industry and different but complementary geographic strengths. FCA allows us to face the future with a renewed sense of purpose and vigor."

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Debuts

Super Bowl Dylan ad for Chrysler gets a lot of Sellout flack. Hard to say Chrysler is still a Domestic nameplate. Soon to be renamed and move the HQ to the Netherlands.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/03/an-obsessive-bob-dylan-fan-deludes-himself-into-justifying-that-chrysler-ad-in-5-steps/