Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Nicely done, akirby !
    ;)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I was just trying to be helpful and clarifying a point which had been raised. Unfortunately I wasn't mindful of which discussion I was in at the time. My bad. :P
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Let's Focus. :(
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Elantra I 30 HB limited. Where is every body?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Probably over on the Hyundai forums and not on this Ford Focus forum.
  • jbonham1001jbonham1001 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Having same problem. Bought new 2012 Focus SE 5-speed manual early January 2012 with sport package. Averaging 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. Extremely poor performance for such a small car. The 2002 Civic EX I traded in was doing 28 mpg city and 37 mpg highway. Complained to salesman, he advised to drive it a few hundred miles more. If it doesn't improve, I'll take it in. I'm happy with the car otherwise.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Hello. Looking at small, safe sedans for $16k or so (prefer new) and looking at the new Focus S with automatic. Sticker is $18,390 and they quoted $15,390 plus taxes & fees. I know the rear windows are manual; but, it's got all the safety stuff I'm looking for and the only real "luxury" I really care about is keyless entry--and this has it. I'm not impressed with the messages I'm reading here considering all the praise this new Focus is getting in the media. My first choice would be a 2012 Sentra 2.0 S with convenience package. Sticker is close to $20k and they're selling for a little over $15k, but its IIHS scores are keeping me away. Thoughts?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The odd thing about the Sentra is that the IIHS side impact score for 2011-12 is lower than for 2007-10--and it's the same overall design!

I think you'd enjoy how the Focus drives better than the Sentra. The Sentra's ride is smooth enough, but the steering feels somewhat disconnected. The Sentra has more interior room and more features than the base Focus.

If the ride/drive test isn't enough to sway you to the Focus and you would buy the Sentra if it were not for the IIHS score, one thing to consider is to get a slightly used 2010 Sentra S. It's pretty much the same car as for 2012 except ESC was optional for 2010, so you'd want to be sure the car has that option. Also the side impact test results are better--apparently Nissan redesigned the side airbags for 2011, and not with good results!

Another very safe car to consider is a used Impreza (since a new one would be over $16k). Good crash safety plus the safety of AWD.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The odd thing about the Sentra is that the IIHS side impact score for 2011-12 is lower than for 2007-10--and it's the same overall design!

Didn't IIHS change the rules for 2011?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    What specifically has turned you off?

For 15ish it's not bad; 3k off MSRP seems like you're doing pretty good.
    I think you are thinking of the government crash tests, which got tougher in 2011.
    The back seat is cramped and the S sedan has manual rear windows. That just looks like an effort to be cheap. How much could 2 power window motors have cost? What else was done in an effort to be cheap?

I am also worried because it's brand new and they don't seem to be selling very quickly (where I live). If you want a 2012 Elantra, you have to search the web for an area dealership who even has any Elantras on hand and then they sell them for above sticker as quickly as they can. I went to a Chevy dealer and asked about the current incentives on the Cruze and he pointed to the total price on the bottom of the sticker and said "That's the price they are. No rebates or discounts." When I said I was just looking around, he told me to have a nice day and walked off to find the next person to sell to. The Ford guy calls me every other day wondering if I'm going to come buy the car today. They marked it down $3k when even edmunds says they should cost more than that. That makes me nervous.
    I was talking about the IIHS test scores.
    I know you were. I was replying to robr2's comment about a change in the methodology for 2011. I don't think IIHS changed, but the government did toughen their crash tests starting in 2011.
    You 'could' move up to an SE for more options and with rebates be close to the other prices.

Not like I'm trying to persuade you into a Focus...but didn't the Sentra you mention also have a huge discount on MSRP?

I wouldn't necessarily come to the conclusion that a vehicle is inferior because they offer rebates...maybe they were too aggressive with the MSRP or underestimated the competition.

I really liked the Focus SE Hatch with sport package and 17" wheels. It was approx 22.5k MSRP but with TMV and rebates I could have had it for around 19K; but then I drove a new VW beetle (the man beetle...) and I liked it better even though on paper the Focus was a better vehicle.

I suppose you need to drive all in that price range (with rebates) to discover the best for you; with your criteria for IIHS, etc.

I don't see a dud in this category; they are are competitive and compelling for their own reasons.

For the salesman that walked away from you...many years ago I was at a Porsche dealer and the salesman didn't give me the time of day (I was in my 20's)...I left and the next day drove in with my new Audi...I told him too bad he didn't want to sell me a car and then drove off...his loss
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Part of the problem is that more people seem to be opting for Focus SEL and Titanium Hatchbacks rather than S/SEs or sedans. There are plenty of SEs around here but not that many SELs or Titaniums. I think the dealers were used to selling the Focus as a cheap car so that's what they ordered. The incentives are temporary to move the current excess inventory. If necessary Ford will just cut back on production.

The average price of a new Focus was $20K compared to $16K for a Civic. I expect the Cruze is closer to $16K as well. Ford may not sell quite as many Focii but they're sure making a lot more money on them than they used to.
    There are plenty of SEs around here but not that many SELs or Titaniums.

All the better for folks like me who want an SE (hatch, please)!

I see quite a few SEs on lots but NOT with the 5-speed... despite reviews like those from C/D which recommends the SE 5-speed as the best choice in the Focus lineup (no MySync, no automatic).

Or maybe it's just that all the SE 5-speeds are already in the hands of happy owners? I pulled up alongside an SE sedan 5-speed in a parking lot the other day. So they DO exist.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Or maybe it's just that all the SE 5-speeds are already in the hands of happy owners? I pulled up alongside an SE sedan 5-speed in a parking lot the other day. So they DO exist."

When my wife and I were car shopping for her new ride a couple of months back, the Sales Associate we were talking with told us his dealership has a hard time keeping the manual SEs on the lot; this in spite of the fact that they order nearly 40% of their SE models with a stick. He also said they've lost quite a few sales to folks who wanted a manual transmission (preferrably a 6-Speed manual) and lots of goodies, and that his dealership is constantly recommending to momma Ford that they start offering manual versions of the Titanium.

Long story short, yes, they do exist. :shades:
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Well, it's true that everything is regional. Here in my neck of the woods, the Chevy dealer is selling the Cruze at $1,000 below invoice, as they aren't selling too well.

And the Elantra is flying off the shelves here, too.

Though, Ford seems to be selling their Focus at above invoice, but below MSRP.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The 2012 Focus SE's MSRP is just $1000 more than the S. There is also a cash incentive of $2000 for the SE vs. $1500 for the S, narrowing the gap to less than $500 OTD. You get a lot of nice extras for those relatively few bucks-

Steering wheel radio controls
    Compass
    Carpet Mats
    Power rear windows
    Trip Computer
    Seatback pocket
    Front center armrest
    Automatic exterior lights w/ Delay-off
    Illuminated entry
    Fog lights
    P215/55HR16 vs. P195/65TR15 tires

My other suggestion would be to take a look at the 2012 Mazda3 i Sport 4-door. MSRP is $18,490 but it is selling for $15,950 locally (Atlanta) after $750 Cash Rebate. It has almost every feature included on the Focus SE...just a thought! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Although 2012 Focus has not had as many problems as the original Model of over a decade ago, (no recalls) I'm sure that Ford had hoped for better results, specifically, the incentives would not have been necessary.
    About 2 years ago, as information became available of the 2012 design and upgrade to world Focus, I anticipated being one of the first out the door with this new model to replace my '04 Focus ZTS which currently has 115 k and is still is fun to drive and feels substantially new.
    When I took a Test drive of an automatic SE model some months ago, It was probably unrepresentitive. I drove it in traffic and the sales rep was just to much in my ear and it was a bad experience. These sales people should know better, throw me a key, stay out of the way and let me drive the car. That is how I bought the last Focus.
    Long story short, although there are certainly other considerations, I am now looking forward towards the launch of the 2013 Fusion 2 liter eco-boost with the paddle shifters.
    Not sure if this "extra" rebate is included in your numbers...

but when I requested a mailed brochure I received an additional "personal" $500 rebate that could be applied to any other rebates...it Excluded the Focus S though.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited January 2012
    Replacing your '04 Focus ZTS? The Focus III's rear leg room's not gonna cut it. No wonder you have to consider the new Fusion/Mondeo instead.

& your '04 Focus ZTS most likely has the reliable Mazda drivetrain (2.3 w/ slushbox automatic) to begin with.

This new Euro-designed Focus III built in the US seems to warp more & more as it ages under the sunlight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXNNe1C9i0

& I am not even talking about the DCT tranny or MyFordTouch...

Forget it! I just placed an order on the "end of cycle" Mk6 Golf 2.5 made-in-Germany w/ "the unique-for-2012 luxury option like extendable front center armrest & rear adjustable A/C vents" & the (now "rare & precious") slushbox (but w/ frequent lock up) made by Aisin/Toyota. I call this car "proven technology" similar to Toyota/Honda (i.e., no turbo/supercharger, no direct injection, & no dual-clutch automatic) but w/o being boring-to-drive or bumpy riding :shades: Peace of mind...(beats 40mpg lemons)
    edited January 2012
    Civic: (Note: Euro Civic's these days don't come w/ multi-link rear suspension)

"Road noise is better isolated from the cabin than before, but Honda claims the biggest improvements have been made to the driving experience, and to the ride comfort in particular. Here, at least, the company has been successful.

It’s instantly obvious that the rigid set-up of the old car has been banished and there’s now far more give in the suspension. Nasty potholes still upset the Civic a fraction more than the other cars and the suspension doesn’t cope with expansion joints as well as the Ford or VW, but the newcomer rides well.

There is a price to pay, though, as the changes have blunted the old car’s sharp responses. Make no mistake, the Honda still handles well, but the chassis and its reactions feel a fraction softer. Grip remains strong but there is less front-end bite than in the Focus and Golf.

The steering has also lost some of its precision and, compared to the Focus in particular, there’s less feedback, leaving you with little sense of what the front end is doing. Yet there’s no faulting the light but snappy gearshift action, and the Honda recorded the shortest stopping distances in our brake tests."

Focus:

"Driving the Focus is a different story, as the beautifully weighted controls soon help you feel at one with the car. The steering is accurate and delivers plenty of feedback, while the slick gearshift, progressive brakes and positive throttle response also impress.

The Ford has the most responsive turn-in of the trio, plus plenty of front-end grip, and its balance through a corner makes it fun and reassuring in equal measure. Plus, on the standard 16-inch wheels fitted to our test car, the ride is supple and comfortable."

Golf:

"Road noise is well isolated from the cabin, while the composed chassis and taut suspension set-up deliver a comfortable ride and excellent body control. In corners there’s plenty of grip, and vice-free handling makes the Golf reassuring and relaxing to drive. Plus, all the controls are well weighted and help the car communicate feedback better than the Civic."

This comparison test by Autoexpress are on diesel models only.
  • cimetiere101cimetiere101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I am a newbee here!! I would like to get your honest opinion in order to help me make a decision. For financial reasons, I will have to quite downgrade my lifestyle in the near future. This means going from my Infiniti G37x techonology package to a less expensive one, such as Focus 2012, Elantra or something like that. As of the last few weeks, the focus seemed to be the best choice, i.e. I was looking for technology close to the one I have with infiniti like rear camera, leather, automatic parking, nav, xmradio, etc. and also, I wanted to get the one that has the most punch in acceleration (considering that it is indeed a 4 cylinders and the focus seems to have more power punch than the Elantra?).

However, having read the issue with the transmission hesitation and the confusing usage of the center console technology, I am quite hesitating now!

What would be your suggestion? Also, is the focus as reliable as infiniti? (I barely had any issue whatsover with my infiniti in the past)

Many thanks to all of you!

Daniel
    yes you are :)

it's not "new...bee" but "newbie" :shades:

Have you driven one yet? (pun in there...)

I like the tech interface...you need to spend some time with it to see if you can live with it. It's not that unfamiliar to your Infiniti interface...

I don't own one but for the test drive I didn't mind the auto transmission...I liked the manual better though (only a 5spd :mad: ).

I didn't drive the Elantra but did drive the veloster (same engine)...it is really...really weak. NOTHING under 4k rpm...literally...you hit the gas and the tach swings up to 4 and you slowly creep ahead. I wouldn't buy it just for this reason.

If you have to downgrade for financial reasons I'd go really cheap. I don't see a huge monthly difference between a G37 and Titanium Focus. So if your safety margins are that tight I'd just go get a used Nissan Versa for 10K to give the finances the ole college try...

Obviously you know the numbers so if you go for the Focus make sure you get all the rebates...there's a number you may qualify for.
    There have been some minor issues with myfordtouch on the focus but a rewritten version is right around the corner so no worries there.

For 2013 you'll be able to order a Titanium with a manual trans if that matters to you.

The trans issues have been overblown to a degree. The latest software seems to have resolved 90% of the reported issues. My daughter has a 2012 SEL hatch and the only thing I've noticed with the trans is that it feels different at low speeds and when reversing, but it's not "bad" different, just feels more like a manual (which is what it really is).

You'd really need to drive one to be sure since some people are more sensitive about it than others, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one personally. They're great cars.
    edited January 2012
    Just read that 45% of 2011 Focus sales were to fleet buyers. Wow, that can hurt resale values. Who would have thought that possible?. Was it end of year sales of the 2011 that went into fleet or is it also the 2012 ongoing? Either way that's a lot and the Forbes article also said that Ford topped all automakers in fleet sales last year.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    since the Titanium model is adding a manual transmission in the spring and Ford has rebates of up to 2K in my area, would it be possible to take advantage of the rebate if I had to order a Focus? I ask this because I'm sure it will be hard to find a Focus Titanium the way I'd want it on the lot (RS401 pkg, sunroof, winter pkg, navigation, kick plates)

Thanks in advance folks!
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Wow, I was going to post both about the fleet sales and the manual availability. I got scooped on both points!

Anyway: 45%! That's astounding to me. Ford couldn't have wanted that. Is this because people are fleeing from mytouch, which Ford delivered in too many vehicles? Or is it because Americans are not ready to pay for a premium small car?

I sure hope it's the former.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Here's a comment from autoblog, supposely by the writer or the original Forbes article about Ford's fleet sales:

"Joann Muller
    As the author of the Forbes story that started this thread, I thought you should know it is indeed the 2012 Focus that went to fleet in great numbers. Production started in spring 2011, and as many as 90% of the first cars produced went to fleets. I'm told it was because of contractual obligations. Also, there weren't a lot of cars produced initially because of launch problems (bad dashboards, so they had to fly some in from Europe, and transmission complaints). As the year wore on, and production improved, that % gradually went down. In the third quarter, for example, it was 34%. For the first nine months, it averaged 45%. Fourth quarter registration data's not out yet. So it could be lower. It's still unusually high, especially for a new car right out of the chute."
    The rebates would only apply to a 2012 model but yes you could order one the way you want it and still get rebates. However, it depends on the dealer whether they're allowed to lock in the rebates at time of order or if you have to wait and take whatever rebates are in place when you take delivery.

I assume part of the fleet sales were commercial and not all rental sales, but it appears that Ford made a conscious decision to send a lot of the early builds (that sometimes get held for weeks) to rental fleets rather than customers.

I know there was not a glut of vehicles on dealer lots because I had to order one for my daughter back in June and that didn't change much until the last month or two.

You won't see high rental fleets going forward - I'm sure of that.
    Thanks Akirby! So the 2013 Focus is coming out early in the spring? and the Titanium manual comes out in the spring too, right? I wanna make sure I'm getting all of this right. Any word on the 1.6t going into the Focus SEL or Titanium? Thanks in advance...I appreciate all the info!
    Not sure on the date for the 2013 but that may be right. I know Ford is trying to move most product debuts to Spring or earlier to be closer to the big auto shows. I don't think the Focus gets the 1.6 eb yet but I could be wrong.
  • gone2gone2 Member Posts: 1
    The 2012 Ford Focus came out in early spring 2011. You will note the new Elantra that came out shortly thereafter that everyone was comparing with and against this Focus was actually a 2011. So in the fall of 2011 the 2012 Elantra came out but the 2012 Focus was out six months or more early.

Expect the 2013 Ford Focus to make it's appearance as most other cars in the fall of 2013 not the spring of that year.
    The 2011 Elantra you are talking about hit the dealers in Dec. 2010 and that is why it was called a 2011 model and not a 2012 model. If it had been introduced in 2011 they could have called it a 2012 model like Ford did with the Focus which hit dealers about two to three month after. The 2012 Elantra came out about the time that most new car introductions which is the fall. But, that tradition seems to be a thing of the past with new model introductions taking place earlier and earlier in the year. I actually think the carmakers are spreading out their debuts to generate more buzz all year long rather than just a short time frame like the old days.
    I'm aware of when the Focus came out...Titanium with manual transmission is supposed to be available in the Spring of this year...so when I asked about rebates and ordering Akirby mentioned the current rebates being only available for 2012 models which made me assume the 2013 was coming out soon.
    Should the sticker price of the Titanium Focus w/ Manual Tranny be considerably less than the automatic model ? Typically A.T. will add $1,000 to the sticker price.

Here is another question: Is Ford actually reacting to the desires of auto enthusiasts with this decision ? :D
    I think the DSG in the Focus is a $1095 MSRP option...$953 invoice...I would't be surprised if Ford does a "No charge" option type deal...my 07 Accord is an excellent car...no need to trade at the moment but I REALLY would like a Focus Titanium with a stick shift, though I'd prefer it were a 6spd and not a 5spd.
    Akirby mentioned the current rebates being only available for 2012 models which made me assume the 2013 was coming out soon.

No, it doesn't mean that. That is always the case - the current incentives only apply to the current models regardless of when the new one arrives. Meaning you won't see 2013 incentives until the 2013s are actually on the lot for sale.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Just took delivery of my red candy SEL with stone leather seats last night. Drove 50 miles last night and another 20 today. So far, I love it. I made sure the dealer applied the latest transmission software before I took delivery, but I have no transmission problems! There is a slight delay accelerating from a stop, akin to turbo lag. But once you get used to it it's fine, and the benefits of this transmission far outweigh that slight initial lag. It has continuous power delivery during acceleration, not even the slight interruptions you get with true automatics. VERY quick shifting. And passing power above 3,000 rpm is impressive and smooth. Handling is fantastic, given this is a mass production compact car. I'm not very happy with the rebates now continuing to April or the large percentage of these cars sold to fleets, both of which will hurt resale. But I got such a great deal on this car (the dealer clearly took a huge loss) that I'm not overly concerned with that.

Overall, very happy with this car (so far)!
  • smarkwaysmarkway Member Posts: 1
    Had a 2006 Diesel Golf which ran great..... when it wasn't in the shop. I loved the acceleration (5 speed manual) and the 40 mpg (even with my lead foot) Bought the loaded Focus SEL hatchback in October and have 8600 miles. The MyTouch has yet to function properly and has been into the shop repeatedly. The dealership reflashed the memory and upgraded the software several times, has replaced one piece of hardware and the navigation chip, and I am now awaiting a new antenna. The MySync concept was fabulous and will probably someday work. I'm not a real techie but am sharper than most and this is a Beta system.... I bought the Focus because of it high degree of luxury and all the technological wonders. Unfortunatley, this system is too advanced for techs at the dealership who have to frequently call or email headquarters for troubleshooting advice. The acceleration is what you would expect from a computer controlled 6 speed that is programed for good miliage. It struggles to find the proper gear in stop and go traffic and when you need to pull out into traffic quickly you had better put your foot in it. In town I frequently leave it in sport mode. The ride is comfortable and it handles quite well. I would like a bit firmer feel so I was thinking about aftermarket sport suspension upgrades. Despite Mfg claims, I get on average 28 mpg combined city/highway commuting. I get a little better on long highway trips. The exterior, trim and leather seats are beautiful. I was willing to accept the shortcomings in acceleration, shifting and fuel economy for the degree of luxury, handeling and the MySynch technology. However, since Ford is talking about software fixes not until the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2012 and I have paid for functions that I have not received, I would love if Ford would buy this thing back from me. Ford has not delivered what was promised and I'm tired of having my dealership on speed dial...
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    “The acceleration is what you would expect from a computer controlled 6 speed that is programed for good miliage.”

Consumer Reports testing shows that the Focus has the best acceleration of any of its automatic-equipped direct mainstream competition (Cruze, Elantra, Jetta, Corolla, Civic, Mazda3), beating most by a half second or more. It also holds its own on fuel economy with 28 mpg overall, beaten slightly by the Elantra (29), Civic (30) and more significantly by the Corolla (32). But everyone seems to agree the Corolla is about as enjoyable to drive as an ice cream truck.

That’s actually pretty impressive that it gets the best acceleration and gets only slightly lower economy than the slower cars in the group. The Jetta for example is a half second slower and only gets 25 overall. And the Civic gets 2mpg better economy but takes a full second longer to get to 60!
    Personally I readily accept a 1-2mpg hit for a car that rides and handles this good. Mine was built in December and I have no issues with the transmission.

I don’t have Myford Touch so I might be less enthusiastic if I had to go through all that hassle but the standard stereo system in my SEL is much much better (great LCD graphics and usability) than what I’m used to in my other Fords or what I’ve seen in the Focus’s direct competition that I’ve rented for work in the past year.
    MFT is still on target for 1st Quarter - not sure where you got the 2nd or 3rd quarter estimate from.

Ford won't allow fleet sales to affect resale value. That only happens with fleet dumping to rental companies and that's not happening.

Focus sales for January were the best since 2003 and up significantly from 2011.
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Member Posts: 124
    The 2013 Focus will be introduced in late summer, not spring. Sources say order cut off for the '12 is April 27th, 2012
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Well, I did it. I sold my 2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6 and went into a 2012 Ford Focus 5 door Hatch. I bought a Focus SE with sport package, winter package, convience package and sunroof in Oxford white. Car just feels solid and handles great. I am hoping for at least 35-40MPG after about 5K miles. Only have 40miles on the car so of course not much going on. I plan on tinting windows, adding splash guards. I may put a sunroof wind guard on, I don't know yet. New car! Yahoo! Support America folks! Support American products and services! :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to hear from a driver of a Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze or Chevy Sonic who previously drove a compact from a Japanese automaker, such as the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. If you currently drive a Focus, Fiesta, Cruze or Sonic, and are willing to share your story with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than the end of business Tuesday, March 6, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
    EVO's opinion:
    "As with the petrol version, the TDCI Zetec S suffers from slightly empty-feeling electric power steering. You get used to it over time, but it still takes the edge off the driving experience."

But then, does the Focus have to worry these days?

The king of steering feel -- Mazda3 -- is also ruined in the Skyactiv form...
    Winding Road's opinion:
    "To be fair, I’ve driven some great EHPAS systems, and in general prefer them over full electric units. For some reason it just hasn’t worked for me in the Mazda. It’s a fast steering rack to be sure, but in becoming so quick to turn, it’s sacrificed any real heft from the rack. Feedback is also hurt, as I just couldn’t get a great idea of what’s going on through the wheel. To be fair, suspension feedback is still quite good, but I’ve always appreciated Mazda’s ability to instill its steering systems with a very rich communicative experience.

Pros

Skyactiv powertrain is a huge win for the 3, with better power and econ
    Communicative suspension makes for confident driving
    Very little body roll and good stiffness (without harshness) from the suspension

Cons

Super-light steering is distracting
    Automatic transmission isn’t the best choice for enthusiast drivers
    Competition from the Focus is stiff indeed"
    I was told by a Ford sales rep awhile back that the hatch has a flat-folding rear seat--vs. the not-at-all-flat folding rear seat in the sedan. Great, I thought. Until I checked out a Focus hatch at my local auto show today. Nowhere near "flat", in fact it sticks up much more than on most other compact hatches. So that moves the Focus SE way down my shopping list for my next car, since it doesn't have any major advantages over the Mazda3i Touring, and several disadvantages.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Were the rear seat bottoms pulled up? If the seat bottoms are in place the seat back will not be close to flat. Stick your hand between the back of the seat bottom and the bottom of the seat back and pull up on the seat. The seat will pull forward and sit vertically behind the front seat back, then remove the headrests and lay the seat back down. I took my headrests out and leave them out to improve visibility and I fold the seat down often. A lot of salesman still don't know how to do this and it's very sad.