Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    just such a busy calendar,,,,,,

i am planning to come down there, just don't know when.

jeff
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I don't know if he will take the time to post or not, but I have emailed our old buddy, Bamatazz, and he has replied.

He says he and his wife have opened another restaurant besides the one they were already running. That keeps them very busy, naturally.

I know some of you have asked about him, so I thought I would post this.

Terry, we would still like to hear from you once in a while, you know! Are you really THAT busy??

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    I bought the Alpine CDA9827, which comes XM ready. And from reading the manual, it says that I would need the XM receiver and XM antenna connected to the radio.
      I just checked the Alpine site, and man, it probably would have been nice to buy the one you mentioned, but it was a little more expensive than the one I bought; however, it looks like with mine, I can subscribe to either XM OR Sirius so it gives me a little flexibility.
      Now tell me about the security console that can hold the subwoofer? I was under the impression that it was only just a storage area and wouldn't allow you to put the subwoofer in there? Where I live, there's not much theft and I don't make it a habit to tempt people so I don't leave much in there. But it would be nice to have a secure spot that doesn't kill what meager space jeeps already have.

des'
  • twowheeljonestwowheeljones Member Posts: 2
    thanks mtngal and mac24...

The air filter was one of the first things I checked and its very clean. I just tried the engine codes but it didnt work - my 'check engine' light is not on - doesn't this need to be on to have engine codes?

again, I do appreciate the advice. I will take it to AutoZone and see what they say.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It works on '97s and some '98s, not on '99s, then it's back again on '01/'02s.

A 'check engine' light or MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) always means the computer is holding codes, but computer stored codes don't necessarily trip the MIL.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the info on bamatazz - no wonder he's not on here any more! Glad to hear he's doing well and prospering...

It sounds like the Sirius antennas are bigger than the XM's antenna, so that might be something to think about. I like the fact that my antenna is hidden on the roll bar.
    Now did the dealer install the radio and antenna for you or did you do it yourself? I know you said you got it put in under the padding on the sound bar. Did they just unzip it and installed it and zipped it back up? The padding seems pretty tight on the bar already.
      But XM does have a tiny antenna so it might not make that much of a difference. You may have already said this, but where did you put the XM receiver? If possible, I'd rather be able to remove it so that it doesn't "walk away" (even though it probably won't) and so that I can keep it out of the elements.

des'
    Well, Jeff, Mark, and anyone else who might be interested, I wheel right through the winter, so don't think you have to wait until spring.

I like warm weather wheelin' better, since you can do it topless and doorless, but winter wheelin' is still tons of fun.

If you guys are serious, the only way to make it happen is to plan ahead: set a date. As long as it is just going to be "sometime," it ain't gonna happen. Seems like "sometime" never seems to get here.

I promise you guys that you will say it was well worth the trip.

And, like I said, Jeff, if you learn your way around Rockport Off Road Park, I would like to come up and have you guide me around that place.

I love TB, but it is always fun to try some new places once in a while.

Tom

Here's a pic taken just before we hit the trails at Turkey Bay on 2/15/02. This was my first taste of wheelin', and I was hooked for life after the fun I had that day.

The guy on the left with the little boy was also wheelin' for his first time that day. The guy on the right with the gold sweatshirt is Rod, the guy I met via the Internet and who agreed to take me wheelin' for my first time.

The guy wearing sunglasses and standing next to me is my cousin, Perry, who died of cancer on April 1, 2003. He already had undergone exploratory surgery and some chemo when this pic was taken. I'm so glad he got to go wheelin' with me that first time and a couple other times after that. Perry and I were only a couple years apart in age, and we had been more like brothers than cousins our whole lives.

Of course, you see who else was with me that first wheelin' trip. Good Old Ross Allen.

I said I wheel in the winter, and I posted this to show that my first wheelin' trip ever was in the winter.

Tom

february, and you are wearing sweatshirts.

i wasn't thinking about what just a few miles south does to the climate!

I've been trying to find where i stashed my long underwear, karharts, gloves and hats. temps in the teens will be here soon.

jeff
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Desno,

Keep in mind, with an XM-ready unit, you will need that external tuner, which will run about 100.00. XMradio.com has a new 'universal' tuner that will work for 50.00, but you have to buy the Alpine adapter, which is another 50.00 (hence 100.00). For the price of the head unit + the tuner, you are probably in the integrated unit's price range anyway. That was my thinking anyway, plus it saves in having to mount additional hardware in a location that could get wet/stolen/etc.

As for the security console, check out this link:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/tj/066.html

There is a storage area under the padded armrest, which has a perfect height for me. The storage area has a depressed area, which is perfect for holding CD's. I can also fit a leatherman, stereo faceplate, my insurance/registration in there (so it doesn't get stolen too), and a few other things. Under that storage area is a vented area designed to hold a factory subwoofer. I put in a slightly larger Kicker sub and it puts the bass right at my right hip - PERFECT! I also mounted my Cobra 75WXST handheld CB's base under the security console and can install/remove the hand unit easily. I got mine in black, but unfortunately I don't have any pics of it installed as of yet. But after Camp Jeep, it was rather brown!

This is available from any online 4wd dealer like JCWhitney or Quadratec. I got mine from 4x4groupbuy.com - they tend to have prices below everybody else. I have bought other stuff from them as well, including my rock rails (made by ToysbyTroy.com). Mtngal has seen my setup and knows what the rails are like, but you can see them up at Webshots under:

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

Just look for the 97 Wrangler photo album.

Now if my Jeep would just get here... *sigh* I keep seeing a couple of TJ's and YJ's in my temporary apartment parking lot and I miss my Kermit... *sigh* dang withdrawl... *sigh*

-Paul
    ok,, now how about some stuck pictures from that first day,,

show me yours / i'll show you mine!!

jeff
    In my first time wheeling with Tom, I learned a lot from him just by watching. I saw good lines and bad lines.

I can speak from experience here - what I learned from Tom was invaluable in my first offroading at Camp Jeep. I was so confident in what Tom taught me that I tackled the A/B trails (expert) at Camp Jeep and did some funky angles and did not get stuck once (at least to the point of having to be winched out). I had to backup and try again a couple of times, but successfully made it.

One run in particular took us into a ravine at the base of 2 mountains. It used to have water, but was bone dry. It was a short steep descent (think Nose Dive but 2-3 times longer) and then you have to articulate over some SERIOUS rock. There was about 2 feet of room to navigate through this ravine. The TJ Sport ahead of me got stuck repeatedly. The spotters helped, but after watching Tom and the rest of the guys I wheeled with that day back in March, I just saw the line I wanted and went. I heard the spotters saying, "He's got the perfect line." No problemo.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera that day - it was WAY to dusty to have it on the trail.

Go hook up with him a few times and he'll have ya doing things you never thought you would.

In my webshots link in my previous post, you can see my Camp Jeep photos too.

-Paul
    I had the Alpine installed by the installer - things have gotten too complicated now days for me to try a radio install, especially because I have the upgraded speaker package.

However, I had been using a Roady for about a month before I got the Alpine head. With the roady I put it on the passenger's side corner of the roll bar. My padding has a velcro piece that goes over the corner, so I just pealed that back, put the antenna up, then put the piece back in place. Then I unzipped the padding to run the wire down the bar. The installer said that they tucked it under the padding more, so I guess it is more on the top of the bar than I had it. The antenna is small enough that it will go under the padding a bit without much problem.

The installer routed the antenna wire along the top bar and then took it down the windshield. I'm not sure if they unzipped the padding or just how they routed it (I really should check out how they did it). I can't see it at all - it was a very clean install.

I had the antenna on that corner when I used it in the '98 Sport hardtop. I was concerned about clearance with the hard top, and that corner has extra room. The '98 has no padding to speak of on the roll bar, so it was just a matter of sticking it on.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Hey, guys and gals,

4wheelparts.com has Pro Comp recovery straps on sale for half-price. I got a 30ft by 2 inch 20,000lb strap for $25. Saved $32.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    After recently bragging on my Sahara's reliability I started up the Sahara this morning only to find that she sounded like a rusty old beater. I immediately realized that I had finally become a member of the infamous 4.0 cracked exhaust manifold club(I suspect it's my TJ's way of telling me that she doesn't want to share her garage with a Triumph Speed Four). Fortunately, I have a friendly shop that is going to weld the crack shut for $5 in order to give me some time to get a new manifold. Does everyone agree that the Banks Torque Tube header is still the best replacement option? If so, does anyone happen to know what online store has the best price? Any and all opinions and suggestions will be appreciated!
    I think all the replacement manifolds have had cracking problems. Banks has been noticeably active in making modifications to correct the problem (and it certainly won't rust!).

There's a Chinese copy of the modified OEM one (with the bellows) that's usually for sale on eBay at about $125 with a lifetime warranty. Seems to be holding up pretty well for some people.

You might also consider seeing how well your old manifold holds up if they do a good job of welding it. Assuming it just has the usual stress crack, and hasn't fallen into a dozen pieces, you may well get another five years out of it.
    There's a Chinese copy of the modified OEM one (with the bellows) that's usually for sale on eBay at about $125 with a lifetime warranty.

Or.............. how about $57 with a lifetime warranty?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- - &item=7934762716&category=33632

Not a recommendation, just for consideration.
    Well, I certainly don't want to buy a new manifold unless I have to. Thanks again for your tips; I truly appreciate your help. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now...
    and I still will not participate. DARN!

(But this time it will be because I quit 10.5 months ago!)

Tom

Well, I think it would probably be better to have the external XM receiver that way I can take it from my car and put it in my wife's car when we go on long trips.

Maybe I was confused, but it seemed like I wouldn't need to buy a separate tuner for XM. But if what I read is correct, all I should really have to worry about is the receiver and the antenna. So I'll have to do some more research about that.

As for the security console, that's awesome! I especially like that it uses the same area in the jeep and is the same basic design. The installation instructions sound pretty straight forward. Do you have any lessons learned about the install or are the instructions dead on? I'm thinking about just getting the rear console since that's the only important part for me.

Mtngal,
    Where did you decide to put your roady?

des'
    If you want portability with XM, then the Roady is the best way to go. What I saw just looking at photos, the normal XM tuners look like they need to be bolted down somewhere and aren't portable like the Roady is.

I just had the Roady more or less floating loose for the month I used it in the Unlimited. When I used it in the Sport at Camp Jeep I just stuck it in the glove box most of the time.

I had thought about buying a new mounting bracket (mine stayed on the Taco when I sold it) and putting it over the spot where the air bag switch would be if it were an SE. That seems to be a pretty convenient and reachable spot. I've seen photos of people who mount it on the header above the windshield and there's always the tray on the top of the dash (I personally don't like any of those options).

The only question I have, and I don't have the answer is this - the XM ready radios that are hooked up to tuners (from what I understand) have the controls for XM on the radio itself and the channels etc. show on the radio's display. If you were to use one of them with a Roady, would you still control it through the radio or through the Roady, which has its own controls?

I used a seat cushion this morning to raise me up, and I loved it. If my other half doesn't mind the extra height I'm going to definitely get blocks. It is SO much better! Jeep - that is the one thing that I think is worse on the newer vehicles - bring back the higher seats!
    With XM you have 3 options:

1 - traditional - Head unit + external XM tuner + antenna.

My BMW uses this setup to go to the BMW head unit. Since my head unit was not XM ready, I used Alpine's RF modulator unit mounted in the dash. You cannot see it at all. We wanted the factory head unit to be used.

2 - Alpine Head unit with integrated tuner + antenna.

This is what my TJ will be doing and the method mtngal used.

3 - Portable XM setup, like the Roady2. This will let you move it between cars easily. This is what mtngal used prior to her new head unit installation.

There is a new setup coming out that lets you carry your XM with you, like a Walkman. This comes out in December I think, but it also comes with (or has available) a connection kit for your car. This would give you the ultimate portability!

If you go with a tuner like the Roady, moving between vehicles will be easy. But if you use a larger tuner meant for permanent installation, THAT will be a bit tougher to move between cars. :)

Hope that clears that up.

As for the console, it was a challenge for part of it. I had a stereo shop install the subwoofer with dynamat all around the inside of the sub casing to improve bass response. So I had the rear part already in, but not bolted down. I would highly recommend removing at least the passenger seat (I would remove the driver seat too, but you have the seat belt sensor to contend with. You will need to drill some holes in your floorboard, so you will need a second person when it comes to bolting things in.

Be ready for a few scratches on your arm, but it can be done. The instructions cover different Jeep types (TJ,YJ), so be sure that you read through it a couple of times. You will have extra parts afterwards since some are meant for TJ and some are meant for YJ!

-Paul
    My Roady2 is mounted in the first cup holder. Belkin makes a cup holder adapter that fits perfectly. I like the spot because it's easily reachable and not very noticeable from the outside.
    Mtngal,
    The instruction manual for my head unit (XM ready), makes it seem like I would be able to control the XM receiver through the head unit. So I guess I could basically store the Roady somewhere and control it from the head unit; kind of like a remote unit. So if that's definitely the case, I might just stick it in my glove compartment and run the wires there and out of the way. Running the antenna connector, the line to the aux connection on the radio, and the power cord to that position shouldn't be too difficult. But we'll see.

Erickpl,
    Yeah, I would definitely go with the Roady set up. Hopefully I can put it in the glove compartment so that even though you can't see it, I can still remove it without too much complication.
    I really like the rear console. It sounds like the biggest thing would be taking the seat out. Hopefully it's as intuitive as it looks.

Keats,
    Maybe you could answer mine and mtngal's question. Does your Roady plug directly into your head unit, or does it go first to an FM modulator? I don't think I'll be able to put it in my cup holder because right now I've got: change in there, my cell phone, and the occasional cup has to make it there every once in a while. But I'm leaning towards putting it all in my glove compartment and controling it from the face of my radio.

des'
    there is another Red Unlimited in town!

I saw it ahead of me yesterday and was running about 20 miles over the speed limit trying to catch up,,but it turned before i could.

I've also seen a khaki one

jeff

the dealership has a black on their lot,,,but if the the sales people there continue to talk down about wranglers, and that cherokees are more bang for the buck,, they may sit on it for a while or wind up swapping it out for something else with another dealer the way they did last year. (no,, i'm still not over the attitude they took with me, can you tell?)
    Shoulda turned where that guy turned. I have been known to track down other Jeep owners and strike up conversations. It's just part of the "Jeep Thing."

That's how I got to know a guy who turned out to be one of my best Jeep Buds. I followed him to work. :)

Tom

i was already running late for my appointments, or i would have chased them down.

I'm getting more and more of the wrangler owners in Quincy to wave back when i wave, there are even a couple that wave first now, but none did 2 months ago.

i was in Naperville (largest chicago burb) a couple weeks ago,, one,, only one! waved back, i must have waved at 25 jeeps that weekend.
    be afraid.. he'll get you addicted...

hehe

-Paul
    and its not like i can hide Nicole under the bushes by someone's garage window!!

I can see the headlines now

Quincy Jeep Stalker narrowly escapes police after leading them on 2 hour 3 mph chase, through ditches, over logs & rocks. During the chase, all the departments cars and motorcycles were disabled within the first 50 yards (no pun intended) officers proceeded on foot. Do not attempt to apprehend personally call professions. He is reportedly armed with a strap, shackles, hooks (front and rear) and a winch.

jeff
    LOL! And he was finally apprehended by Glen, gman1259, who finally tracked him down in his own Wrangler...
    Desno,

Well, mine is the Roady2 that has the FM Modulator built in the unit, but I couldn't find a clear station to broadcast from, so I bought I PIE adaptor that plugs into the CD Changer control on the back of the stock radio. From the PIE adaptor I connect to the Roady2. So, to answer your question, yes, it's plugged into my stereo. *lol*
    I'm at about 6000 miles, switched over to mobil 1, i know i didn't run a whole tank through it for a good test, so my figures aren't going to be right on,, but i have never had anything near 19 before, I have been getting 18 with hwy only miles.

I drove ~ 80 miles on 2 lane highway and 25 in town yesterday, calculated out to be 18.75 mpg.

I'll let you know when a get a chance to check a full tank / or 2.

jeff

I just love math so much,, can't get enough of it at work so i have to find reasons to do some at home.

assuming i'm getting 19 mpg now vs 18
    3000 mile interval on oil changes
    I'm saving 8 gallons of gas
    @ $2/gallon

$16 savings on fuel just for switching oil.
    enough to offset the added cost of Mobil 1.

bump the interval up to 5000 miles
    it saves 14 gallons of gas / $28
    enough to pay for a mobil 1 filter & some beer too!!
    It's going to be tough to prove cause and effect in your case, since the engine is still breaking in. You could expect some improvement in gas mileage as the engine gets broken in.

I do believe some, or maybe even all, of the improvement you have seen is due to Mobil 1, based on my experience with it in my 94 Z28.

Years ago, I had a 94 Z28 that had some lifter noise on cold starts. The car had around 40K miles on it when I got it, if I remember correctly. I was a nut in those days about keeping track of gas mileage. I would check gas mileage EVERY tank.

I had owned the car for several months, so I had a good, accurate history of gas mileage, and it was right at 20 MPG. I continued checking every tank after switching to Mobil 1, and I gained 1 MPG for a 5% improvement in gas mileage.

What's even more important is that the lifter noise disappeared almost completely with the Mobil 1, and the little noise it did make stopped much sooner than it did with conventional oil.

Tom

We switched to Mobil 1 last oil change also (6200 miles, I think). I've been keeping track of the gas mileage but haven't seen much difference other than it seems to be more consistent. I think that is more a factor of the engine being broken in more than the oil. Mileage (other than the tank when we were off-roading, which was 14 mpg!) is running 17 plus and 18 plus mpg. When it was new I had a couple of tanks that were over 19, but that was probably going downhill with a tail wind. Tomorrow's fill-up will be interesting - it was quite windy tonight.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    glad to hear it, Tom!

I was wondering if you were still going strong.

-Dan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of these in my garage would nicely match the 1949 Jeep Truck front end hanging over my garage door. :-)

Detroit Concept Truck for Jeep

Steve, Host
    Pretty cool! I like it!
    IFS or solid axles? :)

It looks like like AEV's Brute truck, but modernized. Wonder if that was their inspiration and drew on the longer chassis of the Unlimited (but redesigned for added strength).

Sure looks appealing though! It'd be a perfect vehicle for a diesel. :)

-Paul
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Paul... 2 solid axles, passenger side pumpkin. Look closer at the pic. Detroit Auto Show is gonna be FUN this year. :-) I can't wait to go! And it does have a diesel. It's the 2.8L CRD from the Liberty. I think we're looking at another '07 Wrangler teaser. This looks more "mature" than the Rescue ever did.
    I think you are right... this looks a LOT more public / production ready. I'd be curious to see how the interior looks - I find that is a REAL good indicator of how close it is. If it looks real, it's close. If it looks like the Jetson's car, then it is still a ways off...

-Paul
    I really like this one - I wasn't crazy about the Rescue. Too bad they are introducing it at the Detroit auto show - IIRC it is something like a week after the LA auto show, so I'll miss it. If it looks as good in person as the photo, and if they could sell that diesel in California, I know what our next vehicle would be!
    Nice pics, but your Jeep wasn't dirty enough

-Paul
    "Nice pics, but your Jeep wasn't dirty enough"

You should have seen the back window when we got home! Actually, we've had rain which settled all the dust down. It's been very sunny since, which dried out any standing water, but not enough to kick up dust. There's been some wind which blew any smog/haze or whatever away so it has been perfect 'wheeling and sightseeing weather.

If anyone is interested in seeing what SoCal looked like this past Sunday (my 'wheeling trip to Cuyama Peak), they are at: http://community.webshots.com/album/219225529PBYpqi .
    It turns out that my 1999 Sahara's exhaust manifold crack is in a spot we can't reach with the welder, so I decided to go ahead and get the Banks Torque Tube header. Quadratec sold it to me for $399.95 including shipping. So my motorcycle purchase plans get postponed AGAIN. I can't really complain too much; I've had my TJ for 2.5 years and this will be my first major repair. So now we'll see if the newly updated Banks header will resist the cracking demon...
    Anybody know of a good exhaust setup for a 2.5L engine?

-Paul
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    The fever to buy a jeep comes a goes and right now I have it! A couple questions for anyone who can help:

1) Will a golf bag fit in the back of an unlimited (I have not driven one as that will only make the fever worse)

2) From reading on this board it sounds like the wrangler is getting redesigned in 2007 - is this true? Links or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jeff (soon to be a jeep owner)
    Jeff:

I guess you have a different strain of Wrangler Fever than I had, since you say yours comes and goes. Mine came, stayed, and got worse. :)

The only cure for the Wrangler Fever I had was to get one.

Not sure about the golf club question, but go test drive one and find out! Don't be a chicken. If that test drive convinces you to get one, then it was meant to be. If the test drive tells you that the Wrangler is not for you, then you will know better than to buy one.

Hope you end up getting the vehicle that you will be most happy with. If it turns out to be a Jeep, then COOL!

Tom

My grandma bought me a warn snatch block for my birthday,

I had to explain to her what it was, but she was happy it was something i really wanted.

jeff
    I would think that you could make a golf bag fit in the back of an Unlimited one way or another. I put 2 large gym bags and 2 small coolers (lunch pail sized) in the back of our Unlimited without folding the seat forward.

I'm not sure the clubs would lay flat sideways, so if you wanted to lay them flat you would have tumble the back seat forward (or remove it). I would guess they would fit upright. If you did this, then I would recommend getting a hard top or making sure you don't mind messing with the back window. There is a bar at the bottom of the back window that is sort of a pain to manipulate if you want full access to the back. The hard top's back window has hydraulic lifts and all you have to do is lift it up.

The best way to see if it would fit is to take your clubs with you when you go look at one.