Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Probably end of March - job 1 was early January and it typically takes about 2 months for vehicles to reach the dealerships.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    My friend bought an Elantra Touring a couple months ago, and boy, is she sorry. I loved the idea of that car, myself, but my god. It rides rougher than any car I've ever been in, and I started driving old cars in the early 1970s. You literally fly out of your seat going over wavy pavement or bumps that my stupid Kia Sportage glides smoothly over.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Too bad she didn't test drive it on all kinds of roads before buying it.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited February 2011
    I've read a lot of Elantra reviews and none really had a major problem with ride in comparison to other compact cars. Maybe people downsizing are noticing it more.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2011
    hatchback in 5-speeds, painted 16" wheels and it came out to around $20,800 from the Car and Driver link. That with the Goldfinger color. Includes a sport tuning package and stiffened suspension. Here's a red SE hatchback with the sport package.

2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback, sport-tuned with 16" alloys

You can get a 5-speed stick with the SE model!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    The review at

http://www.cars.com/ford/focus/2012/reviews/?revid=56889

claims that the availability of a sport suspension on the SE is a mistake. Not sure who's right about this though I hope they get this sorted out.
    edited February 2011
    I've read multiple reviews panning Ford's decision to place the manumatic shift buttons on the shift knob rather than use steering wheel mounted paddles.

To those of you who drive cars with a manumatic feature, I'm wondering: how often do you guys/gals actually use this feature?

I can shift by pushing the shift knob forward and backward in my Mazda5, but I don't think I've actually used it once since getting the car almost two years ago. Granted, I'm a tamer driver now than I was five years ago. But in most cases, if I need the extra juice, I just stomp the pedal and let the auto shift down naturally.
    wow, now I want to know about the SE tuned suspension availability. Hate ta say it but Ford is probably not gonna include a fancy suspension on the SE model. But I'd still consider that model because the stick is available.

Then again, like you, for family reasons (i.e., son can't drive stick shift) I'll probably just go Titanium in gold, anyway, and enjoy the taught suspension in one of those.

On our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS we have paddle shifters, 6 forward "gears" and 6 minus "gears." I use them about 5% of the time I drive is the answer to that. Ford putting the "shifter" on the gearknob is good planning, in my view. Just learn where it is and it'll be safer to have it there. I have gotten used to using my paddle shifters on our Lancer GTS, too, and they're very safe to use, too.

Long story short, it's no deal-breaker by any stretch. I might just go titanium with the 6-speed automatic.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Ditto, have never used this feature in our M3...never even thought about it actually.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Don't turn to the dark side.

Teach your son to use a stick shift.

My son was hesitant at first, but loves it now.

Wish ford had the stick available on more models (this is supposed to be a sporty vehicle after all) - wouldn't cost them a dime as the you don't have to re-certify different models of the same vehicle.
    edited February 2011
    Don't turn to the dark side.

Teach your son to use a stick shift.

My son was hesitant at first, but loves it now.

I won't buy until 2013 so I do have time to train him, indeed, and we may go that route.

edited February 2011
    the 2012 Focus 18" wheel and tire. Nice looking.

Perfect!

2012 Ford Focus sedan

Johnny...a couple of your friends have come over and they wanna play!

I'm gonna take a serious look in 2013 for one of these.

Those are sharp, but I wonder what the ride will be like with those? They almost look too big for the car. Although I know a lot of folks like that "big wheel" look.

Also I wonder what the replacement cost will be on those 18" tires?

Anyone else remember when 13" wheels were standard on compacts? Yes, I know, I am dating myself.
    exactly. That is why I will think of going with a SE '12 or '13 Focus hatchback with the 16" tires. A lot more affordable to replace the tires. And, you can get an SE hatchback with the 5-speed standard transmission, too. You can't get a top of the line Titanium with a stick.

Only the "dual-clutch" DSG automatic. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, though, either.

I agree; I'm not sure I'd willing to take the handling over the tradeoff in ride quality. I'm pretty surprised that Ford is offering such an aggressive wheel package. Shows how the times are changing.

I feel the sedan in the pic needs to be lowered or something. The front wheel well seems especially noticeable, although the tires already look like they're pretty low profile.
    edited February 2011
    2012 Ford Focus sedan with upgraded 18" wheels and tires

This is actually lookin' hotter than Hades to me right now, even with this color. I am going to research this car fully-completely. It might even leapfrog the 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS for a replacement for our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I was thinking I didn't like the sedan, but then I saw this picture and the sedan does look great to me.

I mean, look at that. Crikey! Hot! :shades:

It's that racing-inspired front end design with the sharp vertical lines on the side that I love. Both the hatch and sedan are currently neck and neck in the race for me. I've decided the Fiesta is just too small for us, but this would be just right. Now it's honing in on options packages and trying to decide hatch or sedan. I've got two years to decide so that shouldn't be tough. :)

Love the enthusiasm but please don't go overboard with the pics and postings like you did when you fell in love with the Kizashi. Keep in mind that there are going to be other new roll outs of current compacts before you're ready to buy in 2013. Civic and Corolla for example and Mazda is going to be doing some pretty neat stuff with diesels it sounds like so the Mazda3 could be up for major body and powertrain revisions too.

Just lots going on in this segment presently and in the near future. Would be hard to completely decide on what car I am going to buy two years from now.

I do really, really like the new Focus though and think it's a step above the current crop of compacts as an overall package.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I agree. Considering that most of us drive on less than perfect roads, 16" wheels are about right for a car of this size.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The ride quality with 18" rims can't be good. With the roads we have here in the midwest? No thanks, the 16" rims and 55 series rubber will work fine.

I got to see an SEL hatch at the local auto show last weekend and it looked very sharp inside and out. It had 17" rims and 50 series rubber which I would forgo and stick with the standard 16 inchers.

One of my first cars was a 1979 Honda Civic with 12" rims! Times are a changin'!
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    a true manual mode would require a clutch pedal and an "H-Pattern" shifter to sprout in their proper locations every time the "Manual Mode" option is enabled

W/ clutch pedal or not, "manually selecting gears" means neutral should also be available anytime! I wonder if BMW or Porsche offers this feature on their DSG. Does the "launch-control" mode do that?
    Focus III
    "As you’d expect, the Ford’s chassis shines the brightest. The electrically assisted steering is beautifully weighted and responds instantly, while the torque vectoring system ensures strong front-end grip. But it’s the poise and balance that really impress, allowing the car to flow through corners. Adding to its appeal are a precise gearshift and progressive brakes. Only the unyielding low-speed ride of the sporty Zetec disappoints."l

Golf VI
    "The lowered sports suspension is designed to boost efficiency, and affects comfort, as the BlueMotion doesn’t ride with the smoothness and fluency of ordinary models. If anything, though, it’s more compliant than the stiff set-up of the Focus Zetec at low speeds.

Up the pace and the VW trails – the Ford rides well at higher speeds and is more capable and enjoyable to drive. The Golf is safe and sure-footed, but doesn’t have the Focus’ dynamic polish or feedback.

While the major controls are well weighted, they all feel a bit more detached than in the blue oval model. However, in everyday driving, the differences are small, and the Golf is more capable and rewarding than the lacklustre Vauxhall."

New Vauxhall Astra (Chevy Cruze equivalent)
    "Although the steering is positive and precise, there’s a disconcerting lack of feedback through the rim.

Grip is plentiful, but the chassis cannot match the agility, responsiveness and poise of the Focus, and the Golf feels more composed. As a result, it rarely inspires the confidence or pure ‘drive me’ enthusiasm of its rivals.

It’s not all bad news, though, as the supple suspension delivers a comfortable ride and, aside from a fraction more wind noise than the Focus at motorway speeds, refinement is impressive."

The Golf maybe be better overall, but as the driver's car?
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/262162/new_ford_focus_vs_riva- - - ls.html
    edited February 2011
    Despite being 6-ft wide (fat) like the '06 Lexus LS430, the Focus III in the LA Autoshow has no rear leg room behind the front passenger seat, contrary to the sample I saw about a year prior at a focus group.

The new Jetta has excessive leg room my 5'11 frame doesn't need, but the rear seat cushion is uncomfortably low just like its driver's door armrest.

Unlike the Rabbit V, the current Golf VI has front passenger seat-height adjustment even on the 3-dr. This mean all Golf's now have enough rear leg room for me.

Only expensive compacts are "suppose" to have no rear leg room, such as IS250, A3, Mini Cooper, & WRX (right side only). I guess the Focus III belongs to this category?

But what bothers me is that even sedans & coupes today are lacking the "lower-right corner" rear visibility for lane-change/passing (to the right). That was the main reason I chose the '05-07 Focus ST 2.3 sedan over the Mazda3 2.3 sedan. The Mazda3's nervous ride can be calmed down with Gabriel shocks, but the blind rear glass? Forget it.

The Focus III doesn't cut it:
    http://chrisescars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2012-Ford-Focus-Sedan-2.jpg

& neither does the foreign Focus II sedan when the rear headrest blocked off the lower right-side corner:
    http://news.u-car.com.tw/news-images/8001-9000/8501/nc-20081201-97306.jpg

Today, only the Lancer sedan w/o the elevated rear spoiler saved the day:
    http://furiouscar.com/wp-content/uploads/Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-MR-Rear-Cen- - - - - - - - - ter-View.jpg

But here's a surprise from the near future. Even this compact hatchback can do it! (Wow...)
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?id=424504
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=0&id=424501
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Uhhh, what? :confuse:
    edited February 2011
    Don't you hated when the DSG does not let you go into the neutral mode from time to time such as when the car is slipping, or simply for fee-wheeling coast down like a bicycle?
    edited February 2011

more than likely painted alloys fresh from the Fo-Mo-Co factory? I'd say they probably are. If they wear sooner than usual that might be a concern but the inland Pacific Northwest (the Idaho Panhandle where I live) is not particularly rough on car paint. Wet and snowy and icy, though people throw generous amounts of rock salt down because of long winters here.

I would think a person if concerned could stave off early "painted alloy wear down" concerns by applying a wax of some sort to their Fo-Mo-Co (or Chrysler and Chevy, insert brand name here) alloys.

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Keep in mind that there are going to be other new roll outs of current compacts before you're ready to buy in 2013. Civic and Corolla for example and Mazda is going to be doing some pretty neat stuff with diesels it sounds like so the Mazda3 could be up for major body and powertrain revisions too.
    "

Those are pretty bad examples if you ask me. The Civic has been shown now and it's a total bore. No reason to believe the Corolla will be any different. Those two may somehow beat the Focus, Cruze, etc. on FE but that's where it ends IMO. As for the next Mazda3, Mazda is on a roll with design these days but unfortunately, like Honda, it's in the wrong direction. Their powertrains may turn out to be good but I doubt that will get more people to buy them.

"Just lots going on in this segment presently and in the near future. Would be hard to completely decide on what car I am going to buy two years from now.
    "

If gas is $5 a gallon in two years I can see your point. Based on recent designs I can't see any of your examples taking away his enthusiasm for the new Focus.
    edited February 2011
    Two or three years ago nobody would have thought the Focus would be this good either. I would tend to agree with you that it may be a long shot that a couple of these could surpass what Ford has done in the Focus. However, you know nothing more than I do about future drivetrains/styles of these cars. The Forte will probably be due for some major changes by then as well and who knows what Kia will come up with. If you want to believe that the Focus will be the only car worth buying in this group that is certainly your perogative. I just try to keep an open mind.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    edited February 2011
    I do...I do! Had those on my 1976 Opel...the worst car ever built! it was the 1st year as Opel was sold to a Japanese company & it truly was an awful ride. Got it used in mid '77 & it nickel & dimed me to death until I went out & bought a different car. Pissed my folks off so much they wouldn't loan me the $2500.00 I needed. Ended up financing through the seller at a 19% interest rate...had just started my career with the postal service & had almost no credit. Funny thing was my folks were millionaires & balked at lending me the $...it turned out this one incident forever changed our relationship & we never rectified it before their death's. When we got married, the 1st thing we did was pay the note off as my bride told me, "we don't finance anything"...except the mortgage!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited February 2011
    Had those on my 1976 Opel...the worst car ever built! it was the 1st year as Opel was sold to a Japanese company & it truly was an awful ride.

The 1976 Chevette & the 1976 (Buick) Opel built by Japanese truck company Isuzu, which continued w/ the stylish Piazza (Impulse), are all the same old Opel-designed RWD compact. I remember how uncomfortable it rides. Even a 1971 Super Beetle w/ the more advanced MacPherson struts can do better. Only a Pinto can do worse.
    The Forte will probably be due for some major changes by then as well and who knows what Kia will come up with.

I already saw it! The tail lights look very much like the new Focus III sedan's. Rest of the car is quite gorgeous, & seems to be sharing the same platform as the new Elantra. But, remember, beauty is only skin deep. Have you seen a Korean car w/ good steering feel???
    Have you seen a Korean car w/ good steering feel???

Good is in the eye of the beholder. I dare say that 95% of the people buying them would say they have good(not great) steering feel or they probably wouldn't buy them. I don't particular like their iteration of EPS but it is fairly new and I would expect both that and their handling to improve over time. But 2012 Focus, from what I read, seems to have the best combo of ride and handling. Mazda3 probably handles better but it has a pretty stiff ride.

My first car, a 2dr 1960 Ford Falcon w/ 3spd stick on the column had 13" rims as did my 3rd car, a 2dr 1963 Tempest 2sp auto. It was 14" and upwards from then on until today where I have 17" on all 3 of my current rides, a midsize car, a full size p/u and a midsize SUV.
    Anyone else remember when 13" wheels were standard on compacts? Yes, I know, I am dating myself.

Lemmi tell ya, the original Golf GTI from the '70's had 13" in Europe, even some of the '84 Mk1 Jetta GLI 1.8 here in the U.S. & they can make almost all of today's cars' steering feel numb by comparison!
    edited February 2011
    When it was pouring several weeks ago here in S California, I was driving my '07 Focus ST cruising on the fwy confidently & all relaxing w/ just "a finger & thumb on the steering wheel rim" at 70mph, faster than anyone else including a Porsche 911, b/c my hand could sense how much my tires are gripping the road! I still remember seeing this poor girl in her new C-class sedan having both hands grabbing tightly & nervously on her steering wheel crawling at much slower speed than my $15k German-engineered Focus ST w/ pure hydraulic pwr steering.

I remember even the Mazda RX-8 w/ EPS steers confidently,
    "It’s wonderful around corners. There’s no slack in the feelsome steering, gearchange or pedals and you can feel every bit of g-force build through those big wheels. There’s no need to fear turning the heavy-handed stability control off – the RX-8 is so well balanced and predictable that you can confidently exploit its limits. "
    more so than the BMW 1-series:
    " It’s neat, crisp and controllable, although the chassis isn’t as talkative as the Mazda’s."
    "I don't particular like their iteration of EPS but it is fairly new and I would expect both that and their handling to improve over time."

We've been saying that for a long time about Hyundai/Kia now. Do you really think it will ever come true? They are simply not going to be able to compete on all levels and maintain their low costs. However I will say that their steering and handling is about the only thing they do not compete well with right now so who knows.

I would still take the Focus or the 3 over anything Hyundai/Kia will put out in the next 2 years based on their histories if nothing else.
    edited February 2011
    We've been wondering for a long time when a great Focus would come along too. Like I said, I like to keep an open mind. Right now Focus appears to be best. Two years from now, who knows. At the rate the Korean twins have been improving they might challenge more. Mazda is coming up with a lot of knew powertrains including diesels and start/stop tech. Who knows, even Mopar could come out with something special. I really believe with gas prices rising and mindsets changing accordingly, this segment is going to be very competitive quickly.

Who knows what Corolla will be like but I too have severe reservations. It is still their top selling car the way it is so why spend a lot of money changing it for enthusiusts when they probably won't even look at it anyway. It hasn't been enthusiusts buying it. Sometimes we car and driving lovers forget that we are in the minority and that most people just want economical, reliable transportation...not a corner cutter. I know sales don't equate to "good car" but sales do influence what is offered.
    Have you driven the new Elantra? I haven't yet, but the reviews I've read indicate its handling is quite good. But I haven't driven a 2012 Focus yet either (who in the USA has??) so I can't make a direct comparison.
    I agree with backy. The Sonata cracked the 2011 Car and Driver 10 best. Would anyone have guessed that a Korean car would be on the C&D 10 best a few years ago? I don't see why they can't do a similar job on the Elantra.

And I wouldn't count out Honda and Toyota (this is in response to baggs). Honda is the king of making understated but fun cars. Toyota may simply make an appliance, but there's a big market for people shopping for appliances on wheels and you can be sure that at a minimum, Toyota will get the basics right.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2011
    I had a new (2,000 miles on odo) 2010 Forte as a loaner vehicle for about a week last Summer while my wifes truck was in the shop. I think it is an impressive car from a value stand point. It has a much better warrantee than Corolla and it is subjectively a step up appearance wise inside and out. I tried to take an assessment of this Kia against my '04 Focus ZTS (100 K on odo). This exercise gave me a new appreciation for my Focus. Indeed the Kia had some design features on the inside which had some comfort advantages and apppeared to be larger dimensionally than my ride. But my old car was more satisfying to drive because it had superior dynamics even though everthing is original in the chasis and steering ( I did have the power steering flushed at 60 k )
    I purchased my 04 Focus in Nov. 03. mostly based on a Test Drive that the dealer insisted that I take, when we were considering purchasing a small truck.
    I am looking forward to driving the 2012 when the arrive this Spring. This market segment is hot right now and getting hotter as gasoline prices become so unstable. Prices for a model equiped the way I like it might approach a Base Level Mustang with almost twice the horse power. It will be tough to decide because I always wanted that American Icon
    But I haven't driven a 2012 Focus yet either (who in the USA has??)

I know you probably mean regular consumers but I'm basing my first impression of the new Focus drive on auto writers. I've seen many first drives and reviews of the new Focus and they indicate the Focus handles and has better feedback than the rest of the segment. Obviously I haven't driven one but many of those same reviewers recently reviewed the Elantra too so they have a fresh comparison to go by.
    Prices for a model equiped the way I like it might approach a Base Level Mustang with almost twice the horse power. It will be tough to decide because I always wanted that American Icon

I hear you. I had a 1968 Mustang 2dr, 289 V8 with the a 3 speed stick on the floor(used to be called that as versus column) that I bought after my first stint in the military. I had been tempted by the new 2011 Mustang as well but after sitting in it and really thinking about driving it on a daily basis it just wasn't a good fit to my life. Plus living in Chicago area even with snows and traction control there are many winter days where driving it would be too much of an adventure if you know what I mean.
    I did read a review by Automobile Magazine (March I think) which to my knowledge is the first comparo of the new Focus and Elantra. They seemed impressed by both cars and in fact anointed them the top 2 cars in the class.
    Was that a comparo between just those two cars? I'll have to find it. From what I've read and after sitting in both I would tend to agree that they seem to have the most pluses and fewest minuses of the bunch.
  • thandamilkthandamilk Member Posts: 18
    Fellow Edmunders (ites?)

Been in the market for a sub compact lease and almost settled on a Cruze before the deal fell through. Given am already at the end of Feb and not in a tearing hurry to get equipped with a car, am happy to wait for the Focus 2012 to be available at dealerships (April?) as it sounds like a winner.

Wondering what you think Ford's strategy would be as far leasing is concerned - do you think I can expect some aggressive deals (with low MF and high RV) early on? The biggest thing am concerned about is whether banks would offer higher RV on the Focus 2012 taking note of the strides Ford has taken over the past few years.

Given these are likely going to fly off the dealerships, am hesitant about whether I would find reasonable lease deals during Focus 2012's early availability. Your thoughts?

Cheers.

Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!

Ummmm.

The girls that sing that song really do the Hot! Hot! thing accurate and fast, was it Sista Sledge that did that song? Look at the hatch in silver. That's what's caught me, is the European-inspired looks of the 2012 Ford Focus.

I want to see more consumer driving views of this car, and it's not out yet. I read mid-February it will be in dealer lots. Hey, it's February 23, 2011, people! Anybody seen a '12 Ford Focus in a dealer lot yet? :D

All good points on the competition guys and gals but they're off topic in relation to the start of the conversation. The question is will the OP's current choice of the Focus be swayed by a competing model in the next two years? I still say no because:

1. The new Elantra is out and the OP picked the Focus.
    2. The new Civic has been unveiled and still the OP picked the Focus. It's just a refresh, and a bad one, anyway.
    3. We all know the Corolla will be the same old melba toast car with a pointier nose. yeah, it'll still sell and we'll all continue to wonder why. :sick:
    4. The next Forte will probably be a refresh because I doubt Hyundai/Kia is now in the business of developing new platforms every 4 years (which is shared by the new Elantra BTW).
    5. The Mazda3 is the wildcard to me here. It could at least sway me from the Focus if Mazda gets back into the game with their styling but I just don't see it happening based on their showcars. The new Mazda5 is probably a good indication of what the 3 will look like soon.
    6. Does Mopar even make a small car anymore?
    7. Oh, almost forgot about the Cruze. Point proven for that one then. :P

I'll keep an open mind as the years go by too but I'm not seeing anything great on the horizon that would change the OP's mind.
    edited February 2011
    As far as the OP goes, you assume he has done a solid comparison against those other cars. I don't. It's possible he has but I try not to assume things. He may just not like the looks of the others which is a totally subjective matter.

I would probably agree that the Corolla will not challenge but again, do "we all know"? No, we don't. We can guess like you but we don't know.

Regarding Forte, I don't believe the only way you can drastically improve a car is by completely changing platforms. What if they substantially upgraded the suspension/handling and put in the 2.0T with 270+ hp. Probably would create a lot of excitement along with tweaks to the exterior and interior. Not a whole new platform but a lot different car. I'm not suggesting it would happen but, again, an open mind.

Glad you agree on the possibilities that Mazda3 may present in the near future.

Like it or not, Mopar is doing some good things right now with their new bosses from Fiat. Things are changing and Fiat has said they will introduce a new compact/subcompact models to Mopar.....no timetable though. I wish them the best as competition is a good thing.

Nothing wrong with the Cruze. Nice interior, decent looking and handles well, good mpg. Not quite as many pluses as the Focus IMO but still a nice car that could be made better given two years time.

As far as knowing whether the OP will change his mind over the next two years? I'll let someone with a crystal ball do that.

I will give you this though, IMO it is better than even odds that no better compact car will be available within the next couple of years.
  • leeswleesw Member Posts: 2
    CD’s short-take road test on the 2012 Focus is up. Their tests showed the 0-60 is 7.6 seconds with the automatic, which is darn good for a car that gets 37 mpg. I think unheard of for the C-segment. CD seems only mildly warm on the Focus, yet they raved over the current Mazda 3, which the Focus meets or exceeds in almost every category. Go figure.
    "As far as the OP goes, you assume he has done a solid comparison against those other cars. I don't."

I don't either. The OP said the Focus was his/her choice and no assumptions are necessary as that is a plain fact. The rest of my post did contain my assumptions on why the OP may have come to that decision. Since those are my opinion they really have nothing to do with the fact that the OP chose the Focus already. I was just providing food for thought.

"Regarding Forte, I don't believe the only way you can drastically improve a car is by completely changing platforms. "

I agree with you and Kia could do something drastic to make it an excellent car out of it. One thing keeps me from believing that will happen though. Hyundai/Kia still like the role of the bargain, bang-for-the-buck brands and it's getting harder for them to do that. For example, the new Elantra is a really nice car I have to admit. But A/C is an option on the base model (one of the two available trims). Really? In 2011 A/C is optional? Their cost cutting methods are getting more deperate so they can keep the quality of everything else on par with the competition and still keep prices down. An Elantra Limited is nearly identical in price to a 2012 focus SEL sedan all things being just about equal wiht features and specs.

Upping the game would hurt the bargain pricing they like to offer and I just don't see it happening in two years.

"He may just not like the looks of the others which is a totally subjective matter. "

Subjective, but totally relevent. However that is the one thing that does change through the years and is probalby the one thing that could make someone change their mind on what to buy over time especially if it is their only criteria for choosing.

"Like it or not, Mopar is doing some good things right now with their new bosses from Fiat."

I agree with you there. They still have too many "new" models that are the same old same old with new interiors though. A compact Fiat would probably be a worthy adversary to the Focus and its like given their European heritage.

"Nothing wrong with the Cruze. Nice interior, decent looking and handles well, good mpg. Not quite as many pluses as the Focus IMO but still a nice car that could be made better given two years time. "

There's also nothing really right about it either. It sits in the middle and knowing GM will stay there until it's time to change the name again. Cavalier, Cobalt, Cruze... The saga continues. Reminds me of Freestyle, Taurus X, Flex... (I currently drive a Flex BTW)

"As far as knowing whether the OP will change his mind over the next two years? I'll let someone with a crystal ball do that. "

That's one way to go about it. ;) I don't think anyone cares if the OP changes his/her mind but I can see how one would think that way. Obviously you and some others didn't and that's a valid argument too. I don't think it's right to say the OP should keep an open mind though because we don't know the criteria his/her choice was made on or what other factors may have been involved in the decision. Know what I mean?
    edited February 2011
    Is yours w/ the Mazda developed 2.3? That's the only 2.3 Focus available w/ auto tranny, which is also made by Mazda.

Think about it. Like the Mazda3, it's got the Control-blade German-designed platform coupled w/ reliable Japanese-designed drivetrain -- can't think of a better car out there b/c the Mazda3 rides rough.

I don't consider the new Focus as a small car anymore, not w/ that 6-ft overall width. Too bad the Fiesta got no multi-links.

The Mustang is no comparison -- it still got Pinto's rear suspension...

I'm gonna keep my excellent '07 Focus ST 2.3 stick for a very long time. The only thing I don't like about it is the smelly dashboard when exposed to sun or heater.