Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Much Is Brand Legacy Worth To You?

2»

Comments

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    You say your 4runner died. How did it die? What happened?
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah, cause of death would be really useful here.

We have an 00 Accord that we bought new. My oldest daughter drives it now with more than 200K on the clock. Now to some folks this car would be totaled if out ran out of gas but I'll likely be good for another timing belt on it and keep it rolling.

What constitutes death at this point probably varies a great deal from person to person.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    franmorr1966franmorr1966 Member Posts: 1
    Yep, I most definitely feel that status comes with an emblem and would choose a Caddy over a Chevy simply because it's a Cadillac! The symbol is beautiful and oozes status. But, don't think I'm completely shallow! I just purchased a GMC yesterday BUT if money were no object I'd have gone for the Caddy. :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Jeep plans to expand its line in the 2016 model year with an SUV that accommodates seven adults comfortably, Edmunds has learned.

The model, which is expected to carry the Grand Wagoneer name, will be aimed at current Jeep owners and SUV owners who still require seven-passenger seating but no longer need a full-size SUV."

Seven-Passenger Jeep Grand Wagoneer in the Works
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,689
    edited February 2013
    Seems to me that if you want an SUV that will seat seven adults in comfort, then you have no choice BUT to get a full-sized SUV! Last time I checked, stuff like the Tahoe, Expedition and their offshoots have a third row seat that's intended mainly for kids, and you really need a Suburban or the extended version of the Expedition, if you want an adult-sized third row.

What I'd like to see is for them to take the Ram, and turn it into an SUV. Heck, they could dust off the RamCharger name!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Not a bad idea. Stick a diesel in it - Sergio says the Wrangler will get one, so Dodge may as well offer one too.
  • Options
    "With so many car shopping and research websites and an overall improving inventory of vehicles, consumers often broaden their searches before making a choice. While nearly two-thirds of car buyers start out with a brand in mind, just one in five actually buy that brand, according to a 2012 Compete/Polk/TNS study."

Akerson wants GM to sell vehicles online (Detroit News)
  • Options
    "Younger buyers are living in a more crowded market than their parents, according to Rick Wainschel, vice president for automotive insights at AutoTrader.com. With more options available, they consider more brands, sometimes doubling the number of vehicles they are considering by the time they make a decision."

Online Help to Pick a Car and Make the Down Payment (NY Times)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wow, online begging! You don't even have to get cold hanging out on a street corner. :)
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,689
    "Younger buyers are living in a more crowded market than their parents, according to Rick Wainschel, vice president for automotive insights at AutoTrader.com."

In many respects, that is true. For instance, back in the 1970's, if you wanted a midsized car, you had plenty of nameplates to choose from, probably moreso than today. But, essentially it boiled down to a GM product, a Chrysler product, a Ford product, or if you wanted to be different, an AMC Matador. So, even though you had a wide array of body styles, nameplates, engines, colors, etc, it was still just four basic cars.

But today, in addition to GM, Ford, and Chrysler, we have the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda 6, Elantra, Optima, and probably one or two I'm missing.