Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    I personally don't know whether or not that's an accurate statement (re: many of us requiring off-road 4WD traction but NEVER go off-road), but I've always had a bad case of "Boyscout Syndrome"--that is to say I always tend to look at the worst-case scenario, and buy according to that. Overkill? Absolutely. But we do take our annual pilgrimage to OBX each year and do drive on the beach every day we're there. Off-roading was something I grew up with, our family enjoys it (even tho we only do it once a year) but few cross-overs on the market today would allow me to do that. My Subaru Outback does, but sadly my kids car seats are too large for it to be comfortable for everyone.

That's an interesting viewpoint about the "decline of the Explorer". Personally, I think it's a little more straight forward; I suspect it fell out of popularity because it filled a niche as a small-turned-mid-sized SUV until cross-overs came about. By then, there wasn't anything compelling enough to make people keep buying Explorers. The performance and gas mileage were crappy enough that people looking at that market segment for the room or towing capabilities just opted for the larger Expedition. Those who wanted better gas mileage and didn't need to go off-road likely looked towards the more efficient, more stylish more versatile cross over market. For whatever appeal Explorer brings to the current SUV/cross over market ...it doesn't bring enough of it.

The cross-over market right now--good, bad or otherwise--is really hot right now. Ford would be stupid not to jump on it by offering all its latest and greatest technologies to take advantage of this "boom". I think that effort is much more likely to generate sales rather than dumping next-gen engines and technology into aging SUV platforms which as a market segment has been losing steam over the last several years. And to be honest, do you really believe that a mere 250 ft/lbs of torque of the new V6 DFI motor is going to do anything spectacular in any of Ford's big, heavy non-cross over vehicles? Full size trucks and SUVs need big engines (or slightly smaller turbo/supercharged engines) to move them. Period.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    But we do take our annual pilgrimage to OBX each year and do drive on the beach every day we're there. Off-roading was something I grew up with, our family enjoys it (even tho we only do it once a year) but few cross-overs on the market today would allow me to do that.

Autoblog takes 2011 Explorer to Dubai sand dunes

Doesn't sound like the beach would be a problem. Notice they buried it up to the axles and still managed to get out without a tow.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "Cargo space is a primary concern for me because of all the crap I have to haul back and forth from my kids' colleges."

Just finished with all that. I think you'll probably find the Traverse ends up a bit bigger. However, you really need to think about usable space. I take a tape measure and check out 1) tailgate opening dimensions, 2) distance between wheels or seat clips (whichever are closer) and 3) measure the roof distance behind seat where you set it and top opening of tailgate (because they are usually sloped). These things are all going to really matter with the kind of stuff you'll be hauling because it goes from dorm to apartment. Honestly, no CUV is likely to be great. You may not like the image, but a minivan holds way more stuff. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and buy an SUV like Expedition or Tahoe. I'm cheap, so I went with a minivan (which is also easier getting into and out of the seats).
    Why wouldn't you just borrow a trailer or rent one 2 or 3 times a year?
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Absolutely minivans blow away CUVs and even large SUVs (except Expedition EL and Suburban) in terms of cargo space. No disputing that. But my wife drove one for 10 years and has proclaimed that she is done with them. So unless I want one as my daily driver....
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Because it would be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. And if you want to take that approach, why not just buy a sedan and rent a minivan twice a year? Bottom line is, if the Explorer isn't competitive on cargo space, then I have no reason to own one.
    "Why wouldn't you just borrow a trailer or rent one 2 or 3 times a year?"

Because you end up hauling them and their friends around and I don't particularly like driving at Interstate speeds dragging a trailer around, nor do I particularly like those U Haul trucks with 140K on the odometer that sound like they are about to fall apart.
    It was just a suggestion. There are other options also - hitch carriers, roof top carriers. If you need that much room then why not just get a full size Expedition or Suburban?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-evolution-suv-ford-093010,0,3141110.story

Some of my friends are going down to Kiener Plaza in St. Louis today to see it. Interestingly, the local tea party types are staging a "BUYcott" there, to urge people to consider buying the Explorer (in support of Ford not taking bailout money).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    A roof top carrier on an SUV..?? A FORD SUV that already has a known history of propensity for rollover..??

Hitch carriers "lift" the front wheels resulting in lowered directional control and drive traction, bad news, REALLY bad news, for the 2011 FWD or even the F/awd EXPLODER...!!
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    Wwest-

I'm sorry, what empirical data do you have about the 2011 Explorer rolling over? Or any of the aforementioned vehicles for that matter? Of are you referring to Firestone tire blow-outs?

Also, do you really think that 75 lbs (worst case) of tongue weight is going to lift the front end of any SUV of this size off the ground? Really?

Or are you making an outrageous statement just to inflame everyone here? Apologies, but it does warrant asking.
    edited October 2010
    ALLL SUV's have an extraordinary high center of gravity and Ford has proven they will take engineering "shortcuts" (lower the tire pressure) in this area so extra caution is adviseable.

Yes, ~75lbs of tongue weight might be just enough to "push" the F/R balance beyond the edge in certain situations. Remember this is NOW a FWD(***) vehicle, relying on front tire traction for BOTH drive torque and directional control.

*** To help alleviate the potential for loss of traction and therefore danger to life and limb via loss of directional control the rear drive coupling is pre-emptively engaged ONLY during low speed acceleration or when turning. To do otherwise, even with the newly adopted PTO cooling, would put so much stress on the driveline that components would fail prematurely as they have been on the Escape and Mariner.
    Let's just say that Willard (wwest) has some....ummm....interesting ideas on how cars work. Unfortunately nobody else in the real world agrees with him. I gave up trying to correct him - it doesn't work. Just ignore him.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    akirby is completely right. I came across wwest on another Edmunds forum. I ended up leaving due to all his trolling.

Please don't feed the troll. :lemon:
    When is this baby supposed to hit the showroom floors?
    According to the way it's being recieved over on FB it may never hit the showroom floors. Even if it does it may not be not in the current F/awd form. Explorer buyers, traditional Explorer buyers, are too well aware of the differences between F/awd and RWD/4WD to accept this level of change willingly.

While the majority of those buyers may NEVER take the vehicle off-road there is a great deal of mental comfort involved in driving a vehicle that is off-road capable, especially on adverse wintertime roadbeds.

Given the fall flat on the face sales efforts of the previous inceptions of "this" platform, the FreeStyle and Taurus X, one would think Ford would have know better than to think just re-badging a Taurus X as an Explorer would accomplish anything for those many still loyal Explorer fans.

But I suppose the use of all that FreeStyle and Taurus X tooling and manufacturing capability was just too good to pass up.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    All manufacturers engage in re-badging. In fact, Toyota and Honda re-badge and utilize the same platform more than any other car maker.

You sound like a disgruntled ex-Ford employee. Did Ford fire you recently?
    "..Did Ford fire you recently...?"

No, but I am in the process of flunking retirement, do you suppose that might be it...??
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    You sound like a disgruntled ex-Ford employee. Did Ford fire you recently?

Pretty please. Don't feed the troll. He will ruin this forum too.
    That's really enough conversation about other members. If you personally don't care for a member's posts, please kindly skip them instead of making accusations & personally-directed comments. They aren't helpful to the conversation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Meanwhile, lest everyone continue digressing, when does the 2011 hit dealer showrooms?
    Over on FB Ford seems to be saying that date is indeterminant at this time.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I spoke with a salesperson two weeks ago at my local Ford shop in Hillsboro TX and she claimed they would be here in three weeks. So this coming week is the time I am going to do a lot of drive-bys to see if they showed up. They have two 2011 Edges in stock. I am told the Explorers they are getting are a Limited and an XLT, but both are white and AWD. All I want is a base model, FWD, no options, Kona Blue. That'll be $26535 invoice after the current $1000 rebate listed here on Edmunds. If my local dealer can get one and get me a good price, I'll buy local. Otherwise we'll pop up to Dallas/Fort Worth or down to Killeen/Austin to get one. I have no problem driving a few hours to get the right truck at the right price.

For the money, I could also get a 7-seat V6 Highlander, 7-seat V6 Outlander XLS, 7-seat Hyundai Santa Fe, or for a little more money, an 8-seat Traverse LS. Also right above that at 30K-31K are a basic 7-passenger Pathfinder S FE+ or a base 4-Runner SR5 after adding the elusive third row seat option ($805 retail).

My wife and I have driven a Pathfinder (2007 model) extensively on a vacation as a rental from Enterprise and we were very happy with it. I have not driven either of the last generations of 4Runner (last I test drove was a 1998 model) and I have no experience with any of the smaller ones. We currently drive a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 318 V8 and 6-passenger seating. When we all go somewhere together, either my wife or I have to sit in the cargo area. We need a 7-seater vehicle. I'm about to add a third row to the Durango but my wife fell in love with the 2011 Explorer when it was featured in USA Today a couple months ago. I know the Pathfinder and 4Runner will be hard pressed to see the gas mileage numbers of the new Explorer, the Traverse, or any of the smaller SUV's (Outlander, Highlander, Santa Fe). We get about 19mpg mixed in the Durango due to my light right foot and the mostly highway driving we do out here in the sticks.

I do think the Explorer's new design is appropriate for our family. 2 adults, 5 kids, good gas mileage, and the Ford name. I'd be plenty happy with one. I always wondered why they didn't make the Edge a 7-seater. Now I know why.

I am very interested in seeing one in person, close up. I drive in snow and ice exactly none of the time, so I could care less about some poster's comments. But I am curious to know how it feels. Maybe the EcoBoost is worth waiting for in a base model? Maybe the V6 just feels better? Does it drive anything like an Edge or Flex? Maybe I'd be better off sticking the wifey in a 5-year old Freestyle and save the money for when the new model gets sorted out right? I've always been told, never buy a new car in the first year, but how new is this Explorer? Isn't it just an extended length Edge? Isn't it a restyled Taurus X or Freestyle? Mechanically, it's the same vehicle, right? The EcoBoost might be something to watch reliability-wise, but I'm sure the 3.5L is fine by now, right?
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I hope the ecoboost V6 gets offered for 2012.
    It's on the option list for the 2011 Explorers as "late availability" and I intend to wait until both are available for test driving before we buy. We're bringing all the kids, too. Salesperson can ride behind the third row for all I care. Car seats will go in, boosters will get a spot, wife and I get comfortable up front, and we'll test drive both fully weighed down. If the Turbo can keep up as well as the V6 (or better) then I'm more than happy to buy one with EcoBoost. Don't need to tow anything, and I'm not sure if the tow ratings will be higher or lower anyway. I would ASSUME lower but then again Ford is pushing this in the F-Series as well, so maybe it will get a good rating.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    A ford rep on facebook just told be it will not be an option. Where did you see it listed?
    You guys are confusing the 2.0L Ecoboost with the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Explorer gets the 2.0L Ecoboost early next year. There are no announced plans to offer the 3.5L Ecoboost yet.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Occupant, do you think the explorer will have usable cargo space behind the 3rd row? I know that most of the "mid size" SUVs (pilot, highlander) have very little space left with the 3rd row up. So, how do you actually travel with the whole family if you have to take anything with you?

Other than the soccer mom stigma, a minivan has to make vastly more sense for a large family, especially if you aren't using AWD or towing.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

text got cut off...I can't reach the edit button...

lost text on the right says

"far as I'm..." and
    "soft rooftop carrier"

Sorry, mods, thought the forum would resize it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our software is pretty dumb that way. Sorry.

If you like, we can delete your post and you can resize it and repost.
    Either way is fine, I just feel bad for people trying to read posts above or below it with that pic there. I have it resized and rehosted to 400px wide so it *should* fit.

I don't know. You tell me? That seems to be a pretty deep well behind the third row. It's set up like a Freestar or Odyssey as far as my eyes are concerned. Keep in mind I am a champion Tetris player, can pack like a soldier, and wouldn't be opposed to a soft rooftop carrier for a few duffel bags."
    I killed it. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Is it true that in the new 2011 Explorer that heated seats are available only on the Limited version, no matter how many option packages you apply to the XLT version?

(My fiancee wants heated seats but she doesn't want to pay the huge price difference between the XLT and the Limited version of the 2011 Explorer.)

Bud H
    I'm also somewhat upset that other options are "Limited only" like the power hatch and power folding third row. A "cargo convenience" package for base and XLT would be more appropriate. We don't want leather seats, a sunroof, a navigation system, a hard drive, or any other gadgets or undesirable options. I do so miss the days when you could order a vehicle ANY way you wanted it. Today, it seems you get all or nothing. $28K for the base model with standard options, or $40K for the Limited with the one thing you wanted and twenty others you didn't...
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I wish I could order one without the 3rd row, but I doubt that would be possible. And that's really too bad, because I like the vehicle so far (I could even learn to live with the FWD). Perhaps the seats can be removed.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Is it true that in the new 2011 Explorer that heated seats are available only on the Limited version, no matter how many option packages you apply to the XLT version?

No not true. You can order the comfort package which includes heated, power leather seating. It is $2500 extra though.
    I wish I could order one without the 3rd row, but I doubt that would be possible.

Why not just get the Edge?
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I hear you. I have considered the Edge, just can't get over that proboscis. To each his own, I guess. Plus, I'd like a little more ground clearance.
    The long tease is over.
    The 2011 Explorer will roll into your local dealer around second week in January.
    Job 1 was Nov 1 IIRC. When should they be hitting the showroom?
    Why do you have to get touch screen controls and synch? Honestly, I'm not sure I want Microsoft and their computer glitches in my car.
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    Hey everyone, great to meet you all! My name is Marielle, and I'm with American Pop, working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer. I'm here to answer any questions about the new vehicle, so ask away! Let me know if there's anything you guys want to know about the Explorer, and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with the latest news and new features as they're released, and I'll start working on the great questions already posted!

Check out the latest video revealing the EPA estimated MPG for the new Explorer! This makes the 2011 Explorer the Best in Class for V6 and 25% more fuel efficient than the current model! http://www.youtube.com/user/Explorer#p/u/1/tOHqcHnDfsw

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, there are some really cool videos and photos over at the official Ford Explorer Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer). You should check it out! While you're at it, be sure to visit the 2011 Ford Explorer site where you can build out and price the new Explorer with all the latest features! http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2011/

Thanks! Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say !

Marielle, working with Team Detroit/ Ford, Disclosure: http://cmp.ly/Agency/vopg46
    http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Edmunds, Marielleleigh.

For everyone, here's our 2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD Full Test that went live yesterday.

"Ford's decision to make the Explorer into a car-based SUV was the right one. It's convenient and comfortable in all the ways families will appreciate, and it's a worthy rival to vehicles like the CX-9, Durango, Highlander and Traverse. The Explorer is more distinctively styled than any of those vehicles and offers more safety features to boot. Further, it rides, handles, accelerates and stops as well as almost anything in the class...."

No, the new Ford explorer is nothing less or more than the second coming, "REHASH", of the Ford FreeStyle, the first rehash being the Taurus X, both having failed in the marketplace.

Nothing negative to say about the move to unibody construction, but FWD..Explorer..FWD....??

Sheer idiocy.

And why not DFI for the new V6...?

And DFI for the upcoming (if ever) Gas-Guzzling TwinForce (EcoBoost) 4 cylinder engine but with detuning, substandard compression ratio for DFI.

Sheer idiocy, again.

Lockup the "center differential" when turning in order to reduce the level of drive torque available to the front wheels to help prevent, alleviate, instances of loss of directional control...??

Sheer idiocy, yet again..

Lockup the "center differential" under straight ahead acceleration when on a perfectly dry and highly tractive surface...?

Just how much idiocy will the Ford Explorer buyer tolerate..??

Even with water cooling of the PTO and rear diff'l/clutch combination how long before failure of the weakest link(***) once all the resulting NEEDLESS driveline windup and tire scrubbing takes its toll...?

*** MDX = lockup clutch....Escape/mariner = PTO

I predict an early TSB, a switch to disable the F/awd fucntionality unless/until the driver has reason to suspect/expect a need for same.

And let's not, by all means, forget the need, nay, REQUIREMENT, for HYPERACTIVE TC to INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine and begin braking the front wheels once even the slightest level of wheelspin/slip develops.
    Otherwise this would be just another patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle.
    I haven't/hadn't paid much attention to the Ford FreeStar nor the Taurus X but just a few minutes ago I happened to walk past a FreeStar and I swear that if it had the Explorer label on it I wouldn't have known the difference.
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    I know a lot of you are probably wondering how the new Explorer can handle the snow with the flakes starting to fall! Check out the latest video from Team Detroit showing the new Explorer in action having some fun in the snow :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDTYTgCz2Q
    Why would we wonder that...?

Everyone knows, or certainly should know, that absent TC a FWD vehicle is just simply patently dangerous to take out on a wintertime adverse condition, slippery, roadbed. Do you even know why so many modern day F/awd vehicles have the ability to turn TC off....?

The new Ford Explorer is FWD or at best F/awd, front torque biased, so we all should know the danger involved in taking one of those out on a slippery roadbed. Sure, TC will kick in the instant wheelspin/slip develops and likely save my life but how do I get up my inclined driveway covered with ice or packed snow...?

The "old" Explorer was relatively safe in comparison since it was RWD or even 4WD. With RWD wheelspin/slip loss of directional control is not a threat unless the driver is an idiot.

Do you know why it is unwise to leave a 4WD vehicle such as the old Explorer in 4WD mode once underway...?
    Wwest,

Good to see that you agree that the Ford AWD is the BEST in the business.
    The proof was in the test drive in the desert of Dubai this past summer.
    "...Ford AWD is the best in the business.."

No, not, NEVER...!!

For sideways mounted engine vehicles, base FWD, the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system is more likely than otherwise....

The BEST in the Business.

I would suspect that anyone looking for an equivalent vehicle to the now obsolete :sick: Ford Explorer would be looking first at the Toyota 4runner.
    Question for Marielleleigh...

Suppose I get stuck in the mud, mud hole, and need to use wheelspin to rock back and forth and get up and going again, is there a way to disable TC such that that can be done...??

Or must I remove the ABS pumpmotor fuse to disable TC...??