Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    Happy New Year everyone!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtcJxeo3EU
  • brwndoggybrwndoggy Member Posts: 41
    comparing 2011 in recent Car and Driver... Doesn't drive as well and is 2 miles off of the pilot.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_ford_explorer_limited_4wd-road- _test
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    edited January 2011
    I guess the Pilot 40k long term C&D test was too long to read, so I will help out by posting their mileage results.
    "Despite Honda’s cylinder-deactivation system, our overall fuel economy was 18 mpg, 1 mpg worse than we observed in a 400-hp Porsche Panamera S."
    Maybe the comparison was to the BOF Explorer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • pg822pg822 Member Posts: 15
    Hello....

I am working with a dealer and RIGHT OFF THE BAT quoted me a price of $700 over invoice for a Limited with Package 301A, 2nd Floor Captain's Seats, and DVD player. The quote was for $40,966 (which includes the $1000 rebate and excludes TTL) after a sticker of $44,740.

They told me that the only way they could match Costco pricing is if I ordered one from the factory.

Does anyone know what the Costco price would be (ie, X% over invoice, below MSRP, etc)? Considering this model is brand new, I was somewhat surprised that he came in $700 over invoice.... I thought it would be priced closer to sticker. Does anyone think I am getting a good deal? I am going to try and get it cheaper, but want the Costco price in comparison. The Costco referred dealership is 30 miles away from me and they won't tell me anything over the phone/email, but if this dealer won't budge any further, I will probably make the drive. Thoughts?
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I can provide an X-Plan PIN. Not sure how this stacks up, but worth looking into.

Alan: Any thoughts?
    Thank you so much, Alan! The dealer told me that the X-Plan would get me the car $100 below invoice. Can you email it to me at patgreen822@yahoo.com? Thanks, again!
    I'm working on getting all these answers for everyone! Keep me posted with any new questions that come up!

In the meantime, check out the latest video showing you how the 2x button on the 2011 Explorer works!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5qwXALZeU
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That was Gary - I'm Allen! If your dealer told you X plan was $100 below invoice then find another dealer because that's hogwash. X plan is about $150 ABOVE invoice plus $100 doc fee. It should be a lot cheaper than the original price. They have to show you the invoice with X plan and you can see both the X plan and the dealer invoice price. The dealer gets a check from Ford for several hundred bucks so they're still making out ok.

If you can post the dealer name, zip code and last 5 of the VIN with a description (color, model) I can look up the X plan price. It just has to be listed on Forddirect.com's inventory for that dealer.
    edited January 2011
    Allen

I am confused. Based on what you said, It seems as if they are quoting me a price cheaper than x-plan. Why should I go to another dealer? He said that they would honor the $100 under invoice without even using the x-plan code. Do they make more with non x-plan sales? Something fishy is going on with their profit, although I don't really care if they make more money from the factory for non x-plan sales as long as I am getting a good price. Am I missing something? By the way, it is a factory order so no VIN.

Also, they added $600 to the invoice for advertising/fuel. It seems I can never get out of paying these fees from dealers!

Thanks!

Pat
    Dealer just told me that he made a mistake and that the x-plan is $100 over invoice. Does that sound more like it Allen? He said tat he will honor the $100 over invoice without using the x-plan code.

Does anyone know if I can beat $100 over invoice using Costco?
    I'm highly skeptical any time I hear a dealer who says that. Remember the spiff check I mentioned? If the dealer sells it to you at the X plan price without a X plan pin that means they just gave away a $500 check from Ford. Why would they do that? It almost always means they're making more than $500 elsewhere in the deal. Doc fees on X plan are limited to $100. How much are their doc fees without X plan? Most places charge $400 or more. Without X plan they can charge you additional fees and force you to buy aftermarket add-ons with huge markups. They can also keep all or part of the incentives including dealer cash. With X plan that is strictly prohibited.

The only way to be sure is to get an itemized buyer's order showing the vehicle price and all of the fees and add-ons. It's called Out the Door pricing - everything included. Then you can see the price and all the extra stuff and you can easily compare that to the X plan price.

I recommend getting the X plan from Gary as offered - that way you know exactly what you're getting and you won't have to worry about hidden fees or waste time. Unless the dealer is desperate there's no good reason for them to go below X plan pricing on such a new and popular vehicle.

Caveat Emptor!
    Allen

Thanks for all of your advice.... I appreciate it. The Doc fee they are charging for a non-X Plan is $156, so that seems reasonable. I had them provide an "out the door" quote and everything matched up to the $100 over invoice price that I calculated with the exception of the dreaded "advertising fee" which I have never been able to get out of. This matches the X-Plan price. Overall, I am very pleased with the deal, especially since it is a new model. If they make a little money on the back end from Ford, I don't really care. I went into this process with the intention of getting a price close to invoice. I got that so I am not going to worry about what they are or aren't getting on the manufacturer. Based on your advice, I will verify from them again that there are no other "add-on" charges before I place the order on Saturday. I am looking forward my dark gray Limited! Should be a fun ride!
    If you're sure there are no add-ons or extra fees and the doc fee is only $156 then that's a great deal. The advertising fee is part of the dealer invoice and is already included in the X plan price. It's a legitimate charge to the dealer.

Just keep your eyes open and make sure nothing extra gets slipped in. Should be dealer invoice + $100 plus $156 doc fee plus tax, tag, title or any other gov't required fees - nothing else. Good luck!

Just for grins - ask the dealer why they would sell it for the X plan price without a X plan pin and why they would give up the spiff check. Just curious.
    Thanks... I will ask that question. Thanks for the advice/guidance too!
  • meredithskmeredithsk Member Posts: 1
    Yes I am late to the party, but for the genious who mentioned the tape measure for quirky cargo shapes/sizes (berri?) i can't agree more. You didn't happen to jot those ford explorer 2011 measurements anywhere??? I haul paintings which are not flexible at all.....
  • mojaymojay Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know if there a way to get captain's chairs in any model other than Limited? I don't need/want the extra "stuff" on the limited but want captain's chairs. Think they could be special ordered and installed by dealer?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    ebay.
  • mojaymojay Member Posts: 8
    for a 2011?? Sorry if I wasn't specific.
    I doubt if the seat tracks/mounts have been revised since the Ford FreeStyle came to market.

I put RX300 seats, w/memory even, in my E350 MH
    Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend :) Just wanted to share some great news with you all! The 2011 Ford Explorer has won the 2011 North American Truck of the Year Award!! Woot Woot!

Check out Mark Fields acceptance speech here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5mndPLDj0
  • rynick2rynick2 Member Posts: 9
    Allen,

If you have a pin, is there a way of checking vehicle price without going into the dealer? I have Vin, dealer zip etc.

Thanks Ryn
    If you got the pin from a Ford employee you should have been given access to the friends and neighbors website which will give you access to dealer inventory and x plan prices. Ask the employee that gave you the pin.

If you got it through the Ford Partner website you can get them there. Go to the pricing page and do a Dealer Inventory Search.

If that doesn't work email me and I'll see if I can help.
  • rynick2rynick2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Allen
  • rew1225rew1225 Member Posts: 9
    When will production begin of the 2011 Explorer with the I-4 EcoBoost Engine.?
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2011
    I am looking for a new vehicle and presently have a large V8 car. I thought I would try a CUV. I like a smooth ride and cutting edge technology. Does the Explorer ride as well as the Flex? I do not need the passenger room, but I like good-visibility and a comfort. The Flex seems as comfortable as the MKT to me. My dealer doesn't have a loaded Explorer LTD for me to drive. MyFord seems intriguing inspite of the lackluster reviews. BTW, I am also a Ford stockholder.
    I'd prefer to spend less than $50,000. :confuse:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Well they've only been out barely a week so you may not get much feedback on the ride. Give it a couple of weeks for more stock to roll in.

Keep in mind that as a shareholder you get special pricing. Contact shareholder services to get a PIN number. IIRC, it's about $100 over invoices and you get all incentives available.
    It should ride as well as the Flex if not better. Of course you'd have to drive one to be sure.
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    This is a fabulous site, thanks Ford. I spent about two hours examining and sitting in the Explorer at the 2011 LA Auto show, along with a handful of other Gear Heads and we were all impressed beyond expectations by the design and build quality as well as the quality of materials used. It is also an exceptionally well thought out vehicle, and for me one of only three vehicles where I am comfortable in the driver's seat, the other two being the Sequoia Platininum, and the Volvo XC90 - pretty good company. This is the first time in 30 years that I have been motivated to buy American. I will be renting one from my local specialty rental agency to drive for a couple of days once they get one in - there is a waiting list to rent one already!
  • rew1225rew1225 Member Posts: 9
    Glad to hear your comments. We are down to a one car household in my anticipation of buying a 2011 Explorer with the EcoBoost I-4 engine which will not be available until later this quarter. Sold a 07 Yukon with 116K miles not wanting to take the hit using it as trade-in. I haven't even seen a new Explorer on the road here in Houston...only in the rail yard where most of the cars arrive before being trucked to the dealers. I have read everything I can about the car, tried pricing it out but no cost yet posted for the I-4 engine, and have had some contact with the local dealers. Would be interested in your evaluation after you drive one..
    Expect about a $4,000 to $7,000 price "boost" for an Explorer with an EcoBoost engine. That's the way it seems to be priced on other Ford models for which it's already vailable.
    @fawltytowers44 Thanks so much for sharing your first hand experience in the car! It's awesome to hear your all your feedback!!!
  • guy27guy27 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone towed with the new Explorer? Now that it has a unibody (car) frame, I am concerned that it will have a "bouncy" ride when towing. I tow a smaller camper, about 3000#. The power should be enough with HP and torque, but what about the ride?
    Thanks.
    Guy
  • blevinsdblevinsd Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone checked if you can put 4 golf bags in the read with the 2nd row seats up. I'd like to carry them parallel to the rear axles.
  • tap24tap24 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2011
    I tried new XLT today without a sunroof. Love the car's ride and looks. Big improvement in headroom over version with sunroof I tried last week (probably 2-3" difference). I am 6'2" with long torso and I sit very upright. I fit a little better in the Flex, but am not into its looks or clunkiness. Also looking Buick Enclave, but not sure about quality of GM (all prior cars Acuras and Infinitis). My only issue is whether I am too high on the windshield in the 2011 XLT. The 2011 Ex. seems to have a more angled (toward horizontal) windshield, thus making it shorter from top to bottom. I feel that the visor is close to my line of sight -- even with seat all the way down. Anyone else feel this way? Enclave seems to have a slightly taller windshield. Any input appreciated.
  • bretebrete Member Posts: 8
    What are the current incentives ford has on the explorer?what are the current lease rates, (money factor and residual value) on a 24 and 36 month lease?

Thanks
    There is a leasing forum where you can get the answer.
    It's probably better to ask your questions there.
    @brete Great question! For incentives and info on lease rates, it would be best to check with your local dealer.

You can head over here to check for incentives! You can put in the vehicle you are looking to purchase and your zip code: http://www.ford.com/incentives/

On the http://www.ford.com/ site, you can select a vehicle and click the "Pricing Tab", which lists Best Lease Offer. There's an option to request a local quote there too!

Hope this helps :)
    edited January 2011
    Marielleleigh;

Did you ever answer may question about driveline component cooling...?

The Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner F/awd system has suffered through premature PTO and/or rear diff'l failures for many years now. While Mazda seemingly had the good sense to provide water cooling for the PTO on their otherwise virtualy duplicate F/awd system.

At the Seattle auto show it looked to me as if Ford might be providing water cooling, engine coolant, for the PTO and the rear diff'l. Is that the case, either, or...??
    We have 2 Escapes (04 and 09). I also follow some Escape websites.
    I'm not sure what this PTO/rear diff problem is. I have not heard about it before.
    Can you provide some more details?
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Does the lease calculator on your website use the current Money Factor and residual percentages based on zip code, or is it just high end estimate?
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2011
    Does the lease calculator on your website use the current Money Factor and residual percentages based on zip code, or is it just high end estimate?

I've wondered the same thing, the lease payments I calculate on the website are a good $100 less than what dealers are quoting me, even after I adjust for no cap cost reduction, my mileage and months. I can't tell if the calculator is bogus or if dealers are just being slimeballs. Probably a little of both.

When I build a 4X4 Limited with 302A and moonroof, with $0 downpayment, 39 months and 15,000 miles the payment is about $670 on the calculator. I've had 2 dealers quote me $770 - $780/mo for the same deal. I've asked them for the underlying numbers but they have yet to provide them. I was basically told that they frown on giving numbers over e-mail and the phone and the only way to get the best deal was to come in and talk to the managers, I'm obviously not that dumb, so I haven't gone in and won't.

As we've discussed in other posts here and in the leasing forum $770 - $780 is just ridiculous for an Explorer regardless of how loaded it is. It's a great vehicle and I'd love to have one, but I don't love it enough to overpay for it.
    edited January 2011
    On the F/awd version there is a history of PTO overheating and subsequent failure. The earlier rear diff'l/clutch assembly had the same overheating problem until Ford added a thermostat that is used to forewarn the driver of the impending overheat condition. If the driver chooses to ignore the indication the rear clutch coupling is simply disabled, no rear drive, until it cools down.

The new 2011 F/awd Ford Explorer apparently uses engine coolant to abate the PTO failures but so far the attention, if any, to the issue of rear diff'l/clutch failure proneness is unknown.

Early indications of an impending PTO failure appears to be the lubricant overheating, BOILING, and blowing out the seals wherein the lubricant leaks away. Ford has gone through a whole series of seal upgrades/revisions to prevent the PTO lubricant loss but so far seemingly to no avail.

Obviously the new F/awd Ford Explorer is a LOT heavier and with a much more powerful engine that the Escape. So it's no real surprise that cooling is needed for the PTO and maybe even the rear diff'l/clutch assembly. Absent cooling of teh rear diff'l/clutch assembly I would expect to see the return of the thermostat overheat detection technique to prevent driver's from inadvertently "failing" the assembly. No harm, no foul, really, since the Acura MDX SH-AWD, inclusive of 2011, uses the same technque to prevent overheating of the rear drive assembly.
    According to the Ford Flex pricing structure you should expect to pay a $6,000 premium for the EcoBoost/TwinForce gas-guzzling gas-hog engine if you choose the lowest end Explorer version on which that option is available but as little as $3,000 if you choose a high end Explorer version.
    edited January 2011
    Google says you are about the only one promoting the PTO problem.
    I was going to ask for more details, but I don't really need them, thanks.
    That overheating issue sounds familiar in regards to the CR-V. It does share lineage with the MDX.
    I like the '11 Explorer, but I still like my '02.
  • jackalopejackalope Member Posts: 4
    Why no Sport Trac? That's the only Explorer worth having!
    It could be because the Sport-Trac is more like a "truck" than an SUV or CrossOver. Truck owners/buyers (mostly MEN..?) do not cotton, in general, to FWD or even F/awd. I've been mildly surprised at the success of the Honda RidgeLine, but then it's only available with "4WD", the VTM-4 system.

You can fool some of the people........
    "..the only one "promoting" the PTO problem.."

You mean other than the myriad of TSBs Ford (and Mazda/Tribute) has issued over the matter, PTO and rear diff'l clutch, for more than a decade now...?

If you plan to purchase a new 2011 F/awd Ford Explorer it might well be worth your time to review those.
  • jsochajsocha Member Posts: 1
    I am on my 3rd Ford vehicle. Looking to buy '11 Explorer. How do I get the special pricing as a stockholder? I never knew about this.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Contact shareholder services - you can get their info from ford.com.

IIRC, shareholders get X plan.
    If you've had at least 100 shares for 6 months you can contact shareholder services and get a X plan pin.