Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Sienna Radiator Problem

verychilliverychilli Member Posts: 1
I took my car in for a 40K maintenance check - and returned with the horrible news that I would need to replace my radiator. There is a crack on the tubing linking the "secondary" (which I do not understand) and the only solution would be to replace.

Nothing wrong at 32K and 36K servicing that had toyota coverage - but immediately a $1000 cost at the 40K.

Is this fairly normal? Any redressal forum as it seems strange that a toyota is giving me such high repair costs so early in its life?

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited December 2010
    Definitely not normal...I haven't heard of any radiator replacements on 07+ models at all, and your miles are low.

No sympathy from the dealer?

Or call Toyota's 800 number for customer service.

That's crazy, a $1000 radiator repair for a 3 year old van?

Ask the dealer if you can buy an extended warranty retroactively and then have that included somehow. I've seen 7/100 warranties for less than $800. The catch is you usually have to buy before the 36k B2B warranty expires.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Add me to the 'suddenly in the know' on this one. I'll do a write up on my new 2008 purchase shortly, but at 13k the vans previous owner suffered that fate. Warranty Pay reimbursed the dealer $815, so no out of pocket.

Right below the radiator neck is a small (like 3/8" tube) that goes over to the engine and meets a 1.5" radiator hose with a 'saddle valve' like middle-of-the-hose mating. Very weird looking. The mechanic reported a small hairline crack with some coolant leakage.
  • Options
    tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    I just replaced my radiator in my 1998 Sienna. The total cost was $478.95
  • Options
    dharryshindharryshin Member Posts: 1
    I need your advise.
    I have a 1998 Sienna with 235,000 miles and it has been very good car for us.
    There is a 2.5 inch long crack at the top of radiator and I was wondering whether to repair it or replace it.

I certainly do not want to spend $479.
    Some one offer me $150 for new radiator ,and $60 for labor to install.
    What should I do?
  • Options
    How is that engine running? Does it feel like it'll go for a couple more years?

If so, the $210 seems easily worth it. That's like, what, half of one car payment?
  • Options
    car1235car1235 Member Posts: 2
    my 2008 toyota sienna has been kept in the garage for a while. After jump started the cable and driven for quarter miles, the emergency brake light has been on and the van was starting to loose power.
    It seemed the brake was blocking the van from moving forward.
    Q.1 What cause the problem ?
    Q.2 Was it because of ABS brake failure?
    Q.3 What is related to jumping cable connected to the wrong position?
    I was told that it was the issue of the module of the ABS brake system and that the repair cost would be $4000. Please advise.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    You posted this in a thread on radiator issues, so I'm not sure if there is some connection here.

Did you actually jump start the engine with the battery cables reversed? If so, that is certainly not good for much of the electronics. Some are probably protected from reverse bias, some probably not. There is also (on many cars) a master fuse that sometimes goes with accidental reversal, but if the van is running, it probably didn't open (or this model lacks one).
  • Options
    car1235car1235 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information
  • Options
    benttreebenttree Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Sienna - 160K completely failed while driving on the highway - rpm started revving and engine went crazy - pulled over after about 3 minutes of trouble - noticed rear window was covered with oily film and van smelled odd - towed to dealer and was told the radiator had carroded and leaked - this affected the transmission - replaced radiator - $800 - now told the transmission is shot and possibly the entire engine - 5-6K to repair. I have been horribly disappointed in this vehicle since my husband first drove it home 3 years ago - interior and exterior quality is terrible - drove a 1994 Previa that was built like a tank - no repairs needed - oil and tires - that was it - Toyota has really compromised on quality - What do we do -
  • Options
    160k miles is a lot, if this were a Dodge thread people would be bragging, "Can you BELIEVE I got a whole 160k miles out of this thing before my first major break down!?"

:D

I'm half kidding...

Powertrain warranty is 60k, so still, that lasted nearly 3 times what it's guaranteed for.
  • Options
    victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    I've got a couple of pretty ugly radiator leaks on my 2005 Sienna, not sure was it <60k miles or 60-something back then, and a rack-and-pinion leak. (I don't harbor unrealistic expectations, I think it's about time.) The dealer's estimate was above 1k for each of those problems. Looked online; seems like a used radiator is typically $600-800. Bought Lukas ($10) for steering and the cheepest powder (Bar's, $2.99) for radiator; both problems solved for now (9k miles already). If I need to repeat this procedure before trading my van in, I will.