Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover LR2 new tires and TPMS?

mr_bubblemr_bubble Member Posts: 12
edited September 2014 in Land Rover
I have about 37K miles on my 2008 LR2 and will be replacing the tires shortly. I am considering replacing the OEM Conti's with a new tire from Toyo called Versado CUV. Anyway, my question involves the TPMS sensors on the wheels.

What have other LR2 owners done with the TPMS when replacing tires? The three basic options are 1) leave them alone, 2) use the TPMS service kit to replace just the assembly hardware ... rubber grommet, retaining nut, etc., or 3) replace the sensors.

I have also heard that these TPMS sensors are fragile and easy to break when removing the tires. In this case, who pays for a new TPMS sensor ... the shop or the owner?

Comments

• Options
    onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    they shouldnt break if installer follows proper procedure for removing tire from the rim. they should be getting more used to watching out for them as more and more cars they service have them.
  • Options
    Agree with your comment. After speaking with several tire installers, most indicated they would cover the cost of a broken TPMS sensor. All autos made since 2008 now have TPMS as a federal requirement, so the shops have learned to work around them. For every hundreds of cars, they make break one by accident but they would take care of that as it is a rare exception.

I did encounter a shop that made it sound like the TPMS sensor was faulty if they broke it, and they would charge me for the replacement. I will not be doing business with them. So it's worthwhile to ask this question when getting a quote to qualify the tire dealer before doing business with them.

I decided to go with the OEM Conti's as my replacement tire. One of the tire dealers I spoke with, who sells all tire brands, convinced me that OEM tires are generally the best match for your car unless you have some particular driving conditions that are better suited to a special purpose tire.

Regarding TPMS service, the advice I got is to leave them alone, at least for the first tire change. The rubber grommet seals and hardware should be fine on a car that is only three years old, so no need to apply the service packs (even though the owners manual tells you to). The service pack should be applied on the second tire replacement.

And no need to replace the TPMS sensors themselves as their batteries can last up to ten years.
  • Options
    onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    dont know how they could say sensor is bad because if it was bad you would have known before you even got there to get the tires. direct tpms went back to about 2002 and ramped up to 100 percent for 2008. place should be plenty used to working on them by now.
  • Options
    captferdcaptferd Member Posts: 14
    If you want anouther 35,000 mile tire then buy the OEM. Or you can shell out a few extra bucks and get decient tires. Michelin LTX2 70,000 mile warranty.
  • Options
    Michelin does not make an SUV tire in the size required by this vehicle.
  • Options
    miller911miller911 Member Posts: 1
    OEMs are 235/55 on 19 in wheels. Can I fit 255/55 on these same wheels? I know speedometer will be off a bit. More concerned if they will fit the rims and how likely I am to have any rubbing issues?
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    According to Continental Tire's web site, a 255/50R19 would be a good substitute.
This discussion has been closed.