Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is this car rust-prone?

skoorbmaxskoorbmax Member Posts: 11
Fool me twice shame on me and all that but I have a 2004 Mazda MPV that I believe is heavily prone to rusting. I've seen others in the area almost all suffering from rust in the same area and also come upon people on forums who have issues. I do believe it's a rust-prone vehicle.

So back to the fool me twice, I'm thinking about a Mazda 5. It's a shame it seems to have no competition but it is a unique vehicle and I can get a 2009 with 30-40k from a dealer for $12-13k (great price).

I live in NY state, but is this vehicle more or less prone to rusting than others? I realize it's a difficult thing to objectify, though.

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946
    No issues noted on our '09 so far.

If you still have your MPV and have under 100k miles, your rust is covered under warranty (all vehicles I know of come with 10yr/100k warranty against rust).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• marlonchwomarlonchwo Member Posts: 9
    My 2006 Mazda 5 got rust at both rear wheel well, and just got the fix (grind and paint) by Dealership, which to claim Mazda Canada. However, my Mazda 5 also got rust at the door hanging hinge, but this was not covered. Pretty upset, and it should not rust so easy at that hidden spot. Also, per warranty booklet, the rust warranty cover upto 5 year on the paint body ONLY.

My experience (98 protege and 06 Mazda 5) tell me that the body rust protection of Mazda's is not that good!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946
    That differs by country. UK has 12 years apparently. Can't find US at the moment.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    If you still have your MPV and have under 100k miles, your rust is covered under warranty (all vehicles I know of come with 10yr/100k warranty against rust).

Mazda's rust warranty is 5 yrs - unlimited miles here in the States.
This discussion has been closed.