Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

ECO Shifting Modes

chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
edited August 2014 in Hyundai
What is the significance of resetting the ECO mode from ON to Off ?

The only difference I have been able to detect is that you cannot get into 6th gear unless you are really moving when it is OFF.
Using the OFF mode was sugessted by a Service Advisor when I was complaining about transmisson issues. I did not notice any other differences between the two settings.
Has anyone found anything in the owners manual ?

Comments

• Options
    chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    Yoooo viper14,

I thought I finally got some feedback on my question, but your response came back empty. I can't beleive you guys drive all the time and don't know if it's with ECO on or ECO off. Maybe this is something new with the 2010's, I don't know ?
    If you don't understand it, at least let me know if you use the ON or OFF
    setting while driving.
  • Options
    viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    Chuck06, Thanks for the information. However, I've checked my owners manual and found that the ECO indicator can be turned off or on using the reset button. There is no information relating to an option of driving with the ECO on or off, only that the ECO indicator aids in good fuel mileage.

Nothing in the manual provides details on if or how the ECO can be selected on/off. Actually Hyundai doesn't explain the ECO system to car owners or to their service people. Can you give anymore detailed information on the ECO system?
  • Options
    chazpazchazpaz Member Posts: 6
    The last time I had my SF in for a Transmission issue, the service advisor asked if I ever drove in the NON ECO mode. I replied that I did not know that was possible. After showing me how to set that, he implied that I might prefer the way the tranny shifted with ECO OFF.
    I tried that for several hundred miles and determined that the tranny pretty much had the same problems as before. The only recurring thing I found was that you can't shift from 5 to 6 manually. However, if you check while driving on the open road, the vehicle is probably in that overdrive (6) . After comparing the MPG, the results were pretty much the same with ECO ON or OFF.
    You would think, with a feature that you can turn ON or OFF, the Owners Manuel would devote at least a paragraph on it's purpose and advantages ?
  • Options
    Would you share with us how to turn ECO on/off? Other than using reset to shutoff the indicator.
  • Options
    You turn it ON or OFF with the Reset button on the dash. No one seems to know what actually happens, but it's as easy to do as resetting your Trip Mileage.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I turned off the ECO, on or off makes no difference in the way the car shifted. Back to square one. Strange that with all the message traffic back and forth Hyundai remains very quiet. So much for customer support/satifaction.
  • Options
    somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    have you checked if you get better gas mileage with eco on v.s. off?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MY READINGS HAVE BEEN PRACTICALLY THE SAME FOR BOTH -------BETWEEN 20 AND 21+ OVERALL ON THE V6. NOTE, THESE TRIALS WERE ALL CHECKED WITH THE TEMPS BETWEEN 30 and 10 F.
This discussion has been closed.