Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

tissue paper front bumper - 2007 tacoma

bill4444bill4444 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Toyota
I'm curious if anyone else has had a similiar revelation with their Tacoma. I've got a 2007 regular cab that slid off an icy road last week and toppled a stop sign. The stop sign was undamaged - it just needed to be dropped back in its posthole. However a different matter with the Tacoma. I expected some scratched paint and a small dent, but all of the front grill/trim was shattered and unnervingly, the bumper had been shoved 6 inches back against the radiator.

How this model ever got good crash test ratings is a mystery to me. I get queasy thinking about hitting an immovable object at 20mph rather than a movable one a 3mph. I can picture myself holding the engine block in my lap.

Comments

• captferdcaptferd Member Posts: 14
    Yes I would be concerned. [non-permissible content removed] vehicals have always been the loser in a crash. I had one in the eightys and almost died in it and have never bought anouther.
  • 00cabrio08reno00cabrio08reno Member Posts: 14
    i have a 2005 toyota tacoma. I go off-roading almost every other weekend. I have hit trees and slid down hills into other hills and even rocks. I have never had to change my bumper and cant beleive that you have had that much trouble.
    :sick: :confuse: :confuse:
  • ffengffeng Member Posts: 1
    :sick: :confuse: :blush:
  • knowsitallknowsitall Member Posts: 5
    Have a careful look. The bumper itself is a big chunk of aluminum bolted onto the front of the frame. The plastic thing at the front of the vehicle is just a piece of nice-looking trim.
  • bill4444bill4444 Member Posts: 2
    The obliterated plastic trim wasn't a total surprise. The thin piece of aluminum passing for a bumper was. It folded. Someone at a Toyota dealership body shop had the audacity to tell me the wimpy bumper was by design. By giving way it reduced frame damage in front impacts.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Trucks do not have to comply with any Federal regulations regarding bumpers like cars do. The rules don't apply, so the manufacturers spend as little as possible on truck bumpers.
  • captaindrywallcaptaindrywall Member Posts: 3
    at the end of 05 we got a new tacoma body with a plastic bumper. I had one too. I bought a great bumper. In fact they copy it all the time and sell them for 2600 dollars. I'll sell mine for $600 let me know
  • captaindrywallcaptaindrywall Member Posts: 3
    My bumper, much thicker than any you can buy now
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    How can we contact you?