Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veloster

2»

Comments

• kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    While I have not experienced the issues noted on other blog sites regarding the transmission, it's something to be expected when there is an all new powertrain. This is my third Hyundai but is the first one with so much new technology in it. One of the reasons why Hyundais were so trouble-free in the past is that they used tested, albeit dated, technology. Ford's Focus has had similar issues with its new DCT and mytouch technology. The Mazda 5 I owned prior to my Hyundai Touring was built in Japan using the Mazda 3 platform. It had issues with the front subframe and brake rotors that warped frequently. What's my point? New cars regardless of origin are complicated machines and to expect new technology in particular to be bullet proof right off the line is a bit unrealistic. At least Hyundai provides an amazing suite of warranties!
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Having just completed a road trip to LA and back to Vegas, I have to say that I don't know why all the reviews have been so negative regarding power. Yes, it's not a sports car but it's far from being underpowered. My car was delivered after the service bulletin for the DCT fix so maybe that has something to do with it?

First, some mpg stats:
    going average of 80mph in the high desert-34mpg. This included scaling a few 4000+ft mountains and some stiff winds.

going an average of 70mph on flat hwy at sea level: 42.1mpg (the trip computer can range in error from +.5 to +1.4pmpg based on calculations at fill-ups)

Consistently have achieved 27+mpg in city driving (this does not mean sitting at idle for long periods of time but stop-and-go; short distances)

NEVER had to shift down past 5th to maintain 80mph going up steep mountain grades! NEVER had issues with merging from on-ramps with an uphill ascent. Have no trouble pulling away from traffic at stoplights.

Yes, the suspension is challenged going over rough pavement; the 18" wheels don't help. The only wind noise at high speed cruising is from the A-pillars and the tires. Seats were comfortable for 5+ hours of driving. Radio reception for AM and FM was very poor but never have an issue with satellite reception. Exhaust chrome gets sooty pretty fast on long drives.

Very happy with my Veloster and it's amazing how much attention this car gets even in jaded LA! Sorry for the long post...
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Just got to check out the Veloster Turbo at the NY Auto Show, VERY sharp car, the matte gray metallic is very impressive in person. Very comfortable car, the manual clutch has got an awfully long travel to it though (not that I care, I want an automatic). I was surprised by how much headroom I had, but this car didn't have the panoramic sunroof. That rear seat definitely isn't habitable by adults, no real surprise there, but the available legroom up front is fantastic: I'm 6 foot and didn't have to move the back seat all the way back. Maybe slightly larger children will be able to fit back there. :P

I'm hoping the backup sensors and rearview camera can be had as standalone options. The info sheet has them packed with nav and a panoramic sunroof, neither of which I would use. They don't have it listed anywhere public but they're estimating 37 MPG highway on the automatic, which for 201 HP is pretty decent (read: Amazing, miraculous, choirs of angels singing and heavenly light shining over the land :shades: )
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    W/5,000 miles and 6 months on my Veloster, these are my comments.I would NOT buy this car again due to headrests, tire/wheel combo, vague steering.It is attractive, comfortable(except for head rests), fuel efficient,seems to be well made.It LACKS assist handles to get in, a halo light for the ignition, lights for window/door lock, light in cargo compt., spare tire (donut) STILL not available,turn signal indicators need relocating (right in speedo, left in tach),head rests change to 4 way (adding fore/aft adjustment)45 series rubber on 18" wheel,a manual/disc that shows MY audio panel.I would buy other Hyundai's without question.
    You know, you COULD always replace the wheels/rubber yourself...
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I know it is a photo-shopped version, but wouldn't this be a cool car if Hyundai built it?

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/hyundai-veloster-convertible
  • rontaramayrontaramay Member Posts: 1
    First i want to say that I love my Velostar. I admit that it took me a bit to remember how to pronounce Veloster. I purchased a model/standard 2012 Gray 6 speed velostar with cloth seats. I wonder if anyone is having issues with the seats discoloring? Both front seats have discoloring simular to sun damage .... dealer thought that I had spilled something. However, i would have notice if I had spilled something in SPOTS.
    Anyway, anyone else having this issue?
  • vitaminjnutvitaminjnut Member Posts: 5
    yes I have this exact issue that I thought perhaps was back sweat LOL. But then it happened on the passenger side and I never have any :)
    Well, the pricing is out for the Turbo, and it's REALLY friggin cheap. Death to the 1.8L, heh. :)
    The Veloster Turbo has just dropped, dealers can't keep Velosters on the lot more than a couple of weeks, but it's dead silent on this board. I hope it's just because everyone is out driving the things and not because no one wants to talk about the car. :shades:
  • gugaguga Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai knew that there would be a turbo while those of us bought the first models out - which groans uphill, especially with passengers, gets on the freeway going from 0 - 60 in 20 minutes..........

Mileage good, looks - the best. To say thank you for supporting Hyundai with their first model and since they didn't tell us about the turbo release 6 mo after purchase...... it would be great for them to let us trade in the car for just the difference in cost and not have to groan with how little power the 2012 has. I sure didn't think I was buy a car that was suitable for a sweet little o'ld lady - even if I is one and I sure miss some power, especially on the hills/freeway entrances.
    On the one hand, the way it looks, yeah, maybe they missed the market a little (they figured FE would be more important to the target buyer, they were actually trying to compete with the CRZ). On the other hand, I think the Veloster may make a better Accent than the Accent if they just drop a little more weight from it (maybe lose that large glass piece off of the hatch, that can't be all that light).

On the third hand, it'll reduce the mystique if it becomes their standard subcompact. :shades:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Long test drives are a great idea when buying a car... including hills/freeway entrances. Then the buyer knows if performance is acceptable for his/her needs.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I drove one, other than not fitting in the vehicle, the power is what dissuaded me.

I'm not certain if the power deliver is similar or competitive with others in this class, but I knew from the first corner that it wasn't enough for me.

I drove it in November 2011. The salesman told me there would be a turbo model coming...and I read online a few months earlier that a turbo would be coming.

I don't think Hyundai will have a special program to "upgrade"...but the dealer probably will give you a "deal"; I doubt it will be at cost.
    The Turbo is theoretically "here" though my dealer hasn't gotten one in yet. They were hoping to have one on yesterday's delivery, but no such luck (no Elantra GT either). Maybe by next weekend. They actually have 5 or 6 regular Velosters on the lot, which kind of surprised me considering Edmunds recently reported they're turning in 15 days.
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    As the "co-signer" (my wife made me co-sign for her friend!) on a 2012, I had no input into the car selection. However, as a Hyundai owner (2001 XG300 - totaled but saved my life!, and my current 2009 Azera Limited) I was not unhappy with the choice...with some minor exceptions:
    the car doesn't come with back-up sensors standard and garage door openers build into the the mirror. In today's market, both of those things are almost base-level items.

Note: I did not negotiate anything on behalf of this woman for this car: I would have upgraded her to the '13 Turbo with the Nav and the bells and whistles. I got my wife to do that on her '11 Fusion Hybrid (she was kicking and screaming about the extra 2 grand) but now she loves it.

Final note: This was the best car transaction in terms of dealer-customer interaction I ever had. There was absolutely no pressure to buy any add-ons at the last minute, all papers were clearly explained to her (and me) and actual hard tags were placed on the vehicle before she drove off the lot (not a common occurrence in Florida.) While the deal was being written up, the salesman took her 13 year old son for a ride in his current dream car, a 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The dealership: Palm Automall in Punta Gorda Florida.
    Do-nut spare tire is finally available, bought it for $300.00!Had to go to Goodyear to get it mounted.Fits well into the compartment.I did change the 40 series tires for 45, top of the line Goodyears (Corvette tires).The difference in ride and handling is dramatically improved.Recently took a 2000 mile trip of hard driving, averaged about 33 mpg.Continually impressed with navigation,has worked very well.Head rests remain the only main issue, along with lights for night driving.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    remind of what the headrest issue is again with the Hyundai Veloster. Forgot.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Headrests have no fore and aft adjustment , are too far forward for comfort, you can't lean back into the seat easily.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    that doesn't sound very comfortable with the new Hyundai Veloster's headrests. I would think that Hyundai would be getting right on fixing that, eh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick