Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Canadian Optima

conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
I have just obtained pricing and full details plus comparison sheets on the all new 2011 Optima for the Canadian market. If you have any specific questions I will try my best to answer. Here is the pricing:

LX Manual - $21,995
LX Auto - $24,195
LX+ $25,595 (finally you can get the panoramic sunroof without getting the top model) also includes auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and Homelink)

EX - $26,695
EX+ - $28,095
EX Luxury - $30,595
EX Luxury + Nav - $32,095

SX Turbo - $33,695

In case you were wondering how this stacks up against the 2010 Magentis:
LX - $21,995
LX auto - $23,195
LX V6 - $24,295
LX Premium - $25,295
SX - $29,495
SX-V6 - $30,795

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600

the Kia Canada website now has the Optima listed on their pages, so you can check all the features and figure out the pricing.

http://www.kia.ca/pages/showroom/Overview.aspx?model=Optima
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Took a test drive last weekend, here are my initial impressions.
    Good looking car, very smooth shifting and powerful engine, very impressed with powertrain.
    On the downside
    1. Steering. While turning is ok, going in a straight line is not. I do not like this electric steering thing. Seems like this technology has not been perfected yet. Zack spencer from driving television noted the same exact thing with the new sportage.
    2. Seats are narrow and short, and on the firm side. Not comfortable for long trips. the rear seats are especially small. I do not think it is a good idea to have good leg room by shortening the seats.
    3. Rear trunk hinges are very intrusive.
    4. Looked but could not locate the transmission dipstick for checking level and condition of transmission oil. I would not buy a car with complicated transmission maintenance. I usually look for an easy to refill transmission with a drain plug that allows you to drain about 3-4 litres of transmission oil. I am not a fan of flushing or opening the lower pan.
    I would not buy a car with complicated transmission maintenance.

I would say this vehicle is far from complicated, as the only requirement (auto) is replacing the fluid at 96,000 km or 48 months under the standard maintenance procedures. - that's it! It also states "automatic transaxle fluid should not be checked under normal usage conditions"
    If its a manual transmission (LX only) it says to inspect every 24,000 km or 12 months and again replace at 96,000 km or 48 months. Couldn't be easier!
    Complicated for me means I have to take it to the dealer to do the work.
    If I cannot easily drain the fluid by removing a plug (without disconnecting lines going to radiator or using a flushing machine).
    As flushing machines tend to cause damage in a lot of cases.
    Would you know how to easily refill the transmission assuming it can be drained? I was not able to locate the refill area.
    and how can you tell if the level is correct if there is no dipstick?
    That is what I mean by complicated, you would need sophisticated tools to do the job. I want to be able to do it myself in my driveway with minimal tools.
    I follow what you mean, but if its only every 4 years, it shouldn't be much of a concern. However, it sounds like you need to talk to the service department of a Kia dealership to find out the other answer or have you checked on KGIS to see if the answer is there.

Maybe its the same on a lot of more recent vehicles. Vehicles are getting more complicated these days to what they used to be, wouldn't want to try and diagnose or repair with the various computer systems on board now.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2011
    man, do ya still have the Daewoo Leganza of Edmunds.com talked-about fame? What'cha drivin' these days? Nice ta see you on here like this and still trying ta do your own maintenance. Unfortunately your type is not getting near the chances they used ta get to work on their own rigs. Like say those on a 1965 Ford Mustang or cars of that era. Twas my first car, the 1965 Ford Mustang.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hey, dude
    Yes the Leganza is still alive, testament to Korean car quality, original engine and transmission, 12 plus years old now with about 300K km.
    I am now driving a 2009 Mazda6 GT in Kona blue with light gray leather, 4 cyl of course.
    nice car, excellent steering and handling, roomy and comfy in all aspects, power is adequate only. Only quality issue I saw so far is the bottom door seams are not really sealed properly so I notice some specs of rust starting on the drivers bottom door only. I cleaned and touched up with paint, then used white grease to seal. Note I did not rust proof the car. Seems to be a common issue with Mazda. rust buckets.
    but hey at least I was able to drain and refill the transmission fluid :)
    edited May 2011
    interesting because I am sort of getting interested in the new 2011 Mazda2. I like the metallic apple green color and I would get the 6-speed stick. I guess it bests the new Ford Fiesta in the stick shift smoothness department. Only stickers for around $16,400 for the "premium" Maz2. I doubt I will take that anywhere but I will sort of research the car from afar. Might be a tad small for my wife and I, dunno. Good to hear from you...and take in a live Tragically Hip show for me over there, would you?! Wish they'd come over to the Spokane-Coeur d' Alene, ID, area, during their new tour. That's where we're callin' home now.

• I never even thought of tranny maintenance on my 2.4 EX. I have the 100k bumper to bumper and even brake pads and tires are included.

By the time my '12 is over 100k and no longer in warranty, someone else will be the proud owner. I had so many prob's with my Grand Cher that I am gun-shy of ever doing DIY again.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    2012 toyotas with auto trans have no dipstick to refill although they do have a drain plug. My understanding is that the tranny case has two plugs, one to fill with and one to fill to. for the DIYer, definitly more of a hassle, but with a little more effort and a hand held old fashioned pump which used to be used to fill rear axles, it can be done. They want you to bring it in to service $$. Hope that helps. RR70
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    edited May 2012
    Hey jkobty2 and iluvmysephia1,

Great minds always think alike I guess. Haven't seen hide nor hair of you guys since I donated my beloved 99CDX a few years back. Except for some driver seat wear on the outer bolster, the car still looked great and ran like a top.

Still have my '00 Silver Sonata GLS with 175K going strong. Now my wife has a '12 SX Touring in Satin Metal and is over the moon. She actually preferred both the ride of the SX over the EX and naturally the 2.0T over the 2.4. Didn't have to say anything to her...just let the car do all the talking. Sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Already have 1K and have taken a nice vacation to Perry Cabin on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Parked it next to a Bentley Arnage of all things, in a row of Audis, Mercs, Bimmers, and Caddy CTSs. Had to laugh as the only person (a resort staff member) to remark on any of the cars asked about ours. Hilarious!

The car is averaging 27.7 mpg thus far with it being my wife's daily driver (40mi./day) and the several hundred we put on for the mini-vac.

Great seeing you guys still haunting the Edmunds forums. FYI 'Astrol' is Clarkebar on both the Kia-Forums and OptimaForums websites.

Guess I'll be hanging around here from time to time as well.

Astrol
    Great to hear from you and it's great you're enjoying your HyunKia product!