Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jeepmcdjeepmcd Member Posts: 4
    After the engine is at normal operating temperature when it is at idle the engine shakes like it is missing. This is about 500 rpm. Maybe the rpm's are too low. I haven't had a straight 6 before so I don't know how smooth they are. I definitely will have the dealer check it out.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You have a problem and you've probably correctly identified it. Idle speed should be 750 rpm. If it's lower and the engine shakes it's almost certainly a misfire, probably an ignition or injector problem.

Back to the dealer for you! Definitely a warranty problem.

By the way, an inline six is inherently the smoothest running configuration out there, followed by a V12.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My Unlimited mileage did improve a bit after about 6,000 miles, but not a dramatic amount. It doesn't seem to be as consistent as the Sport is, and is about 1-2 mpg lower than the Sport, though that could be because the Sport is a 5 speed and the Unlimited is an auto. I've got 16,000 miles on her now and we get between 17-19 most of the time. The only time I get above 19 is when I'm going downhill with a tail wind.

By the way, I LOVE having a wireless card in my laptop. We didn't make it as far as we wanted to today, so we stopped somewhere that offers wireless internet access.

And the Unlimited soft top kept us warm on the snowy streets of Las Vegas today (yes, quite a bit of snow!).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jeepmcd:

Hey, WELCOME to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler! And, CONGRATS on that new Jeep!

Sorry you are having a little problem with it. Nothing should interefere with the pure joy of having a new Jeep. I hope whatever is wrong gets fixed soon.

Stay with us and be part of the family here. Tell us all about that new Unlimited.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    I went to another dealer in North Jersey who only sells and repairs Jeep vehicles. They said it could be caused by a variety of things. Vacuum leak, leak in the manifold or something they could not pinpoint without doing alot of costly exploratory work. It is a '97 with 100,000 miles on it. The service guy said it was not worth doing if I could live with the noise. I am lucky to have a another vehicle that I can use(Land Rover LR3)and use the Jeep as a second vehicle. Anything major occurs I will post it on this site.

Thanks again.
  • canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    Hey I was just wondering if my soft-top for my '01 Sport would fit a '04 Rubicon. There is a Rubicon for 22900, but I'm sure I can get him to 19900 and my Sport is paid off. So if I could get a good amount for my Sport,I might consider it. My warranty just expired and I'm at 36000 miles with no real problems to date. For an extra 5-7 thousand I wonder if the Rubicon is worth it. My wife thinks no, but I wonder? Any thoughts.
    I bet your new LR3 makes the TJ seem very crude in comparison.

As for the vacuum leak (an inlet manifold leak counts as vacuum too), it shouldn't take a qualified tech with the right equipment more than twenty minutes to locate it; and it shouldn't take the average unqualified Joe without any specialized equipment more than an hour or so. There's really not much to the vacuum system on a Jeep.
    Is this a new one? If so, an '04 Rubicon for $19,900 sounds like a deal it would be hard to walk away from.
    Yeah, I'm with Mac! How could you NOT buy for that price???

Tom

It's got just under 10,000 miles on it. The only reason I already don't have it is my financial situation. I just built a house and my wife and myself are in school to be teachers so the money isn't exactly flowing if you know what I mean. But, for that price, you can probably see my dilemma. I might go test drive it tomorrow and see what I can get for my Sport. If the payment was palatable, then I just might do it.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Since nobody has mentioned it, I'll bring it up.

If the Edmunds folks are listening; here's a little feedback.

I like the redesign of the site. Reminds me of a certain SPORTS website, but that's OK. Much easier to navigate through now.

-Dan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Dan, even though I'm scratching my head about the Sports reference (ESPN?). If it's another forum, you can keep me in the dark <g>.

People are talking about the good (and the red..er, bad) over in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered...

Steve, Host
    :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Not yet - at least not officially until tomorrow! :-)

tidester, host
    Just wondering if anyone has ripped out the carpeting in their Jeep and had a bedliner sprayed in. If I keep my Sport, which I'm leaning towards, I'd like to do this because my dogs make my jeep stink when their wet and this would solve my problem. Also, would it increase or decrease the value of it? Seem like a good idea to me. Any thoughts?
    Canman:

I was all set to have my Jeep Rhino-lined this past summer, but the TV went out on us, and I couldn't afford to get a new TV and still go on with the Rhino-lining.

It's still on my to do list.

I did a pretty good amount of research, and there seemed to be a consensus of opinion that Rhino-lining was better than the do-it-yourself stuff, like Hercu-liner. Once applied, the Rhino liner will NOT come up.

I was going to have the Rhino-lining done everywhere that there is carpet right now. It was gonna run me $500 or a little more, if I remember correctly, and I had to take everything out of the Jeep and drive it to the guy's shop with only the drivers seat in it. Console had to be out of it, back seat brackets, seat belt brackets in back, etc.

If the guy at the shop was gonna have to do all of that removal and reinstallation of the seats and stuff, he was gonna charge an extra $200.

I hope I can have that done this summer. I also have a doggie who gets that cargo area pretty muddy and full of dog hair. The dog hair sticks to that carpet like glue!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I was looking at the Rhino and Line-X. Aslo, my buddy owns a car stereo/leather/sunroof place and he knows guys who'll do it and I can take everything out at his shop. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. If I can't afford it, I'll probably just swipe it on a card. I figure I'll save money trying to keep it clean in the long run.
    I was wondering if it is normal to have problems getting out of 4 low. We used 4 low yesterday to get up a very snowy hill (could have gotten up it in 4 high but didn't know that at the bottom of the hill). When we got to the top we couldn't get it out of 4 low at all (though it came out this morning after about the 3rd try). This is the second time we've had problems with it. Is there some trick to it with the auto or something? We never had much problem getting in and out of 4 low with the Sport, so it surprises me in the Unlimited.

Thanks for any help!
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I don't think its normal to have problems getting out of 4low, but there is a trick to make it smoother. First, make sure the steering is pointed straight ahead. With the Jeep rolling at about 2-4 mph, put the transmission in Neutral and then make one swift shift from 4low to 2high without stopping in the middle. Mine can be difficult if I shift too slow.

Then again, you may have to have the dealer adjust the linkage. My linkage to the transfer case wasn't set properly from the start. When I did the body lift I had to re-adjust the linkage and since then it shifts from High to Low to High without problems.

-Pete
  • schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    Hey all!

You guys seem more than knowledgeable about the Wrangler.

It's a great vehicle that I've wanted since high school (almost 30 now). I can't wait to get my taxes done this year and get them back so i can get rid of the WORST purchase i ever made, my Eclipse.

I live in NY so i need something like the unlimited for the winter.

I have a couple of easy questions for you Jeepophiles :)

1. Are there any laws against driving Door less?

2. How hard is it to remove the hardtop on an Unlimited?

I look forward to braggin to you guys about my purchase. I just can't wait until April to get it (I'm like a six year old when it comes to waiting).

Take care guys!

p.s. Tom thanks for all the knowledge you've already given me just by reading your advice here.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I had trouble getting in and out of 4-lo with my 2000 automatic. The trick was being in neutral and that little bit of forward motion. After I got the hang of that, no trouble. It seems funny to me you have to have the motion to get it to work. What if you are stuck, or I can imagine off road situations where you can't move.

Terry
    schafudd:

You're welcome, but you should have also gotten lots of good advice from Mac and the rest gang. I guess I'm just more vocal in my love for Jeeps than most. :)

I think you would just have to check the laws in NY about being doorless. Some states have side mirror requirements, but that can be overcome with mirror relocator brackets.

As far as taking the top off, it is a two man job. Even for a standard wheel base Wrangler, the hard top is HEAVY and AWKWARD. The longer top for an Unlimited would be even heavier.

I have the hard top only on my Thelma Jane, and it works out pretty well for me. But, when I take the top off, I try to stay topless all summer. Taking the top off and putting it back on are not jobs that you would want to do every day or two.

Good luck in your pursuit of a Jeep! You will NEVER be sorry if you get one. Ain't nothin' like 'em!!!

Deifinitely keep us posted on your progress, OK? Ask any and all questions that come to mind.

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yikes! You're going have Tom salivating! ;-)

tidester, host
    The Hurricane makes for a good offroad toy:

But I'd prefer the Gladiator as an all round daily driver:

Jeep ® Gladiator Preliminary Specifications:

Vehicle Weight: 4,150 lb (est.)

Length: 205" (5,207 mm)

Wheelbase: 138.4" (3,515 mm)

Front Overhang: 28.3" (718 mm)

Rear Overhang: 38.3" (974 mm)

Width (MAX): 76.6" (1,947 mm)

Height: 74.8" (1,900 mm)

Track, Frt/Rr: 65.6"/66.2"

Bed Length: 5&#146; 8" (1,725 mm)

(midgate expanded) &#150; 6&#146; 8" (2,026 mm)

(expanded w/ tailgate down - minimum) - 8&#146; 11" (2,723 mm)

xxxxxxxxxxEngine: 2.8L 1-4 Turbo Dieselxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part time 4x4; Manual 5-speed Trans.

Suspension:

Front - Solid Axle w/ 5 bar links

Single coil springs

Rear - Solid Axle w/ 5 bar links

Dual Coilover Springs

Ground Clearance - 13.7" (348 mm)

Front/Rear Tire Size: 265/75R18"

Wheel Size: 18" x 8"

I can honestly say that if it was available now, there'd be one in my driveway!
  • ruffryderstangruffryderstang Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at purchasing an 05 Rubicon, any pro's and con's on these? Are they worth the money?
    Don't think you'll find many people dissing the Rubicon here.

How about some more specific questions. Are you wondering about the vehicle in general, or are you thinking of it in comparison to other Wrangler models?
  • oldgoat2oldgoat2 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Paul for the advice on steps. I did a little more research and came across a guy that was unhappy that the suggested bars could not support the weight of the jeep. Beyond my needs, so that did not discourage. I ordered the bars. Will let you know how they work-out. Another one: my daughter is 5'5'', and sits low. I have seen the aluminum seat lift kits available for sale. Any thoughts on those? Also seen plastic versions.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I would DEFINITELY buy a Gladiator. I showed it to my wife a couple of weeks ago and she even liked it-and she usually hates pickup trucks!
    Ruff:

Welcome to this board.

Sounds like you are just in your initial stages of thinkin' Jeep, right? You are considering it along with some other vehicles?

Have you ever owned a short wheel base Jeep? They are unlike any other vehicle, and you have to be a "Jeep person" to like them. There are sacrifices to be made in terms of room, comfort, and fuel economy compared to other vehicels when you own a Wrangler. The regulars here would all say the sacrifices are well worth it for the pure fun that a Jeep brings into your life.

Test drive, read old posts, give it some more thought, then some more specific questions might come to mind. We would all love to "talk Jeep" with you, so you won't have any problem in getting your questions answered here. Ask away!

Oh, the Rubicon is loaded with features that make it more capable offroad. It's up to you whether or not you need those features or want those features. For most people's offroading, the standard Wrangler does fine.

Tom
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have a 97 and my seats already sit up quite a bit. I'm very happy with them and don't need the risers. I think mtngal could address this one, as she has a new Unlimited and is a bit shorter than me and could tell you if they would be worth it (I don't know if she has risers). If I WERE to get them, I'd probably opt for the aluminum ones. I wouldn't want the plastic under me breaking in the event of an accident.

Which bars did you end up ordering? I'm curious. I have the Toys by Troy ones.

I have pictures in my Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ under 97 Wrangler.

-Paul
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    Those rockers look really nice! I had not considered rockers when I first got my Jeep but after a few months of people telling me it's hard to get in while grinding their shoes on my door sill I'm starting to reconsider. That and they really do look great.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    When I bought them, I wanted something that looked nice and was functional. Those rockers made great sense for me.

There are several manufacturers of this style like Toys by Troy (mine), AEV, Poison Spyder, FourXDoctor, and a few others that I know are there, but can't think of the name. :) At the time I ordered, the FourXDoctor ones were new and the Poison Spyder's weren't powdercoated yet.

All are a bit pricy, but the protection they offer the lower rocker is worth it. And, like you said, they look great (better than nerfs IMO).

-Paul
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Sweet!!! But you thing the Wrangler has no storage....
  • oldgoat2oldgoat2 Member Posts: 14
    I went with the Reverse-A-Bar for the added step. I assume they mount lower, and will not require removal of the front splash guard. Again, we are not expecting to get off-road anytime soon with our shiny black 2005, so the clearance is not a concern now...

I hear the more recent models have the seats mounted lower (not sure if that is correct).
    Thanks for the info on the 4 low - we'll try putting the tranny into neutral and see if that helps. If not we'll take it into the dealer - it is still under warranty.

The seating is definitely different than it was in 1998. I prefer the seats in the '98 - they fit me better. I haven't yet purchased a seat lift kit, but I'm planning on it as soon as I get back. I had hesitated because I thought I would go with a separate back support/seat type of thing, but the bottom of the one I have isn't as comfortable at the Unlimited's seat bottom.

I think that the earlier seats offered more lower back support. The new ones are comfortable (not too hard on the bottom but still supportive). The seatbacks seem to be designed for bigger people all the way around, where the '98 seats seem to fit my back perfectly.

Both those concepts are interesting in various ways. That Gladiator is REALLY nice - I'd also buy that in a heartbeat. The other one isn't practical for me - I can't afford a dedicated off-road vehicle.

Since the Rubicon vs. regular Wranglers was brought up - my 2 cents is that they are really nice vehicles and I continue to dream about one. It would cost more to modify a Sport to Rubicon's specs than to buy the Rubicon itself. However, I've been perfectly happy off-roading my current stock Sport and Unlimited and don't feel an overwhelming desire for the extra equipment the Rubicon offers. So for me it isn't cost-effective.
    "Thanks for the info on the 4 low - we'll try putting the tranny into neutral and see if that helps. If not we'll take it into the dealer - it is still under warranty."

MtnGal:

You guys were trying to switch in and out of 4 low without having the tranny in neutral??? Maybe something has changed, but as far as I know, the tranny has always needed to be in neutral to switch in and out of 4 low.

Going into and out of 4 Hi is fine with the tranny in gear, but not for 4 Low.

I could be wrong, and, if so, please correct me someone. Check your owners manual, Harriet. I think it will tell you to have the tranny in neutral and that having the Jeep rolling just a couple miles per hour helps too.

Tom

Tom:

Yeah actually I just started looking at the Rubi. Currently I have an 00 Mustang and have narrowed my search down to 2 cars... A 05 Subaru WRX and the 05 Jeep Rubicon. It's a really hard choice both are in the same price range. With a Jeep no more drag races at Bristol =( haha. Oh and no i've never owned a Wrangler...my mom has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, if I do get one I definately want the short wheel base rubi not the unlimited. Also all the 4 wheel drive vehicles we have had ford, chevy, jeep all have to be in neutral before you can shift in and out of 4 wheel low.
    Ruff:

Hey, a ride in a topless/doorless Jeep on a nice day is just about the ULTIMATE! It's not like riding around in a ragtop car with the top down. It's even BETTER for some reason. Maybe because you sit up nice and high in a Jeep, and with the doors off, well, it's just a feeling you have to experience for yourself to understand just how cool it is.

I owned a 99 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, so I do have a basis for comparison.

Also, if you want to do some offroading, then there is no question that the Jeep is for you. Jeeps are truly amazing as far as what they will do and where they will go.

Tom

Can't you tell this is the first auto we've own in 10 years, and the first auto 4x4 ever? Never had this issue with the 5 speed.

I can understand the WRX and the Wrangler being your two short-listed vehicles - they share an important characteristic. They are both FUN vehicles! And if that is what you are looking for then a short wheelbase is definitely the way to go. Adding all the extras on the Rubi allows you to have fun in more places.

We haven't had any problems with the soft top in the snow, and the Unlimited is definitely sure-footed in the snow. I've even found out tonight that you can put a pair of (relatively) short skis inside the vehicle without problems. But longer skis could be a problem, especially if there was someone in the back seat. Does anyone use a ski rack? This is something completely new to me.
    Yeah, I love my mustang it gets plenty of looks. I just need something that will go in the snow. I'm hoping to go test drive a 05 dark blue rubicon that a local dealer has, it was raining today so i'll have to wait until this weekend.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Steve, yeah I was talking about ESPN.com I think it resembles it a little.

Gladiator - That is one Bad [non-permissible content removed] looking truck! I hope that baby is at the NYC auto show. I'm gonna try to go this year. It's fun to go to, but the crowds are INSANE.

The only chance for me to go would be on a weekend day (the same time the entire city of NY decides to go).

-Dan
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yes,they are.
    What are some good websites to look at Wrangler Accessories like light bars, brush guards, etc?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    www.quadratec.com

www.jeepline.com

and ebay are my favorites.

our jeep club www.trjc.com has a classifieds section, many of the club websites are a good place to look for toys.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    A Gladiator in Jeep red with black trim, tinted windows and with those tires-lovely! J
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    I have a '97 Wrangler with a hard top and was wondering what years from '97 Wranglers up to 2005 would the top also fit.

Thanks for any information.
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    We have to convince DCX to build this truck!

Here is the reply I got from Jeep when I asked them to build it:

"Thank you for your recent email expressing interest in one of our

concept vehicles.

Unfortunately, because this vehicle is still in the concept stage, there

is no pricing or production data available. We appreciate your comments

and suggestions. Feedback like yours is paramount to the longevity of

the Jeep brand.

Many of our concept vehicles have made it to market, such as the

Plymouth Prowler, Dodge Viper, and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. I have

documented your interest and will forward it to the product planning

department.

If you have further questions, please feel free to use the reply link

below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you."

There is a Forum for the fans of this truck here:

kosmos, "Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!" #, 22 Nov 2004 8:37 pm

Also you can contact Jeep about building this truck (as I did) here:

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp?screenName=newV- ehicle&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

If enough people contact Jeep and DCX to show their interest in the Gladiator, we could have an awesome new Jeep to play with!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I would have thought there would have been more than 18 posts about it over in the Gladiator forum - I guess the word's not really out about the concept yep.

It would nicely match the '49 Jeep truck front grill hanging over my garage door :-)

Steve, Host
  • schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Tom

I'll look into the laws here but i think NY does have the side mirror law. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. As soon as i get my taxes done i'll be hunting out a desent deal. I'm hoping if i go in with a bunch of Edmunds.com material i'll be able to get a decent price.

Take care all