Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    sumr616,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would definitely recommend setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance; they maybe able to assist the dealer as well as document your concerns. If you would like to do this please email me your complete contact infomraiton including address and good number to reach you, VIN, involved dealer, and current mileage. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sumr616sumr616 Member Posts: 90
    Drove to the dealer today, couldnt get them on the phone after trying for 30 minutes. I only had so much time until I was supposed to take the rental back, and they didn't call with an update this morning like she said she would. They said only one mechanic heard the noise yesterday, and he has no idea what it was. It wouldn't make it again this morning, so every once in a while they are just going to gather a few mechanics and listen to it start a few times trying to hear the noise again. ...joy. I still have the rental. Will update again when there is a diagnosis. It does make me feel better that they heard the noise once and acknowledge it.

Christina, Thank you for the offer. Can you tell me where I can find more information about "starting a case"? I don't know anything about the process and I'm sure you understand I don't want to give out my info to just anybody! Thank you again.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    To contact her just click on 'gmcustsvc' in her post. You will find her email address and you can send her the info she asked for.
    sumr616,
    Starting a case will document your concerns. Your agent can also work with the dealer to try to resolve your issues. If at anytime someone asks you for personal information and you are unsure, I recommend speaking with one of the hosts and they will verify my idenity. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Well, I picked up my car today. NOT fixed. They told me that although they DID hear the loud noise on startup:
    1. Only one mechanic heard it and he isn't sure of the cause
    2. No error codes
    3. They couldn't duplicate the noise again, so that other mechanics could hear it
    4. They deem the car is safe to drive
    5. I should continue driving it as normal until it happens a few more times and on a more regular basis and note the conditions (if the a/c or radio is on, and if it's on an incline)

He told me that sometimes if your car is on an incline, the oil goes to one side of the engine and when you start it back up you can hear a knocking as it kind of "adjusts" while starting. I've never heard of this before, have you? (I'm not very engine savvy though) I don't think it sounds like a "knock." It's different. AND my car has never been on an incline when it has happened. It's been in my driveway (maybe 15 deg incline?) and at a gas station (no incline whatsoever).

After telling me all of this, I said "so it's happened 4 times now in the last 7 days...that's not a regular basis to you?" he seemed apologetic, I mean, I understand it doesn't happen every time it starts, it's random and they have no ideas, they tried a cold start and it didn't work, they can't think of a way to encourage it to happen. But I feel like they just kind of wanted to give up.

I also asked if they found anything out about the time my car stalled because he didn't mention it and he said "well, it only happened once, right?" there is nothing in the report that states they looked into it at all, it just says, "unable to duplicate, no error codes found." He also had nothing to say about the ticking in the dash that I've heard daily, and I noticed it isn't even mentioned in the report. Not encouraging.

So I drove away, at least I didn't have to keep driving a rental that smells bad and made me sneeze. Drove to the grocery store, about a mile away. Was inside for about 20 minutes. Started the car, and I HEARD THE NOISE!! Radio on, A/C on, in parking lot with minimal incline. It's 90+ degrees everyday, the a/c is never off. I'm giving it one more chance. After the next time I hear it, I'm taking it back. And I'm going to use my phone to record the startup every time I get in the car now. Will update when there is more to share.

Do you think it might be the fan for the A/C hitting something? Anything like that?
  • arveejayarveejay Member Posts: 9
    Google PIP4716A and you will find the document. It is a known issue and can be fixed by the right dealer.
    edited May 2011
    Thank you ray80. I managed to fond a post in another forum where a guy posted the full bulletin as well as a video of his car making the noise-sounds familiar! Will try to get it recorded on my phone as well and will print out the bulletin to take with me to the dealer. I will definitely post in a few days about any progress.

Thank you, everyone who has helped me here. It may just be another day for you guys but it's meant a lot to me. Thank you. And enjoy the weekend! Hopefully you have great weather where you are.
    Thank you arvee, I did manage to find it this morning! I'm hoping it's the same issue I'm experiencing and will do my best to get it resolved.
    edited May 2011
    Actually, one more question. If the pip4716a is the same problem Im experiencing, will I be doing more damage to the engine by driving it until I take it back in?
  • tanastanas Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem (2010 Equinox), and they (dealership) were not able to resolve it. So after 6-7 attempts, and a lemon law case with the BBB Auto line I got a new 2011 Equinox.
    BUT unfortunately, recently I heard the same noise and I will, be visiting the dealership in my earliest convenience.
    P.S. Whenever you have a chance, record with a camera. The video is so, so powerful evidence!
    Oh bummer! That sounds very discouraging. I've been writing down every time it happens, and this morning caught the sound and recorded on my phone. Did they try any fixes? Or just unable to determine anything? Google that bulletin someone referenced, pip4716a. This linkherehas a short video of the sound. Somebody else posted it. It sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Is it the same sound as yours was? And if so, the repair bulletin is posted below the video, did your guys try any of those remedies? It looks like the bulletin was sent in Feb, so maybe they didn't know the cause/repair for your 1st equinox.

Don't you wish things could just be as simple as they are supposed to be?">link title
    They replaced few things (cam, valves, .....) and the engine (on the end). The first time they replaced the cam (GM engineer suggestion) and everything was good. 5-6 weeks later same problem ! GM knows about this problem (models 2009 - 2011) - not happening on all vehicles. I have an actual copy of this bulletin #PIP4716A. The original is PIP4716 from 2009.
    Same noise (sound) !
    Now I just need to caught the sound on a video?
    On one thing I never got a clear answer:Can this problem cause any damage on the engine (inside), other than lowering the mpg and loss of power on the engine.
    You know, I was JUST thinking this past week that my mileage has gone down quite a bit since this noise started! I had been getting 22-23 city, but now I'm getting about 19 avg. I've been trying to watch it to see if it was my driving that changed it, but I really don't think it's me.

My husband just deployed, and we bought this car because mine is probably about to explode and I needed something reliable. I REALLY hope this doesn't become a problem like yours did! I hope they fix it and it's done with!
  • leeinkoleeinko Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2011 Equinox, after 3 weeks of ownership I noticed that the transmission was slipping. While driving to the local dealership, RPMs got to 6-7,000 before shifting from 1st to 2nd. Upon my arrival at the dealership, I informed the service manager of the problem and he said he would look into it.

Two days passed and I spoke with the service manager again, he stated that the transmission was indeed messed up and they would try to correct the problem by taking the transmission apart and seeing what the problem was. Once they thought the problem was fixed they performed a test drive once again, only to find out this time that the transmission was slipping again only now it was between 3rd and 4th gear.

A week has gone by and I am still without my new vehicle, what options do I have?
    tanas,

Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • roger1655roger1655 Member Posts: 12
    I've had my 2011 for 1 week and when the transmission is cold there's a distinct hesitation between 2nd and 3rd. After the vehicle warms up everything seems to be ok. I'm surprised at this because GM transmissions were always very smooth in the past. My Toyota had a 5 speed and shifted very smoothly, cold or warm. With the reports of issues like this I hope this isn't a inherent design problem.
    leeinko,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    tanas,

Have you asked the dealership if this problem will cause damage on the engine? If the dealership is unsure, have them ask our Technical Assistance department. By chance, have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    My dealer replaced the cam phasers Friday and the noise is back and worse Tuesday.
    I have recorded the noise several times and posted the movies on youtube. My car is going back to the dealer again with 2100 miles on it. I was told they had no idea what to do about it but I did send them a link to the youtube video and they can't deny it is not normal. This engine will not hold together very long making this noise. It sounds like the pistons are trying to change holes.
    arveejay,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    edited June 2011
    Right now I have 3 customer service people, (Christina,Tricia and Steve), 1 guy at GM (Mike) (supposedly a midwest Rep)with a case number already issued to me, along with my dealer and his 2 mechanics working on it as of now. What more can you do? Do you know someone that actually cares enough to get this thing fixed? Can you convince me not to persue a lemon law buyback? :lemon: That's about where I'm at.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jcFCaG7sUU
    Arveejay- my car is making a very similar noise to your car, it doesn't sound as bad as yours in the youtube video yet, but very close. They finally decided today that they "found the problem" and are going to be replacing the cam phasers- they are on backorder right now and have to look for them at other dealers on Monday (not sure why they have to wait until MONDAY to check other dealers...)

I'm curious arvee- I know you pointed out the PIP4716a to me...I'm assuming this is what they decided the car's problem was, did they ONLY replace the cam phasers, or did they also replace the solenoids AND change the oil, as recommended in the bulletin?

My dealer only told me that they were going to replace the cam phasers, so if that is all that yours did, I feel like I should push for more, as the bulletin talks about more. Thanks for any help/info you can give...
    The dealer replaced the cam phasers and the 2 bolts only. They did nothing else. They said you only replace the solenoids and change the oil if debris is found and there was none. The noise is worse after the repair than before.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll talk to them more on Monday and see if I can get them to do everything listed in the bulletin. I'll throw out the word "lemon" and see if that helps....

Keep us updated, please...sounds like that's the only way we can get it worked out.
    Since it happened 5-6 time (no pattern), I wasn't able to record a video for proof. Once I have a video, I will repeat the same process.
    Since you are a GM Customer Service representative, why you don't ask and get a detailed answer, whether or not, this noise, causes a damage on the engine !!!!! - So far nobody told me !!!!
    I had the same experience (exactly the same noise)! Just work with BBB Auto line and file the claim ! I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they will fix your car. I have over 10 videos from my previous 2010 equinox. I just need some free time and I will upload everything on you tube. Good luck !
    roger1655,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with the service staff at your dealer? Can you please email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    arveejay,

Could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • richrav98richrav98 Member Posts: 1
    I am lucky enough to work for a wonderful company which provides its employees with a fleet vehicle free of charge to use to perform our job duties. After 65,000 miles my company replaces that car with brand new one. Two months I was approaching my 65,000 mile limit on my old vehicle, my company notified me that it was time for me pick my new company vehicle. They gave me the option between a 2011 foreign made vehicle or the 2011 Chevy Equinox. I have never owned an American car before and being born in the 1980’s I was always told by my peers that American Cars and Trucks were un reliable and poorly built compared to there Japanese counterparts. But with everything that has happened with the American auto industry in the last two years I felt the need to support our countries auto manufactures in there time of need. So, I decided to go with the 2011 Chevy Equinox. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised on how nice the Equinox was when I picked it up at the dealership. This last Saturday I was driving down the street and the car suddenly stalled out as I was driving. I was able to pull to the side of the road put the vehicle in park and was able to start the car again. Two days later I was parked in a parking lot checking an email on my Blackberry my engine was running and once again the Equinox stalled out again and the check engine light came on. I could not believe it!!! My brand new truck which is a month old today has its check engine light on!!! My worst fears about what I have been told about the quality of an American vehicle has come true!

I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem in which their 2011 Chevy Equinox in the first few months they owned the car. In which the vehicle suddenly stalls out. If so what was your mechanics diagnosis? Like I said before it is a company vehicle so I do a lot of driving. The car currently has a little over 4000 miles on it and is exactly 31 days old. I am bringing it back to the dealership in two days to see if they can fix this problem. I hope this problem can be resolve quickly and this is the last time something like this happens. Hopefully I did not make the wrong decision supporting General Motors and I do not have a 2011 lemon on my hands?
    edited June 2011
    Yes. Mine stalled once in a parking lot, going about 15 mph. No check engine light though. It happened in our 4th week of ownership. MY dealer told me "well, it only happened once, right? Don't worry about it unless it becomes a problem." He shrugged it off like nothing, and didn't look into it.

Unacceptable in 30 days of owning a car, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY since they have my car right now for the noise on start-up.

They are supposed to be replacing the cam phasers on mine tomorrow. I will update in two days or so with how it goes.
  • lockdown1243lockdown1243 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011 Chevrolet Equinox in December of 2011 as a replacement vehicle for my wife's car which was totaled in an accident. I've been a car owner for almost 15 years now and I have always shyed away from American made vehicles for Honda/Mazda products. That is, until now. My wife and I purchased the Equinox for it's decent value and room for our 2 children. Three days after buying the vehicle with only 60 miles on the odometer, the Check Engine light came on. The dealership stated the O2 sensor was bad on the vehicle and replaced it. This however, was no where near the end of our problems with this car.

Almost immediately after getting the vehicle back, we noticed the car was shifting VERY roughly. Not just a little rough, but like throw you around in your seat rough. We took the car to Hardy Chevrolet in Dallas, GA. They told us "The computer in your car says your systems are fine, we can't do anything about it". They refused to even test drive the car. They gave us the car back. My wife and I drove the car some more and the problems with shifting became more frequent and obvious. Now, when I accelerated the engine would lag really bad with 0 power, the RPM's would sometime rev up around the 7,000 mark then the transmission would shift very hard. The odometer reading was somewhere around 2,000 miles by this point. We took the car back to the dealership where they said they would test drive it. I wrote down the mileage on the odometer prior to dropping it off and it was the same when I picked it back up. Kind of hard to test a transmission when you don't drive the car.

We went to our salesman (who has been excellent) at Hardy Chevrolet, who contacted his manager. The manager told us to keep driving the car to see if we could get it to have the same stuff happen. We brought the vehicle to a different dealership (who actually drove the car) on two different occasions and were met with the same excuses. Today, they told my wife the car shifting hard is normal. I've driven everything from 4 cylinder foreign cars to V-8 Police Interceptor (I'm a police officer) and this kind of shifting is not anywhere near normal. After more months of the same problem and frankly feeling completely defeated, the problem is getting worse. One thing I have noticed is the problem occurs much more often in higher temps (80-95 degree temps) when the engine is warm.

I can tell you not only will I never under any circumstances buy another Chevrolet, I will be going back to my Hondas/Mazdas. I literally have taken this car to the shop more after 13k miles then I have all my other vehicles combined. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and I plan on filing a lemon law claim through Georgia for this issue.
  • triciag1triciag1 Member Posts: 6
    The dealer I purchased my Equinox from has arranged to buy back/swap out my vehicle. It cost me $900 more for the same exact vehicle ~ not sure why I had to pay for GM's error. At this point Im just happy to be out of the other vehicle and into my new one. I just hope and pray this one will give me many many years of enjoyment !! Thanks Tricia
  • triciag1triciag1 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2011
    HI I was having the same transmission problems with my 2011 Equinox that I purchased in March of this year. It was also jerking and down shifting and losing power. I called GM and complained they didnt do much, thankfully my dealer handled it and was able to swap out my vehicle. To be totally honest I wish they would have just given me back my money. I too wish I had bought a Mazda or Honda. We choose to buy American to support our great country, and this is what we get - out of the 2 months I had the vehicle it was in shop 23 days, a new transmission put in it, and some module changed. We also had to go on vacation in a rental car !! It cost me $900 more to swap for the exact same vehicle. I hope my new Equinox doesnt have any problems. I wish you luck with yours !!
    triciag1,

Glad to hear everything has worked out for you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    richrav98,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. By chance, have you contacted GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
    lockdown1243,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • mr2dispatchmr2dispatch Member Posts: 3
    I am currently dealing with the same issues. I purchased my Equinox at the end of March, by the time I even got the customer service call the car was jolting at a stop, but not all the time. I did mention this and told them that if it happened again I would call the service department. Of course it happened again, this time it dyed as well, no engine light. I did take it straight to the service department so they could put it on the computer, it did register, it had a cam problem. All they did was clear it, said hopefully it will reset and not be a problem and sent me on my way. Within two weeks it was back in the shop. After 8 days in the shop, they replaced the oxegyn sensor in the exhauste. Two weeks later, driving down the road it just dyed. It went back in the shop yesterday, so I am waiting to hear from the dealership now. My Equinox has about 5,300 miles on it currently, I don't think I should have problems like this.
    When I bought new for the peace of mind of security, due to the fact that I am on the highway early of morning and sometimes very late in the night.

I am very curious to learn your diagnose, please update when you can.
    This at apparently has many problems with the cam parts. I just had the cam phase actuators replaced on mine this week. And Ive read on other forums as well that there are many others going through the same experiences. My actuators were replaced for being "noisy" and making the engine sound like a diesel on startup, the noise would last for about 3 seconds. They said the actuators were not parking properly, due to an electrical issue.

My car did not have any jolting though, just the intermittent loud noise on startup, and it had stalled completely while driving about 10 mph in a parking lot once. Just once though. Loud noise would happen every few times I started the car.

I've also read that the fixes for the loud noise on startup only worked for a short time, so if it's all related to the cam, I'd be watchful and take it in asap ID your problems start again. Good luck!
    mr2dispatch,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me directly.

Thank you,
    I would like to contact Kent Scott, can you help me with that? I have tried to get him just through the customer service line, however, they can not connect me.
    I have contacted Kent Scott, I did not realize he was at the same dealership my car is at. I am hoping to get my issues resolved and my car back. Time of course will tell. Thanks
    mr2dispatch,
    Please let me know how things go for you. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • islaguyislaguy Member Posts: 19
    Hi sumr616

I also have been dealing with the same startup racket in my 2011 Terrain.The Terrain went in for repairs and work was done with the cam phasors,threee days later the racket was back.Car is now again at the dealers and I got a call from them Friday after dropping the car off Thursday that they are waiting on GM.

">link titlehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButvovoM1rc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

2nd time

link title
  • blackedoutnoxblackedoutnox Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

After reading everyone's issues, I'm having the same ones. I bought my car April 1, 2011 and started to have issues around mid-May, at the time I only had 2800 miles on the car. The issue started as a loud rattling noise when I started the Equinox up. I took it to the dealership and they came back with it was faulty phasers; so they replaced the camshaft position exhaust actuator, bolts, filter, and oil. All these things got replaced on June 10, 2011. Got my car back and everything seemed great. I went out yesterday(6/11/10) to get some coffee and the car stalled out FOUR times, I didn't even get out of my neighborhood! When the car stalled out, no warning lights came on..it just stalled out. So the car is getting towed to the shop this morning. I'm worried the shop won't be able to replicate the issue like some people have already stated. :(
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm definitely worried that this is going to turn into an on-going issue...
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I have 9121 miles on my 2011 4-cylinder. It does everything the way it should plus it is quieter than my 08 Impala LTZ. My brother has a simular Terrain with no problems and has more than 13000 miles. If I needed to, I would buy anouther tomorrow.
    Makes me feel much better that some people do not have to go through what alot of us do.I hope to say the same thing ONE day.
    I would feel much better if I had received one of the engines that were properly assembled with non defective parts. It also would have been nice if I could have just driven and enjoyed the new car without having to keep taking it back for a repair that nobody knows how to fix.
    Yea,my second time back to the dealers for the same situation and so far it has been there 7 days this time and 5 days first time.Spoke with Dealer yesterday late and the word was they tightened the compressor which was loose to the block,cleaned and inspected selonoids and changed oil.So you would figure car was done....right?...well so far no call today and half the day is over.More problems????????
  • alois69alois69 Member Posts: 3
    I too have had the infamous 3 second "Death Rattle" upon starting. I only have 1300 miles on the LTZ and I am disheartened since I had a bad 6 months with a bad Chevy Cruze. Anything we can do to prevent future occurrences? Change Oil? Have the engine examined by my dealer? Must they hear the noise? Since there seems to be a pattern of this engine startup noise issue, with the cam, why not replace the potential defective parts?? Thanks and wish me luck. GM has drained me of thousands of dollars, since I was out of equity in my Cruze, I had to pay big time to get rid of the transmission nightmare.
    arveejay,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved technical assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service