Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• whitneyleewhitneylee Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I have a 2011 Equinox. I purchased it with a salvage title; however, it only had cosmetic damage before I bought it. In the past six months, it has sporadically not started about 5-6 times. There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to when it does not start, and it has never happened twice in a row. When this happens, I'll turn the key and all lights will come on inside like normal, but instead of starting, only a clicking noise will be made. If I keep turning the key, the clicking noise will eventually turn to a noise that sounds more and more like the car is going to start, and then eventually it starts (it usually takes about 15 minutes of turning the key for it to finally start). Then, it doesn't happen again for about 3 weeks to a month. Today, however, it happened, and the battery went dead in the process of me trying get it started (i.e. while I was turning the key). It took much longer than the normal 15 minutes and even then the car didn't start and the battery died instead. I jump-started the vehicle, and then it started right up. The "check engine" light has also come on this time (it has never come on after previous times when I had issues starting the vehicle), but because of the holidays most places are closed so I don't know what the light is on for yet. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the problem? It seems like it could be a bad battery, but my gut feeling is that a bad battery is too simple of a problem!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning whitneylee,
    We're sorry that you're having these starting troubles with your Equinox. What is your game plan for getting this looked into? If you were thinking about working with a dealership and wanted for us to check into anything further, we're available to you. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ohmyheadachesohmyheadaches Member Posts: 8
    About the not starting issue: They replaced the camshaft intake thing that was sticking open. Then they replaced the stretch bolts at valve assembly, but reported they replaced the valve assembly. Who knows what they really did, but replace valve assembly shows on CarFax report. Within 4 days of all that work, i went out to start it, and it wouldn't start. I called and pitched a Texas red-headed hissy fit and they finally sent someone to try and jump it off. Transferred me to Service Mgr in the process, and he again started in on Premium Brand of gas and using Eco (because it causes the car to drive differently...I call BS). I told him they replaced problems found, and now it won't start. Nothing left ON in the car...no doors ajar. It just wouldn't start. The service adviser had me put my phone on speaker and let him listen. He said it might be the timing had stretched out. Said it happens sometimes when they do the repairs they did. I got it jumped, had it tested somewhere else with no codes returned, and promptly drove to Honda and traded it in on a Pilot EX. Best decision ever. Check to see if timing is involved. Mine was just that the battery lost power for some unknown reason.
  • blb45blb45 Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Equinox downshifts into fourth when manual shift is selected at highway speed. This seems unusual and is probably unsafe, however a service representative at the dealership said it is normal and there is no way to reprogram the transmission to stop it from downshifting every time I shift into manual. Do you know how to deal with this issue?
  • bob2560bob2560 Member Posts: 8
    The service rep is correct. It's in the owner's manual and shop manual. Why do you find it necessary to drive an automatic transmission in the manual mode at highway speeds?
  • blb45blb45 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks bob2560 for your input. Manual shifting to a lower gear is useful on downward slopes instead of applying the brakes. Of several GM models with this kind of transmission that I have driven, this is the only one preset to downshift into fourth. I hoped for a software upgrade to reprogram the transmission. blb45
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2013
    "TipTronic" shifting: It is a gear range selector. You can not pick a specific gear to drive in...just the range of gears. You can change the range by using the "+" and "-" toggle.

From the manual:

Manual Mode
    Electronic Range Select (ERS) Mode

ERS or manual mode allows for the selection of the range of gear positions. Use this mode when driving downhill or towing a trailer to limit the top gear and vehicle speed.
    The shift position indicator within the Driver Information Center (DIC) will display a number next to the M indicating the highest available gear under manual mode and the driving conditions when manual mode was selected.

To use this feature:
    1. Move the shift lever to M(Manual Mode).
    2. Press the plus/minus button on the shift lever, to increase or decrease the gear range available.
    When shifting to M(Manual Mode), the transmission will shift to a preset lower gear range. For this preset range, the highest gear available is displayed next to the M in the DIC.
    See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5-24 for more information.
    All gears below that number are available to use. For example, when 4 (Fourth) is shown next to the M, 1 (First) through 4 (Fourth) gears are shifted automatically. To shift to 5 (Fifth) gear, press the + (Plus) button or shift into D (Drive).
    M(Manual Mode) will prevent shifting to a lower gear range if the engine speed is too high. If vehicle speed is not reduced within the time
    allowed, the lower gear range shift will not be completed. Slow the vehicle, then press the - (Minus) button to the desired lower gear
    range.
    While using the ERS, cruise control can be used.
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    A salvage title is not due to only cosmetic damage; the vehical was found to be a total loss by last owners insurance carrier in another state or country ie Flood, Fire Etc.
  • michwoodmichwood Member Posts: 3
    Posted in December about all my issues with my 2011 Nox. Took it in, again. After they drove it and used a lot of my gas, they couldn't find a problem. Don't know why it stalled or why it hesitates after stopping. Since then.... It continues to hesitate (not a good feeling when pulling out into traffic with your children in the back seat) and now it just decides not to crank. Oh wait... Now it cranks.... Oh well now it won't. Can you feel my frustration. My interpretation of what Dealership told me is... We won't be able to fix it until it breaks down. What a great idea for a working mom with two children. Can't wait to trade this in. We will lose money, but I can't keep doing this. I can't afford this vehicle and its problems. Very disappointed!
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Member Posts: 21
    I can't imagine why GM would not want to make us all happy and stop the bleeding. They don't seem to get it! The social media highway is getting wider and the sound of traffic stronger. GM is walking in the middle of the road, and they have their backs to the headlights!
  • michwoodmichwood Member Posts: 3
    Took Nox in again. They have ordered a fuel pump module. I am def not a car expert, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the stabilitrak and steering service lights that came on after not cranking. It sound more like the problem I was having the entire 2012 year that they could never figure out. (Or were they just putting it off? makes me wonder) Who knows. Goal for this week= trade it in and start over with something other than a Chevy.
  • firstnoxfirstnox Member Posts: 12
    Let us know what you get on the trade-in. You would thnk GM/Chevrolet would start doing a financial analysis on what this is costing them in non-billable resources. Or is obsolesence now buid into the cost of building a car.

GM - wake up!
  • suevensueven Member Posts: 79
    I will do everything in my power to make sure any person I come in contact with for the rest of my life will never buy another GM product. My truck is at the dealer as we speak getting a new engine.. this is not what I signed up for when leasing this vehicle....The offer of the day was 2000 credit towards another one of their pieces of crap.....just terminate they lease and move on.....
    Social media here I come - it will be my life long duty to make sure every one with an Equinox is made aware of the engine problem and demand action!!!
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    WOW...I have had some issues as well; owned my 2010 4cyl 50000 mi Nox for the last 40 months and I'm really rather pleased with this SUV and Dealer service. Bashing GM will not solve your vehical issues; be glad you have a warranty; JUST LET GM Dealer make repairs. I have not had one issue getting "MY" Warranty repairs made to my Nox and Always offered a "free" loaner at the Dealer.....I have a difficult time understanding why some consumers have such outragious "service issues" with these GM warranty issues / matters. Being said; I will purchase my 2nd Chevy Nox when the 2014 Equniox hits the street this fall; this is a safe vehical smart purchase for the money!
    I would agree except this vehicle is unsafe and has left me stranded with my kids.... next stop class action law suit! Only saving grace is responsive service department,,,,,I am luckier than most! 10 more months until I can give the piece of crap back - hopefully I dont get killed from now til then. Any one interested in starting a class action law suit?
    They offered me a lousy 2000 credit towards another one of their pieces of crap....
    any interest in starting a class action law suit? Only takes 3 of us....
    My truck is getting a new engine - what new car needs a new engine after 45k miles? Own up to this design flaw and let people out of their leases or provide replacements for those who bought this piece of junk!!
    So much for buying american - my lifes goal - to tell everyone I know to stay away from GM!!!
  • keyshakeysha Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm having some of the same problems I have a 2011 with only 17,700 miles. My car cut off 3 times while I was driving the vehicle is jerking while driving and it's making a loud noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me I need a Timing chang and 2 valves for a new car? I would like to be in on this law suite as well.
  • sma1sma1 Member Posts: 20
    I would definitely be interested in a class action law suit! I traded and all they gave me was $3000... my2011 equinox was consuming oil and stalling along with other numerous problems. My truck had been in the shop numerous times and they couldnt figure out what was wrong. It took the right mechanic to notice durning an oil change that there was only a quart of oil in my truck. They were going to put a new motor in it. I did not want a new vehicle that had been ripped to pieces. Not what I signed up for. I was 18 months into the vehicle. I put $1500 cash down too. So in the long run I was almost $10, 000 paid out on this vehicle between my down payment and monthly payments. NowmI'm starting all over with a new loan. I hate GM. I can not believe they get away with this because this is a serious problem.They are making money doing this to people. And we are the ones loosong big $$$$ BECAUSE THEY THROW THAT VEHICLE BACK ON THE LOT AND SCREW THE NEXT PERSON. My story goes on and on so I will stop here.
  • keyshakeysha Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm having some of the same problems I have a 2011 with only 17,700 miles. My car cut off 3 times while I was driving the vehicle is jerking while driving and it's making a loud noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me I need a Timing chang and 2 valves for a new car? I would like to be in on this law suite as well.
  • skeet7skeet7 Member Posts: 10
    I'm building a case and would love to hear your experience with your Nox?
    Everyone seems to be having the same issues: cam sensors cause hesitation and eventual breakdown, then transmission software causes hard shifting and eventual breakdown. My dealership has, thus far, fixed these problems, without recurrence. I am having some other minor trouble now with acceleration, but will know more after another tank of gas. If it continues, I will take it back. Keep me posted, I would love to get a 2012 with the new improvements, but without a loss.
    edited January 2013
    When I would be sitting at a stop light and the light turned green I would accelerate and push the pedal to the floor and nothing would happen...my truck had stalled. Another time I was backing into a parking spot and I put my truck in reverse...nothing happened...my truck had stalled. I would put my truck in drive and it would jump forward. Turning to get onto the expressway ramp...my truck stalled. Yet the dealership kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my truck. Once time after it being in the shop, a week after I got it back the check engine light went on...I believe thats when they replaced one of the 5 sensors. All the work done on my truck was done by Bill Jacobs Chevrolet in Joliet Illinois so they have record of the work done on my truck. It got to the point that they gave me rentals free of charge because this was a continuing problem. I will paste my previous comments that I have posted here at Edmunds recently as some of my posts have different bits and pieces as to what they did to my truck...this has been extremely aggravating experience, I've spent many hours waiting for my truck to be fixed, time and gas spent driving to and from the dealer dropping off my truck and picking up a rental (again free of charge). I even googled the stalling issues and found codes others had yet they knew nothing about them and could not find any bulletins regarding stalling which is shocking to me as this is an obvious problem with these vehicles.

Below are some of the multiple posts I have entered here on Edmunds.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ------
    My dealership did all my maintenance, replaced cellinoids,a faulty fuel pump, 5 sensors... The list goes on. And it continued to stall out. GM is useless.... It is really sad that a "made in the USA" company will not back their vehicles. I had multiple rental vehicles free is charge through my dealer because they couldn't figure out what was wrong... I spoke to GM twice and the district manager who I went in circles with completely discounting my complaints with her own justification.... Which was basically telling me that there was no proof! REALLY...the mechanics finally discovered my motor was consuming oil! She still had the nerve to argue and I finally hung up on her. Excuse my French... But the district manager was a complete [non-permissible content removed]! Oh she did her job well! She managed to make GM money by giving me only $3000 toward a new vehicle....and I'm at a loss of $8000 (which is in their pockets because I lost a year and a half of payments and had to start a new loan all over again). Great for GM...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - --------

I've had all my oil changes done by the dealer and it has been in the shop numerous times. My motor is consuming oil. I called GM and they asked if i could recreate it stalling. Ummmm nooooo... It does it when it feels like it. My dealership that because of the low oil that there is low pressure which is causing the truck to shut down...something to do with the cam actuator Because i can't recreate this issue GM offered me a years worth of free maintenance... Whoopy doo...

I've got 18 months of aggravation and monthly payments totaling over $8000, and my $1500 down payment into this vehicle. The dealer said they cant give me back much because they will loose on the resale... Okaaaay...and what about the $9500 I've lost? They don't care about their customers. this last time i had it in...8 weeks after my oil change done by Chevy...there was 1 quart of oil left in my truck. So now they have acknowledged something is wrong with my motor.

I'm trying to trade my equinox in...i don't want this piece of junk any longer. I don't care if they put a new motor in it or not. My truck will no longer be factory. The dealer tells me that GM will probably only give me $3000 for my trouble to be applied to a new vehicle.... What an insult considering all the money I have paid towards this vehicle. Now because of this junk vehicle that everyone is having the same exact problems with...i now have to add 2 more years to paying for a replacement vehicle. I'm seriously thinking about getting a lawyer, contacting the state to make a claim.... I don't know why Chevy is getting away with doing this to all of us that bought the 4 cylinder....i need to find out what my legal rights are.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -------

I went in a vicious circle with a district manager who was very unprofessional. Its a joke ad they refuse to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with the vehicle. If you Google "Chevy stalling" you will see an overwhelming amount of complaints regarding stalling. Its amazing how Chevy gets away with this. I finally did in fact cut my loss and trading the vehicle in as it was discovered that the motor was consuming oil therefore causing the motor to loose pressure which was causing the stalling. I've paid in over $8000 in car payments in the 18 months I've had this vehicle along with $1500 of my own cash down payment. All's GM was willing to give me was $3000... I look at it this way...either I do this or wait till I hit 100.000 miles and this vehicle take a crap on me after my warrant expires. Yes they were willing to put a new motor in... But you know... I bought this vehicle factory and I want the motor to stay factory and not have it ripped out and disassembled... This is not what I paid for. I wish you luck... And pay attention to your oil as I discovered it to be down to a dangerously low one quart with no oil light lighting signaling it was low...when I took it in for an oil change it was discovered which helped diagnose the stalling issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -------

GM will respond and run circles around you. My 2011 equinox needed a new motor because it was consuming oil...and multiple other problems ranging from sensors, cellinoid, cam, fuel pump, etc. I bought this vehicle brand new and I refuse to have my brand new motor pulled apart. So I traded...the most GM WOULD GIVE ME WAS $3000....i put $1500 cash down and 18 months worth of payments totaling$8000 onto this vehicle...the $3000 basically added insult to injury. So basically I lost $6500 and gained 28 months more of a truck payment. The district manager actually had the nerve to fight with me and I finally hung on her. She did her job well...she gained the company another sale by ripping me off.

Oh and as far as Sarah the GM responder to all our complaints... I wonder how she feels at the end of the day after acting concerned and lying to all of us...OR maybe she is just a computer responding...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -----

Oh I took a huge hit. Trade in was $16,000. GM gave me an addition
  • cl1093cl1093 Member Posts: 1
    Background: 2011 Equinox 2.4L bought new in Nov 2010.

On the way home from work, the car started stumbling and the reduced power/ service stabilitrack screen began flashing. I was finally able to make it home and had to have the car towed to the dealership. I am very disappointed that a 2011 model with only 52,873 miles can no longer be considered dependable! But my real concern has been the disgusting lack of customer service from Chevrolet. I understand they have been busy, so I was willing to accept the fact that it took them 3 days just to run the codes. However, what is completely unacceptable is they lied to me about when the part would be coming in. I was told the part would be there on Friday, Jan 25th. Not only was the part not in on the 25th, service told me that they wouldn't even be able to order the part until Feb 1st! That part was never going to be there on the 25th. During this phone call, I searched for the part number. I found over 100+ units online in a matter of minutes. I have ordered the part myself and I am having it sent to the dealership directly. At this point, I have paid $146.00 for a part GM could not provide for one of their own popular 2011 models, and I have paid another $429.00 for a rental car. I will still have to pay for the tow, probably in the neighborhood of another $100. Furthermore, the car still isn't fixed. If service misdiagnosied this condition, I could be out even more money!?!?! How is this not covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty? It seems to be a pretty intergral part to me.

It looks like a lot of you have had this problem, has anyone been satisfied with the outcome? What total out-of-pocket expenses am I looking at? I can't afford to put much more into this car, only to get it back and have no confidence in its reliabilty!
    keysha,
    Keep us posted on how the repairs go! If you should need anything, don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).
    I am uncertain as to what, exactly, your job is. Social media contact? So, PR perhaps? I think PR is not the answer to these ongoing problems, unless you can have repairs expedited! I think someone with "but back" authority and a good credit on top of that! I have had 2 major repairs done, one engine, one transmission, on a car of 15,000 (engine) and 25,000 (transmission) miles. Both of these repairs were needed because the vehicle broke down suddenly! I am now having rough idle and hard shifting problems, and I am over it! Still less than 29,000 miles! I want this car exchanged at zero loss to me, and I want GM to stand behind it's vehicles better!
  • dmitranodmitrano Member Posts: 3
    I was contacted on here by GM after making a post about the same problems other people have been having. Sarah from GM contacted me to help me but ended up doing nothing to help me. I still have a broken car, and no help from GM.
    We all get that email. I can imagine the soothing, hynotic voice... robotic! I am going on the offensive! My transmission is acting up again, after being torn down and repaired recently. I have had it with my 28,000 mile, NEW vehicle being broken down!

I am going on the social media offensive, then if no results come, I will hire a lawyer! Engine repair at 15,000 miles, transmission at 25,000 and now... it is malfunctioning again!
    OK, so I am back, with a repeat problem. My transmission was repaires at around 25,000, and it seemed to be fixed. I now have 28,000 miles, and the problem is returning! I am slow shifting to secong, slam shifting into 1st and reverse, and dragging intermittently at speed. this is how it started, this is how it will end! I have now had major engine work (15000 miles) and major transmission work (25,000 miles) done after breaking down! Doing without my vehicle for days at a time, having it towed, pushing it out of intersections, asking my employees for rides, etc., etc., etc.

I am done with this lemon! I want this handled, I want a NEW and NEWER model year Equinox... and I want GM to do the right thing! It is a lemon! I am starting a social media blitz, I am starting a pinterest, twitter and FB blitz! I am fed up with this vehicle! This could have been a really nice vehicle, my wife and I both loved it... until it started to break down.

Do the right thing GM!
  • dmitranodmitrano Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problems plus oil consumption you probably have transmission and gas pump problem . My car use 17miles X gallon
    This car is a big lemon. Good luck dealing with GM they do not care.
  • firstnoxfirstnox Member Posts: 12
    While my dealer has been patient with me about nagging issues, I would suggest taking a different route with those of you stating you have a "lemon". There are procedures within you State Departments of Consumer Protection whereby you can register the complaint and have another hand to help you with the issues. I understand it is the Government, but they are obligued to follow up on all of these matters. I would copy the US Department of Consumer Proction, the Department of Safety and your local TV channel. Our power in numbers will hopefully bring the rightful attention to the diffenciencies in the Equinox.
  • badequinoxbadequinox Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem had a rebuilt transmission last month by the dealer covered under warranty about a week after getting it back this same issue started that you are having. I took it to the dealer they said it could be many things and cannot guarantee that it would covered by the 100k warranty. I did find one post that in 2007 having the same problem it was covered by the warranty. So now after a week waiting on the part I am now being told there is a nationwide back order and we dont know when we will get the part. I was on the phone with chevy customer service and they are escalating my issue (yeah what ever I bet they do not call) I am sick of this car and from the look of it I am not the only person.
  • gm_no_moregm_no_more Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. At just under 1700 miles I began experiencing all the same problems as everyone else. When I took my car to the dealer, they said the loud noise was just the fuel pump and that it was normal. With regards to other problems they were able to reproduce them so there was nothing they could do about those isssues. My car is now two years old, has just over 40000 miles; it looks good, but it sounds like a piece of crap jalopy on its last leg. I have an appointment with service department tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM, can't wait to hear what their excuses for the probelms are this time. The one thing I can say with certainty is that I'm not leaving that dealership until my car is fixed and fixed right or they're cutting me a check for the true and fair value of the car. To everyone else keep fighting and don't give up. If a class action suit does come to fruition, sign me up!!!
    WOW..Please stick to the real mechanical issues; what dose a $1500 down payment and 18 payments have to do with GM drive line and warranty issues?? My Equinox is paid for and this has nothing to do with driveline issues I have also experienced!! Being said; to date GM / dealer has taken care
    of all concerns and issues; have 52000 miles on my 2010 4cyl Nox. and get 24-26 MPG hwy/city to date; have never been stranded or concerned with safety in this Nox. However; reading these Nox horror stories makes me very happy my GM Dealer has taken care of me and servicing my 2010 4cyl NOX since purchased; Oil changed @ GM Dealer every 3500-4000 miles its very cheap insurance when having drive line issues....I will probably purchase a new one when the 2014 GM Nox hits the showroom!
  • floundewfloundew Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

We own a 2009 Chevy AWD Equinox. The differential failed at about 80,000 miles and Chevy replaced it under warranty(thank you). Now the transmission suddenly failed at 106,000 miles. Butch Ostalet in Pascagoula, MS stated we need a new transmission and the cost is $4000+. It is barely out of warranty and I have to believe that perhaps the differential failure had something to do with the transmission failure. Is there something GM can do to defer some of the cost for replacement considering the milage and differential failure and considering we own an S-10, Malibu and Impala.

Sean
    My money has everything to do with my issues.. Just because you have not experienced these issues doesn't mean they don't exist . This is not a message board for insults or rudeness.. We voice our issues and concerns here . Congrats if you have been lucky because many of us have not,
    We would be happy to check into this further for you, floundew. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation). If you need more immediate assistance, the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center can be reached at 800-222-1020 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET).

The district managers are extremely RUDE and worthless....
    I am making sure I get all their names - although they will only give first - and god forbid something happens i will hunt each and everyone one of them down!
    got my new engine and now at the dealer for transmission problems!
    Really - JUNK
    This is exactly why I chose to trade my vehicle and take a loss. I bought my equinox factory and no way was I having them rip my motor out. My ex was a mechanic and believe me. .. not all the parts make it back into your car. They fix one problem which leads to another. Is Just all money in their pockets.
  • 2011chevygirl2011chevygirl Member Posts: 1
    Wow! So I'm not the only one having problems. My car has been good to me except when it started getting cold out, It took 3 or 4 attempts at starting it for it to finally start. Also, 2 weeks ago i had about a 1/3 of gas still left in my car and filled it up before work. It sat in my work's parking lot all day until I got in it to run errands after work. I got to a stop light and it died on me. I have mentioned it to the dealer and of course i have no codes to prove it. I know they think I'm just making it up. When I bought this car I was hoping the the 4 cylinder would be ok, but it has no get up and go. I should have got the 6 cylinder. What do you recommend doing?
    When your driving an 18 wheeler this is the case!
    GM has a newer computor update for the oil change module / idiot gauge. This should help encourage owners to change oil at the appropriate time. I have been changing my oil ever 3500 to 4000 miles at gm dealer since inception. To date my 2010 Nox has 52000 miles with no internal consumption or engine issues. These engines run very hot, old dirty broken down oil will most defintly cause unnessary internal engine wear! a
    2011chevygirl,
    If you would like for us to document that you are having these concerns and follow up with your dealership on any recent visits, we're happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • lynn85lynn85 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    When I thought i was getting a Reliable vehicle, I was wrong, I was driving with "No" oil in my 2011 Equinox... No warning lights nothing, my husband heard some loud noise coming from the car we check the oil first... hey there is NONE.... NO oil LEAKS in my driveway,I called to ask why this would happen to a year old vehicle the kid told me "we will have to do a oil monitor test come back every 1000 miles to check why this is happening...WE ALL KNOW WHY... THIS VEHICLE HAS A BAD ENGINE.... and GM is now mailing out a letter to do a software update for the oil life monitor system,so that means I have to go for more oil changes cause they dont know how to fix the problem.. Im very sorry I even bought this vehicle, this will be the last CHEVY we buy. I have my appointment to go, now let the bull#$^$ start, Cant wait to here what excuses they tell me.. very upset with this what NEW vehicle runs out of oil..and im always on time w/ the changes...
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    lynn85, There seems to be some confusion about the letter. It does not address the oil consumption problem at all. The oil consumption test will help determine if your engine is one of the bad ones , If yours is one of them it will likely result in new engine to correct problem.
    How many miles do you drive between oil changes and how many miles are on your 4cyl nox. The oil monitor was never intended for using as a fuel gauge. it shows percentage of oil life and readings under 50% are not particulary good for the Engine; oil should be changed at 5000 mile or even less depending on driving habits. I'm surprised GM dose not have a regimented proceedure for changing oil due to owners that are challanged mechanically.
    lynn85,
    We're sorry that you've encountered this situation with your new Equinox. I see that you do have an appointment set to go in - if you would like for us to stay with you through this process, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • zzrcharliezzrcharlie Member Posts: 4
    My 2011 is going in on Monday for the cold start up noise issue. I'll post up next week to fill you guys in on what the deal is. Just for the record, I don't think I need an "oil change" warning light/message that I know of. I change my oil about every 5 or 6 K, and use a top grade synthetic oil and this has always worked for me. I check it regular too.So far, I like my Equinox. We'll see what the future holds. Sort of like the air pressure message, I think I can keep up with that one too. The message to me is just a, well a message. You can go the common since route on that as well.
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    Hi all, don't know if anyone else in the Philly area has received a letter from Lemon Law. Com This was an unsolicited letter from them, asking me to contact them regarding my Equinox. Apparently they are aware of the chronic problems with the 4 cylinder. I intend on contacting them, as I have had the vehicle stall several times, as well as the horrible start up noise, that doesn't go away. I had it in for service three times, of course they couldn't correct the problem, but they did change the timing belt/chain, saying it was bad. It is a 4 cyclliner. Vehicle still makes the horrible start up noise, and on occasion gets to the point of stalling out, but doesn't.
    I too received the software update letter, the same day the lemon lawyer mailed me. I think I will contact these attorneys to see what they can do. :(
    I loved mine too, until at 4000 miles it started breaking down. All my services are done by the dealer and I ALWAYS keep it maintained. Oil changes between 3000 and 5000 miles. And it's common sense.
    Fyi... don't change your own oil as you will void your warranty.