Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Don't have Sentry Key, but have heard nothing but GOOD things about it.

We used to have a member in here who lived in LA, and Sentry Key saved his Jeep from being stolen on two or three occasions.

Tom
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I knew someone would disagree :--)

The reason they made such a big deal is that it's very difficult to bypass the Sentry Key system. It usually has to be done by secreting a legitimate key inside the steering column, but obviously this defeats the whole point of having a Sentry Key system in the first place.

Personally I'd rather have Sentry Key and a block heater.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    well,,

what i would really like is a heated garage!!or a house in southern california.

then I'd take the key sentry system.

jeff
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I made a point of buying it on the Unlimited, based on the experiences of someone here and the problems he had with people who kept trying to steal his new Wrangler. We've had a couple of vehicles with alarms and it always seemed that we'd just never arm them because they were more of a bother (or the remote got lost). This way I have some protection and it doesn't interfere with things.

I'm not sure that the SoCal weather is worth the extra need for security. On the other hand, our current little bit of liquid sunshine is MUCH better than what I saw on the news from Boston this morning. I hope that everyone here stays safe - all that ice looked deadly!
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    jbone,

I bought a soft top Unlimited this past summer and I decided to chance it with the soft top this winter. We've had several below zero days in the past month or so, and between the top and the full hard doors, I've had no trouble staying warm...it might not be as warm in the back where you're just surrounded by fabric, but fortunately I don't drive from back there! The 3 down sides to the soft top in the winter:

1-The cold makes the back window stiff, and more difficult to manipulate than it already is.

2-Be prepared for your back window to be perpetually covered with road grime, rendering it opaque. Forget about cleaning it as the gas station, as the sponge cleaner will have grit in it from everyone else's windows which will scratch the hell out of your plastic window.

3-You can't scrape the plastic windows when they're frosted (not a problem for me-I park in a garage).

That said, the soft top keeps me plenty warm, but I can definitely see the advantages to a hard top in the winter, although not enough for me to justify the expense of buying one, or the hassle of storing it in the summer.

One last piece of advice: If you get a hardtop and then add a soft top later, make sure you get the factory soft top hardware. From what I hear, it's patented by DCX, and is a much better design than anything available aftermarket. Often you can find factory take-off soft tops and hardware on ebay.

Marcus
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    jbone,

I made sure when I bought my Unlimited, that I got it with the Sentry Key option. From what I've heard, it's one of the more effective factory anti-theft systems, and at $75, ranks as a bargain in my mind!

Marcus
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Well i have the soft top and have put it down once so far. Its fun to have down but a hassle to put back up. I will probably be using the sunrider feature much more than dropping the top. I am looking into the new safari top for the unlimited offered by bestops for use on my jeep this summer. If i do go this route i will remove my s.t. and stay with the safari top all summer, but need some kind of shade in the Texas heat.....The only negatives with the soft top imo is 1)a little more wind noise on the highway 2)limited access to storage compartment 3)no defroster 4)less security for valuables left in jeep. Ive already been inconvienced on the storage space trying to put a jeep stroller in the back and then wondering if anyone would like to make it their own while i was away. However, this is not enough for me to want a hardtop due to the real hassle of removing such a top on a nice spring day when i can just be topless in 5-10 minutes....
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    to retrofit the Sentry system on an older TJ?

-Paul
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Very, very nice!!!! A pic of the Jeep and the Red Dragon would be nice. My Jeep is the same color, just a little smaller (and no microwave or bunk beds). You probably said this in a previous post but what size and make are the tires? Do you have a remote to inflate them from another state if you have to? Go Easy and Have Fun, John (I like the running lights-not too many-just enough)
  • mrb_unlmrb_unl Member Posts: 1
    I live in Chicago and bought a Jeep Unlimited in December. Awesome car. I have the softtop and it works just fine in a cold enviornment. I do not notice any difference in heat between any car with a normal top and my jeep with a softtop beside a little more noise with the softtop. Also, the rear window is a little difficult to see out of on cold days.

You will love the Jeep. Some people (and friends) might say that I am crazy saying this BUT this car is more fun to drive then a Corvette C5 that I recently got rid of. Sure the Jeep does not have the speed (thank god) but it has the same sort of feel the road ride and being up high....personnally it makes me feel more comfortable driving so it makes the whole experience better.

One really cool thing about the softtop is the Sunrider feature AND the ability to take the side and back windows off essentially creating a Safari top. Cannot wait for warm weather.

Good Luck
    It can be done (on a TJ), but it's pretty much a dealer only job as it needs a DRBIII scan tool and possibly a new PCM as well.
    The pic I posted was from where it was for sale. I need to get around to finding a free hosting site so I can post a pic of the two together.

Tires are Goodyear MT/Rs size 37x12.5x17........inflation from the cab only!

Have to admit that the illumination pattern from the front, side, or rear does look pretty cool at night.

:--)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mrb_unl:

WELCOME! And, CONGRATS ON THAT UNLIMITED!

Hey, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about when you say that Jeep is more fun to drive than your Corvette was. Well, OK, I never had a Vette, but I have owned a Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, an 88 IROC 5.7 Camaro with T-tops, and a 94 Z-28 six speed with T-tops. Those cars were fun, but there just ain't nothin' like a Jeep!

Hope you will make yourself at home here and become an active member, Mr B.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Try Jeeppages.com or photobucket.com. both are free and not a problem.

-Paul
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Mac, I really like www.imageshack.us (not .com) for free image hosting. You don't even have to register, though if you do they'll group your images. There's no added logos or anything to the image and they seem pretty stable. Might be worth checking out.

Just to keep this on-topic, here's a few samples of my Jeep:

Thanks Paul, I'll check those out.
    Do I have to pay extra for Imagestation to make my pics as good as yours, and is there a miniture Jeep hidden in the last shot?

Actually, I'm very impressed!

:--)
    those pictures are incredible. Where did you learn composition like that? Are you a DC publicist? Those pics could easily professional grade!

Wish I had some areas around here as scenic. Not nearly as scenic as California was...

-Paul
    Awesome photos, as usual. Absolutely love the first one - it would make a great ad for Jeep!

Paul - California might be pretty but it isn't as incredible as Washington and Oregon are.
    Yeah Mac, there's a little Jeep in those pine needles... :)

-Pete
    Thanks for nice words Paul. Give me a camera, a Jeep and few hours in hills and I'm happy. When the weather cooperates, the views out here can be amazing!

Oh, and no, I'm not a DC publicist -- nor do I play one one TV. Just a photo-nut that loves 4-wheeling.

-Pete
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    where were those pictures taken?? I want to go!!
    mtngal-

Thanks. I think California is just as scenic as OR & WA, just more people when you get to the hot spots. It's hard to beat Yosemite for breath-taking scenery. I was hiking around the park this summer, might as well post the picture.

If you look real close at the top of Half Dome, you can just make out my Jeep.

(kidding)

-Pete
    jeff, I live just north of Portland, OR and those pics (not the last one from Yosemite) were taken in the Cascade Mtn range. Specifically, just outside Battleground, WA in the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest. There's hundreds (probably thousands) of miles of forest roads like that in this Nat'l Forest that make for some great exploring!

-Pete
  • njjeepnjjeep Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I recently picked up a 97 soft-top Wrangler. I love it, but today while trying to fix the outside driver mirror the plastic window "broke." Has this ever occurred to anyone? I literally have a "broken" window from top to bottom on my driver side plastic window? Can this be fixed? Do I have to buy a new soft-top? Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!
    Do you have the half doors and what broke is the part that goes into the door? You can buy separate windows without buying a whole top (check out quadratec, J.C. Whitney or other aftermarket car parts retailers). If it were me, I'd probably look at getting some aftermarket slider windows since I don't think I'd want to live with the zippered windows.

If the top isn't in the best shape then I'd probably look at replacing the whole top. The newer tops are much quieter. Since I've never done it, I don't know if there are any tricks, like extra hardware, you would need.
  • njjeepnjjeep Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying mtngal - Yes, I have half doors and it is a zippered window. Basically, there is a crack from one side of the window up to the top. It is as though someone took a knife and cut a slit in the window. I guess it broke b/c of the bitter cold around here lately.
    Here you go:

They're $265 a pair at Quadratech: http://makeashorterlink.com/?L13224B5A

However, as mtngal said, I'd consider sliders.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I have a 2002 TJ and I am looking for a receiver hitch for the rear. This would be used for towing and recovery in place of the rear tow hook that will have to be removed.

I have been looking at the bumpers with built in receivers and none of them seem to be set up for safety chains. I also called Warn and they told me the receivers were really for recovery and not towing.

At this stage I am more inclined to just add a receiver hitch and call it quits. I want a 3500 pound limit and a bolt on. Towing would be less than 2000 pounds, but would like the extra pounds just in case I went heavier. Most towing would be on our property, but some would be on the highway.

I am not to concerned about lost clearance, but am concerned about safety for on road towing.

Suggestions, comments?

Still a happy camper.
    This is the bumper I use (front and rear), and it has proper provision for safety chains. I regularly tow over 3000lbs, though that's not a recommendation you should! :--)

It's $240 from Quadratech here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J34C42B5A

(Having feelings of déjà vu!)
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Hey guys. Haven't been in here in a while; guess I've been out enjoying my Jeep too much. Rest assured, Tom, I hug my Wrangler each and every day!

Four things I need help with:

1) Service. I'm at 18K miles. Been faithful to the schdule "A" maintenance, but Jeep service guys are trying to convince me I need schedule "B" (more frequent, and thus more expensive) because of the rigors of urban driving in L.A. Any thoughts?

2) Service guys say the front brakes are down to 4mm and that I will soon need a brake job costing upwards of $300. Any reactions?

3) My driver's side floor mat clip broke off, and the service guys claim it doesn't have its own part number making it hard to replace. Any ideas?

4) I get a bad vibe off this particular Jeep dealership. Had a great one elsewhere, but my guy moved to a Saturn service center (traitor!). Any recommendations for service in Southern Cal?

Thanks.

-Mike
  • jeep-luvrctjeep-luvrct Member Posts: 12
    have u considered the hitches that are not built into the bumper?

i think that Class III trailer hitches all have a 3500 pound limit
    First, there is no requirement for you to have your Jeep serviced at a dealer to keep with warranty requirements. You can use an independent shop, or do it yourself (preferred method!).

1) Most people seem to think that you should only need schedule 'B' for driving in the desert or the jungle. Urban and city driving can be just as hard on the vehicle, especially the oil and brakes. The extra costs for fluids and filters over each year is minimal, especially compared to a repair bill.

2) Pads or shoes that are close to the end of their life require replacing before they damage the discs or drums, or worse, fail! Wrangler rear disc pads are especially prone to rapid wear for some reason.

3) I don't have any listing for floor mat parts but the carpet fixings are available. Let me know if you want the numbers.

4) Can't help, sorry.
    Up until I got the Unlimited I always used Schedule B (but then I drove enough on dirt roads to justify it). The Unlimited doesn't see as much off-road use (it is our daily driver - mostly freeway miles) and I've started to use Mobile 1 oil, so I've been using Schedule A for the oil changes (and usually use the quick lube places - at least I can watch from a distance). The Sport still uses schedule B.

We replaced the brakes and rotors on the Sport (a 5 speed) at around 100,000 miles and only paid $180. Got it done at a Firestone place in Bakersfield (Bakersfield is often a bit cheaper for labor than similar places in Santa Clarita).

I'm thinking about taking the Unlimited to a dealership for the auto-dimming mirror. It will be the first time since 1998 that I've actually used a dealership's service department - I prefer independent mechanics. It's worked well for us - the Sport has 130,000 miles on it and the Unlimited has 21,000 miles on it. Yes, I know, I need to do something about the mirror soon or else it will be beyond the 36,000 mile warranty. I'm leaning on taking it to Buerge (where I bought it and the one closest to work) but a co-worker had a bad experience with their service department once. Otherwise I might try the Jeep dealership in Santa Clarita, which is on the way home. I'm not impressed with their sales department but have no experience with their service department. I wasn't impressed with the dealership in Glendale - they are the ones that tried to tell me I had lifted my Sport (which I hadn't - just had 30 inch tires on it) rather than pay to replace the plastic fuel filler tube that cracked right after I bought it. They are also the ones that insisted that the only service interval was the Schedule A (just the opposite of what you experienced!).

Which dealership did you use that you didn't like?
    So, does your mirror have an on/off button for the auto dimming function?
    I've still got to pull out the manual and look it up. It does have an on-off switch that changes the temp from F to C and turns off the temp/compass, but didn't seem to do anything for the auto dimming function when I tried it (and the green light at the bottom didn't go out, so I think I'm missing something). Hopefully your post, mac, will remind me to read the owners manual on the way to work tomorrow (no, I won't be trying to read while I'm driving - my other half drives into work, I drive home).
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I bought a 2" 3500 lb bolt-on via ebay - direct from a manufacturer (located in Arizona; branded "Quality S") for about $50 or so. Very easy install, and very pleased with the quality. I don't really tow, but do use a nice bike rack and just wanted the 2" size.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Remember to read the manual re: the mirror.

Another helpful service provided by edmunds.com hosts! ;-)

tidester, host
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    300 Bucks for front brakes???? Highway robbery!
    I guess you're not used to taking your vehicle into a franchised dealership for maintenance and repair?

;--)
    for the autodimming mirror. Press and hold one of the buttons for a bit ... can't remember which one but think it is the T/C, but the green power light for the autodim should go out.

-Paul
    Brake jobs are pretty easy, if you have some basic tools. You'll save money and learn about your car at the same time. :)

-Paul
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    that is a great pic, i really like yosemite great place. I got lost on a trail there back in 2000 and was forced to spend the night around vernal falls in my shorts/tee shirt. What was supposed to be a 4 hour walk down from glacier point in the afternoon turned into an all nighter as it got dark faster than the ranger had told us (me/wife). We spent the night in a toilet area and were visited by 2 bears during the evening. Much fun now, LOL........
    Do you have a website with pics? I'd LOVE to download some of your pics. Any in particular with Jeeps that have a high enough resolution to print out say an 11x14? :)

-Paul
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Mtngal, I was using Center Jeep in Van Nuys, but as I said my guy jumped ship. Buerge is where I've gone more recently. On my 12K service, they said they didn't perform all the maintenance because it wasn't really needed (rotating tires, et al). Then, at my 18K service, they go the other way and tell me I need to be getting more frequent service (sched: b). Plus, they don't know how to order my carpet clip. Beyond that, just a badd vibe. Nothing concrete.

Mac24, if you've got the clip number, that would help greatly! Or a link to where I can buy one online.

Thanks all.

-Mike
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    That would be correct. I typically do front disc brakes myself. I don't mess with rear drum brakes. I like to keep my digits attached. I have a local shop that will put rear drum brakes (I buy the shoes) on my 95 Rio Grande for $24.00. That's a bargain. Same shop charged me $34.00 for my Tahoe. Still a bargain. I don't know why the Jeep was cheaper, but it was.
    I read the owners manual this morning. Now if I remember correctly (remember this was at 4:30 this morning) you push both the right and left buttons (the ones that operate the lights) and hold them for a couple of seconds. I'll try that this evening and see if it works.

Mike - I once talked to someone at Frontier (the Santa Clarita dealership) several years ago who seemed really sharp. Then about 2 years ago I talked to someone else about my dash problem (the one that was common on the '98s) and the guy was really clueless.

If I don't resolve the mirror's problem with just turning it off for a bit, I might try them, or maybe even go over to Lancaster and try the dealership there (it's probably not much further from the house than Santa Clarita or Bakersfield). On the other hand, Buerge was excellent to deal with when I bought the Unlimited.

Have you tried Don-A-Vee? It's pretty far for me - a friend of mine who had a JGC at least 8 years ago thought they were pretty good.
    jefferson1964- That sounds like an adventure even if there weren't bears visiting in the middle of the night! At least you can laugh about it now.

-Pete
    Paul- Sorry, no website for the Jeep pics. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it. I think any of them would look good at 11x14, they were shot with a 6.3 Mpixel camera. I was going to e-mail you, but your address is private in your profile.

-Pete
    .....I read the owners manual this morning. Now if I remember correctly (remember this was at 4:30 this morning) you push both the right and left buttons (the ones that operate the lights) and hold them for a couple of seconds. I'll try that this evening and see if it works......

If it's like mine you may end up in the calibration mode if you do that. I just have to press the button next to the green L.E.D. (on the left) to turn it on or off.