Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First time car buyers just bought 2010 Forester Premium

gjrjgjrj Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Subaru
Hi all-

So we just bought a 2010 Subaru Forester. Drives well and we think we got a decent price (~$23+change all-in). A couple of issues we had though that we aren't sure about as they came up after the "final" calculation. Any help would be great as we are first time car buyers and Subaru owners:

- We are still deciding about the extended warranty. Our car is 2010 w/ ~6800 miles so the regular warranty gets us another two years or ~29K miles. Then the PowerTrain gets us another couple years. We can get a seven year for $1495 (I think this will take us three years beyond the original warranty and they claim that you get it back if you don't file a claim. Is this worth it? Is it true you can buy this later? We live in Manhattan so everything is a little jacked up anyway. If we wait until late fall when we move to the burbs I think it might be cheaper-- thoughts?
- They sell the car "as is" in terms of keys and they said it came with one key and no remotes ($~90 each). They will throw in two remotes if we buy the warranty but we will still have to buy an additional key which the finance dept claims is ~$2-250 b/c of the chip. My husband found a site to buy chip keys (uncut) online-- should we take that risk?
- Any recs for sites to buy bumper bullys or anything of the sort?

Any help would be great. Please no feedback about us getting screwed if that is your take on the price ;-) This is supposedly a "no-haggle" dealership so negotiating anything was next to impossible.

Thanks!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Price looks good, actually. My brother is shopping for the same model, with a manual, and they're hard to find.

The warranty seems a bit pricey, though. I'd shop around, get other quotes.
  • aseret_moaseret_mo Member Posts: 1
    I would encourage anyone buying a Forester to get the extended warranty if they can afford it. I've had nothing but problems with my 03 since I first bought it. I owned a Ford before this Forester, and when it comes time to trade it in, I'm going back. Repair costs for Subaru's seem to be significantly higher compared to American cars. Just my advice to you, if you don't know someone who works on cars and can do repairs for you, get the warranty.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2011
    I would encourage anyone buying a Forester to get the extended warranty if they can afford it. I've had nothing but problems with my 03 since I first bought it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your Forester.

I personally am on my 5th Subaru and I've never accumulated enough repairs to cover the cost of the extended warranty. Obviously, YMMV.

1989 GL-10 AWD Turbo Wagon 5MT ... bought new, traded at 98K miles
    1993 Legacy FWD Sedan AT ... bought at 22K, traded at 52K.
    1996 Outback 2.5L AT ... bought new, traded at 128K miles
    2003 Outback 2.5L AT ... bought new, traded at 140K miles
    2002 Outback 2.5L AT ... bought from Mom at 49K, now has 63K
  • austinsaustins Member Posts: 9
    Did you make a decision on this yet? If not I'd like to offer advice.
This discussion has been closed.