Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Dodge Durango Citadel VS 2011 Acura MDX

glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
I never thought I would be asking this question but Dodge has really picked up it's game. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It's pricey for a Dodge. I'm wondering about resale value, which isn't as big of a concern with the Acura. If you tend to buy and keep for a long time then it won't big a big issue I guess.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..Dodge has really picked up it's game.."

But still at -2 on a 1-10 scale, -7 against the MDX.
  • lilredcorvtlilredcorvt Member Posts: 21
    Pricey? nah! its the MDX which is overprice imho....the top of the line Durango (Citadel) has all the bells and whistles and its bargain to me. Take a test drive of the Durango and you wouldn't believe how smooth and quite it is, driving the Durango is like driving a European sports sedan. Suspension set up in the Durango is dialed in right, no truckish ride here. I just couldn't get past the polarizing front end although I give the MDX SH-AWD the best set up but the Durango AWD set up ain't bad at all! just my two cents.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Maybe so, but I priced one out here Southern California and it was over 50K with tax/license. Option package 25j + towing group. Also, the Citadel version doesn't offer true 4wd with a low range transfer case, just AWD. One other turn off for me was the fact that only black interiors are offered. It gets to hot here in the southwest, if you've ever jumped on a black leather seat with shorts on when it's 100+ you know what I mean.
    I would probably go for the Crew version with options myself.
    50k is too much you got to shop around use the car buying services like carwoo or usaa. I'm getting my Citadel with all the options (V-8 hemi, towing grp, DVD entertainment system and skid plates) for 44k (usaa pricing). Totally understand about black leather seats (my wife's TSX has it) but the Citadel has the heated and ventilated front seats. And in terms of useable space the Durango beats the MDX hands down!
  • soon2bownersoon2bowner Member Posts: 1
    keep the positive comments i'm definitely closer to getting this suv :)
  • viola128viola128 Member Posts: 5
    I am about to trade in my bmw for a new suv. my choices are: Arcura MDX, Mercedes ML, Infiniti, and BMW X5. Could anyone give me some advice? I am not too crazy about having another bmw even though the performance is really great but I had problems with my 7 series. I have had a ML before, drove it for 9 years and it was great. I love arcura but had read that it has some issues.....
    any thing would help. thank you
    RDX, Cayenne..??
    If money is not a concern then I'll either get the M-Benz or an Acura. Don't know any issues on Acura MDX but as far as I know they are solid and reliable vehicles, the reason I didn't buy is their packaging of options and imo the vehicle is overpriced. With the Citadel that I got, I saved almost 10k at least compared to the MDX and I got all the bells and whistles you can have in the top of the line Durango Citadel! G/L on your decision!
  • jas72jas72 Member Posts: 1
    Depends on how long you are going to keep it and lease vs. Buy. Check 36 month resdiuals on these 2. MDX is at 50%, durange at 38%. Reguardless of personal preference, MDX's hold there value longer. If you're keeping it 5 years +, not as big a deal.
    That 10k you "saved" is a direct result of the different "value" the buying public sees in buying an Acura vs a Chrysler product....a CHRYSLER product..???

On the other hand the MDX seems to be experiencing a serious level of failures in the driveline, specifically the torque converter, and even moreso the early VTM-4 systems.

Although there appears to be a not insignificant number of newer MDX torque converter failures being reported.
    edited November 2011
    Understand where you're coming from, the public view the Acura brand as a luxury marque....what I'm trying to say for similarly equipped vehicle comparing the MDX and Durango with all the bells and whistles that I have on the Durango, the MDX was around 51k while my D was OTD for 42k. The MDX doesn't even have a push button start, skid plates, tow package, roof rails w/ integrated crossbar (if available).....you have to order these things a la carte and it pushes the price of the MDX. In addition Dodge provided a 1 year free subscription on Sirius Radio/Traffic & Travel link. Believe me I was ready to pull the trigger on the 2011 MDX but after seeing the Durango and did a test drive I was impressed...LOL said the same thing it's a Dodge/Chrysler product!!! it's my first Dodge I have to say been a loyal Honda/Acura fan....but Dodge/Chrysler have really made a huge improvement to the materials/engineering of their vehicles IMHO.

Been driving my Durango with just over 4k miles since picking it up April 2011 and have been problem free. Still seeing other drivers stretching their necks to catch a glimpse of my Durango. In a couple of years they will incorporate a ZF 8 spd AT and DI on the V6.
  • marpiwillmarpiwill Member Posts: 5
    I am facing the same decision. My lease on a 2009 Acura TL is ending and I need an SUV. The MDX seems very dated, boring, and noisy. The Citadel was a real surprise. Better Technology, safety, quiter ride. The name plate is very important to a lot of people but I believe Chrysler has nice products.
    Acura seems to be falling behind.