Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .......Mac24, if you've got the clip number, that would help greatly!......

Is this for the front or rear of the carpet (not the mat)?
  • agentzukagentzuk Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I've got a 2004 wrangler x, bought in June '04 - auto transmission. After the 1st oil change it developed a transmission type rattling noise at idle. The dealer can't find it, said they tightened everything. My friend who is knowledgeable in these thing thinks it's loose motor mounts. Sounds like it is coming from under the front dash. As soon as I give it some gas it goes away, then back again at idle. Any suggestions? Thanks/Tom
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'd REALLY be hesitant about trying the dealership in Lancaster. They took over Jeeps from another dealership and really don't know too much. When I took my TJ there for an inspection prior to purchasing, they didn't even notice it was missing a front sway bar (and I didn't know any better at the time).

01r1, you can email some to skimblzbvs at yahoo dot com. My email in my profile is definitely not one to give out (it's my work/hispeed one).

-Paul
    I highly doubt that it's loose motor mounts. Try using a long thin screwdriver as a stethoscope to narrow down the location. Put your ear to the handle and the blade on various parts of the vehicle, being very careful near any moving parts.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Don-A-Vee did ok by when they replaced my transition. I have not had any problems with it since.

Glen
    I used a wooden handle for a paint roller once to find a noise in an engine. Not has good as a metal tool, but it did get the job done without putting my face close to any moving objects.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Mtngal, thanks for the info. I almost bought my Wrangler at Buerge. I recall thinking it funny that the salesman drove a RAV4.

I meant to check my dimming mirror to help with your problem. I've only needed to turn it off once, and I too thought it was done by pressing both switches simultaneously. All that ended up turning on/off were the map lights. As for the other button, I thought that only turned off the temp/compass. Will check later.

Mac24, it's the driver's side, front floor mat clip. It catches the rear of the mat (closest to the seat). Hit it funny with my heel and SNAP!

Thanks all,

Mike
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mike:

Hey, good to see you back with us! Sorry it has taken me this long to reply.

Glad you are hugging your Jeep! They need love and attention to function properly.

I agree with what Mac told you. City driving IS hard on an engine, so spending the extra bucks on more frequent oil changes is not a bad idea.

Also, like Mac said, city driving can be very hard on brakes too. It would help to allow lots of following distance and to slow down so that you give the traffic light time to go green and the stopped cars to get going again. Then you wouldn't even have to use your brakes, and you would catch up to the cars ahead anyway, so you wouldn't lose any time. Bet I know what would happen if you tried that: cars would come around you and cut back in front of you, taking away that space that you are trying to leave open in front of you, right?

Some people seem to think they need to be either heavy on the gas or heavy on the brake. They stay on the gas right up to the very last second as they approach a red light, then they jump on the brakes real hard to get stopped in time. It would make MUCH more sense to ease off the gas as they approach a red light, and maybe they could avoid using the brakes all together, if the light changes in time. At least they would not have to stand on the brakes to get stopped in time.

Oh well, just one of my pet peeves.

Stick around, Mike! Don't disappear on us again.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Tom, I'm with you on the easing up on the gas. I'm also a believer in engine/transmission braking. In my manual (and our autos), I downshift as I approach a light. My Grand Cherokee got 63,000 miles out of the ORIGINAL factory pads while living in a mountain community. The dealer has NEVER seen 63,000 on a Grand, let alone one living in the mountains (over 4,200 ft elevation).

Gradual is a concept that REALLY extends the life of any vehicle. Sudden acceleration, braking, turning, etc all contribute, IMO, to faster wear. Sometimes is can't be avoided, but most of the time it can.

-Paul
  • smithjeepssmithjeeps Member Posts: 1
    I have a question someone help.... what is the difference in the 87-95 wrangler full steel doors and 96-03 wrangler full steel doors. i have a 00 and i would like to put the older style doors on. i heard it was just a hinge location. does anyone have any idea
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Tom - One of the advantages to driving in the carpool lane is that I can creep along, letting the car in front of me get further ahead or not and trying not to brake or shift at all. You absolutely can not do that if you are in the regular lanes.

I'm more sucessful with the 5 speed than I am with the auto, so I expect that I'll be replacing the brakes on the Unlimited sooner than when I did with either the Sport or the Taco (both 5 speeds). I'm really torn about which tranny I prefer - in some cases I really appreciate the auto, at other times I miss the engine braking you get with the 5 speed.

I know I get unusual mileage out of things like brakes and clutches because 98 percent of my driving is freeway (though it isn't always fast). If I lived in Santa Monica or Culver City I think I would go nuts - all those stop signs and lights! I'd rather drive 75 miles with 2 stop signs and 5 lights than 20 miles with 45 lights and 10 stop signs - it probably takes about the same amount of time. And Tom's way of easing up to things won't work as well under those conditions. By the way, this is one of those times when I wish I didn't have such a good job - I's love to be able to move...
    Hey, Tom. Thanks for the welcome back. I think I drive pretty conscientiously (but then, doesn't everyone?). You're right though, that driving appropriately leaves room for others to swoop in and out. L.A. freeways are like bumper cars! As someone else mentioned, I try to downshift as often as possible to minimize actual braking.

Someone else suggested doing work like brake jobs on my own. Alas, I'm like Tom Cruise/Cole Trickle in "Days of Thunder." He could drive, but knew absolutley nothing about under the hood.

I'm curious about what invaldiates a warranty? Doing the work yourself? Going to a private mechanic? Etc.? Where in the paper work is that? I've got a mechanic I trust, but he works out of his home garage.

Thanks,

Mike
    Because we don't have trunks, doesn't it always look in the rear view like people are tailgating, even though they're not any closer than normal? Maybe it's me.

-Mike
    Not keeping up with maintenence will invalidate your warranty! Doesn't matter whether you use an independent mechanic or do it yourself, as long as it's done correctly. Just keep your receipts.
    It's you!

:--)
    I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but with the Jeep, I'm not afraid to undertake that kind of work. About all you need for a brake job besides the parts, is brake fluid, a few of the right sized sockets, perhaps a hammer, and something to get the brake dust off your hands (or latex gloves) when your done.

A Haynes manual is a good start if you're not too technical, but want to learn more and do a few of the basics yourself. Using it, I was able to swap out my radiator easily. I've done all my mods myself, and when it comes time to lift my Jeep, I'll do that too.

You'll not only save some bucks, but learn a lot about your rig in the process. If you have a mechanical friend, have them watch you or help you, but do the work yourself so you can learn. I've found it is kinda fun too. :)

-Paul
    ...Mac24, it's the driver's side, front floor mat clip. It catches the rear of the mat (closest to the seat). Hit it funny with my heel and SNAP!

I'm sure I did say (a couple of times) that the mats weren't listed, just the carpet, but in case we're confusing nomenclature I'll give the ones for the front and rear of the carpet for an '02 (latest I've got).

Rear part# J400 7545 QTY.2 SCREW AND WASHER, Snap Head, .164-18x.375

Front part# 6503 274 QTY.5 PLASTIC NUT, Push On

Though from the diagram it looks like it should be three rear fixings and two at the front (on the drivers side).
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Thanks for the replies on my receiver hitch question.

Still a happy camper.
    Looks like Tom and I take the same view about slipping smoothly through traffic. It's a combination of mechanical sympathy for the vehicle, and having an awareness of the big picture of what's happening around you. Your Jeep will appreciate it and it's very satisfying to slide smoothly ahead of the cars doing the stop, start, and lane swap routine. Anybody can put their foot down and speed, but it takes skill to negotiate traffic efficiently.

;--)
    Hi Toady! Boy, how come ya disappeared on us? Welcome back! Stick around, dude.

Tom

I do not know if anyone else has a probable with the sign-in for Edmunds like I do (it will not remember me). Well, if you are, I finally found the fix: “Norton Password Manager.” I just click on the sign-in page and Norton fills in the form for me. It does not get any easier.

Glen
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Most browsers have an inline auto complete function built in. Probably not as many bells and whistles, but it's free.

In Internet Explorer it's under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and scroll down to the auto complete tick box. Firefox uses the auto:config function.

Then there's that Remember Me option when you log in here too.

Steve, Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I am always here, maybe 4 to 6 times a day.

How is RA?

Still a happy camper.
    Now you tell me! After all those months of having to manually enter my e-mail address and password. Actually, the remember me function would not work for. I tried it on two computers.

No worries…I picked up Norton’s password manager for free when I upgraded my “Norton Internet Security” program to 2005.

Glen
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes that stuff (remember me, etc.) is glitchy, especially if cookies are turned off, etc. It's probably best not to use it (or Password Manager) on a work or other publicly accessible computer either.

Steve, Host
    Alloys are generally lighter than steel, but the question could be as much about cost as of weight. You'll notice the effect on your wallet more than the effect of the weight difference on the vehicle.

Remember also that larger wheels on a 4 cyl will have a deleterious effect on highway performance. You might want to give some consideration to re-gearing as well.
    It's probably not the way Edmunds likes it, but I have the 'Message Center' bookmarked and just come straight here, rather than through the front door. It works for me, but I probably miss out on interesting stuff in the front page.
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
    A 2004 hardtop off a rubicon would fit on a 2002 sport correct? Just want to double check before i start bidding....Thanks
    I think the front clamps on the top of the windshield frame are a little different, but the basic shape is the same. However, the '04 won't have the vents in the rear quarter panels, as '03 on is vented through the tailgate. That means it will be hard to get fresh air into the Jeep through the HVAC system.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I bought the Wrangler X with a softop and harddoors , I bought the Mopar hardtop 6 months later , living in a high density LA area , you need the security a hardtop provides, and at speeds over 55 mph, a very loud flapping occurs with the softop rear side windows. As for weather insulation, weather here is mostly warm and sunny and best to remove the top and park inside the garage and drive only to secure locations and I live in the suburbs.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    "..and at speeds over 55 mph, a very loud flapping occurs with the softop rear side windows..."

A tip I learned on this board; turn on the vent with the windows closed. It will make the rear windows expand and decrease the flapping by quite a bit. Pretty neat trick, give it a try.

-Dan

Ok, I give up. How do I end a bold command. I only intended to bold and italic the quote. But, it applied to the whole message.

edit...I have no idea how that just happened.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Not only will the lack of vents be a problem with the HVAC, you probaly won't be able to close the doors without the windows down--at least until you blow out the rear window gasket. Then they would close pretty easily. ;-) I would suggest looking for a 2002 or earlier top with vents.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can create italics by placing the tags <i> and </i> around the <i>text you want italicized</i>.You can create bold by placing the tags <b> and </b> around the <b>text you want bolded</b>.

Closing tags are inserted at the end of your message should you forget to include them.

tidester, host
  • jeep-luvrctjeep-luvrct Member Posts: 12
    nah, not just u...i agree
    For some unknown reason (to me anyway), the instructions for using bold and italics, posting pics etc., seem to appear and disappear from the bottom of the page at random. I guess it's to do with the exciting (yawn) new software changes?

;--)
    I guess it's to do with the exciting (yawn) new software changes?

The next great innovation will be a neural interface so that all you'll have to do is think of what you'd like to say and it will appear on the screen! Of course that may complicate hosting somewhat as members express themselves without inhibition!

What would a Wrangler be like that responds directly to your wishes? :-)

tidester, host
    ....What would a Wrangler be like that responds directly to your wishes? :-)....

I guess she's be about 5'10", 130lbs and ......... I think I'd better stop there!

Well you asked (actually I did once know a girl named Rangler, which is close enough).

I had something closer to 5'10" and 3200 pounds in mind! I almost bought one back in '87 but the domestic tranquility factor took precedence. :-)

tidester, host

;--)
    Domestic Tranquility Factor... hadn't heard that term before, but I really like it :)

-Paul
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Loved it! Don't know that my addiction will ever match Tom's, but it was fun.

I enjoyed the afternoon more than our morning. The sight of a tree getting ever closer as the jeep slides sideways was not enjoyable. In the afternoon, we did more creek driving; up and down the banks in a few places, climbing over logs and rocks.

I've took quite a few good pictures but didn't get any of myself. There was one other person that had a digital camera, I know she took at least one picture of me; on our last climb up and out of the creek and jumping over a log that was laying at the top of the bank. I hope the picture is as good as it felt!

This was a lot more fun than the first time, when

the jeep was stock and high centered several times. one of the guys had a stock unlimited, he was having a problem with that too. The lift and tires has solved that problem for me.

jeff
    You're welcome!

So, when ya comin' down here to wheel with me at Turkey Bay, Jeff?????

Tom

I'll be there this weekend too. C'mon down! :)

I'm running essentially stock for now, but I see the letters "OME + 32's" calling me from the horizon!

-Paul
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    besides nicole there is also a "heather" in my life now that might not be so understanding if I'm not spending valentines day weeekend with her after she has already made plans.

she was more understanding than i expected this weekend,, I told her I'd leave pike county (where we were wheeln') around noon, and be to her house around 3. there was no reception where we were, so I didn't get a chance to call her until i was finally leaving ~3.

I helped her dad work on the plumbing at her house, I guess i redeemed myself.

jeff
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    funny stuff guys

whaddya know, it works.

Thanks tidester

-Dan
    Does Nicole know you are cheating on her with Heather????

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Just bring Heather along - it only takes once or twice and she could get hooked, too! Have fun everyone - maybe I'll head over to see if they've re-opened any of my favorite easy roads (probably not - they're still working on more major roads).
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    sound like a fun trip, luv to see the pics. I to enjoy offroad but not the extreme rock crawling, straddling ravines etc. im way to much of a white knuckler. I would probably have much more fun if i had a jeep beater and did not think about dents and scratches........Jeff