Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    my clerk drives a cherokee, i have no idea why, she doesn't even like a little snow on the ground let alone the thought of driving through a creek (pronounced crik)

when i was looking to buy my jeep, she suggested that I buy a beater jeep and get a sportscar for my DD. I dred ever telling her that I've thought about wanting a beater jeep to go offroad with, i don't want to hear the " I told you so!" .
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I think we may be confusing nomenclature, but only because I'm probably mislabling / poorly describing the part.

Of the two you listed, the second "push on" part sounds like it might be the one. I discovered the part in question, the plastic clip, actually pulls right off the carpet (and thus pushes right back on). There is no marking on it, but I will take the part and your part number to the service center and see if it matches up.

Thanks.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v603/jeff62301/pokeys%20run/

sorry, no pictures of my jeep, I was the one with the camera and didn't have a good opportunity to pass it off to anyone else.

Pike County Illinois is just north of where the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers meet, very rough farm ground and lots of timber, gently rolling

hills & bluffs along the rivers. More whitetail deer are harvested during hunting season here than any other county in the US.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Looks like great fun and a good mix of Jeeps.
  • lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    How is the best way to go about getting a seat belt for the middle of the back bench seat? We have two kids, but sometimes there is an extra tagging along. Also, how would you go about installing a belt in the jeep so that it is secure? Thanks.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Can't believe we haven't had any posting in over 24 hrs.

I don't know how you would go about getting that third seatbelt installed, Isujeep. Good luck, though. Can anyone help here?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It could be done with an aftermarket lap belt, but I wouldn't.........too many liability issues.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    seat belts attach at one point making a tear drop if you were to add both sides of a seat belt to it.
    ............a Jeep is the vehicle of choice.

The H1 is in for service at the nearest Hummer dealer, which is about 100 miles away. I'd do it myself, but the first three years or thirty six thousand miles of servicing is free (no, make that pre-paid in the original purchase price).

Anyhow, we were given a new Cadillac DeVille as a loaner ("Sorry sir, it's all we have left"). Very luxurious, all the bells and whistles, but guess which one sits unused at the end of the driveway, and which gets used for running the daily errands?

:--)
    Mac:

Bummer about hour Hummer, hope you get it back before summer. I would write more, but it would just be even dumber. :)

Tom

Tom,

It's sad to see that you're going rapidly downhill, from punning to doggerel. Maybe we on the forum can all get together to hold an intervention, or at least find you a self help group?

Best wishes for your future recovery,

Mac

ROTFL! I can't possibly top that!
    But Old Man and the Jeep? :)

I can see THAT going downhill REAL quick!

... now where's my winch?! :)

-Paul

Yeah, it's Friday... nothing else explains it
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    ..too funny.
    John,

I seem to remember in an earlier post you mentioning finding some back roads to drive on in CT.

Were these State Forest roads, by any chance?

I checked the CT state forest/parks site and didn't really find anything.

Just looking for some areas off the beaten path I can kill a roll of film on.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.
    Is that really a word??? I'll bet you made that up!!!!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today/
    It's for real, and nothing to do with Ross Allen either!

doggerel (dô´ger-el, dòg´er-) also doggrel (dôg´rel, dòg´-) noun

Crudely or irregularly fashioned verse, often of a humorous or burlesque nature.

[From Middle English, poor, worthless, from dogge, dog. See dog.]

- dog´gerel adjective

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

I was referring the first definition by the way.

Ross Allen read that definition of doggerel, and he is highly offended about the equating of "dog" and "worthless!"

Tom

Nah, he's just hamming it up! Word definitions rate pretty low on a dog's priorities. He's just appearing to have hurt feelings so that you'll feel sorry for him and give him a nice juicy hamburger! There aren't many problems that an edible treat won't fix for my dog.

;--)
    This past Saturday, I took my essentially stock 97 TJ with 30" tires (BFG AT's) to Turkey Bay for what I THOUGHT would be a day of wheeling in dirt... yeah right.

It was MUDDY! Turkey Bay seems designed for those people who have a lift and bigger tires. I high centered once - kinda fun having your Jeep spin like a top. :) I dropped down off a small ledge and smacked and bent my factory gas skid. I'll need to do something about that.

I also found out my valve head covers still have a leak. I was in Dog Leg and leaned over pretty good. My engine started smoking. Checked things out after Tom winched me out and I was able to finish the run. I got hung up on a tree root! ARGH Anyway, the leak is back, so it is time to degrease the engine, remove the head cover AGAIN, re RTV the seal, and try again. Time for some deep sockets and new bolts this time so I can be sure I have it right and tight.

Regardless of this, I had a good time. :) If I had aired down, I may have done a bit better, but I can't complain. I thought I was fairly decent at this offroading thing after being in California. But, man, the goo you drive through out here is NOTHING like in California. Tom has all kinds of pictures on his other site.

-Paul
    That goo is why I'm happy way out here - since we don't have any of it, I don't have to worry about it. Of course, we have to worry about sand instead. And that sand can get EVERYWHERE - why do you think I prefer the mountains to the desert for my 'wheeling?
    Hey, Good Old Paul did a good job out there on the trails at Turkey Bay. The dude was not afraid to try stuff. Dogleg was a bit much for a stock Jeep on 30" AT's and open diffs, but he darn near made it anyway.

Paul made it through some places that he should be proud of.

Tom

a locker up front may be in my future... :)

-Paul
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    I saw in the 05 brochure that the Rubicon has an SYE in it. Is this new for 05 or was the SYE also present in 03 and/or 04?

Also, is there enough room behind the rear seats (when not-folded) of all the SWB TJs for a milk crate? I know this sounds odd, but in my job I will be using my "future" TJ to cart equipment around, and it fits inside a milk crate...just more research towards my purchase! I am guessing this is a no-brainer for the LWB Unlimited.

My finances like the idea of a used TJ better, and I like the idea of an 03-04 Rubicon!
    All the Rubicons have the same style of rear propeller shaft, with a slip joint in the middle and a conventional yoke at each end. The other models have the slip joint at the transfer case end of the shaft.

I don't think a milk crate will fit, but our rear seat was removed when we first brought it home and has never been replaced.
  • jeepmcdjeepmcd Member Posts: 4
    I have a new Unlimited(soft top) and in this unusually wet weather we are having in Southern California the front passenger side floorboard keeps accumulating water. I can't see a leak from the roof or the door. It appears to be coming from underneath. Has anybody seen this before? We don't get much rain out here so I am not too worried about it but very curious.
    check to see if any drain plugs are loose in the floor. :) You may be bringing it in while driving... you may also want to check for grommet holes w/o grommets in your firewall.

If you don't see a leak from your top anywhere, it could be one of the above or possibly a leak around the windshield going behind the dash.

-Paul
    This has been an on/off problem for TJs since their inception. If it's not water finding its way in from the outside, then it's almost certainly condensate backing up from the HVAC. "Not much rain" and "passenger side floorboard" are the clues here. The cure is a 90º elbow that fits over the drain tube on the engine side of the firewall. It's either fallen off, or was never fitted.
    I'm with MAC. My backseat is rarely in my Jeep.

It spends most of the time in a corner of my Apt.

If you must leave the back seat in the Jeep, you can always just fold it up and tip it forward when it's not in use.

-Dan
    Jeff:

Man, are they STILL having that problem??? Wow!

One thing you can check is to see if water is running down the inside of the firewall under the carpet and pooling in the foot well. Dry everything out good, and then run water on the louvre on the cowl between the windshield and the hood.

See if water starts running down the inside of the firewall after a while.

If it does, then it is most likely a poor seal where the heater box goes through the firewall. My Thelma Jane had that problem, and it was fixed under warranty in one trip to the dealer. The leak has not come back.

I know of one case where a guy had the problem, and when he took it to the dealer to be checked out, they told him that the factory had not installed ANYTHING to seal the heater box!

Tom

I went wheelin' for the first time.

One time was all it took: I was hooked for life!

Here's a pic of the three Jeeps we had in the group that day. The guy on the right in the gold sweatshirt was my guide. We had hooked up over the Internet, and he was kind enough to take a rookie in a stock Jeep out on the trails.

Thanks, Rod!

Tom

I'm like just about everyone else so far - the seat came out of my Sport years ago and is doubling as a saddle rack under my stairs. The seat is still in the Unlimited.

I think that the milk crate wouldn't fit because of the tilt to the seat back. It's footprint might fit (maybe). You wouldn't have a problem if the seat is tumbled forward.

It would easily fit in the back of the Unlimited with the seat in place. It's amazing how much room there is.
  • scott919scott919 Member Posts: 17
    have had my unlimited for just 3 weeks today and

love it. I had a 95 wrangler that I purchased new in late fall of 94. then in 2000 I thought I needed a p/u, dodge dakota to be exact. I went from the jeep with no service issues what so ever

to a problem riddled truck. I hope my experience with this jeep will be as good as my first. On my

second tank of gas it's already getting 19mpg.
    I get anywhere from 17 plus to 19 plus gas mileage in my Unlimited (almost all highway, some slow-n-go and some major elevation loss and gain). Is yours an auto or a manual?

I had an issue with the autodimming mirror a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to have disappeared on its own. I've started watching to see if there are any issues at all but haven't found anything yet. I'm thinking that I should get any potential problem to the dealer pretty soon - at just over 24,000 miles I'm starting to think about when it is no longer under warranty.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    24,000 miles…Wow!! How long have you had the unlimited?

I can’t complain about my mileage anymore…I've had EM for a little over a year now and I am just coming up to 24,000 miles.

G
    It will be 4 months tomorrow since I bought GiGi (Sept. 17th).

The trip to Wyoming added a bunch of unexpected miles, but with a daily commute of 154 miles (assuming no stops) and a 35 mile drive to any urban area for most weekend shopping, it mounts up. Then there was the trip to St. George, and almost monthly weekend trips to Vegas (family).

The Taco that we used to have wasn't our full time car - it was 2WD so we drove the Sport whenever it looked like the roads were iffy. Now it's looking like we'll be putting something like 50,000 a year on GiGi, but hardly anything on my Noble Black Steed (who does get some "exercise" on the weekends, though less and less as time goes by).
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    I too would remove the rear seat if possible, however this will be my daily driver and I pick up our kids from pre-school every week day then drive 5 min. home. So I will have two car seats in the back at all times, hence the room behind the seat.

I want a stick, and cannot financially swing an new 05 Unlmtd. 6-spd., but I can get a great deal on many used 03-04 SWB TJs seen online.

So, it looks like I will have to wait another year and continue driving my sad, non trail-worthy SUV until used 05s Unl. TJs pop up...ho-hum
    external racks of some type. Roof racks. Racks for the back both above and below the spare... you have choices.

Remember, Jeeps are VERY customizable. Just have to be creative. :)

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    gman and mtngal,

That's a lot of miles--even for a year. I've had my rubi for 10 months and just rolled over 6K.
    -Paul
  • chow3chow3 Member Posts: 37
    Stopped and drove a wrangler x with the new 6 speed this week. Thinking about getting rid of a problem free Liberty(2 wd) for the fun factor. A few thoughts--- Seat very low compared to older cj's I have owned and Liberty---6 speed and 4.o very nice together. It is small on room and with two small children (3&6) I wonder if it will be a problem.(I do like the size and handling) I am looking for a base sport to compare as I would like the hard doors tinted windows and tire package. Now to convince the wife it is not a crazy mid life crisis thing
    I was in the same boat a little over four years ago. That's when I wrote this poem.

Momma don't understand,

And I could just strangle 'er.

Daddy's got to have,

A brand new Wrangler.

I toss and I turn,

And can't go to sleep.

I'm thinkin' about,

That brand new Jeep.

She's shiny and white,

With a top that is black.

Thirty inch tires,

And a spare on the back.

Mortgage the house,

Rob the 401 K.

Get a down payment,

For that new TJ.

Some way, somehow,

She's gonna be mine.

I'll get that Jeep,

And Momma can whine.

Hey, do what I did: get the Wrangler! I have never regretted it, and it cured me from wanting to trade all the time. I am just as excited about that Jeep (Thelma Jane) as I was four years ago when I first got her. I have NEVER before been this crazy about a vehicle, and I have certainly never before been even close to this excited about one after four years!

Tom

SoCal definitely does that to you! Of course, it helps that I don't like urban areas...

chow3 - a SWB TJ is very short space when you are talking about 2 kids, though at least only 1 of them is small (and isn't going to stay that way much longer). Getting large awkward things into and out of the back seat (i.e., a car seat) of a Wrangler is a challenge - make sure you can comfortably do it before you make up your mind.

Yes, the seats are quite a bit lower. I still haven't done anything about getting blocks to raise mine up, but I will eventually (there are some other things, like a house roof leak that come first).

The problem with Wrangler fever is that once you get it, it never goes away. Has your wife test driven one yet? It only took driving one once for me to catch Wrangler fever. Don't do what I did - wait 20 years before finally buying one - get it now and enjoy it!
    and are concerned about space, consider the Unlimited. Mtngal can give all kinds of impressions on it. I have a SWB TJ myself, but would LOVE to get my hands on a Rubi Unlimited. :)

-Paul
    space was my concern when buying a jeep,

the unlimited has alot of room in the back. when I switched tires ( leaving the backseat in but folded) I had all 5 original tires and my 33" spare in the back.

I sold my tires, and picked up my soft top the same weekend. I had the 5 original tires and my softop all in the back of the jeep (seat out)

************************ no it wasn't comfortable, one of the supports for the soft top was poking me in the head most of the drive home************* but I did get it in there.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Looks like ya had a good time, i need to find me a place like that to go offroad.....
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Tom,

Ya ever run into any of these guys on the trail....I tell ya i would luv a place close by to go trail riding thats legal....ive cut across my lawn a few times, now i need to bring in a load of dirt and dump it out front, LOL........
    I thought there were places up towards Denton that you could do that. You may also want to look at the Ardmore/Lake Murray area in Oklahoma. I seem to recall places to wheel up there.

-Paul
  • krispykeithkrispykeith Member Posts: 19
    That is so funny because I have been debating the same exact thing and I too have a Liberty that has been great so far. I have been trading WAY too much and have myself in some negative equity. I think the problem is I keep wanting a Wrangler and my wife keeps saying "not practical"...so I substitute something else and always spend my time thinking "I still wish I had a Wrangler".

I also have a 3 and 6 year old, but we also have a minivan as my wife's vehicle so the only time we are in my Libby is when i pick them up daily after work for a short trip home.

Let me know how your situation turns out.
    Negative equity???

You want to talk upside down on trade-in, I was $8000 upside down when I got Thelma Jane! I got $1000 over average trade-in value on my Grand Prix, but I was still $8000 upside down.

I had to take out a home equity loan to cover most of that deficit in order to make the deal.

Now that's wanting a Wrangler pretty bad, huh?

I DO NOT REGRET HAVING DONE IT ONE BIT!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!

Tom