Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Recommendations for cargo space

aquamarineaquamarine Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Toyota
I want to add space for cargo on the roof of my 2001 Corolla. (Also I like the idea of the carrier making my vehicle "taller".)

But those hard carriers with the curved look are funny to me. Don't they make a boxy one that gives you more inner space? I want to get as much space as I can, within reason.

Or, I am considering adding a roof rack, and getting a carrier made for another vehicle, and strapping it down to the roof rack. Rails may be better in that case.

I would like a cheap way to achieve this. I will spend if needed, but if I can get something decent for cheaper, I will.

I was planning to buy parts and find someone unemployed to install them cheaply.

Also, what's the deal with trunk racks and blocking the rear windshield. That's illegal in some states and not others? Illegal only if you block the drivers' side?

Ideas please?

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Keep in mind the weight factor when loading up the top of your Corolla.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    Making your car taller with a roof carrier will only make it easier to roll over in an accident, especially if there's more than 100 lb or so up there.

A boxy carrier will reduce your mpg's through higher wind resistance.

I've learned over the years that I can't afford the cheap things, because I end up paying for the decent things anyway.
  • aquamarineaquamarine Member Posts: 2
    I will only put light things in it 95% of the time. I think I'll wait for a deal on an aerodynamic carrier too.
This discussion has been closed.