Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi johnpatrick3. Yes, BMW is still running an early lease termination program on the X3 in June. In addition to that, if you are a current X3 lessee who gets a new X3 you are eligible for a special $1,500 loyalty cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • biggdbiggd Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 X3 that comes off a 36 month lease next month. I just received my end of lease options from BMW Finance. My current monthly payment is $428/month, risidual buyout is approx $30,000.

If I want to extend my lease for 1 year the monthly payments are $1149/month. If I want to buy the car my monthly payments for 60 months are $609/mo at 6.4% financing.

Has anyone else experienced this from BMW?. It is not exactly a "customer retention" program.

I like the X3 and would like something similar at around the same monthly lease payment.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    I have no idea why you want to buy the car in the first place - see my experience - but all remaining new 2009's are supposed to have a 0.99% financing option. Car sales are again falling off a cliff at least for some manufacturer's so buyers are again in charge.

What the heck was on your car that you would have such a high residual after 3 years of payments?

I have never leased anything - buy outright - so I am wondering why your used car would be worth $1200 - the price of a moderately sized mortgage. I would say to forget the blooming car, get a new one at a better price from a better manufacturer and put the remainder toward a mortgage on an asset that has a decent price of appreciating.

Just my two cents.
  • biggdbiggd Member Posts: 4
    The risidual was set by BMW Finance at the time of the promotion in order to keep the payments low and push the cars out the doors
    So does that mean that if you buy the car outright you will be paying now for the promo that you received up front?

The difference in 60 months between your 'used' car rate and the 'new' car rate is about $75/month. The same monthly payment buys you a $34,000 new car...if you financed the entire thing. Check the math though using a loan calculator. I'm just plugging in the numbers you have plus you have to add in the full warranty of the new car...not entirely sure what that is worth but it is worth something especially on cars with average reliability.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

I would take a look at other cars and deals out there.

My two cents.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    1) You won't be able to extend the lease at any reasonable price, so just can that option..

2) Contact BMWFS... Tell them you might be interested in purchasing your car, but nowhere near that inflated residual... ask them to give you a realistic price, and you might consider it... Sometimes, they'll drop the residual... sometimes not..

3) If 2) doesn't work.... contact your dealer, and tell them the same thing.. You might be interested in purchasing your car, but not at that price... Can you save me a substantial amount? BMWFS will sell the car to the dealer for the MMR (auction) price. They'll mark it up to make a profit (the key is:how much), but you should be able to get it cheaper..

4) If all else fails, do not buy the car for the residual... You got a great lease deal because of that unrealistic residual.. If you buy the car for that amount, you give your great deal back to BMWFS...

Good luck!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What about a used :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: instead?

I would, of course, say RUN far, far away but what about a used one instead? This idiotic car is at the end of its run anyway and they will start manufacturing them in NC instead of in an Austrian OEM plant.

Drive a cheapo used one for a few years and see what comes up next. I don't know if this is a good bet but will they actually bother to fix the ride and the transmission problems? Maybe they will revert back to the 5 speed transmission or, heck, maybe not.

At any rate, why take the risk?
  • donjadonja Member Posts: 2
    I'm coming in at the end of December on my 3yr 2007 X3 lease. Sport pkg, premium pkg, cold weather pkg; no navigation. My cap cost reduction pmt was $2974, monthly pmts made total $22248, contract residual value is $30799. I've been happy with the vehicle and would like to purchase it. I've seen some blogs where people have claimed to get as much as $9000 off the residual from BMWFS.
    Anyone else have experience with BMW reducing the residual amount to entice a lease-end purchase?
  • poorboytoopoorboytoo Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know the lease money factor and residual values for the 2010 X3? Need 10,000, 12,000 and 15,000 mile values.
  • tmasjrtmasjr Member Posts: 30
    I am also interested, '10 X3 10,000 miles, 39, 36 or 24 lease specials? Please advise on the money factor and residuals. Thanks.
    Hi poorboytoo. Sorry for the delay in my response. I took some time off for the holidays. Here's the new January numbers for the vehicle that you're interested in.

BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 BMX X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 57%, respectively.

This truck's 12,000 mile per year residual value is 2% higher. Its 10,000 mile per year residual is 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tmasjr. I don't believe that BMW is currently offering 39 month leases on the X3.

Please see my previous post for the 36-month data that you're interested in.

BMW FS' money factor for 24-month leases is the same, but its 24-month, 10,000 mile per year residual value for the 2010 X3 is 66%.

Car_man
    Host
  • hugo5hugo5 Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2010
    Hi guys,

It's been three years and now my lease is coming to an end. I have been paying $420/month on a 36 month/10000 lease. I called BMW, dealer and financial services to see what my options were. I told them that I would like to go lower on payments, couldn't effort to put any money down, but would be interested in extending the lease, buying this car, getting a pre owned or changing into another model, and they totally blew me off. To buy this car, which , with 18 000 on it, now has a value of 27 000 plus tax on a 60 month plan would cost me over 600 month, the 2011 x3 would come to over 600 month on the same kind of lease that I had before, didn't even ask if I had to put money down for that, and for under $420, she couldn't even put me into a regular 3 series. She told me that I could possible extend my lease for 18 month at the same rate, which I thought was weird. Why would I wanna pay the same monthly rate on a 3 year old car, as I was paying for it when it was new, and she told me that I wasn't being charged any tax right now. I am confused. I have been driving BMW's for the last 12 years, and just felt that she blew me off. Is BMW doing that well that they don't even try to work with you or try to find something that would work with my budget, as the lease end letter promises. I told her I was willing to go with a used car...I'd like to stay with a german car, and possible with the same kind of size car, to fit kids and toys, and their bikes and scooters in, any suggestions? Best case scenario: no money down, $300/month...I know this is all over the place, and possible not even in the right category...just really frazzeled right now.
    Thanks,
    Hugo
    German... for $300/mo.? The only thing that comes to mind is a Golf or a Jetta...

They aren't BMWs, but are pretty nice cars..

As far as why you would re-lease for $420/mo.? Because the payments on a new one are $600++. Might not be a great deal, but if you want to stay in the same type/make/model of vehicle, it's really your only choice.. You can't really lease any new BMW for under $500/mo., without some money upfront.

X3 leases from '06 to '08 models were dirt cheap... extremely low in comparison to their MSRPs... Those deals are hard to come by..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The passat might be possible for under $500 zero down. There are also some deals on Audi 4's with few options other than heated seats. Check out the Tiguan as well.
  • hugo5hugo5 Member Posts: 68
    I guess I am gonna have to give up on the BMW experience. The lowest I got so far is same price around $420/month with $2700 down including 8.875 tax for a 328i
    I don't have the down pay and I can't swing the $420/month anymore.. I checked VW's incl Tiguan, Passat and Jetta and it seems that without money down, teh only thing close is a real basic Jetta...Aren't we in a recession? Here is what I got offered for Passat and Tiguan:

2.) Passat, automatic transmission, Komfort model.
    370/month with 2,600 up front

3.) Tiguan, front wheel drive and auto transmission, Wolfsburg model.
    359/month with 2,400 up front.

If I role the upfront into the monthy, which is what I did on the X3, I am looking at the same payment as my X3 for a much lesser car in both cases?

Is the Jetta a decent car for the buck? any other suggestion on cars I should look into? Should I consider buying used and any chance I can find something BMW used with no money down for $300/month?
  • njwillnjwill Member Posts: 1
    My wife is planning on leasing a new 2010 X3. I was hoping someone would be able to provide the current money factor and residual % for a 36 month 10,000 miles per year lease.

Thanks.
    Anyone who is familiar with BMW Financial Services knows that since the beginning of time it has used a pass / fail system for its lease approval process. Either consumers qualified for its best available rates or they could not lease through BMW FS at all...and your credit had to be pretty messed up for the latter to happen.

Yesterday BMW announced that BMW FS is introducing a tiered system for its lease program. Its rates now vary by credit tier, with the people who have the best credit scores getting slightly better rates than what was available last month and much higher money factors for people with low credit scores.

I should be able to get the full details of this new program some time today. Please feel free to post your questions about it here and I'll gladly fill you in on what I am able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
  • redbone55redbone55 Member Posts: 43
    Are there any lease specials currently being offered on the X3?
  • sdhlaw1701sdhlaw1701 Member Posts: 5
    Carman,

Can you tell me what the money factor and residual value would be for a 2010 X3 with the Premium Package on a 36 month 12,000 miles per year lease? Thanks.
    Hi redbone55. BMW is providing lease support on the 2010 X3, but I wouldn't exactly say that its current program on it is amazing.

BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00150 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, sdhlaw1701.

BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 X3 with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Does anyone know what proportion of BMWs are leased versus purchased?

It seems as if most of the new ones are leased and then someone else purchases the lease returns. Just a wild guess from the chatter.
    Interesting question pp2009pp. The percentage of BMWs that are leased varies from model to model and from month to month. On many BMW models practically half of them are leased.

Car_man
    Host
  • sgaistersgaister Member Posts: 1
    Carman,

Can you tell me what the money factor and residual is on the 2010 X3 ---36 month with 15,000 miles/year?

Thank you,
    sgaister
    I'd be happy to help you out, sgaister.

BMW Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 46%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

As you can see, BMW is not really providing any lease support on this truck right now, but it is providing $4,000 dealer cash on it. Make sure to take this cash into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • lmariorodlmariorod Member Posts: 21
    I'd wait on the re-designed 2011 version that'll cost 2k less than the 2010 and offer a better residual.
    Nothing like the Q5 to offer competition and reveal how over-priced the X3 has been all these years.
    That's excellent advice, lmariorod. The current generation X3 has been sort of dead in the water for a while now.

Car_man
    Host
  • njbmwpanjbmwpa Member Posts: 5
    Hi there... I got a lease quote from my local dealer - and here is what they quoted me:

Car built:

2011 BMW X3 with Metallic paint
    -Cargo Net
    -Heated Steering Wheel
    -Heated Front Seats
    -Navigation
    -Panoramic Roof
    -Power Tailgate
    -Smartphone integration
    -Xenon Headlights

36 months
    $2542.39 due at signing ($750 is a security deposit which will be returned)
    10,000 miles per year
    $738.44 with tax included...payment

FYI tax is 10% where I live...

Is this a bad deal? It seems somewhat high considering you can get an X5 for maybe $120 more a month and that is a whole heck of a lot more car... figured it was a bit high - more so since my quotes on the X5 were not much higher & taking into account the lower base price... based on my calculations - I am looking at paying roughly 54.8% of the truck - meaning the residual value is in the toilet... I think the salesman either needs to tell his finance group to sharpen their pencils... or check out another dealer... I am in no rush to get into a vehicle, yet, but am trying to get a ball park... I am waiting on a response to what residual value it is that BMW is using since it was just released to the dealers.

Any opinions/advice/etc.. would be appreciated!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    If you're looking to get into a brand spankin new 2011 BMW X3, leasing is not the way to go. The 54.8% residual value is probably about right since the vehicle is brand new (has it even hit the showrooms yet?) and the residual value in 3 years cannot be predicted. Furthermore, being that the X3 isn't out yet (or is just hitting dealer lots) means that BMW doesn't have to boost the residual value (like when I leased my wife's X3 in '07 - 65%) or offer a dirt cheap money factor.

Even the X5 which has been out for a while (same body style since '07 MY) has never had lease rates that have blown my socks off.

I think if you are looking for a BMW truck right now, the way to go is an X5. The MSRP will be more compared to the X3, but you can negotiate a "skinny" $1000 over invoice deal + get crazy cheap financing (I think BMWFS is offering 1.9% for 60 months). If you only do the 10,000 (less than 200 miles per week? Who does that?) miles per year, then in 3 years you'll have a 2011 X5 in great condition, still under factory warranty, that you'll be able to sell for more than you owe the bank.

Obviously either way you go isn't cheap. If you really want the new X3, then you should wait. Otherwise you'll be paying a premium to lease the first one on the block.

Good luck & keep us informed!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• chris1361chris1361 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me whether a 15000/36month Lease for a base model 2011 X3 for $560.00 month with $2,500 out of pocket is a good/bad deal?
    Hi chris1361. It's much easier to evaluate this deal if we know what this truck's MSRP and selling price are. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without these numbers it is much more difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what they are and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly tell you what they think.

Car_man
    Host
  • jlsellersjlsellers Member Posts: 38
    Just wondering if BMWFS has issued the lease factors for the 2011 X3 yet? I cannot find it posted anywhere with the other November lease factors.
    You probably won't... can't get an X3 in November, can you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Actually you can order now and the BMW website has the X3 models listed with their current lease specials. I just cannot figure out from the details what the lease factor is. I will ask my dealer and post what they tell me.
    Well.. you are correct... if they have a proposed lease, then someone has to know the residuals and money factors... From the ad on the website, you can extrapolate the residual..

On the X3 2.8 model, the 3yr/45K residual is 56%... I'd guess that they are using the standard BMWFS lease money factor, right now... which should be somewhere around .0023 (but, that's just a guess on the money factor).

You can't extrapolate all the numbers, because the ad doesn't reveal the selling price (or CAP cost) that they are using.. ("may require dealer contribution").

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• blackfx35blackfx35 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any idea what credit scores BMWFS looks for to determine lease MF rates? Do they take into consideration income or is it strictly credit? It sounds like they previously had pass/fail, but have recently changed it to a tiered system. Do you know what the score was for the pass/fail system. Thanks.
    You are correct, both models are 56 percent, and both the same on the MF. My dealer was not showing a holiday credit but I am just noticing that there may be one, too, which makes it a pretty good lease. I have bought several BMW's there and they quoted $700 over invoice on an order, production begins in January but because it is built in SC he says the vehicle will arrive 2 weeks after start of production.

There was an auto show in Phoenix last weekend but the dealer had the X3 in the showroom.
    The brochure that I just got in the mail says the X3 doesn't qualify for Holiday Cash... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Just got the same brochure. One of the dealer websites clearly, but mistakenly, said it applies to "selected 2011 X3 Models." I spent an hour trying to track it down but decided it was just a mistake. Thanks for the follow up.

I've read and seen such good things about the new X3 that we are going to order one to replace my wife's SRX, which she liked much better that her earlier X3. Even though there are really good rates on the Mercedes ML 350 (She's "always wanted a mercedes"), everything in invetory has $6,000 to $8,000 of options, and the dealers don't seem to want to order or to pass though rates without marking them up, so that vehicle ends up costing much more. They also imply that they can't hold current lease rates if you order. The X3 looks and drives better anyway.
  • niclaf77niclaf77 Member Posts: 40
    Hi,

This site has been extremely helpful in leasing my last two vehicles and I am looking for information once again on the BMW X3 28i. I would like to know what the money factor and residual is on this vehicle for 36 months with both 10,000 and 12,000 miles per year. I am in NJ. From my research, it appears that the msrp before options is about $38,000 and the invoice is about $33,000. How much above invoice should I try for this vehicle. In addition, I am turning in a bmw - is there currently any loyalty cash or other incentives that I should be aware of and if so, would that be applied after I negotiate the final price of the car?

I have also looked at the volvo xc60 and am trying to determine which of these cars is the better deal right now.

thanks so much!
    nicole
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    is what you are concerned with, then you're probably going to end up with the Volvo. They've probably got cash or lease incentives that BMW is currently not providing on the just released 2011 X3. Good luck & keep us posted!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hi nicole. Here's the information that you're looking for.

BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X3 28i with 12,000 miles per year are .00230 and 58%, respectively.

The residual value for an otherwise identical lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for the new X3 right now in your area. I would think that dealers would try to get as much for a new model as possible when it first comes out, particularly a new SUV in the middle of winter. I personally would be comfortable paying $1,000 over invoice. Shoot for it and see what happens.

Car_man
    Host
    hi,

thanks for the information that you provided last month regarding the 2011 bmw x3 28i. the dealer that i am working with has indicated that the programs have slightly improved on this car for the month of january. do you have those numbers for 36 months with 10,000 and 12,000 miles per year? also, any incentives i should be aware of?

thanks!
    nicole
    You're welcome nicole. Here's an update for you.

BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X3 28i with 12,000 miles per year are .00205 and 58%, respectively.

This factor drops to .00175 for loyal customers.

If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this truck's residual values would be 2% higher.

BMW is not currently providing any cash incentives that I am aware of on the X3.

Car_man
    Host
    wow - glad that i followed up for the new january numbers b/c this is different than what i got from the dealer. here is everything i was given by the dealer and if you wouldn't mind looking at these numbers and letting me know if the fees are marked up too?

I think the selling price is a good deal - I am going to be ordering a 2011 X3 28i with heated seats and moonroof for 36 months in NJ with 10,000 miles per year.

MSRP - $39665
    Invoice - Approx. - $36,370
    Selling Price - $36,900
    Money Factor - .00205 (I am a current BMW lessee, which they know so I should qualify for the .00175 but there was no mention of that)
    Residual - 59% (just want to confirm whether it is actually 60% b/c in the last post you wrote for 12,000 it would be 2% higher but I think it should say 10,000 - so I am not sure if the residual is actually 59% or 60% for 10,000 miles per year).

Now as far as out-of-pocket fees:
    First month payment - $?
    Bank Fee - $725
    DMV - approx $300
    Tire Fee - $7.50
    Dealer Doc Fee - $249.00 (I thought I read here in another posting that this was lower but I want to confirm before I go back to the dealer).

Lastly, if I decide to roll all fees in and do a sign and drive - how would i add that to the calculation? Does it add on to the selling price or get added it after the initial calculation?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Nicole
    Hey Nicole. The numbers for a 36 month, 10k lease of this truck are .00175 and 59% for loyal customers.

If you decide to roll the fees that you would normally have to pay at lease signing into your payment, you will have to add them to your car's capitalized cost before your payment is calculated.

Car_man
    Host
  • jrr766jrr766 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

What is required to qualify for the loyal customer rate? I have never leased a BMW of any kind, but I currently have a Z4 that I am financing through BMW Financial services. Should I be able to get the .00175 rate on an X3?

Thanks
    If you currently have a BMW financed with BMWFS, you should qualify...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• redbone55redbone55 Member Posts: 43
    Does this sound like a decent deal:

Starting MSRP: $36,750.00

Premium Package: leather seating, panoramic sunroof, interior light package, auto dimming mirrors, lumbar support, storage package and universal garage door opener. $3,450.00
    Heated Front Seats: $500.00
    Heated Steering Wheel: $190.00
    Satin Roof Rails: $250.00
    Satellite Radio with 1 year subscription: $350.00
    Destination Charge: $875.00

MSRP: $ 42,365.00

Money Factor: .00220
    Residual: 58% or MSRP

Lease Structure;

36 Months / 12,000 miles per year

0 Cap Cost Reduction with only 1st payment and a $75.00 tag/doc. fee due at signing would garner a monthly payment of $678.91.*

$1,500.00 total due at signing would garner a payment of $655.76* per month.

$3,000.00 total due at signing would garner a payment of $609.15* per month.

*Taxes and fees included.
This discussion has been closed.