Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2012
    Subaru Web site - XV Blog
    Then click the specs link inthe upper right.

XV Crosstrek MPG
    25-33 for the CVT
    23-30 for the manual
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    So it loses a couple, bummer. Pretty much offsets the increase in fuel capacity.

Of course it will probably be equipped nicely, even base models.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I haven't seen the XV in person, so that's just my initial impression. In the end, styling isn't what sells me or turns me away, but it can sway me if other things don't stand above the competition.

Sounds like our needs/priorities align pretty well, though. There's no way I would buy an otherwise-perfect car if I don't enjoy the drive. That's why I really need to take the time to drive the Impreza! The trick is thinking about it at the same time the local dealership has a manual on the lot. I don't mind test-driving the CVT, but I hate to bias my initial opinion of the car that way. :D

To be fair, though, Subaru's CVT is a very good automatic transmission. I drove a Legacy Limited 2.5i last summer just to try it out at a friend's suggestion, and it left me with a much better impression than I expected.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    where did you buy it from? hard copy? electronic? happy with it? (i see the there is someone on the web selling an electonic copy of it for $15 (i think that was it))

thanks for sharing any experiences...
  • hempy7777hempy7777 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a sport limited with moon roof and navi on Feb 9th, I finally received my VIN and a delivery date of May 11th today. If it comes by then it will be just over 13 weeks.
    I am in the same boat as you where my truck has been limping along, I had to replace the fuel pump this week, I do sort of regret ordering rather than getting a car on the lot but hopefully when my car comes I will be happy with the decision to get what I wanted.
    Good Luck!
    Demand is strong, I bet you would have had to compromise on color or options, maybe even both.

We custom-ordered a Forester and have no regrets. It's *exactly* the car we wanted.

Have no regrets - in the long-term you'll be much happier. Small price to pay, really.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Anybody know if adding an aftermarket kit will void any warranty on this car? Will a 2011 WRX version fit? Looking for ways to make it even funner to drive, and adding this kit is the way to go per many subie owners from other forums. :shades:
  • jth97381jth97381 Member Posts: 9
    I just heard from two different dealers that Subaru will stop accepting orders for 2012 Imprezas Saturday. Not sure if that is this saturday or next. But I would encurage anyone seriously thinking of ordering one to do so soon. I just happend to order mine last week. I got a 2012 Subaru Impreza Limited sedan CVT PZEV with sunroof and splash gaurds, maybe a few other little things, but not much. Paid $21,575. I guess it was $750 under invoice.
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    Why would Subaru want to stop selling the 2012?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2012
    because they have to start selling 2013 at some point... apparently, that point is soon.

Outback orders for 2012s stopped a few weeks ago. '13 Outbacks are rumored to be available in June.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Without wishing to impune the integrity of car salesmen' it sounds like a fabulous line to force a sale before month end, when many salesmen's bonuses are calculated. For real impact, try looking interested a day or two before month end and watch the slavering drool as they envisage an even bigger bonus!

Cheers

Graham
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Direct from the Subaru info bible (cars101.com) ...

2012 Impreza, WRX and STI sold order cut-off date is Monday April 23. So get your order in quickly.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    a short shift kit will not void a warranty...nothing "voids" a warranty, but a dealer may not honor the warranty if modifications to the vehicle resulted in damage to it or were the cause of the failure. That must be proved in order not to honor a warranty.......

many of added the short shifter without problems.....if all else fails...ask your dealership that you would get warranty service from....
  • subunutsubunut Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I've had my impreza for two weeks and put less than 150 miles on it, just driving it back and forth to the dealer to get some minor things repaired, like the pin stripe which I noted is peeling off on many of the other cars in the lot. Good thing its easy to fix. But, my problem as a completely new car buyer, is that I bought the wrong Impreza. While it's a lower priced car with what-you-pay-for suspension, getting the manual has made it a very uncomfortable ride. I figured I would be saving money in transmission repair costs later, and it was the last car available on the lot, and we needed a car. But it adds jerking on top of the bouncy ride. My carpool ride is a 2010 ford focus and it's much smoother, at least I don't get uncomfortable. So, i'd like to know as a newbie, any good news and bad news if anyone can help. I talked to the dealer/dealership owner about exchanging it for the CVT and it's going to cost me 4K since my two week old car is now a used car. I knew it was going to cost, i didn't know it was going to cost that much. I'm angry that they had me come into the dealership to give me that news by saying "well, come in this the afternoon, we'll try to take care of you, we want you happy." Who would take that kind of hit on a 19K car+tax!?!?! Just tell me over the phone!!! Weird. I'm calling Subaru of America on monday to see if they can help at all, I doubt it. I guess the worst bite is making a mistake, but on such a large purchase, and there being no way out. I didn't expect such poor quality though, and now i'll have to drive this car for years, we waited 13 years to buy our first new car, tried hard to not make a mistake by reading reviews, but I think we made a big one by not test driving it longer, and buying in desperation.
  • subunutsubunut Member Posts: 2
    Hi. So, I bought the costco price 2012 impreza basic model, manual, five door, for the same price in washington state with 10% tax. Is this what the costco auto program rep meant when they said that the costco cost break happens really on more expensive cars? Crap....
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2012
    Did a trip last week for work. About 200 miles from Minneapolis to a small town where my customer's office is located. Majority of the trip at about 55-65 mph. I averaged 38 mpg. I swear the gasoline must be reformulated to summer now because I couldn't get any higher than 33 mpg in the winter on a nearly identical trip. Sunny day, no wind, temp of about 50 degrees
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    My complaints on the 2012 Sport Prem CVT: NOISY engine/drive train through 5th gear and especially noisy when air temp and engine are cold(winter). Poor/slow acceleration up to 40 mph. Brakes seem a bit mushy(compared to my Honda's brakes), radio is tinny, actually embarrassingly so(but may have improved a bit due to speaker break in). Metal/doors are very thin. I have several door dings after just 2 months of ownership---and I park as far out in the lot as I can--I think the car is a door ding magnet. Car gets blown around a bit in crosswinds.

I like: high mpg for an AWD. I've gotten 38 mpg on high end and no worse than 30 mpg in winter city driving. Very good suspension over bumps--actually an impressive suspension. Low center of gravity/quick handling. Inexpensive purchase price. Nice interior for the price. Love the heated seats. So far, a reliable car. Decent looking car. Went thru 12 inches of new heavy snow without a problem. A great value for an AWD.

The noise issue however really bothers me at times. I'm not sure I would buy this car again because of that issue. Seems like Subaru cheaped out in the insulation area which is surprising since the rest of the car is top notch.
    First, sorry you're having buyer's remorse.

Second, have you checked the tire pressure? The cars are shipped with the tires over inflated and dealers often "forget" to adjust to the correct pressure. As far as the ride, there has been mostly praise with respect to the ride on the 2012 Impreza. I personally test drove a Base 5-dr w/ CVT and I had no complaints with the ride (rode better than my 2002 Outback).

Third, have you driven a manual transmission recently? Even if you have, Subaru MTs are not the smoothest and do take some time to get used to, but once you "master" it, all should be OK.

Fourth, unfortunately since your car was titled/registered, the dealer would have to sell it as a used car. It sucks, but the fact remains that it's a used car. But I agree, $4K difference does seem out of line.

Good Luck!
  • ammo_umbammo_umb Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a 5 door Limited on Jan 15th and still don't have a VIN. The worse part about this order is that SOA keeps changing estimated delivery dates to make customers happy which only serves to tick the customers off more after the dates pass.

It appears the delays have something to do with Nav but Subaru won't tell dealers what the problem is or when the get well date is. Because the dealers don't really know the answers and are the only direct contact people have with their orders people tend to lash out at them. Unfortunately late deliveries are Subarus fault but since they're harder to contact they get off scott free.

Sorry for my rant but after 99 days I'm very close to cancelling my order. The only reason I haven't cancelled yet is because I don't want my dealer to look bad because of it. Blaim needs to go to Subaru and Subaru needs to start answering fo their delays!
    Just another suggestion to checkthe tire pressure. I can't imagine the ride would be TNT different between the CVT and 5spd. Of course, it may take time to refine your shifting skills.

Don't rush on the trade in. Try to explore the tires, you shifting and make sure this isn't something else causing your displeasure.
    my quess would be parts availability of the NAV, not necessarily an issue with the Nav itself......sorry for the frustration.....hang in there and keep asking questions of SOA....thet dealer will not look bad....they will still get the car eventually as it was part of their over order allocation...with the exception it was earkmarked for you.....if you cancel......they will more than likely simply add it to their inventory when it arrives.....
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    Metal/doors are very thin.

Fred - This one bugs me. During the test drive, I also noticed how 'light' the door felt when opening and closing it. The doors felt like ones from a cheap low tier car. Salesman side they used super strong steel or something to deliberate cut the weight -I thought "yeah right, whatever". What you said about door dings is a good warning - Thinner sheet metal will dint that much more easily. Unfortunately this must be one of the sacrifices to acheive lowering manufacturing cost and vehicle weight (to achieve higher MPG).
  • bradzebradze Member Posts: 1
    was told last day to order 2012 imprezas is tomorrow. the wife wants a dark grey 2.0 limited 5-dr. also told delivery normally takes 6 to 8 weeks. pretty excited, funny how little the wife cares when the car is for her.
    Yes. The doors are thin to save weight. My body shop guy who himself owns a WRX recommended that I get the side molding strips to save at least a few door dings.

The new steel is higher in tensile strength which helps in an accident but won't necessarily be helpful for door dings.
    edited April 2012
    I have the Sport Prem CVT in the Minneapolis area also. The engine does idle high and noisy when cold, but once warm its much better. Other than that noise doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Compared to my 2001 Outback acceleration is great. Zero to X isn't stellar, but 50 to 70 seems quite good and passing hasn't been an issue. Brakes, I'll somewhat agree that they have gotten a little softer with break in. Lately it has been windy with 25 to 35 mph winds. I haven't notice much issue compared to other cars I've owned and its much better than our Chevy Tahoe. Heated seats are very nice and quick and the temperature on them is great.
    I think our difference in opinon on these are could be just what we are used to.

The thin sheet metal or at least the sound of thinner metal is there. I wonder if the sheet metal is that much thinner or if less sound proofing might be to blame. A thin coat of foam on the back side would have helped, but adds cost and some weight. Agree a little work there would have made the car even better.

My only slight disappointment so far is the MPGs. It hasn't been bad but not 36mpg or better. I can still beat EPA numbers with my 2001 Outback. So far I've calculated 32 to 33mpg on 3 tanks. I think the cool morning temps (30's F) has the biggest impact.
    edited April 2012
    very uncomfortable ride

Doesn't sound right - Consumer Reports actually gave the Impreza the title of best small car ride. Tires are shipped with very high pressures to prevent flat-spotting, so check that first.

Ask the dealer if he has a demonstrator CVT that you could swap for. You'd still pay about a grand out of pocket because the CVT costs more.

It's a tough situation, but you have to ask yourself, when you went to buy your first new car, would you have paid the same for a returned car someone else didn't like? I sure wouldn't...
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    The dealer sent me home with 42 psi in the tires. Since they are rated at 51 max psi, and the car didn't feel bouncy or squirrely on the road, I didn't do anything to correct it.

Saturday hit 92 and 10 miles from home, the TPMS starts flashing. I get out, kick the tires, definitely no flats or low pressure. Going down the road, the light turns steady. Coming home (night time) the light goes off and stays off. After letting air out the following morning, putting them at 34 front and 33 rear all around, we haven't had a light come on since.

I'm not sure what the high psi level trigger is, but it does exist.

John
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Shifting is a part-time pleasure....and requires one to be CONSTANTLY aware of proper clutch manipulation,..

CVT's are smooth "shifting" and FE consious constantly.
    I think they sense a difference - at least the ones that use the ABS sensors look for that. Newer ones check each tire individually, though.
    i totally miss driving my 5 speed. driving stick was a pleasure and second nature. the only time i hated it was in bumper to bumper traffic. but i got the CVT so my wife could drive my car in those rare scenarios that do crop up. (i've heard from many people that it is not good for your marriage to teach your spouse how to drive stick ;) )

aside: hold habits die hard. i still constantly forget to put my car in park after driving/shutting it off (from the habit of leaving my car in gear with my 5spd)
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    Does your new moonroof work like mine?... When I hold the button for a couple seconds to get the moonroof to slide all the way open on it's own, it stops about 2 inches short, and I have to hit the button for another second to get it completely open.

When going through the car with the salesman on delivery, it did it for him while showing me, and he said that's just how it is.

Anyone else? Thanks!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    That's interesting, they were all at 42psi. Uneven heating?

There was also a note in the manual that if one of tires was not low when the light indicates, that this could be a malfunction in the system. No mention of excess pressure triggering the warning.

I also found out that the cruise control will not work with the TPMS light on, which does make sense.

John
    After going 3 weeks without seeing a new Impreza I saw 4 today in the St.Paul MN area. Blue, Silver, and White, Sport models and one Silver Impreza hatch.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I also found out that the cruise control will not work with the TPMS light on, which does make sense.

That's interesting. I don't have any problem with the cruise on my '10 Forester, and the TPMS light is illuminated half the year due to my winter rims not having the sensors installed in them. This must be a further ploy to force the proliferation of nanny devices. :mad:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • scohn1scohn1 Member Posts: 1
    I hadn't noticed that, but I only got mine on Saturday (and love it!!). I'll check that out as soon as I get home and report back.
  • winglikwinglik Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I live in and drive around Metro NY/NJ daily. but hardly see any 2012 Impreza, especially the hatchback. Dealership said these selling like hot cake and doesn't willing to make much cut on the price.

Since the 2012 order discontinued, when will be the 2013 Impreza be out, any detail on 2013 changes.
  • rayccraycc Member Posts: 28
    I also has the TPMS light come on and stay on a few time. I lower the psi and it seem to fix the problem.

I still do have it come on a couple time after I lower the psi and went away a few second later. Both time was at wal-mart. I back out the car from the parking slot hit the break that is when the light come on. I switch to D and start to drive and it went away.
    my TPMS light came on yesterday going to work..assumed the pressure was low...and my cruise worked fine......filled the tires when I got home....as they were hot...I checked them this morning..corrected pressures....I run them a little more than OEM recommendations....32/30...I run 34/32.......drove the car about a mile before the TPMS light went out.....no other problems noted....
  • curlfriendcurlfriend Member Posts: 5
    hi, all. we've been driving our new impreza for about 3 weeks now. (dark gray 5 door CVT premium trim -- luvit. scored pretty much the only one on the ground in northern california because someone chose not to take delivery of it. called about 100 dealerships!).

anyhoo. pleased with everything, but curious about something. i've noticed that it is hard for me to maintain a steady lane position in this car, notably at higher, freeway speeds. i find myself drifting suddenly to one or the other side. i find that i have to pay more attention to my hands gripping the wheel than i did in my old car, a 99 mazda protege manual tranny. any thoughts on this? coupled with that, one strange not-quite-incident: coming around a freeway interchange bend at about 55 mph, i hit a series of bumps and actually felt like the wheels spun out and back very quickly. i did not lose control or anything.

is this an AWD thing? an automatic transmission thing? an impreza thing? imagined?

very unused to an auto transmission...totally tolerable, but do miss the connection to the road, i must say. (don't miss anything, though, in bad bay area traffic!)

thanks,
    kim
    There's more drag due to the AWD, perhaps that's what you're sensing. If anything AWD has more directional stability, so it must be related to the transmission.

Make sure all the tires have the same pressure, and if it persists check for uneven wear or even consider asking the dealer to check the alignment.
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    I've noticed this too. It's not like the car is unstable - if I'm at speed and I remove my hand from the wheel the car continues to go straight.

Perhaps it's because the electrically-boosted steering is still too sensitive to input at high speed. So by virtue of holding on to the wheel and how fast the car is going, a tiny movement translates into the car moving a noticeable amount.

I wonder if they could fix this in software.
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    Ok, here's my issue, hopefully it's just me...

My rear defogger is very week. When we had 1/16th inch of frozen ice on the car a month ago, the rear defogger barely unfroze the ice, even after being on for 5 minutes. I just scraped the iced off and went to work.

Last night's commute home, under very humid conditions, the AC cleared up the fog on the front window quickly, but the rear defogger did a poor job.

After 5 minutes of it being on, only +/- 1/8th inch of fog was cleared on both sides of the rear defogger lines. After 15 minutes of being on, only half the window had cleared.

Do others experience similar rear defogger results?
    For the slight drift, I'd say it might be a air pressure or alignment issue if there is a constant pull to one side. If its going where you point it and its just very sensitive to any wheel movement it could be its just a new car with tighter suspension and steering than your used to. My Subies have never had alignment issues and the steering is a bit more sensitive to inputs with no to very little dead spots in the middle.

For the "almost incident", I take it it felt like the car was about to spin out, but didn't. The sharp bumps may have gotten the wheels loose (bouncing. The low profile tires may have played a role? I'm new to these 205/50 R17 tire sizes so I'm not sure. All my previous cars have much taller side walls. I'm fairly sure the CVT didn't play a role and the AWD may have saved the car from spinning.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I never noticed that mine was not opening all the way, but mine behaves like this as well.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Rear defoggers are only "niceties" and in todays world everything get looked at for FE effects. Weakness therefore shouldn't be any surprise.
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    Have you checked the tire pressure?
    After being warned, I checked my tire pressure and sure enough it still had the 40psi shipping pressure, which the dealer overlooked during "prep".
    That would definitely make a car wander a bit more.

My Impreza was feeling like it my cars do before I take them in for alignment, a bit floaty, but dropping the tire pressure to something reasonable really helped the tracking.

But if the tire pressure is ALL correct all around, alignment being off could definitely be a factor in wandering steering. At least worth checking.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Subarus are unusual: sports cars with a frumpy body.

The down side of their remarkable handling and road control is their sensitivity to even minor variations in inputs. I found that a variation of even 1psi in tyre pressure or a very minor misalignment (even some mud inside a wheel) would affect handling dramatically.

They are not your average "family-mobile"!

Reducing tyre pressures will reduce the sensitivity, but make it softer for handling.

Cheers

Graham
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for checking yours!

I think it's silly that the moonroof is like this. But, I emailed Subaru and they said they tested one they had there, and sure enough it does the same thing... so that makes it "normal".
    edited April 2012
    Page 2-25 of the Owner's Manual - Hint: it's that thick book in the glove box. ;)

NOTE
    Driving with the moonroof fully open can cause an annoying sound to be generated at high speeds. If this occurs, use the moonroof at the initial stop position of 16 in (40 cm) away from the fully closed position.
    Ordered Sport Limited with Moonroof on March 5.

My VIN finally arrived overnight. ETA = May 10 (duration = 9.5 weeks)