Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2012
    hi pdxgarcon,
    I think the Focus is a nice car, and that torque vectoring is a neat concept.
    The Impreza is good all around as well, and the visibility felt much better than on the Focus. My 8 year old son gave the Impreza a big thumbs up after sitting in the rear seat during back-to-back test drives on the two cars.

Having had it now for several days, I must say I really appreciate the great visibility on my long, mixed commute (for good measure, have taken out the headrests in the back and stored in a cargo net).
    The side view mirrors are very well thought out. I also like the moonroof w/ deflector, and the alloy wheels on my premium hatchback.Am getting comfortable with the satellite radio and navigation interface as well.

The good engine response at low to medium speeds make the Impreza fun to drive just when the commute gets more dreary. The CVT works smoothly, no issues on a moderate downhill (on the Sunol grade on 680N in the SF East Bay).
    So am happy with the decision in favor of the Impreza">
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Picked up my Camellia Red Sport Limited w/ Moonroof last night.

Duration from order to pick up = 9 weeks.

Paid $728 under invoice. Local dealers are now selling (the few they have) at MSRP.
  • ammo_umbammo_umb Member Posts: 4
    I finally got a VIN and a 4th delivery date for my 5-door Camellia Red Limited (w/Nav & MR) last Friday which was 111 days from the date I ordered.

Nobody has been able to figure out why it took so long for the car to get built and I'm hoping it gets here when it's supposed to so this can all end!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    glad everyone endure the wait....was lucky...4 weeks from the time or order in early Nov till delivery the second week of Dec.....just rolled over 12,500 miles today on my commute.....no complaints at all with my HB Limited CVT in Deep Cherry.......
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Hey all,
    I'm thinking of getting body side moldings for my SP Hatch and was wondering if its worth it. No dings on the car yet, thank goodness. Also, is it easy to install or better to have the dealer or a professional do it. Looks pretty simple when I checked out youtube.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    easy enough if you take your time. because i got the offer from my local bodyshop (who would have fixed the car i totalled) to help me do it, i took them up on it. but i helped out.

if you take the time to cut the holes out of the patterns provided, you should be able to get it perfect. we didn't, but still got it pretty spot on with two sets of hands.

if it weren't for the offered help, i certainly would rather take my time to do it right myself than pay the dealer $120+ they wanted.

key is: budget enough time, cut the holes suggested to hold the panel/guide securely in place, and have a second set of hands.
  • crlstocrlsto Member Posts: 17
    I was able to install them with ONE set of hands! (lol j/k, but I wish I had some help at the time :P)

Seriously though, they're pretty easy as long as the prep work is done right. It's more tedious to get the template attached to the car than it is to attach the moldings themselves. I actually sat the edge of the templates along the door sill to keep them level from front to back. Attach both the front and back templates at the same; it allows you to check if they're level with each other.

I figured that the templates sitting on the sills makes the moldings sit a tad lower than trying to line them up along the bottom edge of the doors, but it looked like the sills were on the outermost edge of the door (serves their purpose better).
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    I saw this youtube vid and thought it looked pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDksviUVhM
    haha

i definitely think it can be done solo if you follow directions. we (the tech at the shop was in a hurry) didn't bother to cut the holes which would allow an easier mounting of the templates. we just taped the top and bottom and i held the templates in place while he lined up the trims.

but yes, it's a fairly easier job and saved me $$$...much easier than the crazy homelink mirror i installed...
    Left the dealer with my new Sport Limited ... reached over to the right side of the seat back to adjust the lumbar support. Slid my hand up and down; it's not there. Hmm, did they move it to the left side ... nothing there either. Maybe it has a power lumbar? Searched the left seat bottom with my hand ... nothing there either.

Hard to believe in this day and age that the Limited model doesn't have at least a manual lumbar support.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Paid $728 under invoice

And now the cops are after you for grant theft auto.

Nice deal!
    Neat.
  • crlstocrlsto Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, I got the homelink mirror after purchase as well. I was looking at the instructions and thought, naaaah. Electrical or mechanical are definitely not DIY for me (that would suck to void a warranty item within 2 weeks.) The dealer only charged 50 bucks to install it so it was worth it at that price...

The 10" sub (the stock Kicker one) rattles the hell out of it though, lol (same as the stock mirror).
    the electrical wasn't the hard part, but i guess you could say it was "mechanically" challenging.

for $50, that's a good deal. mine wanted over a $110+ more than the $162 i paid for the mirror, that's why i did the self install.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    me too. My wife started complaining about lower back pains after 6 hours driving the car over a 3 day period. We had to buy one of the strap on lumbar supports. Seems to have remedied the problem.

John
    edited May 2012
    And now the cops are after you for grant theft auto.

And ... I paid with $1800 in Subaru Bucks and put $2500 (max amount dealer allows) on my Subaru Chase CC to earn another $75 future bucks. :)
    Go turn yourself in to the cops stat! :P
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Hahah; that's awesome. Thumbs up!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • brc1328brc1328 Member Posts: 2
    Who did you buy the 7 yr/100k mile , $100 deductible from?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    My dealer price matched (nearly) an on-line offer I had received. My dealer is Bloomington Subaru in Bloomington MN. The site that I got the first quote from was a thread at legacygt.com.
    The owner's manual lists "Headlight indicator light (if equipped)".

My Sport Limited either doesn't have it or it doesn't work. Anyone have a working indicator?
  • bobdole888bobdole888 Member Posts: 38
    I've never seen the head light indicator light on my limited 5dr.
    Only thing close is the high beam indicator.
    Did you mean the fog light indicator?
    I do see a green light with squiggly line in font come on when the fog light is on.
    No, the manual mentions a separate headlight indicator.

Although if you leave the fog lights on, you can use that indicator as a quasi "headlights on" indicator.

It would be nice to have the indicator because the auto on feature is not very sensitive (in my car anyway) and it's hard to tell if they come on when it's raining. The manual states that the dealer can adjust the sensitivity but I'd rather not have to go that route.

BTW, the current model Outbacks are ultra sensitive; they come on when going under small bridges.
    In the Forester, there is an indicator light... it is green if I recall correctly, and displays as a series of lines to the left and right, in the same area of the dash as the high-beam indicator (blue, just above it) and the fog light indicator.

It may be that the Impreza doesn't have that functionality.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • impreza2012impreza2012 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my CLL Impreza in Marine Blue at the end of March. My dealer in MA called me and told me that the VIN was assigned and will arrive soon. Looking forward to driving a little after Memorial Day! The only option is the remote starter. Can you tell me which options you went for? Has anyone upgraded the speakers?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Well, it looks like the Impreza might have been knocked out of the running for a new vehicle to replace "The Beast" (my '06 Pilot) along with any other vehicle we were looking at. Turns out we may just keep him a while longer. We may be getting a 15' Gillgetter instead. I'll keep everyone updated if the Impreza gets tossed back into the mix.

Odie
    The only option is the remote starter. Can you tell me which options you went for?

The only option I got on my Camellia Red Sport Limited w/ MR was the cargo tray. May pick up a rear cargo net at some point.
    quick report on my first highway trip today. i gave the full long report on the other forum, but here's the short report.

calculated mileage: 39.3 mpg
    car computer mileage: 39.0 mpg

However, i tracked my route on googlemaps, and it came out 4% longer than reported by my odometer. this was the first long route i've checked with gps or googlemaps, but it's consistent with my shorter trips previously compared against the odometer. if i correct for that 4%, the mileage on my 160 mile trip today was 41.1 mpg!
    That's impressive either way, dfong!

I'm curious to know what sort of mileage folks are getting out of the manual transmission....
    xwesx: i think i've seen people get as high as 36mpg with a manual and it seems that the folks with MT are getting potentially better city numbers.
    That's pretty respectable. I'm still waffling on which way I want to go with it. I have another year until I get serious about it, unless my car really starts to pitch fits before then. I'm already going to rebuild the top end of the engine in another month or so, so I shouldn't have any problem getting another year out of it (or more if I want more).

Right now, I'm only seriously considering Fiesta and Impreza, but I'm having a hard time getting over the not-so-pleasing look of the Impreza. I still have to drive the Impreza (manual and auto), plus I really should take a look at the Mazda3 now that the SkyActiv models are available. Still, I'm quite familiar with Subaru, it is the only AWD of the bunch, and I have $2,500 in Subaru Bucks available.

Those do make for compelling arguments!
  • smasheksmashek Member Posts: 2
    I have not been able to drive a manual Impreza and my wife asked a good question. She is afraid of leaving the car out of gear and also not setting the parking brake. Does the car (or any car ) have a warning or safety to prevent this from happening? This could be a manual trans deal killer for her... None of my manuals ever had anything but I just have old trucks.

-Steve
    I sure doubt it. Then again, there are some nanny devices cropping up for manual trannies, so it might not be so far-fetched.

I don't want to insult your wife, so I'll end there, Steve. I would hope that if she wants an MT car, something like this wouldn't sway her opinion.
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know if 2013 Impreza's get any tweaks, especially to change things that lots of people have complained about in the 2012 version?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    but remember, your GPS is not taking into consideration when your stopped and sitting idle, how you get going or how you stop. It's just doing a straight line mileage. I do Geocaching and can tell you alot about the finer details of GPS's. You mileage for MPG takes alot of more into considerations. I had to turn the MPG estimator on both my GPS's (handheld and car, both Garmins) off because there is alot of idling and foot movement involved using them.

Odie
    edited May 2012
    What are "the things that lots of people have complained about in the 2012 version"?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    yea, my question too.

It would be nice to have lumbar, but for the price of the Impreza, this is a smashing success. It's still hard for me to believe that it cost less than my 10 year old Forester and 10 year old $$ when new and is improved in all areas.

John
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, lumbar would be nice, although after ~400 miles my back seems to be conforming to the seat.

Based on the Crosstek specs, the 2013 Limiteds will probably get a back-up camera.

I've paid the same price (~$22,500) for my last 3 cars.

'96 Outback 4EAT - Base model w/ AWP, CD changer, trailer hitch
    '03 Outback 4EAT - Base model (included AWP and single CD)
    '12 Impreza Sport Limited w/ Moonroof (CVT, AWP, leather, etc)
    that's why i decided that perhaps a better ground truth is googlemaps and that's what i used for my mileage calc here.

76.6 vs 80.1 miles is a pretty big difference!

at least compared to my old car (honda civic) google maps matched my odometer on that car to within a small fraction of a percent.
    - rattles :\ (not sure they will improve this because i'm not sure there are any glaring ones that crop up regularly based on the different forums i'm part of)
    - the airbag problem some people have had
    - misprogrammed ECU/TCM
    - maybe offer rear camera option
    - something more elegant than the black curtain near the telescoping steering

• rayccraycc Member Posts: 28
    has anyone install a ScanGauge on their new Impreza. I'm thinking about getting one manily for water water temperature.

Thanks,

Ray
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Not seen the Scan Gauge, but have been using a Garmin Ecoroute HD for some months. This plugs into the OBD II port and uses Bluetooth to communicate to my Garmin GPS device. I have found prime use is modifying my driving behaviour as it throws up a series of detailed gauges. Fuel economy is improved a bit.

I had been worried whether water pump was near failing but water temperature is reporting consistently at 83 C so happy.

Cheers

Graham
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I dont' have an Impreza, but I have a scangauge... it's quite useful, and one will serve all your cars. I normally keep it in my Vibe, and sticky-backed velcro will secure it about anywhere you might want it.
    I just used it to diagnose my wife's Sienna, and it has a proper place there, too.

Good to have, and it'll certainly show you the "(deg)FWT" water temperature, together with three other parameters, if you set it up that way.

BTW, when you turn the car on, you have to push the "gauge" button to see the four gauge parameters, otherwise it sits at the init screen.

Cheers -Mathias
    Why get scangage when you can have something else with much more features.

I use a OBD scanner with bluetooth interface (~$19)
    If you already have an android, iphone, tablet,or ipad, there are apps (lot of them free) that will talk to the OBD scanner and display temperature, and lots of other data.

I'm using an android app called torque. It can show oil, water temp.
    Torque, hp, output. Do 0-60 time, and many more.
    Looks like they are other option other than ScanGauge. But they are all the same thing, a OBD reader. And looks like bluetooth OBD reader give you more information than ScanGauge. But I need a display dervice like a smart phone or a GPS
    I honestly don't think the obd readers are useful on a regular basis.

I basically had fun playing with it for a couple of weeks, then haven't use it much since then.

I doubt I would want it mounted on the dash for the long term.

I you have use for a ipod touch, tablet, smartphone, you might as well buy one of those gadgets that can interface with OBD bluetooth.
  • photobug2photobug2 Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my new Impreza 5-door PZEV Limited non-navigation moonroof this Saturday, and already love it. I initially wanted the Marine Blue but it didn't work out, so after searching all over the tri-state area, my dealer called to say he had found a Camellia Red. I didn't think I'd like it but went to take a look, and loved it right away. I opted for the upgraded speakers, and am very happy with the audio sound and the ability to use Bluetooth with my iPhone 4s and Spotify, which lately I prefer over iTunes.

It's really fun to drive, but I noticed something disturbing, when I pulled into a friend's driveway, whic has a slight dip in front of the curb cut. I heard a noise, and found that the underside of the front bumper had scraped the edge of the curb. It doesn't show from the front, but bending down to look under the car I can see a definite scrape in the paint. Is there anything that can be used to protect that area of the bumper? This never happened with other cars, but the clearance seems very low, and curb cuts in New York City are not always the smoothest. I'm also thinking of ordering the rear bumper cover that flaps over the back, for safety when parking on the street.

Anyone else have ideas on protecting the finish in a city environment? I didn't get the bumper appliqué and don't know if that would offer enough protection.

This forum has been really helpful in the whole buying process, thanks!