Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Each Subie service dept tell me different. I purchased my car in Oakland. The service says next oil change is at 7500 miles. There is no 3500 mile change even though it seems everyone is getting a free one at 3500. I had the oil light come on at 1200 and 5800 miles with the oil level a bit low but with normal ranges. I was pissed. Emailed SOA and spoke to Oakland Subaru. I went to Livermore Subie and they took care of things, also had help from SOA. Got a free 3500 mile oil change, checked the low oil problem and found the sensor was corroded and they ordered a new one and install a week later. I go to Livermore now, but because I had a late oil change, do I go to the 7500 recommended change or go with they have on teh sticker? I bought teh maintenance plan up front. :blush:
  • 10brob10brob Member Posts: 1
    I get an average of 35.4 MPG city/highway but you have to drive with a little control and not have a lead foot
  • hornmakerhornmaker Member Posts: 4
    I've searched Google, and Cars101, but have not been able to find how many amps the stock alternator puts out. Does anyone here know? Thanks!
  • hornmakerhornmaker Member Posts: 4
    I found the answer. The stock alternator on the +2012 Impreza is only 90 Amps. That doesn't leave much for aftermarket stereo equipment. I also found out that instead of the alternator output being wired directly to the battery like most cars, it is ran through the fuse panel and then to the battery. The alternator output is fused at 120 Amps. They do this so the load on the electrical system can be monitored and the voltage regulation can help improve MPG. It's a nice design of pulling out all the stops in the name of MPG, but it makes for a hassle for those of us that like our aftermarket stereo systems.
  • jimeddiejimeddie Member Posts: 3
    Well, I did it. We were shopping for a commuter car for my wife to drive to work. She was close to getting the Hyundai Elantra, and I suggested she drive the new Impreza. She said she liked the way it handled a lot better. This was a base model with just a few options, so the bad part was that it lacked cruise control (a deal breaker) and iPod input, so I am told.
    Well, they had one Silver 2012 left, and they really wanted to move it. Where I live there are three dealers so they all compete, but on 2013's they were all offering the same modest discount, plus inventories are low on the base sedans with CVT. I ended up with about $1200 off, plus they are installing cruise control and iPod connectivity for no charge. Since we keep our cars a long time, buying last year's model is not a huge factor. (My Forester is 12 years old).

Does anyone know what the ipod connecter is? I am guessing just a cable of some sort. I do not see it as an accessory.

Lastly -- and this is silly I know -- I Love Subaru's but don't like red dashboard lights, at least on the speedometer/tach panel. Guess that's why i never owned a BMW or Audi. Is there any practical way to have blue lights put in? If it is even the bulbs that give it the color.. Told you it was a dumb question.
  • aknight3aknight3 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I don't think you'll be disappointed, I've had my Impreza hatchback for about 4 months, I am getting around 42ave mpg on highway. I keep thinking I need to check myself, it seems too good to be true. for the ipod, I just use my USB connector, does your car have usb connection? otherwise I'm not sure what cord you'll need. I don't mind the lights so I;m not sure if you can turn them off, but maybe someone else can tell you. good luck!
  • imprezasportimprezasport Member Posts: 9
    I use my iPod USB charger but they do have nice ones at Radio Shack that rewind themselves, cost about $19.00 and are available in different colors. That way I just keep it in the car and don't have to worry about bringing the charger back in so I can sync the iPod.
    I think my issues is, I do not see anywhere to plug in the iPod? There is an 'aux' button on the stereo though? Maybe I should read the manual first! :) On the red-dash lights, I had a friend tell me "you get used to it".
    So that is what I told my wife. I know SUbaru does a huge amount of consumer research, so there must be a lot of people who prefer red over more eye-pleasing colors.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I think my issues is, I do not see anywhere to plug in the iPod?

The standard USB and Aux connectors are in the bottom of the armrest compartment. Not sure if dealer installed option is the same location.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    The advantage of red is that it does not adversely impact night vision. Or, so I'm told! I don't think blue noticeably impacts it either, but the older "soft white" (aka "yellow") style bulbs certainly did.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Okay then I do not have an iPod input. Thanks for that info. I also figured there was an ergonomic reason for the red lights!
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    I usually keep that setting blank on the upper dash, but the other day ,out of the corner of my eye, it blinked 100 a couple times. The only thing close to that was the et setting. Does that just blink on it's own ? I don't remember reading that in the manual.
    edited September 2012
    Does that just blink on it's own ? I don't remember reading that in the manual.

Yes, and it's in the manual. See 3-24 thru 3-28
    http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/66011/pdf/ownerManual/066011_2012_Impreza/A1120- BE-Ball_12.pdf

* If the outside temperature drops to 37F (38C) or lower while the display is giving an indication other than the outside temperature, the display switches to the outside temperature indication and flashes for 5 seconds before returning to its original indication.

* When the low fuel warning light illuminates, the driving range display flashes for 5 seconds. (The display first switches to the driving range value if a different value was previously displayed.)

* The journey time indication flashes each time a complete hour has elapsed. If the display is giving a reading other than the journey time, the display switches to the journey time, flashes for 5 seconds, and returns to its original reading each time a complete hour has elapsed.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    so, maybe there is now way around this and maybe it's an apple iOS issue, but here it goes...

is there any way to pair your iphone with the Subaru media for ONLY phone use?

the reason i ask, is i don't stream music for bluetooth since i have a dedicated old ipod in the car plugged in via USB and am often just listening to radio.

whenever i use a navigation app (Mapquest or the new iOS6 Maps apps), it defaults to use the Subaru multimedia as it's audio output. that's not a bad thing in principle, except it doesn't work if you are listening to any audio source that is no the iphone: if i'm listening to any source other than the iphone (radio/CD/ipod on USG), i don't get any sound from those apps pumped through the car's audio system.

the only workaround is to manually swap the audio output to the iphone every time i use the car. this is workable, but a pain because i need to consciously make sure the car is running before doing this task, else when i start up the car, it defaults to trying to use the Subaru's speakers.

i'd love a better workaround. i'm content letting the navigation audio come out of the iphone's built in speaker because it's plenty loud enough, so ideally, i would have the bluetooth streaming only work for the phone and nothing else.
    Thanks, I missed that. It was the first time I was in the car for more than an hour. I'm still going trough the 336 page navigation manual, the print is so small it gives me a headache .
  • dodman1dodman1 Member Posts: 7
    Is anyone having an issue with their gas gauge in a 2012 Impreza. I filled up this morning and it is only registering one notch above half. The range says 300 miles which is in line with just over half a tank. I will take it back to the dealer if it doesn't self-correct but was just curious as this is my second electrical type problem. The first was the driver side window stopped working. The tech said the wiring harness was not properly installed at the factory. Still love the Impreza but am getting concerned about electrical issues.
  • hkamathkamat Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Can you give me the the money factor and residual value for the 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Premium Hatchback for October ?
    I discovered a neat feature on my Impreza ... it argues with me when I'm an idiot. :P

I left the keys in the ignition and locked the doors via power door lock switch ... nope, you're an idiot so I'm going to unlock the doors 'til you remove the key from the ignition. :)

Do other Subaru's have the "you're an idiot" feature? If so, when did they start this?
    For those who installed a Fumoto valve, did you use a crush washer or the fiber washer?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Believe all cars with power locks have this feature, that functions this way when one of the front doors is open.
  • sgoldste01sgoldste01 Member Posts: 26
    I just used the fiber washer under my Fumoto valve.
    Same here - I used the fiber one. No leaking or issues thus far.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yes, the car does try to outsmart you! Sometimes, this is a good thing. Other times, though, such as when trying to warm up the car (without sitting in it), it is pain.

I figured out how to outsmart the car's system in order to lock the car while it is running without anyone in it, but what a pain that was. :sick:
  • teslafied1teslafied1 Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2012 Impreza 6/30/2012 and it now as of 10/16/2012 has 2297 miles on it and I brought it to the dealer today 1 quart low on oil. They told me to call 1-800-subaru3 after they helped me out and checked for a leak and topped the oil off. So a day later I called subaru3 and I talked with a girl who couldn't help me with knowing nothing about cars just answer phones and make people feel good and I had her pass me off to her boss which was another girl with NO knowledge about cars. Which helped to piss me off more and told me that the car was going to consume a quart of oil because thats what it says in the owners manual. I've NEVER owned a new car that ate a quart of oil ever 1,200 miles. My pointing out of talking to girls on the phone about my car has nothing to do with the possible knowledge of cars by all girls.
    I've seen oil consumption complaints at nasioc.com; I personally have not experienced "excess" oil consumption.

My '12 Sport Limited dipstick showed from slightly overfull (when new) to mid-range at 7500 miles (first oil change). I drained ~4.5 quarts; put 5 quarts in and the dipstick was at the full level. I would guess that I consumed between 1/2 and 3/4 quart in 7500 miles.
  • aknight3aknight3 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I have always put on winter tires on my AWD Subaru Forester, now I have the Impreza hatchback and wonder if I really need them? I live in the Adirondack mts. where it can be snowy, icy and I like having a little more security. Anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks.
    If the winter weather is sporadic, you can probably get by without them just fine. But, I would recommend chains onboard just in case of a deep snow or drifting event that catches you out on the roads. If the inclement weather is more frequent, I'm all for studless winter tires. They're night and day compared to even the best all-season.
    The ADK mountains get hit pretty hard with snow. You'll never regret getting studless snow tires.

I highly recommend General Altimax Arctics. These tires are studdable. Don't bother adding studs to them.
    Does anybody else think the yoko's are a little sensitive when going over a metal grate bridge? Grab the wheel with both hands cause they swerve real bad on mine.
    I don't know about metal grate bridges, but I've heard others make similar complaints with regard to grooved highways.

The term for what you're describing is "tramming" or "tramlining".
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That effect should diminish with wear, at least it did on the 2nd set of tires on my '98 Forester (the only time I felt significant tramlining).
  • easleseasles Member Posts: 13
    Hi there,
    I have a complaint about the bluetooth pairing algorithm.
    I have paired both my phone and my wife's phone (at different times).

I would like the system to recognize and connect (automagically) to each phone as we each drive the car. But alas, I cannot get the car to do this.

Not sure if this is an Impreza failure or a user error.

If I pair my phone and it is listed as the paired phone, then I can sit down in the car and it auto-connects seamlessly. Very cool.

But if I take my wife's (previously paired and stored) phone into the car, it won't auto-connect. I have to go into the menu, select her phone and then choose it as the active phone for it to recognize the other phone and pair.

This is a simple thing, I would think, as you are designing a phone system to accommodate more than one user.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

Thx
    I have the same issue and don't think it's user error. It's just the way the Subaru Bluetooth works. My personal experience with the Bluetooth setup is that it's very good in terms of voice quality, but I don't like the fact that there is no option other than voice dial. My other car allows me to scroll thru the stored numbers on the radio to find and dial the number I want to call. With the Subaru I have to use the phone to call a number that I have not setup for voice dial. It's really lame, but again the voice quality is very good.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    crud, a check engine light recall, and threats that if the car is not brought in pronto, we won't be able to re-register for next year:

"Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required."
  • ctuswatleaderctuswatleader Member Posts: 9
    @once for all:

What's your source for this check engine light recall? And when was this recall issued?
    I received an email at 5:09 PM EDT.

This is from a link in my.subaru.com ...

Recall Service Program
    Engine Control Module Reprogramming | WQC39
    Service Program WQC-39
    Engine Control Module Reprogramming
    Vehicles Registered in the States of
    CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for your selection of a Subaru vehicle. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

This software change has no effect on fuel economy or vehicle performance.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY

We ask that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. This will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car longer on the day of your appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Your Subaru dealer will perform this modification at no cost to you.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California’s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a “Proof of Correction Certificate.” If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the “DMV”) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at http://www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to:
    • http://www.wqc39.service-campaign.com

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:
    • Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
    Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
    Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
    • E-mail: Go to http://www.subaru.com and select “Contact Us”.
    • U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department,
    P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to ensure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    IMO the stock Yokohama tires are HORRIBLE TIRES. At 11k miles they are cupping badly. Thump, thump thump going down a smooth paved road. I had them rotated and rebalanced to specs. every 5k miles. At 20k miles(if they last that long) I am replacing them with something decent. I like Michelin's so I'll try those first. By the way, I've had bad luck with every set of tires on my last 5 brand new cars---and 3 different tire makers. When I've replaced with Michelin's I've never changed tires again all the way to trade in at around 95k miles with each car.
    If your tires are cupping, then I'm guessing they've spent most of their 11k mile life underinflated. I understand this--I find that my Yokos lose 1-2 psi/week. I try to check them at every fill-up now.
    Just discovered that yesterday when my tire pressure warning light went on. All 4 tires were down about 5 to 6 PSI. Car was serviced about 3 months ago so assume tires were at proper pressure at that time. I will starting checking them weekly to get a better idea.
    Remember that you have to add winter air. Tires "lose" pressure as the temperature decreases.
    I got the email and just got the follow up letter . Gonna call tomorrow. My letter does not have the word"recall" anywhere, Just "service program WQC-39" at the top.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    So far they have been good. When they do get bad, DWS is next in line, but I'll take a look at the Michelins too. They've always had a good rep. :blush:
    Looking good, Subaru!

The Impreza sedan scored even better, top of its class.

Forester did well, Outback did well.

Straight A report card, basically.
    Yes, I noticed that. I'm trying to figure out why the Impeza sedan scored higher than the hatchback in reliability. What about the sedan is more reliable than the hatchback?

Ah, I just looked it up on the CR web site. Apparently the hatchback has more Squeaks & Rattles than the sedan. Interesting.
    Just a SWAG, but....

Smaller passenger compartment could mean less wind noise.

Sedans are more aerodynamic, also, for better fuel economy.

Trunks seal better than hatches.

Then I read your 2nd sentence and yeah, that's it.
    Has anyone installed the side cargo nets on a '12 Impreza hatchback? You have to drill a hole and the instructions suck. There's a small indention a little below the cargo cover. Is that it? Do you drill 2 holes in the same spot? First 1/4 then 1/2? I only have a 3/8 drill motor so I have to get a 1/2 drill bit with a 3/8 reduced shank or borrow a 1/2 drill motor.
  • esuuuu09esuuuu09 Member Posts: 1
    Just installed it yesterday. There is a little dimple (hard to see) where you will need to drill. It's actually pretty simple. I started with 1/8 --> 1/4 --> 1/2. Just be careful since there isn't much space to the insulation, maybe a bit less than a centimeter.

After you get the 1/2 inch hole, just stick the black piece in, screw and it'll tighten itself.

gluck :)
    Thanks, I did get them in. I waited for a warm day because I didn't want to take a chance on cracking the panel in cold weather. Your right about the insulation, it could get wrapped around the drill bit .
  • donl442donl442 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I've got a 2013 Impreza Sport with the 2.0 engine and CVT transmission. When the engine is first started it immediately revs to 1800 rpm and will stay there for about 2 minutes then gradually slow down to about 1500 rpm for a minute or so and then settle in at around 1000 rpm.

Two questions:

1.) does your vehicle behave this way?

If so, do you let it warm up before you put it into Drive or Reverse? I'm a bit reluctant to drop it into gear at those engine speeds.

2.) have you discussed this with your dealer...is this "normal"?

Thanks!