Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Electrical Smell precedes Fuel Gauge Failure: Is it safe to drive?

reinsteinreinstein Member Posts: 11
Please help.

While driving my 2002 I35 there was a brief smell like electrical insulation burning. Shortly afterwards I noted that my fuel gauge was stuck on zero.

I spoke to my mechanic who told me it is unsafe to drive and a fire hazard because it might be the fuel sender wiring.

The Infiniti dealer says it will cost minimum of $250 to investigate and if it is a wiring issue it could cost as much as $3000 to repair.

Please advise.

I have no problem driving without a working fuel gauge ... but is it really a fire hazard? Can the repair really be that expensive?

Thank you for your help.

Larry

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You might have more luck in our answers section. Try starting here:
    http://answers.edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• atma97atma97 Member Posts: 47
    Definitely it needs to be fixed but not with the dealership since they tend to charge much more than a regular shop. Try to find a trusted mechanic with good experience in Japanese car or bring it to a NAPA repair center to get second opinion and estimation.
  • gr8rappergr8rapper Member Posts: 1
    Hi Reinstein,

Have you found the solution to your problem of burning smell in I35. I have a 2002 I35 and get the same burning smell, it will be really helpful if you could tell me how you dealt with it..

Thanks
    Vinod.