Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Maintenance and Repair

124»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well they don't "rent" them, they usually do it for free.
  • jcbuchejcbuche Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2012
    Talked to the repair shop.

They're saying I have a misfire on cylinder one because of an oil leak from the valve cover gasket that is saturating the spark plugs.

In all they want $650 to replace gaskets, new wires and ignition coil.

This seems high to me, plus even with my limited knowledge of cars, I think I could do this in a day.

Thoughts, warnings?

Also, the car is still driveable, although the acceleration and idle is horrible, since it appears to be running off three cylinders, but what are your thoughts on driving it? I have a 90 mile round trip commute to work.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh you could do that yourself. You'll need a valve cover gasket, a spark plug cable set (try www.rockauto.com) for about $75, and you should at least look at the spark plugs.

if you are indeed misfire off one cylinder, I wouldn't drive the car like that, no, as you may damage the catalytic converter.

Possibly, you could get a can of electrical cleaner and clean off the plug wires and spark plugs, and maybe snug down the valve cover bolts and see if that helps.

replacing the valve cover only requires that you remove a couple hoses and connectors and a few bolts. Shouldn't be too tough for you.
  • mikwmikw Member Posts: 1
    Yet another tale of this apparently common problem. I knew nothing of this problem until it happened to me. On January 30, 2012 when after leaving work, getting on Ike and running in heavy traffic, I accelerated to pass a car and soon noticed a plum of smoke behind me and my temp gadge was pinned in the red. I opened the hood and found water everywhere but had no idea where it came from until I bumped the radiator hose going to the thermostat wiggled. Cheap plastic parts. Only in a Chevy or should I say deawoo. South korean made. Can't really blame Chevy. But they should do the right thing and pay for the part if it breaks since chevy owns deawoo. $65 tow, $66 in parts( new metal housing from napa, hose and antifreez), on MasterCard. Having wished I purchased a ford, Priceless.
  • jantheavengerjantheavenger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo that is a 4dr hatchback it has less that 24k miles on it. I took it in because the front end rattled. One dealership changed the wheel bearings and said that I would have to get use to the popping noise that it now makes. They treated me like I was stupid and they lied to me about my car having new tires on it. When I said something to the salesman about him lying to me about it he said that he was mistaken. I have called the GM customer assistance office and obviously they played the part of concerned represinatives but nothing has been done yet. I took my to another dealership and they have changed the lower control arms, the shocks, strutts, and coils. They are having to get an engineer to come down because they don't know why the car is still making a popping noise in the fron end. My question is this should the front end already need this much work done to it ? My warranty goes out in less that 12k miles and I am affraid that I will Still owe a lot on the car and have a bunch of problems out of it.
  • denise1961denise1961 Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 Aveo crapped out on me while doing 70 on the highway!!! $1400 later life sucks. I bought the car to drive from Phoenix to Omaha, which I've done several times to see my grandgirls...and now I'd be too scared to make the trek in this piece of crap car. : (
    The issue with the thermostat IS a MAJOR problem with the Aveos and just because YOU don't see it often on this site doesn't mean otherwise. Two mechanics at major shops here in Phoenix have seen and/or heard quite a bit about them. They can't understand why a recall hasn't taken place either. People don't know about this site is the only reason they're not complaining HERE. I am completely DONE WITH CHEVY as of 2 months ago, after having put $1400.00 into my 7 year old car AFTER the engine was fried. And others would be wise to do the same as CHEVY doesn't stand behind what they sell.
    You've been warned.
    lol...I'm not laughing AT you, but now you're just one of the idiots who bought a Chevy Aveo. Welcome to the club.
    There are likely other things wrong, but they'll simply turn up one and a time, randomly. SUCKS!
    Hopefully not, but start saving $$ for the repairs because you're relatively new engine probably just aged 20 years. Mine did.
    My car's history is almost identical....I'm barely ahead of you. After the initial $300.00 repair when the thermostat blew on the highway, my car had the shakes and slow starts like it's gasping for fuel. Then one day (last Sunday) is flat out wouldn't start after several tries throughout the day!!
    It's been to the mechanic all week now and they're checking the headgasket as they found coolant inside my engine?! They tuned it up and found leaking O-rings....damage from the heat they said, just 2 weeks ago!! So, plan on having alot of engine problems now. Heat is not its friend. I hate Chevy now as I'm going broke. This shop is a SunDevil Auto, and there are several in the valley with good reputations. They're making money, sure, but they're also getting mad as they see me suffering.
    According to my mechanic (in a large metropolitan city) this is happening around 70,000 miles. It's not covered by a warranty in most cases. I am contacting GM and will expect them to repay me some of the $1400 I'm out in repairs, at the very least. We'll see if they back this product with their name on it. I had zero problems with my car prior to the housing bursting almost 2 months ago. Now, I have nothing BUT PROBLEMS.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    denise1961,

I see you are planning on contacting us about reimbursement. If you wanted to do so via email, please use either of them listed in the biography section of my Edmunds profile. Include whether or not the work was performed at one of our dealerships, your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealer.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kimbercorekimbercore Member Posts: 3
  • billhambillham Member Posts: 2
  • mundotakumundotaku Member Posts: 2
    I replace my timing belt and it cost me about $600 in my GM dealership. It is recommended to change the water pump when you change the timing belt because they are in the same area and it is a pain in the butt to access that are. So, if the shop charges you by the hour, it is a good idea to do it at the same time since you will be paying less in labor time. The OEM air filter costs $15 and you can replace it yourself with a screw driver. It is also recommended to change it every 15k miles according to the manual.

Replacing the air filter and the spark plugs and wires (which should be done every 30k miles) should increase your MPG about 10% to 20%. Also, you may want to add a Fuel System Cleaner to your gasoline tank.
  • melchayworthmelchayworth Member Posts: 2
  • mundotakumundotaku Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2004 Sunshine Yellow Aveo. GM simply sucks. his is the last car I would ever by from GM.
  • 2008aveoblack2008aveoblack Member Posts: 1
    I had the EXACT same issue - very disappointing. 20,000 miles, tires were worn on outside. Took to Chevy Dealer under warranty & they told me the tires were over inflated. Steel belts were shot in tires, thumping noise existed when slowly going over bumps or curbs. Put new tires on the car, and they lasted 20,000 miles, too before belts shifted & wore uneavenly. I drive the car with extreme caution by avoiding potholes, etc..., so this is a bad design. Now, I'm told the strut mounts are bad at 60,000 miles & nothing has changed since I took it in at 20,000 miles. Why didnt' they properly diagnose the problem when it was under warranty. Now, they want $650.00, which is ridiculoulsy high when I can get it done for 1/2 the cost at my local mechanic. The dealerships always wonder why they dont' get any business. This is a good example why.
  • mgobenmgoben Member Posts: 2
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning 2008aveoblack,

Thank you for taking the time to post. If there's anything you would like for us to look into, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com:your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • unhapgmclientunhapgmclient Member Posts: 1
    I have a very similar problem with my Aveo 2009, 21000 km. I took my car to the dealership and they said that the car "was exposed to aggressive chemicals". I called GM customer service and they basically repeated the words I heard from the dealer without even looking at the car. I had a few GM and not GM cars in the past and none of them had similar problem. Some of them were pretty old, 10+ years.

What am I supposed to do now? I am thinking of going to the Small Claim Court but not sure if this is going to help.
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    What do you want from this forum? Sympathy? Agreement? Or do you just want a place to vent and badmouth GM without providing any proof of your complaint?

Without seeing your car or at least seeing photos showing any defect in it, we have no way of rendering any opinion as to whether your complaint has any validity or not.

Going to small claims court is indeed a waste of time and effort if you cannot prove your claim.