Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• katy0311katy0311 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here and I think it is hilarious (in a very sarcastic sort of way) that I searched cost of a thermostat housing and found this site and the lead in line was "Chevy Aveo"......which is exactly what I was looking for the cost of. Mine is being replaced hopefully tomorrow by Firestone. The car was towed there on Saturday and......huge shock......it can only be purchased from a Chevy dealer. I shouldn't and am not surprised but I am disgusted that a car that was made to be "economical" has some of the most expensive parts in small car history.
    I"ve already had the engine replaced......on my dime.....becuase the timing belt broke at exactly 60k miles. GMAC wanted nothing to do with me or my car. I've had the serpentine belt replaced twice. The second time was less than six months from the first replacement.
    My husband has a saying that one should not buy the first generation of an item. He seems to be absolutey correct on this one
    I wouldn't purchase another vehicle from a GMAC-sponsored dealership if you offered me cash. Thier customer service is horrendous. And the company itself doesn't want to take responsibility for their cheap mistakes that are costing the rest of us needless repair costs.
    It's a real shame. I was so pleased and thankful to have purchased a "new" car as a hard working single mom who needed reliable transportation. It's turned into a growing nightmare. And I still have about 10 months left to pay......so frustrating!!!!
  • katsdragonkatsdragon Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday, I went to McDonalds to get lunch for my 84 year old mom and 29 year old mentally challenged son. Figuring I would only be gone about 20 min, would not be a problem. However, as I pulled into McDonalds, there was smoke and steam all over the place! Got out of the car and looked under the hood. Low and behold, a crack in something that was connected to the engine, and the thermostat. Not actually knowing it was the housing, as I am not a mechanic, I walked into McDonalds, and asked one of the people if there was a mechanic place nearby. The dealership was about 1/2 mile up the road, but at the rate antifreeze was pouring out of my engine, I was not willing to attempt this. I walked around the corner and there was a tire place that did all other mechanical work. They gave me a price of 209. Just purchased this 06 Aveo Hatchback less than 6 weeks ago. Had it repaired and they told me my front headlight is also out. Hmmmm... I will get that and do it myself. However, the only reason the headlight is out is from all the antifreeze spurting out all over the place under the hood. Yes, the replacement part is now aluminum. Knowing that they screwed up and the replacement part is upgraded, should be a clue that this should have been a recall from the start and especially for the 2004-2006 vehicles. Good luck all. I am going out this morning and checking the oil and make sure there is no water in that as well.
  • pr0wlunwoofpr0wlunwoof Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a ball park figure on repair from over heating. Like warped head etc.
  • pgwolfpgwolf Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2009 chevy aveo....three months after i bought it brand new the paint started chiping they fixed it then said eventually it will wear down again.. then 10 months later it is happening again.. they are refusing to paint it even though i am in warrenty... i hate my chevy aveo....hope they fix ur problem
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did the dealership say why they are refusing to do the paint job? Where is the paint chipping? Did they repaint the whole vehicle or just the section that was chipping? What is the VIN of the vehicle, and the current mileage? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • motorhead19motorhead19 Member Posts: 1
    My step daughter called me out of the blue and told me her 04 AVEO has overheated, I went to check it out and sure enough that cheap plastic thermostat housing had warped or something because when we put more antifreeze in and she tried to start it, it would spray it out at the seem between the plastic (where the housing bolts up)and the aluminum head or intake whichever it is. So anyway I called AutoZone and they quoted me around $41 and change for a new plastic housing thermostat and o-ring gasket In my opinion Im glad it warped were it did instead of the head gasket ( less money and time spent). Im doing the job myself it shouldnt be to bad I hope,and thanks to that other persons Info on the aluminum housing that can be purchased I will check into that cause that would be an upgrade since I have to order these parts anyway no one in this part of NC has it in stock!! From what Ive read today on these threads dont go to a dealership unless you absolutly have to they will always rape you on cost!!! try to find some other mechanicly inclined person or shop you trust to do the work if you cant yourself. Good luck everyone God Bless
  • yehawyehaw Member Posts: 2
    my 2009 chevy aveo has the same problem but its because of the rocks and every thing else the front tires throw back and the way the body is it seems to catch every thing. get some factory splash guards that should stop it.
  • cindy54cindy54 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    I have a yellow 05 aveo. To be exact it's 5 different shades of yellow! And the clear coat is peeling. I have been told by a reputible body shop the paint is defintely bad. It needs to be repainted. Of course I was told the warranty was only 3 years at the dealer body shop. I bought it not quite 5 years ago, and it has under 50,000 miles. Going tomorrow to see if the service writer will ask GM to consider it. Also I thought I had the longer warranty. I've never had a service problem with it so I don't know for sure.
    Hi my post it below this one. Just curious though. I was told today at the deal body shop the warranty is only 3 years. My car's paint is a mess. Car is literally 5 different shades, not minor fading, huge differences!
    I posted earlier about my yellow 05 Aveo and the paint problems I am having. I bought it new in July 05 and it has under 50,000 miles on it. It has turned 5 different shades of yellow. Two of the doors are one shade, two another. The bumper is completely different. The fenders are completely different. The roof is another shade also, and I could probably understand this part because even though it gets washed and waxed properly the sun will take a toll. so I met with the head of the service dept at the dealer I bought it at and he agreed to forward pic & a message to "the GM rep" on Friday. I hear back today that the warranty is 3 yrs, 36,000 miles, so.... out of luck. I have seen posts on this board that the warranty on the finish is 5 yrs/100,000 miles. which is it? where is that GM rep that posted earlier???
  • canyousaybumcanyousaybum Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo with 67,000 miles. While driving home from work today I smelled something burning and saw smoke coming from my hood. I then looked at my gauges to see the check engine light flashing and my temperature on high. I pulled over to the side and called my boyfriend. He popped the hood and discovered that the thermostat housing which is made out of plastic completely cracked in half. I had to have my car towed home. I'm now looking for a replacement part. I couldn't find any auto stores that have this part in stock. After looking at this forum, I think I will just go to the dealer tomorrow and purchase the aluminum version for $95. I also went onto safercar.gov and filed a complaint.

I loved this car because it was cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for :sick:
  • pgwolfpgwolf Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the interest but i been screwed over by gm for almost a year and a half. i can't wait to pay of this p.o.s. and never buy a chev again.
    Hello Pgwolf,
    You're welcome. If you change your mind please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • gmillerstlgmillerstl Member Posts: 1
    There is an AC Delco piece available for this aveo thermostat housing, it is the new aluminum style - not the plastic original one that keeps breaking. You can buy it online and it is a lot cheaper than at the dealer. The part number is 15-81580. I bought mine at oehq.com and it was fairly easy to install. I comes with the housing, thermostat and gasket and is ready to go.
  • georgerinnhgeorgerinnh Member Posts: 2
    I have had a similar problem with my 2009 Aveo. After about 25,000 miles, all the paint on the bottom 1/2 of the door is chipped to the point that even after a nice wash, the car looks filthy. There is no shine or gloss at all. After seeing similar damage on other Aveo's, and hearing about the issues here, I am convinced there is a design flaw with the fenders. You can actually see that the tires are wider than the bottom of the fenders. Brilliant. I have a 2000 Subaru Outback with 187,000 miles that has paint in the same area in MUCH better shape, and (naturually) that car spends a ton of time on dirt roads. The Aveo stays on the pavement. I'll be interested to see what the dealership says when I bring it up.
  • mgobenmgoben Member Posts: 2
    I have 20,000 miles on my 2009 Aveo and I have already had to replace the two front tires because they were worn bald on one side only. When I took it to my mechanic, he said there was a problem with the upper strut mounts and that the car would continue to have that problem unless and until I had something done about how loose they were. So, I took it back to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the car. The reason I went through two tire in less than 20,000 miles was because I didn't rotate and get an alignment every 10,000 miles. Are you serious? STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!
    mgoben,
    If you are not satisfied with the diagnosis of the GM Dealer, I would recommend taking your vehicle to a different GM dealer for a second opinion.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • no_big_dealno_big_deal Member Posts: 1
    Hi kimbercore,

Follow this link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Water-Outlet/2005-Chevro- let-Aveo/_/N-jmmi5Z8ii08?counter=0&itemIdentifier=177466_0_0_

Autozone has it, but it is not the cheap plastic king, it is made from aluminum, a lot more durable. It happened to my wife's car as well and I replaced it, I suggest you use silicone and it comes with the thermostat in place. BTW, Autozone doesn't call it thermostat housing, it refers to the part asCompressor Works/Water Outlet. It took me like 15 to 20 minutes to replace, only two bolts, very easy to take off and house leading to the radiator. Once replaced, careful not to overtighten, you can break the bolt holes holding the part in place. Good luck!!!!!!
  • msbreezymsbreezy Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    I have a Summer Yellow Aveo. As I read the other post with the same 5 different shades I felt sick.

I have had my car for 3 years, and it has 39,000 miles. I have had the roof painted within the first year due to cracking. The local dealership was gracious to repaint the hood which looked like the clear coat just dissolved, and the fin which the clear coat when wet became soggy and peeled. Unfortunately my car is now 7 shades, as the dealership painted part of the fender on both sides, and up the strip by the wind shield. Talk about tacky!

Is the paint under a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty? I love the mileage I get from the Banana, but when I finish paying this car off I am going back to Nissan.
    msbreezy,
    I apologize paint is not included in the Powertrain Warranty. Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this situation further. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cap0250cap0250 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo with 29k miles. I've noticed small areas on the hood that appear to be flaking off of the clear coat which makes the paint a different color. I found a new spot on the hatch door yesterday after I washed it. There are also places under the rear door where the paint is marred and chipped. I'm taking it to the Gm dealer tomorrow to file a formal complaint. This is my first chevy purchase and depending on what happens Ford might get me back.
    cap0250,

Since you are taking the vehicle to the dealership, please keep us updated on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dhart2dhart2 Member Posts: 7
    Our 2011 Aveo seems to be very hot after running in town...no warning lights or anything...just seems to have a "hot" smell, if that makes sense. The car is an Aveo hatchback 1LT with very low milage, as we have had it for a week. Do you folks on the forum think this is normal?

If it is, can air filter modification or better than "factory installed plugs" help? Any opinion is much appreciated...thanks.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not alarming... just the protective coatings burning off the new exhaust system. Perfectly normal and has happened on every new car I've owned or any time I've replaced exhaust system parts.
  • astarastar Member Posts: 8
    Has the timing belt been replaced on this vehicle YET ? They now require that it be replaced BEFORE 60,000 miles or the warranty is voided if any damage to engine due to timing belt failure. Timing belt failre could result in needing a whole new engine. There is also a smaller belt which I would change them both out at once just to be safe. I would see if the catalytic converter may be clogged with dirt also which causes heat and exhaust to back-up in the engine and causes cylinders to misfire, plugs to burn up and coverter insides to melt.
    The car will act like it is running on just two cylinders if it is a clogged converter.
  • northerncedarnortherncedar Member Posts: 11
    GMPP wrote to me that it is required maintenance to REPLACE my timimg belt BEFORE 60,ooo miles or my warranty would be void. At 59k miles I replaced (2) belts on the car, both were in bad shape, failure of the timing belt causes severe engine damage and often results in needing a new engine at your own expense if the 60k mile belt replacement was not done.
    I got all the coolant flushed and two weeks later the plastic housing cracked anyway, so Firestone replaced the entire thermostat with a new one which has an aluminum housing, the cost for the new thermostat was 109 dollars, 25 to pressure test the system, 13 dollars for replacement coolant, and 66 dollars labor. The towing cost 45 dollars. I am very pleased that this is the only time I have had to have a tow since I purchased the car brand-new in Jan 2005.
  • margeauxl1margeauxl1 Member Posts: 2
    Trust me on this one, 60K miles is when previous owners of the 2004 Chevy Aveo trade in their car in so they dont have to do this maintenance work. I bought mine with that same amount of mileage and did not know about the belt or if mine had been replaced. If your belt breaks, and it will be without warning-as you are crusing down the highway one day-your engine will be shot! The valves will bend and you will be advised that this is a "throw away car", that it is too costly to replace the engine-considering what the car is worth. I did get all this work done and I basically had to rebuild the engine. It was about a $1,500 repair done by people who cut me a better bargain than most would have charged. You can double the life of your car if you heed the warning and have that belt replaced before it does break. Rest assured that it will!
  • dhart2dhart2 Member Posts: 7
    I recently visited our local GM service department after repeated acceleration vibration/noise pertaining to our 2011 Aveo...they could not find the problem and contacted Detroit...

I should point out that it has not caused any performance problem at all...but it is "there" and it should not be. Our Aveo has 1500 miles.

Our local GM service rep told us that Chevy Detroit says it is a common problem with the 2011 Aveo and they are working to find the cause...

Has anyone experienced this? What would be suggested at this point? Thank you for any response.
  • fashion_girlfashion_girl Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem as you, except I didn't know about the timing belt issue when I bought it. It's a 2005 Chevy Aveo that had 66,000 miles when I purchased it, it's now 73,000 and I was recommended to replace it because there is no way to determine if it has been replaced without taking apart the engine. I also think that the previous owner didn't do it so I will need to do it... I didn't have any problems so far so hope if I replace the timing belt, I'll be fine... My question is : does anyone know how much does it cost? I have heard that it's better to replace the water pump at the same time. Also, if I need to replace the tensioner and air filter, how much would it be?
    My car's mileage is 30MPG (highway), but I guess it's not that great right? Is that true that if I replace the spark plugs and wires and the air filter I could get better mileage?
    Thanks all for your help!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    If the water pump runs off the timing belt, you probably need that replaced too. Also check tensioners and idler pulleys. Good luck.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Dhart2,

I looked into our database here and did not see any further information regarding this concern. If something is published, I will be sure to let you know.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jcbuchejcbuche Member Posts: 11
    Just got my car smogged, but failed due to the check engine light not working (i'm hoping it's just a burnt out bulb)

Any advice?

If I do attempt to change the bulb myself, any guidance on getting the center dash out?

Thanks everyone.
  • harley2010harley2010 Member Posts: 2
  • harley2010harley2010 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Aveo has 94000 miles. I have a problem - help!
    Changed my battery, all was good for about 2 months then the car wouldn't start - dead battery. Changed the alternator and was gven a new battery, if this car sits over 24 hours the battery is dead. Alternator is good is good and I am lost???
    Hi all,

I have a 2005 Aveo that is idling rough, all the time. In park it's not bad but in Drive and Reverse it's real bad.

I've replaced the intake air hose (going from air filter to throttle body?)
    and new spark plugs. But neither has resolved the issue.

I also noticed after letting it run for 5 mins or so that alot of moisture is dripping out of the muffler, alot more than what's normal.

Any advice is greatly needed.

With the weekend coming I need to make a decision ASAP, try to fix myself or take it in.

Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might have a vacuum leak somewhere. I'd check every vacuum line you can get your hands on. If you spray WD-40 around the hose fittings and the engine takes a stumble, then that means it sucked in the WD and you have a leak there.
    Well it'd be hard to tell if it takes a stumble cause it runs so rough. :)

Where are most of the vacuum located and or what do they look like?
    Generally smaller or smallish tubing..smaller than heater hoses, except for the one going to the power brake--that's a fairly large diameter vacuum hose and one worth checking.

You can also have an intake manifold vacuum leak, where the intake manifold bolts to the cylinder head. That seam is worth checking as well.

you could also have a bad Idle Air control valve, which might be stuck and causing a very low idle speed. Can you read the idle speed with your tachometer, in park? What is it?
    edited January 2012
    I was thinking the Idle Air control valve as well. All hoses looked good.

Would a bad Idle Air control valve explain the rough idle in park but even rougher in drive and reverse? I've heard some with bad Idle Air control valves only having rough idle in drive, not all gears like I'm having.

Thanks.
    Well if the idle speed is artifically low, then sure, it'll idle worse in drive than in park.
    Okay, thanks.
    Well, got the Idle Air control valve replaced, but problem persists. I'm out of ideas.

One thing I noticed was the plunger on the old valve was covered in this black sute, is that normal?
    edited January 2012
    Ah, that reminded me!! Has anyone checked the EGR valve and/or associated parts? Has the car been scanned for a trouble code related to the EGR system? Your symptoms do resemble this type of defect.
    edited January 2012
    No codes, tried to get a scanner thingy from my local Autozone but was informed they were illegal in California.

I any event, took it to the mechanic yesterday, had no choice, I need to get it running, they wife is tired on me using her car. :(
    What do you mean "illegal"? :confuse:

Well nothing wrong with trying your own repairs at first. Please let us know what the mechanic finds out.
    She said they were banned from being rented out in Cali, guess repair shops were complaining.

EGR is about $150, meaning repair shop will probably charge me $200. Bummer, but what are you going to do.

Thank you for your time, it's much appreciated. If I keep this car, I'm sure we'll cross paths again. :)