Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2012 engine and drivetrain

zenfmzenfm Member Posts: 10
Has anyone heard of a possible engine and transmission upgrade to something like the 1.8 liter and 6 speed automatic transmission that equip the 2011 Elantra sedan ? That would help improve fuel consumption and hopefully provide better performance than what you get with the actual 2.0 liter and 4 speed automatic.

Comments

• Options
    quebecois_33quebecois_33 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, Hyundai is going to stick with the Beta II engine and old 4-speed transmission in the Elantra Touring through 2012.

CEO John Krafcik is a big fan of the Elantra Touring / i30. But the direct injection engine and 6-speed transmission of the Elantra sedan won't cross over to the Touring until the all new i30 is released globally. That is coming soon - next Spring in Australia and Europe.

I fully expect the new Elantra Touring to be unveiled at the 2013 NY International Auto Show. We need to hang in there...
  • Options
    zenfmzenfm Member Posts: 10
    It's unfortunate. I believe they would increase their sales volume if it were not for that and a few other details. I would prefer the Touring to the Toyota Matrix because it's roomier and less expensive. The VW Golf Wagon is the other alternative as far as space. The VW is very attractive and fun to drive. But it has a history of being expensive as far as maintenance costs and is a bit pricy when compared to the alternatives.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    you are correct. As a Vibe owner, my ET is much better in most areas than my Vibe. I sure hope both the new i30 and i40 make it to the US market. If they do, I will be buying two of them, and keep my ET in my driveway as the 3rd car. Come on Hyundai: you now have the power to dominate the wagon/utility market; don't miss the opportunity.
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    I'm fortunate to get a company car for business use. Every 100,000 miles I get a new one, though the budget is always $20k or less. My current Kia Sorento is at 99,250, so I've been planning to get a replacement for a few weeks.

My hope is the Touring SE will still be able to handle the occasional hauling of company displays, auction items, promotional materials, and decorations for our quarterly fundraisers, as well as taking staff to trainings, community events, and company meetings.

The Sorento's been great, but it's a bit of a gas hog, and it's showing its age after six years, so I'm hoping the Touring SE will be a nice replacement.

We have a federal tax law seminar in Las Vegas in a month, so that will be the acid test on comfort, cargo capacity, economy, and road tripping.

I'll be certain to post back on its utility and convenience as time goes by.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I generally get a manual transmission, and the Touring SE I got yesterday is no exception. It's the third Kia/Hyundai I've had with a stick, including a 2000 Tiburon and a 2005 Sorento. Going from the well-used Sorento's gearbox to the Elantra's tight one reminds me of an old joke that's too dirty to repeat here.

It will take some getting used to. I stalled it the very first time I drove it. It's a much shorter, quicker box and the shift pattern is different. The clutch is also a lot tighter. Nonetheless, once I get used to it, it's going to be pretty snappy. It's a marked improvement over the old Tiburon shifter, and it will be an improvement over the smooth but sometimes balky Sorento stick. So that's the good news.

Less good is the overall noise level of the engine. Even here, the sound from the motor is better than the old Tiburon, but as has been remarked elsewhere, it's not quiet. I won't know until I take a longer trip how that noise plays out over time, but I think it won't be too noticeable after a while. It's just that the Sorento V-6 was a quieter engine and the Sorento cabin was generally a bit quieter.

In the Touring, both engine and road noise are higher, but not annoying (yet). I think I'll pull out the SPL meter and compare the two at some point.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    You might be interested to know that the M/T Touring SE comes with a B&M Sport Shifter as standard equipment. Shorter throws, much tighter gate. I have 25K on my 2010 model and the shifter is as tight as day one.

32-35 mpg on highway @ 70-75MPH.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I commented about ride and comfort in another thread, but on a recent trip from LA to LV the manny tranny got a real workout. On the lengthy stop and go of LA's freeways on an afternoon, it was tight and responsive, and on the long desert freeways, it worked smoothly and effortlessly.

It continues to give me a little grief when I'm stopped at a red light on a hill, but I'm slowly accommodating its touchy style from a standing start uphill. Yes, it's still very tight. ;)
  • Options
    We took the Touring from LA to San Jose and back on Thanksgiving, a little leery of snow at the top of the Tejon Pass in the Grapevine of I-5. Fortunately, there was just wind and dense fog. :surprise:

Anyway, I'm amazed at how this car likes to run on the open road. It creeps to 80, then 85, then 90 with no protest at all. It just wants to keep going, and it feels stable and confident the whole time. Well, sure, it's my foot on the gas pedal, but I'm traditionally a 65-75 MPH driver. :blush:

At those fast speeds, mileage suffers. The trip average was 29.6 MPG. That's at least 11 MPG more than my Sorento did on the last trip at 70 MPH, and the Sorento can be a rough ride on CA interstates. Plus, it's awkward in crosswinds, which were far less troublesome in the lower profile Touring.

My GF's main point of comparison: "My butt's not cold," due to the heated front seats.
  • Options
    micah7844micah7844 Member Posts: 1
    I have enjoyed reading your reviews! I bought a brand new 2007 Hyundai Elantra back in Aug. 2007, and before that I had a 2002 Hyundai Elantra that I had bought used. I am really impressed with Hyundai (more importantly their warranty!). My husband and I have been looking into getting another Hyundai (I currently have a Toyota Highlander. I have no need for an SUV of that size anymore), and we love the new Elantra Touring.
    As I read your reviews, I am curious if it is a vehicle you would recommend? What are some pros and cons?
    Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Micah
  • Options
    chas0215chas0215 Member Posts: 40
    Elantra Touring is being redesigned this year and should be unveiled at the NY Auto Show in April. Will be updated and improved and closely resemble the Elantra i30 that is sold in Europe. You may want to wait to see the redesign.
  • Options
    mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/275746/hyundai_i30_uk_drive.- html

if your interested for a sneak peek, check this site out of the i30 in the UK.
  • Options
    erzeszuterzeszut Member Posts: 16
    Hi--

Does anyone know for certain whether or not the Elantra Touring has rear-seat side-curtain airbags? From reading the specs, I'm guessing no. The Elantra sedan specs make a point to say front- and rear- side-curtain bags.

The Touring specs don't say anything about front- and rear-, so I'm guessing front-only. But a confirmation either way would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    I just got back from a sixteen day, 5,207 mile trip that included Phoenix, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Joplin, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Toledo, Kalamazoo, Chicago, Lincoln, Denver, Las Vegas, and back to Los Angeles. The Elantra Touring was flawless throughout the trip.

I got 31.6 MPG, and I stayed pretty close to posted speeds, usually just a mile or three over the limit. The car experienced outside temps from 37 to 107 degrees and elevations from sea level to 11,112 feet. I ground it out in super dense urban traffic with endless construction zones, high, steep mountain upgrades and downgrades, and endless rural stretches.

I also took it through Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Petroglyphs, Indiana Dunes, Colorado National Monument, and Zion National Park Service areas.

The glove box was ideal for keeping cool drinks, and the iPod connection and my iPod Classic served up over 1,100 tracks of nonstop music in between some Pimsleur language lessons in Korean on the CD player. All my gear fit under the security cover in the back, so it was safe and secure all the way.

All in all, the car was a comfortable, dependable, and entertaining companion. On a long, solo trip, what more could I want?