Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2012 + Toyota Camry

waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
edited July 2011 in Toyota
After many rumors for several years now, the CEO, Akio Toyoda, officially confirms an all-new 2012 Toyota Camry that will be released later in fall this year. This video shows the CEO speaking about the new 2012 Camry standing next to it, but Toyota prefers to wait releasing the design later to the public.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/company-ceo-teases-new-2012-toyota-camry

Please share your discussion with this new, upcoming 2012 Camry...

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Please share your discussion with this new, upcoming 2012 Camry...

...about that headlight? :confuse:
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Found this on the '12 Camry..

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-toyota-camry-revealed-in.html

Anyone have info on when Toyota will have the '12 Camry available...have a family member interested in a new Camry, but would like to see the '12 rather than purchase a '11 and wish they had waited.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    edited July 2011
    Here's a picture of the front and driver's side of the '12 Camry:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/04/is-this-the-2012-toyota-camry/
    I think that b&W picture is a fake. If you compare that picture to the official picture the gap b/t the hood and the fender doesn't match.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I like the 2012 version...it's not to radical of a change which is what most Camry owners probably want. It's aging nicely and doesn't look as frumpy and bloated as the current Accord, also a nice car but desperately in need of a redo, personal opinion of course. I think it will sell well and hold on to it's title of best selling car in America. Great job Toyota...it's about time! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• choochoomanchoochooman Member Posts: 38
    under automotivenews it says production wont start till 092011 hope this helps..also haven't seen anything on the new rav
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    The unveiling is tomorrow morning (8/23) at 10 am PST at the toyota web site
    I think Toyota shouldn't try to make this as a big thing (innovation).

I talk to several people and many of them share similar experiences...typical boring Camry...redesign? it's almost the same as the old Camry...
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    I wouldn't expect next Camry to look like Porsche or BMW. It is going to be another family sedan hopefully more reliable and comfortable then current generation.
  • warbucklerwarbuckler Member Posts: 2
    Didn't expect anything revolutionary. Didn't see integrated turn signals on the mirrors like every other competitor has not too mention Asian version of 2011. Can't believe they would omit this feature
  • zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    Liking what I see in the 2012 Camry. Exterior kind of looks like (Gen 5 + Gen 6)/2, with more angular rear and headlights, and the interior overall seems to be a nice update from the previous generation.

One question I have tough: Does the nav/audio system have hard drive storage for music? If so, how much? The EnTune system and apps are cool, but it would annoy me to have to drain my cell phone battery to access a library of music. The nav system is HDD based, but not sure if there's room for audio. Does anyone know for sure?
  • mrnadirmrnadir Member Posts: 28
    lines do not flow.
    ugly ricer wannabe bumpers.
    its like toyota took the old model (ugly too) and made the edges/lights sharper without rethinking the overall shape.
    And loose that "T" hump on the front.
    Toyota has lost its market share not because of the accelerator issue but because of making ugly cars.
    Ugliness combined with warranty repair refusals = less return buyers.
    My recommendation: Fire the designers in toyota and make the scion designers design the camry. Looks are everything. Look at the acura TL. The previous generation TL sold record numbers (it looked great). The new TL is hardly selling 25% of the old versions numbers.
    Accord still looks better than camry. Accord just needs to loose the overuse of chrome plated plastic all over. Heck, even Kias look better than toyotas.
    My recommendation: Fire the designers in toyota and make the scion designers design the camry.

...not like the new tC.
  • mrnadirmrnadir Member Posts: 28
    I have not seen the new tC. The old 2 door coupe was good. Camry front and back dont match. It always seemed like they took 2 different cars and fused them together somehow. The lights dont go with the body etc etc.
    I think the reason is secretive japanese culture. Japanese makers dont want to get consumer input because they are scared that the trial consumer might take spy shots etc etc. The result is a design which is approved by a room full of really old confused japanese guys whose grandkids are studying in LA driving ricer style lowered honda civics.
    Ricers may like the styling but dont have the money to buy new cars.
  • warbucklerwarbuckler Member Posts: 2
    Competition probably breathed a sigh of relief after seeing the new Camry, other than
    Entune didn't see that much to write home about. Toyota always seems to be worried about eating low end Lexus sales instead of going the distance and hitting out the park with something special.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Interior room, comfort and egress are more important to me than exterior styling. I'm getting too old to fall in to and climb out of sedans! Plus most of my height is in my torso and this current camry's windshield stops just short of my eye level. Literally have to turn my head sideways to see a traffic light. Hope they changed that
  • jimt888jimt888 Member Posts: 1
    When will dealers get the 2012 Camry? I heard it would be any day now. Also, will there be a new promotion for the 2011s when the 2012s show up?
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    It appears from the toyota site that a 2012 4 cyl XLE will be required to get the navigation feature in order to get satellite radio. Is this really true?

If so, bummer...
  • twitchhdtwitchhd Member Posts: 10
    Posted this in a different thread, but wanted to post here as it is about the 2012 camry se with navigation and entune.

Test drove the 2012 camry SE today with navigation and entune. The guy wanted $500 OVER invoice and was peanuts for my trade in. I walked out. The interior seems somewhat improved from 2011. The navi display unit has slightly inferior resolution compared to the hyundai elantra. However after installing an app on your cell phone you can use your phone's internet connection in the car which is cool (similar to ford sync I suppose). It took me a while to get the internet working in the car but it did finally. Incase anyone sees this thread in the future - you need to install the entune app on your cell and register on myentune (free registration). I think they give you 36 mos of free entune service. dunno what they'll charge after that. The voice recognition worked slightly better than the sonata bluelink. It was however slightly slower.

I still can't believe that 2012 models are still plagued by slow / poor resolution touch screen displays for navi/audio. It is nice to see that the trim comes with 90 days of free xm radio which worked fairly well. As the reviews indicated the steering is loose/weak. The i4 engine similarly (non cvt, I think) is probably more comparable to a hyundai elantra subjectively (i realize there is a horse power difference). Still quite noisy. Didn't test drive the v6. Despite all this I'd have considered purchasing it at the right price. The 0% 60 mos financing is for the 2011 model. No incentives/rebate for 2012 (atleast none that are announced per the dealership/or I could find). Along the same lines, I can't qualify for the $1000 recent college graduate promo either because they don't have a financing deal.
    No, navigation is available in SE (4 cyl) as well.
    The guy wanted $500 OVER invoice and was peanuts for my trade in.

$500 over invoice is a fair deal for a brand new car. I agree w/ the trade in value. It seems the Toyota dealers want to make more money on the trade in than Nissan dealers at least by about 2k. I had the same experience about 4-5 years ago w/ my Altima and last year when my brother in law wanted to trade in his Corolla.
    edited September 2011
    Car dealers (that doesn't apply to Toyota dealers only!) are in business to make money on cars. Buy low - sell high, why does it surprise anyone? Any trade ins will be re-sold with a good mark up. In today's economy a decent used car can be easily sold at full price by the owner.
    edited September 2011
    All dealers want to make money but Toyota dealers want more money compare to Nissan base on my personal experience. My guess is Nissan dealers only want to make about 2k while Toyota dealers want to make at least 4k on the used cars (3-4 years old cars).
    That's a moot point, you can't make a generalization saying that for your specific used car any Nissan dealer would give you $2K more than any Toyota dealer.
    Hmmm, I think my guess is very accurate...let see...for the last 14 years, I bought 3 Toyotas, 4 Nissans, 5 Infinitis.

Also, I helped my families to buy 3 Nissans and 4 Toyotas. ;)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I've got a couple year old camry and I like it. The new one - some improvements I suppose, but nothing that would make me run out and buy it, let alone get gouged in the process. Just wait until the toyoyathons in January and spring - you'll do much better.
    I might stay w/ the Altima b/c I like the push start and the dual exhaust. I was thinking about the Camry b/c of the touch screen. However, since someone mentioned that touch screen is not great plus the low trade in value w/ Toyota dealers, I will probably just skip the Camry.
    The Camry 2012 also has push start (atleast the SE trim i test drove did). In fairness, the touch screen is comparably slow with respect to other cars for instance the hyundai sonata also has a noticeable lag on the user interface. Probably one of the better ones I've seen is in the prius. I suspect there is a technological lag as it relates to the user interface on these new fangled devices and how the old behemoth car companies are able to embrace it. All I'm saying is don't expect quad core, sandy bridge performance from these display units. The internet connectivity through your cell phone to the car dash is an excellent addition but will undoubtedly drain your phone battery unless you plug it in.
    Thanks twitchhd. The push start is not standard. You either tested drive the SE w/ P2 or S3 package. It might be standard on the V6.
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2011
    I worded my orininal post badly. My issue is that to get satellite radio on a 4 cylinder XLS (or a 4 cylinder SE for that matter), you have to get nav as well. It appears that the 6-cylinder models can get satellite radio without getting nav.

Another issue is that the XLS 4-cylinders, at least based upon inventory in the southeast US, do not come with the basic nav, but all are upgraded with the nav plus entune. About $600 more. And they all come with the blind side and safety packages as well, another $1000 or so in options I do not need. So the only way (based upon the inventory) to get a 4-cyl XLS with leather and convenience packages, runs to over $31000 MSRP.

The SE seems to be less restrictive, can get just the base nav, leather, and convenience packages. Runs about $28.5K. But who wants black and ash seats in the hot southeastern US? No light colered leather seats are an option on the SE.
    Agree with the lack of interior color choices for SE. I would have preferred the white exterior + beige interior like the hyundai. The XLS does give you more color options. IMHO, the nav + entune is good for toyota. An internet connected car is a step in the right direction. In this case toyota is piggy backing on your existing cell phone data via bluetooth to provide it which has it's obvious pros and cons. The SE did not have the blind side detection (atleast the model I test drove).

Something to consider in warmer weather is the sticking effect of leather when it gets really hot. Leather does look nice, however.

The other cars to consider - ford fusion, hyundai sonata/elantra; nissan altima. They are in similar price ranges. Another thing - there is no financing deal on 2012 camry; there is 0% 60 mos on 2011 camry which is frustrating since I'm looking at 2012.
  • johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Checked out the new Camry today and was very disappointed. The front appears smaller and lower that the previous Camry looking like a compact car rather than one of substance. The back, on the other hand, reminded me of the older Chevy Malibu and the inside glove box was paper thin and felt cheap. After waiting months waiting for the new '07 Camry which turned out to be a good decisiion, I decided not to even drive the '12 Camry since I didin't want to waste my time or the salesman's time and could not see myself purchasing such an ugl, cheap looking car. Having previously owned a new Avalon and a new '07 Camry, I'm sure quality of the '12 Camry is OK but looks also count. Honda is looking better and the Hyundai looks are far superior.
    To bad you didn't at least take a test drive...just so you could report in here your observations about how it drove. Since you've owned other Toyota products, it would've been an interesting read.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mahi4umahi4u Member Posts: 2
    hi there, I am looking for 2012 camry models, I am getting OUT THE DOOR price of $23100 for LE model and $23400 for SE model at my dealer, what should I do and which model I should pick, thanks in advance
    edited October 2011
    23400 OTD for a SE sounds very good. Assuming that your tax is about 7-8% + $200 registration, the selling price is about $21,600 or 800-900 under invoice.

LE v SE? only you can decide.

BTW, I went to see the 2012 Camry this past weekend, I don't really like it. It looks way too small from the outside.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It is actually larger inside than the 2007-2011, and that generation is pretty big.
  • mahi4umahi4u Member Posts: 2
    i bought camry 2012 LE for $22500 out the door price in NJ, what do you think did I get good price?
    another question is should I buy extended warranty for 8yrs/75000miles platinum plan with $0 deductible at $750 or not
    thanks..............
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    Why worry about whether you received a good deal on a car you have signed to buy? If you found out you didn't, what would you do? Nothing. Enjoy your car!
  • adotadot Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for 2012 XLE 4 cylinder, leather, navigation w/entune, convenience package - push button etc etc.. for $28000 OTD. Is this a good deal, or should I still look around for a lower price?
    According to Clark Howard, pass on the warranty and bank the money for when a problem does creep up. Toyota's are pretty reliable rides and you shouldn't have too many issues. But if a warranty issue does happen, make sure to get it done before the warranty does run out. Doing that now on my kid's car...the shifter is being replaced due to excess wear and they are painting the outside black b pillar as it's fading. And no, we didn't get her an extended warranty...banking the $.

• mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    I think is a good deal specially in nj with all icl. tags, reg, etc. where did u get it from? can u give me the breakdown please, thanks
  • look4deal1look4deal1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for everybody who posted here. The discussion was much informative.
    Just bought a 2012 Camry LE with auto driver seat and floor mats for ~$22400 OTD in DC. According to the invoice minus $800-900 formula, seems alright.
    Wondering if the 7yr/125k extended bumper-to-bumper warranty is worth it for $1300 (effectively it's only 4yr/90k extra). I'm considering it since there are tons of electronics, and it's a re-design. My previous car lost the CD after 7-8 years that I simply went without, and another car had a faulty steering sensor that had to be fixed. Maybe I should wait until the expiration of manufacturer's warranty, and then buy.
    Thanks for commenting.
    you can get same toyota warranty for significantly less. Search for thread about Toyota extended warranty here.
  • mogambomogambo Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I got a quote for 2012 Camry XLE model 4 cylinder, cloth, without any package/options for $25,300 OTD. It's just the base XLE model. Is this price good? or should I look for a better price than this.

Please let me know your views on this price or if you bought a 2012 Camry SE or XLE and the OTD price you paid.

Thanks.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited October 2011
    Not worth it. Besides, the engine, transmission, electricals (except nav & radio/cd) are the really just about the same as the 2010 and 2011 SEs, & no problems with them. Most agree the extended warranties are not worth it - just keep the money (don't spend it though). Chances are after the warranty peroid would have expired, that you would not have used it.

These are big money makers for the dealers.