Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Chevy Malibu

bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
edited July 2011 in Chevrolet
Is it too early to begin discussing the new Malibu? Motor Trend has a review in its September issue and yesterday I saw a 2013 Malibu on the streets of Boston. It looks nice but anonymous, perhaps too much of a Camry clone. Nothing like the impact of the 2008 - 2012 Malibu. I know change is inevitable but in this case it is not for the better.

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning bwia:

I will be looking at that vehicle to replace my 2007 V6 XLE Toyota Camry. --- I presently also own a 2010 Chevrolet 4 cyl. Malibu LTZ and I like the vehicle.

It is my understanding that the 2013 Malibu is being built on the Buick Lacrosse platform, and it will be getting the Buick four cylinder engine, so basically you have a Buick with a Chevrolet name plate!

I would also like to look at the new Impala with the six speed automatic transmission, but the 3.6 V6 engine has had early timing chain problems in the past, ----- and I DO NOT know "IF" the problem has been resolved in the NEW production run of the engine for the Impala????????

I enjoy driving the 2010 Malibu. It drives like my old four cylinder 2003 Honda Accord. --------- (I would be driving a Honda today, "IF" the Honda Corporation had the ability to design seats THAT ARE COMFORTABLE!

When all is said and done, I will probably end up with another Toyota product, (a Camry or an Avalon), because of a lack of product quality and customer relations with the American products, ---------- but I will look at the Chevrolet line. ---- My Toyota has been trouble free since it was delivered, and when the corporation when through the "unintended acceleration issue," both Toyota and the selling dealer kept me informed in a professional manner throughout the entire process. ------- When my 2010 Malibu suffered from the "surging issue at 12,000 miles," I had to research this problem on my own, even though GM knew about this problem since 2009. ----- (Customer relations is EVERYTHING when dealing with an expensive product! ----- I guess some companies DO NOT understand this most basic concept.) ---- The American nameplate companies do not seem to have a "respect" for the customer. --- Ford has it's "blown out spark plug issue" that it ignores, ---- Chrysler has it's "sludge issue" with the 2.7 engine that it blames on the customer, ---- and GM has oil and timing chain issues!) ---- When I purchase an expensive product I want a quality product, and I will accept nothing less. ----- On the other side of the issue, I must say that I have an outstanding servicing Chevrolet & Toyota Dealer. The Chevrolet dealer diagnosed the "surging problem" and repaired the vehicle in a timely manner, BUT GM knew about this issue since the 2009 production run! ---- QUESTION: ---- Why didn't GM correct the software problem for the 2010 production run?????????

Best regards. -------------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • smegleysmegley Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    Motor Trend has a 3 minute first look video of the 2013 Malibu on youtube. Looks pretty decent, actually, but if you want a V6 you are out of luck. I think this looks far better than the new Camry will (un-camo'd photos hit the web today) but I have to admit I trust a Toyota 4-cylinder over a GM 4-cylinder, although not by much.
    Hi smegley:
    The 2013 Malibu looks very good. I would like to take it on a test drive. ---- Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I recall that Toyota had a BIG problem with engine sludge which of course they blamed on the customer. Finally a class action suit forced Toyota to fess up. Toyota in general makes relatively trouble free cars but dealer maintenance is very expensive if you follow the guidelines. I think of Toyota Camrys as appliances. They have had bland styling for years. The Avalon is the only Toyota I would consider and if Cadillac doesn't come through with an XTS that compares to my old Deville rather than a "sport sedan" with a "performance" ride I'll get an Avalon in three or four years. Right now I'm looking at a 2014 XTS in 2015.

I'd like to find someone who could tell me the difference between my 2011 Malibu and a base model LaCrosse. I keep kicking myself for not getting the LaCrosse as my Cadillac replacement this year but perhaps I did the right thing. There would have to be a tremendous difference in the ride of the LaCrosse along with the overall feel of the car - heavier, more substantial etc. I wonder if there is?

As for the 2013 Malibu it has been downsized wheelbase-wise but 3" wider.
    I understand that there are "small" reductions in headroom and legroom. This is a total turnoff. The 2011 is barely big enough and I'm 5'10". My seat is all the way down. If it was up far enough for me to comfortably rest my arm on the window sill I'd be touching the ceiling. If cars continue to get more streamlined, lower, and harder to get in and out of I'll buy a mint 1966 Impala and keep it for the rest of my life. To hell with the gas mileage. It rode beautifully, was heavy, and had a big seat , plenty of headroom, and was easy to get in and out of. I may also get a 2011 DTS in 4 years. The '66 Chevy would be cheaper to operate though. I also liked my '78 Impala. It rode better than any Chevy now. There are probably some around and in Hemmings.
    Hi dispencer2:

I am seriously staring to look for a replacement for my 2007 XLE V6 Toyota. I will probably make a purchase next Summer. ------- I want to see the new Impala and the new Malibu. If I pick the Malibu it will have a 4 cylinder engine. If I go with the Impala, it will have a 3.6 V6 engine. This is where the problem comes into the mix. The 3.6 V6 engine has "timing chain issue" at very early mileage, and GM seems to be dragging their feet on this issue. -----(Check the "net" and you will see what I am referring to with regards to this issue.) ----- I will also look at the Camry and the Avalon. The base Avalon is very close in price to the Camry XLE, but it is a longer vehicle. ----- Another vehicle of interest would be the Honda 4 cylinder Accord EX-L "IF" the seats are comfortable! --- Historically, the back of the Honda seats are very narrow, and they prevent my back from getting proper support. I really like the Honda line of vehicles. but I need comfortable seats. ---- Another vehicle of interest is the Hyundai Genesis. This is a rear wheel drive vehicle, and it is in the price range of the Avalon. My problem with the Genesis is that the Hyundai dealers in my area of northern New Jersey leave a lot to be desired. There is one possible dealer that I may visit! ----- I will compare the new Chevrolet Malibu to the Buick Lacrosse. ----- I like the impala but I am very concerned with the "timing chain issue" of the GM 3.6 V6! ----- This issue has been going on for some time, and I wonder why GM has not taken "aggressive action" to solve this problem. --- As you can see, I take a long time to make a purchase. (It is buyers market! ---- I want the manufacturers to impress me with their products, their service and their follow up with regards to warranty claims! ----- Dealer SERVICE is very important to me because my vehicles are my office! ---- My vehicles need to be 100% at all times, and if something fails, I need it repaired ASAP in a timely / professional manner!) -----------Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2011
    I'd like to find someone who could tell me the difference between my 2011 Malibu and a base model LaCrosse.

I have a 2008 Malibu LS and a 2011 LaCrosse CXS. We removed the cloth seats and installed Katzkin leather in the Malibu that transformed it into a luxury car. The Malibu worked great until the warranty expired. Suddenly we began hearing a glurking sound which resulted from a Power Steering failure. As you may remember this was part of a Chevy recall so the steering mechanism was replaced, thank goodness under warranty. Now it is doing the same thing again and it is in the shop right now. I hope it is covered under warranty since this an ongoing problem.

As to the handling between the LaCrosse CXS and the Malibu there is no comparison as I have the touring package with Hiper Strut and 19” low profile tires on the CXS. But for some reason I like the ride on the Malibu better as it soaks up the bumps better and it is less prone to road noise as the CXS.
    However, the LaCrosse CX comes with 17” wheels and therefore is much more quiet on the road than the CXS. Perhaps the more comparable model to the Malibu is perhaps the Buick Regal but I have not driven it so I cannot offer an opinion. (Check the 2010 -2011 Buick LaCrosse thread, In Post#1741 e_net_rider has written a good comparison there)

If your budget is flexible perhaps you should consider a CXL with leather. You get quite a few more goodies than the base car. One more point, regardless of the model purchased I would highly recommend the Blind Side Alert and Back-up camera. Visibility in the LaCrosse is not good and without these two options driving becomes a challenge.
    Since I have a real interest in the NEW Chevrolet Malibu and the Impala, I have been doing extensive research on the 3.6 engine issue on the "net". ---- Some people think that the "timing chain problem" has been corrected after the 2008 production run, while others think that it still exists in the current production. ---- Some individuals think the "timing chain issue" is associated with end play in the camshaft causing additional stress of the timing chain. ----- Some people think it is a combination of a poor quality chain, end play in the camshaft and extended oil and filter changes, and the quality of the motor oil. ---- Since there are General Motors Customer Service people on this site, it would be VERY helpful if they would share some information on this subject. ---- If the timing chain fails when the vehicle is under a "GM extended warranty," (and the oil and filter changes have been performed at or earlier than required), will the warranty cover the total repair, or will GM dump the responsibility on the owner claiming poor vehicle maintenance by the owner? ------ Best regards. ------ Dwyane :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    TO THE GM REPRESENTATIVE ON THIS SITE: ---------To say the least, ----- I am a little disappointed about the lack of a professional response to my previous posting with regards to the 3.6 V6 GM engine. ----- I would think that the GM representative on this site would be eager to share some basic information with a customer who wants to trade in a Toyota Camry for the NEW Chevrolet Impala! --- The lack of response makes me believe that this "timing chain issue" is real! ---- Please say that this is NOT TRUE! ----- Best regards! ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I doubt the GM rep is no more than a customer service rep that routes issues between stations...I wouldnt think the ones that sit on these boards would offer much of any insight on your questions/concerns due to liability reasons....If you are waiting to get GM tech guidance or TSB notice here.....dont think you will ever see it.

Now I must say..if there is a malibu specific board somewhere, there may be a tech rep lurking on it.....I was a member of the solstice forum, a totally separate forum from this....and we actually had a dealer owner, a service manager, a GM tech rep and engineer, as well as a line operator from the plant that visited the board and provided, "unname source" information so to speak...sometimes in public and sometimes in PM......dont think you will see that kind of participation on edmunds...
    Hi Pao:

You make an excellent point! ----- Silence sometimes is a GREAT communicator! ---- This is how the situation breaks down. ---- I can purchase a NEW Toyota Camry or an Avalon with a 3.5 proven engine, ---- or I can purchase a New Impala with a 3.6 V6 the six speed trans, ---- or a Buick with the 3.6 V6 engine that has the potential of a timing chain issue at VERY low mileage. ----- I do not care what the name plate is on the side of the vehicle, ------ manufacturers need to take responsibility for producing major components that are trouble free for a reasonable amount of time. ------ I cannot believe that after YEARS of producing vehicles, both in the United States and the world, we still have problems with timing chains, clutches, transmissions and cooling system components. -------- "IF" there is an "on-going" problem with the timing chain in the 3.6 V6 GM engine, ---- why has GM allowed it to exist for such a long time? ---- What is the point of this lack of action? ---- The Impala is going to be a very desirable vehicle with the six speed transmission, but with the 3.6 V6 engine and a "timing chain issue" doesn't this put a "damper" on new vehicle sales? ----- If GM is reading this posting, the buying public wants QUALITY for their hard earned dollars. ---- We are willing to maintain our vehicles at the dealer to keep our warranties up-to date, but we will not accept early failure of a major component as a normal occurrence. Timing chains should last at least 100,000 miles or the life of the engine. ------- If "end-play" in the camshaft assembly is causing additions stress on the timing chain, now we have a major engine problem, and that translates into "engine rebuilding." -------- Should customers have to experience this in a new vehicle? ------ I DO NOT THINK SO! ------ Just some thoughts to consider.

Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):) :mad:
    while I dont disagree with anything you say.....I beleive one has to look at the big picture...and determine what the actual failure rate of the chain in the 3.6 engine is....while we hear about those who have the issue on the "net," do we really know the total number of failure against the total number produced? Like most public forums you only hear about the problems and not the compliments in most cases. Most will tell you that a certain number of failures is probably statistically acceptable.....is it 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000 or 1 in 10,000.....I dont know that answer...do you?

you say major components trouble free for a reasonable amount of time...again what is considered reasonable...3-36, 4-50, 5-100 reflecting the standard bumper to bumper on most GM cars 3-36 with the 5-100 for the drive train, and 4-50 for the Cadillac with the 5-100 for the drive train....

on the cadillac side on this forum..there is a major discussion ongoing about total engine failure due to loss of oil on the 04-06 CTS...where there is no indication of oil leaks....it simply seems to be burning in the engine apparently or trapped elsewhere causing the engine to seize....again..GM not taking responsibility....as most of these have 80+k miles on them..and no covered under the 5-100 which started with the 07 model year. I admit there seems to be problem here, but just how big is it is the question I would pose.....
    edited August 2011
    Good Morning pao:

You make some very interesting points.

With regards to the longevity of the timing chain, I would compare that to the longevity of a timing belt. ---- Most timing belts are replaced around 90,000 miles or six years which ever comes first! ---- I would expect that a timing chain would last a least 90,000 miles easily! ----- But the chains are failing as early as 4,000 miles in some cases. One person posted on another site that his vehicle has TWO timing chains assemblies replaced within 24,000 miles. ----- There is more to this issue that needs to be researched!

There is also an oil usage issue on the Chevrolet line of vehicles. ---- As you know from my previous postings, I own two vehicles, (a 2007 V6 XLE Camry and a 2010 LTZ Malibu.) ---- Toyota, in the past has suffered from a "sludge issue" in their engines. While Toyota recommends changing engine oil every 5,000, I have chosen to change my oil every 2,500 miles. My dealer recommends the use of an oil additive (BG-MOA) at every oil and filter change. I have used this product since the vehicle was new. My Camry now has almost 68,000 miles, and the oil on the dip stick is as clean as the day that I picked up the vehicle when new. ----- I never use oil between oil and filter changes which occurs every 2,500 miles. ----- Some manufacturers see using one quart of oil every 1,000 miles as being acceptable. I DO NOT AGREE! (If that is acceptable, I would be using two and one half quarts of oil in 2,500 miles! ----- Is that acceptable??????)

What I find VERY interesting is the SILENCE on the part of the GM representatives on this issue! ------- I will be purchasing a vehicle next year, and I am presently doing my research. ---- As a consumer, I want comfort, quality, performance and dependability. ---- Since I always purchase an extended warranty on a vehicle, I have no problem having all my service work performed by the selling dealer, but I DO NOT want to purchase a vehicle that has a "built in problem" that is not being addressed in a professional manner. This means servicing the units already in the field, and correcting the problem in the production for new units. ----- Replacing a timing chain assembly is a "BIG ISSUE" on new vehicles. It might require the removal of the engine. ----- This does not play out well in the eyes of the customer, even though the mechanical problem has been corrected, because the customer has paid a large amount of money for the product! ----- If this issue is an isolated case, that is one thing, but if this issue is an epidemic in the GM family of vehicles this is a totally different issue!

Best regards. ------ Thanks for the posting. ---------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    again...you have seen my opinion about a GM rep responding on an internet forum.....dont think you will ever see it happen....
    Pao:

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of this situation, and I agree with YOU 100%! ----- (I NEVER expected anyone from GM to respond to my concern about this 3.6 issue, --- because this would prove that such a condition exists with their vehicles.) -------- I personally enjoy driving my 2010 LTZ 4 cylinder Malibu now that the "surging issue has been eliminated," ----- BUT ----- I question the ethics of a manufacturer who would allow this condition to exist in the 2010 production line, when it originally surfaced in the 2009 production line of the SAME VEHICLE! ---- I would assume that GM would like to sell a number of units of both the 2013 Malibu, and the new Impala. ----- Logic would dictate, that "IF" there was a problem with a component of a vehicle, the manufacturer would correct that problem, and not make more of the same mistakes over and over again in a new production run! ------ QUESTION: ----- Is there any other problem with these vehicles that has not yet surfaced, that GM is currently aware of with the existing new vehicles? ----- I personally admire the looks of the GM line of vehicles. (Example; --- Buick Lacrosse, Malibu and Impala.) --- I want to purchase American name plate vehicles, BUT I want quality from the manufacturer of that vehicle. ---- I have no complaint with the way GM and my selling dealer solved the surging problem with my LTZ Malibu, BUT I would have like to have avoided the issue altogether! ---- Since the condition existed in the 2009, there is no reason why GM could not have solved the cause of this issue prior to the 2010 production run of the Malibu "IF" they cared about their customer base! ----- Are they any different than any other vehicle manufacturer? ---- "NO"! ----- Every manufacturer wants their vehicle out in the marketplace, and let the customer run back and forth to the dealer to work out the "BUGS!" ---- Let the paying customer be inconvenienced! ------ My 2010 LTZ Malibu came with original equipment GOODYEAR tires. I replaced them immediately with Michelin tires when I found that the Goodyear tires did not hold air. ----- (Goodyear tires for my Malibu retail for $98.00 each, while the equivalent original equipment Michelin tires retail for $205.00 each. Do you think there just might be a big difference in "tire quality" and "construction?" ---- I purchased the "Top of the Line Malibu" and it came with "bottom of the line tires!" ------ QUESTION: ----- As a vehicle customer, what is your life worth? To switch these tires it cost me $800.00 + dollars retail. GM could have given me a better grade of tire because they purchase on a wholesale basis. ------- Best regards to all! ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    The 2012 Camry was unveiled last week and Toyota played it safe by sticking to the same platform but with edgier lines, Avalon-style bumper and more interior space. Certainly not as nice as the Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata but it looks nicer (inside and outside) than the 2013 Malibu. So, even before the Malibu is launched it is facing formidable competition from the new Camry (especially the SE and Hybrid 43 mpg city versions) not to mention the new Altima and Accord that will be released next year.

Hmmn! I was thinking perhaps GM should continue the current Malibu design but this time as a dressed-up Buick. With soft-touch materials inside, tech package, a new rear end and the Buick waterfall grill, that *formal* design would fit well in the Buick line up.
    Hi bwia:

I will be looking at both the New Camry and the New Malibu! --- I will only look at the XLE V6 Camry, while I will look at the 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu. I hope that the Malibu comes with the Turbo Option like the Buick Regal! ---- Since the dealer installed the new software in my 2010 LTZ 4cyl Malibu, the vehicle has operated very efficiently. I get the posted MPG, and it handles well on the road. ---- (It could use some more passing power, and that is why I would like the Turbo Option!) --- I think the new 4 cylinder Malibu will have dual exhaust. ------ (Now, it they could put in a "slight rumble" like a Ford Mustang in the exhaust, everything would be perfect!) ---- I find the Malibu to be a "sharp looking vehicle!" ----- Best regards! ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    The reason why I bought a 2011 Malibu LT instead of the 2013 model is because of the shorter wheelbase and the "slight" decrease in head and leg room on the 2013. I haven't seen any dimentions for the new model so I can only go by car magazine comments. The new model looks very bland - much like a Camry with the same lines. The present model looks much more elegant.

GM's objective seems to be to create a cheaper Regal and the last thing I want - coming from a DeVille - is a "performance" suspension like the Regal (or the CTS). The car magazines all talk about how great the Regal "handles".

I've owned probably 40 automobiles and never had a problem with "handling". Every one of them followed the steering wheel and I can't understand the great emphasis from Consumer Reports to Motor Trend on "handling". I'm interested in ride and the Malibu has a comfortable ride. It isn't as insulated as my Cadillacs and doesn't feel as "substantial" but it will do until Cadillac sells its mid sized XTS. It also gets about 35 on the road at 65 (33 at 70) so gas mileage is ok. It should improve - I only have 2300 miles on it.

I don't consider Camry as a potential car. I don't like Toyota's covering up the serious oil sludge problem until it was sued. Dealer 'recommended" service on Toyotas is ridiculous and over priced. All I have to do with a Chevrolet is change the oil and some filters for 100,000 miles. The worst car I ever owned (thank God it was a second car) was a Tercel. It was a toss up as to whether the engine noise was higher than the road noise. For what I paid for it with virtually no options I could have bought a fully loaded Cavalier. I'll stick with GM thanks.
  • benrey23benrey23 Member Posts: 42
    As a Chevy Salesman I am tired of customers complaining about maintenance. Many of the issues on hear are do to poor customer maintenance. It is also funny how sites like this attract the people unhappy or ticked off. Happy customers have better things to do. However BMW,Toyota, Honda ect have been pushing maintanence that GM, Ford ect. used to avoid at dealers. Maintaining your car is very important in its reliabilty and performance.
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    To sound credible, can you tell us about a couple of real-life cases at your dealership, when the issues were due to "poor customer maintenance"?

Since this is a Malibu board, the cases better be about a 2004+ year Malibu, but if you can't quote such a case, a case involving any Chevy, model year 2004 or later, would be interesting to hear.

(To make it clear: I don't believe your claim and don't expect that you honor my request. If you do, I will appreciate it.)
    I shouldn't knock the Camry. It is just like your refrigerator. It is an automotive appliance. People buy it because it is very dependable, rides well, gets good gas mileage and is fairly cheap. It isn't striking in design, the interior is old fashioned looking, it doesn't try to compete with whoever has the most sophisticated electronics and 12 speaker radios, and it isn't exciting to drive but neither was a 1951 Cadillac and lots of people bought them. In fact up until around 1955 there was no interest in any of the big three to build a car that did anything but haul six people around in soft comfort. Toyota has continued this marketing plan and Camry is one of the best selling cars in America if not THE best selling.

Obviously the glitzy cars built by the big three with all kinds of sophisticated electronics haven't outsold the Camry so I guess buyers aren't as impressed as the guys from Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Before we get off track, let's remember that this discussion is intended for conversation about the upcoming 2013 Malibu. We have plenty of active discussions for conversation about previous model years. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Has anybody tested the 2013 Malibu?
    HI ALL: -----------I am looking forward to seeing the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. It is going to have a 2.5 four cylinder engine.

Since the Chevrolet dealer up-dated the software in my 2010 - 4 cylinder Malibu is drives GREAT! ----- I easily get 30 mpg at 60 mph. ----- On a long road highway trip I get 33 mpg with 87 octane off brand fuel. ---- (I still service the engine every 2,500 miles at the dealer, and I use BG / MOA in the oil. ----- I also run a fuel additive to keep the injectors clean.)

I will probably trade my 2007 XLE V6 Camry in the Spring! ------- If the 2013 Malibu lives up to my expectations, I will purchase one! ----- If a Turbo is offered, it might be late in the production year, so as such, I my have to delay my purchase. -------- (I still have some time left on my extended warranty on the Camry!)

Best regards to all!

Dwayne :shades: ;):(
    Automobile Magazine wrote a positive review of the 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco. Read full report at
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1112_2013_chevrolet_malibu_eco_drive- n/index.html
    edited December 2011
    What's positive in this report, ending with "from where we sit, it wasn't worth it"?

An overpriced, over-engineered car with an untested power plant, compensating odd gizmos and an abysmal fuel economy.

What's positive there, then?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I like what I've seen of the 2013 Malibu, but then I liked the '08-'12 version, too. Except for the so-called "Camaro" taillights and a slightly boxier front end, this new 'Bu doesn't look much different from the previous one.

The bigger problem I have with it is the dimensional changes: Shorter, with less legroom, but wider? What's with that? It seems that they're designing the car for shorter and , uh...wider people. And with the Cruze offering decent accomodations at least up front, plus a larger trunk, why push the Malibu down in size? I don't get it.
    Hi All:

I am still waiting to see the new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The dealer told me that it would be in the showroom sometime in April.

I stopped at a Buick dealer to see the new Verano. I looked at the "top-of-the-line Verano," and it does not come with a power seat on the passenger side of the vehicle! ---- This is a BIG marketing mistake on the part of Buick. ----- My 2010 LTZ Malibu has twin front power seat! --- What was Buick thinking?

Recently I took a test ride on a 2012 XLE Toyota Camry. I drove both the 4 and 6 cylinder models. This is a very nice vehicle. My dealer is very anxious to take my Camry in on trade because of my style of maintenance. He might have a buyer lined up for my vehicle.

On a trip to Gettysburg PA with the Camry, I managed to get 34 mpg at 60 mph with off brand fuel and no cruise control. ------- That is not bad for a vehicle with 70,000 miles. ------- The new four cylinder Camry is rated at an average of 35 + mpg! ---- This is going to be a hard decision! (Camry vs Malibu) --- I have two excellent dealers.

Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;)
    edited January 2012
    Dwayne,

I saw the 2013 Malibu at the New England auto show yesterday. Compared to the current Malibu it "looks" much bigger, closer in size to the Impala than the 2012. Standing side-by-side to the 2012 the 2013 Malibu looks like a genuine mid-size car compared to the compact like size of the current Malibu.

The interior design, quality and fit and finish of 2013 Malibu is superior to Camry (based on both cars displayed at the auto show) in every respect but when it comes to exterior design I would rate the Camry above the 2013 Malibu. Unlike the other Chevy products that created a buzz at the auto show, the Malibu was anonymous and forgettable by comparison. The Buick Verano is a nice car but pricey (at $28,000) and too cramped on the inside. I don’t think Buick will sell many of these as the target market seems ill defined.

Stay Blessed
    Hi bwia:

Thank you for your posting. I will be going to an auto show at a community college in New York State. There will be a Chevrolet dealer at the show, so just maybe there will be a 2013 Malibu that I can look at!!!!!!!!

My basic concerns are vehicle ride, seat comfort and mpg.

I am lucky because I have two great dealers in terms of service, (Chevrolet & Toyota) I have a 2007 Camry and a 2010 LTZ Malibu.

Thanks again for the information.

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    edited January 2012
    Compared to the current Malibu it "looks" much bigger, closer in size to the Impala than the 2012.

Interesting... If I remember the specs at Edmunds' correctly, 2013 is 3 or 4 inches wider than 2012 but not bigger in any other respect, and they (Edmunds.com) introduce the upcoming model this way: ... Chevrolet will debut a smaller and more fuel-efficient 2013 Malibu.

When you say, Standing side-by-side to the 2012 the 2013 Malibu looks like a genuine mid-size car compared to the compact like size of the current Malibu.,
    do you mean that the 2012 Malibu was also presented at the show, parked next to 2013?

The interior design, quality and fit and finish of 2013 Malibu is superior to Camry (based on both cars displayed at the auto show) in every respect
    Like what?..
    but when it comes to exterior design I would rate the Camry above the 2013 Malibu.
    Because?.. Maybe "the eye of the beholder"? :)

(Buick Verano) I don’t think Buick will sell many of these as the target market seems ill defined.
    I am beginning to feel that Chevy won't sell many of the new Malibus. With the engine problems plaguing recent (2011) GM buyers (see other boards).

GM would better focus solely on reliability, aggressively taking care of those who have been made unhappy with their purchases, for real reasons. Can one name a recent (say, 2008+) GM car/SUV make or model that has been proven "solid like a rock"?...
    With regards to the four cylinder engine problems, most of these issues tend to be with the Chevrolet Equinox. I wonder if these engines come from a different engine plant???????? I have a four cylinder 2.4 in a 2010 LTZ Malibu that is very quiet and smooth! It now has 24,000 miles!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;)
    edited January 2012
    You are probably right about Equinox being the most visible sore spot. But I've been watching the GM cars' boards for quite a while and have a firm feeling that all the current GM cars are plagued with some fundamental problems. Don't remember how Buick has been surprising its buyers but remember that it has done so, unpleasantly. Cadillac? The 3.6L 6-cyl burns oil like crazy, stalls etc. Impala? Depends on the model year -- may be tires being quickly worn out, may be leaking gaskets. And guess what? For 2012, Impala got an improved engine -- 3.6L (the same as in in Cadillac, I figure :)). Cruze has been with us for one year only and already I've got an impression that the car is causing its owners pains. (I read somewhere that its steering wheel may come off while driving... he-he... But surely the quality of the internal materials is top-notch... and the very special firm seats...) If anything, the Malibu's boards have been relatively quiet over the last year.

The fact that you hear more about Equinox and Impala problems may be, among other things, related to the number of the cars on the road. Where I live, I think I see dramatically more Equinoxes, and somewhat more Impalas than (the 2008+) Malibus. In fact, today, in 2012, it still seems to me that this (2008+) generation of Malibu is a newly designed line -- so few of these cars I see around. And no surprise: with roughly the same MSRP, Equinox is a much more practical vehicle, truly a UV. Being more spacious, it also claims a better highway mileage than Malibu -- 34 vs 32 MPG. What's not to like about Equinox, and what would cause one prefer Malibu? So, I figure, there are more Equinox buyers to be hit with the car's problems.

As for the engines, search for "GM Family II engine" at Wikipedia: the one in the 2008+ Malibu is LE5, the one in the 2011 Equinox is LAF, on which Wikipedia says:

The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L... version of the Ecotec...
    The LAF is a direct injected 2.4 L. It uses technology based on GM’s other four-cylinder direct injection applications...

Perhaps, LAF is worse (i.e. less reliable than LE5), but these two engines don't seem to be fundamentally different. And why should one assume that the 2.4L engine in a Malibu will be always better than the one GM is happy to install in other cars?

I have a practical interest in watching all these troubles: 2012 had been my target year for replacing one of my Malibus with a new car (the GM card cycle being one of the factors.) Another Malibu has been the likeliest candidate. But I am reading all these boards, where day after day, somebody new pops up, cursing his past stupid belief in "the new GM". The car that I've been thinking about replacing, is a 2005 Malibu, which has been reasonably trouble-free: if anything failed, it was auxiliary equipment -- the radio, an A/C component. So, what if I buy a new Malibu, and get a PITA similar the ones I am reading about? (Impala is off my list already, purely because of its disturbing reliability.)

About three weeks ago, I went to a dealer and drove the 1.8L Cruze (didn't like it), and the 2.4L Malibu (still on the list.) In 20 minutes of the test driving one cannot fully evaluate a car (although some can be crossed out after the first traffic light, like Cruze.)

Honestly, I don't know if I liked the 2012 Malibu -- when I test-drove it in 2008, I got a more positive impression. But this is "unscientific" -- again, too little time behind the wheel.

Perhaps 2013 Malibu is going to be better than this generation (at least they made its front end look good, at last). But having connected the dots between the scarce bits of information about it, I do have concerns. And the biggest concern is the engine design and reliability

We'll see... Maybe it will be a 2012 Malibu for me: I am now encouraged with your words. "Quiet and smooth!" -- glad to hear it. After my test drive I got afraid that they have lost that already...

The 2008+ model owners: Have you been happy with it? Is it reliable? Would you buy it again? (This is slighly off-topic for the board about the 2013 Malibu but only slightly, and I would pick the answers posted on another board...) Thanks!...
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    i have the original (2007 aura) and have been very happy with it. its a little over 5 years old and 68k miles. it had a couple minor things go wrong near the beginning but nothing major and they are things that have been corrected on the newer cars. its an xr 3.6 which is what the ltz was patterned after. drives great with alot of power and excellent mileage. about 30 highway and 24 average. i would highly recommend it. it been a very good for a first year car and now being in its 6th year im sure its alot better yet.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2012
    I have had experience with two 2008 and one 2010 GM models.

First was 2008 CTS I had for 15 months when I assumed a lease. It was flawless the time I had it. No oil leaks/usage, nothing. Got terrific highway mileage on two trips to Florida from DC--28.5 mpg! However, the 6-CD radio was not up to the standards I expected in sound quality.

Second is 2008 Malibu 2LT I ordered to my specs and still drive. Has 30K miles and it too has been flawless. Nothing other than routine maintenance. I get 32-33 MPG on the highway with the 4 cylinder, 4-speed auto. Very quiet car.

Third is 2010 Malibu 2LT I bought from stock and still drive. Has 16k miles and had the reflash done which improved the 6-speed auto shifting. This was done when the car was in for an oil change. I get 35-36 mpg on the highway with the 4cyl. This is also a very quiet car.

I will be looking closely at the 2013 Malibu when it debuts. Hope my real world experiences help.
    Hi All:

I will be attending an auto show on January 27th, and hopefully they will have a new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu at the show.

My choice in terms of a vehicle has come down to two vehicles. ------ A 2012 XLE Camry or a 2013 LTZ Malibu. ------- (The Camry will hold its value better than the Malibu, and the Toyota dealer has excellent service. ------ On the other side of the issue, I like the looks of the Malibu, but it will lose value quicker than the Camry. ------- The Chevrolet dealer also offers excellent service.) ------ The new Malibu will have twin exhaust out the back, while the Camry offers a single exhaust. --- I like the look! ------- (To get a twin exhaust, I would have to purchase a V6 XLE Camry!) ---- Do I go for "looks," ----- or do I go for "value?"

Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    Thank you all (djm2, onefunkar and bryan, so far) for summarizing your experience -- this is, indeed, very helpful! I won't be replying to each post, to reduce the noise in the thread, but I do appreciate all of them.

bryan: so, the six-speed transmission does get you a noticeably better MPG? Do you feel the difference between the 4- or 6-speed ones when you drive? (I know that "six" is the only option now, just am curious.)

And I am now torn between the 4- and 6-cylinder engines :)

Thanks again!..
    Hi Malexbu:

As I have said earlier, ----- I have two vehicles that I use mostly for long "over the road trips." ------ (A 2007 V6 XLE Camry & a 2010 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu)

The Camry gives me excellent mileage with "off brand 87 octane gasoline" at speeds of 60mph. (I have had this vehicle up to 34mpg based on the "on-board computer read out!" --- I do not use cruise control!)

The Malibu also gets good mileage on the same fuel. I have gotten 33mpg at 60mph.

The V6 engine in the Camry will "pin your body to the back of the seat" when you put the trans into passing gear on the highway, ---- and coming out of the toll booth, I could probably stay with the average GT Mustang. It reminds me of the operating characteristics of the 1956 98 Olds of past generations! It is simply very powerful!

The 4 cylinder Malibu does not have anywhere near the power of the Camry, but the engine is very smooth and adequate for highway driving.

I like the 4 cylinder Malibu, and I would assume that the new 2.5 four cylinder that will be great in the new 2013 Malibu.

I would like to see GM offer a two door version of the Malibu with a 6 speed stick and a heavy duty clutch, & dual exhausts! It would look great in a deep Cherry paint or a deep bottle Green!

Once GM re-programmed the computer in the Malibu it went from a maximum of 27mpg to 33mpg and its performance increased.

The original equipment Goodyear tires were garbage. They could not hold air between my 2,500 service intervals. I immediately replaced them with Michelin tires. The car drives totally different. It is great in the snow. It is like a tank! ---- If I purchase a Malibu, the dealer will have to work with me in terms of replacing the Goodyear tires with Michelin tires. (If I cannot do this, there will be no deal!) ---- The 2012 Camry comes with Michelin tires!

I have two great dealers, ------ so service is not an issue with regards to a purchase.

Vehicle Price and the trade in value of the 2007 Camry will be a factor, but if the figures are close a decisions will have to me made!

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    i really like the 3.6 v6 not quite the mileage but close and alot more power and easier on the engine but it really doesnt matter because thanks to government regulations malibu no longer comes with a v6...
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    bryan: so, the six-speed transmission does get you a noticeably better MPG? Do you feel the difference between the 4- or 6-speed ones when you drive? (I know that "six" is the only option now, just am curious.)

Yes, mileage with the 6-speed is clearly better. I drive the same route each week DC to Delaware coast and fill up at same station each return trip. I reset the Trip B odometer each time I gas up. The '08 usually has used almost an extra gallon compared to the '10, with same miles travelled.

It took getting used to the 6 speed in this car; the 6 speed in the '08 CTS I had with the 3.6L was to me the perfect combo; never noticed the car shifting or downshifting--it seemed seamless to me. However, I did notice the shifts in the 6 speed Malibu before I had the reflash done like the other poster above. I do notice the shifts in the '08 4 speed, but they seem a little different, but hard to describe how. The 4 cylinder engine has enough power for me; I can pass with no problem on 2-lane highway when I need to.

You asked in your original post if I would buy the car again--I did! I liked the '08 so much I purchased the '10. It's interesting how they are very similar yet also somewhat different. Each is a 2LT. Same cashmere interiors. The '08 is dark blue metallic and the '10 is mocha steel metallic.

The '08 is a tad quieter--no sunroof; the '10 has one. The daytime dash lighting is better in the '10. The '08 door cupholder area is nicer than the '10. The outside mirror and power door lock buttons are in different positions. Either set up works fine for me. The fit seems "closer?" on the '08 than the '10, especially the gap where the driver's door wood trim meets the dash wood trim.

Hope this helps. I like the cars and it's nice to see others are enjoying their Malibus too.
  • overtheedgeovertheedge Member Posts: 9
    Just a heads up on the 2012 and 2013 Malibu's. Both received some additional upgrades to the 6SPD transmission, with the 4CYL, that improve shift feel and FE. For the person who has the 2010, I highly encourage you to try the 2012+ models for comparison. I don't think GM changed the FE sticker on the 2012, but you should notice improvements in real world driving.
    Thank you again, bryan and everybody who shared your experience with the Malibus of this generation.

So, I just traded in my Malibu 2005 (oh, how I miss that great car already!...) and got the 2012 LS, which I am beginning to like now. A big difference...

I'll share my experience with the new car later, on a proper board; let me fill it up at least once...
    I don't know the mechanism for creating and hosting new forums here, but whoever has this power and knowledge: I would suggest to create several new boards per the Malibu generation.

E.g. "Malibu 8-th generation", "... 7-th...", "... 6-th..." , "... 5-th ...". These cars are so dramatically different that to lump them up under "Chevrolet Malibu" doesn't make much sense to me. I already feel a bit guilty talking about the 7-th generation on the board for the 8-th (2013+).

Can we have this done?
    Congratulations malexbu on the purchase of your 2012 Malibu LS. We also own an LS but had the dealer put in Katzkin cocao/cashmere leather which matched the interior perfectly. The result? better leather than even a Lexus.

Enjoy the ride.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    That would require a great deal of effort, moving posts, etc, and would at this point create more confusion than it resolves. Plus, most people don't understand the difference between generations. We do have a number of model-year specific discussions for the Malibu, just not the 2012.

If you would like to start a specific discussion for the 2012, just go to the main Malibu forums page here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef254d5/

There's an "add a discussion" link above the top discussion on the list. You're more than welcome to start that one, but please don't create a bunch of new ones for previous model years. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

...Waiting patiently to test drive the 2013 Malibu. :shades: Does anyone know when it will hit the showroom and expected MSRP? Nowadays, upon launch, GM has been using the strategy of offering a limited number of cars to create an artificial shortage and to retain high prices. This might have worked in the past but with so many cheaper alternatives out there I think they should use a penetration rather than a price skimming strategy.
    Hi All:
    I have narrowed my new vehicle choices down to either a 2012 XLE Camry (4 or V6) or the 2013 Malibu 2.5 or 2.0 Turbo. ------ The 2.5 and the 2.0 Malibu will be available during the Summer and Fall of 2012. ----- The present 2013 Malibu is a type of Hybrid, and it DOES NOT come with a spare tire. I contacted Chevrolet, and I inquired if the 2.5 and the 2.0 Malibu will have a spare tire. They informed me that at this point in time, they had no specifications for these vehicles. If the 2.5 and the 2.0 Malibu does not offer a spare tire, and if there is no designated space for a space saver spare in the vehicle, this fact will be a "deal breaker" for me! My vehicle is used for business, and I cannot be on the road without a spare tire. My time is money. I do not want to call a 1-800 number and wait on the side of the road for service. I want to be able to drive to the next town with a tire store, and get the problem corrected in a timely / professional manner! ---- There is a very strong possibility that I will be trading my 2007 XLE V6 Camry for a 2012 XLE Camry because I can have a spare tire! ---- If there is a GM representative on this board I would be very interested in hearing from you on this subject! --------- Best regards to all! ------------------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):(
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I took a '13 Malibu for a reasonably long test drive recently and found it to be a mixed bag. I liked the new exterior proportions and the new interior is top notch for its class. There was a good ride/handling balance and the steering, although totally numb, tracked straight and true. On the other side, there was a lot of wind noise around the A pillar and outside rear view mirror. I also found a lot of racket coming through the suspension on rough roads and there wasn't much in the way of power. The eAssist didn't do much assisting. Since I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait to see the new Fusion/Altima/Accord and perhaps by then the 2.5/2.0 Turbo will be out and GM will find a way to eliminate the wind noise.
  • 12jjd12jjd Member Posts: 2
    Dwayne, like the Cruze, the Eco is equipped for maximum fuel efficiency with aerodynamic improvements, lightweight alloy wheels, low-rolling-resistance tires, a smaller fuel tank and a few minor feature deletions like the spare tire to further reduce weight. I'm sure the LT models will have a spare tire just like their competition.
    Hi 12jjd:

I would hope that you are correct, -- as I am interested in the new Malibu! ------- Best regards! --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: :)
    Hi 12jjd:

I also looked at the Buick Verano as a possible vehicle to replace my 2007 Camry. ---- I was expecting an up-scale Chevrolet Malibu, or at least a vehicle on the level, (in terms of quality), as the Buick Regal. ----- I was VERY disappointed. When I entered the Buick Dealership I asked to look at the top of the line Buick Verano with all the opinions including leather interior. Here is what I discovered.

1.) The quality of the leather was cheap! My 2010 LTZ Chevrolet Malibu had a better interior.

2.) The was no power seat on the passenger side of the vehicle, and there was NO option for this seat. ---- My LTZ Malibu has power seats on both sides. I contacted Buick about this issue, and I was told that as the Verano progresses more options will be added to the line. I told the Customer Service Representative that I guess Buick does not want to sell the current production run of the Verano. HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ----- This is a Buick, and the "top of the line Verano," and you DO NOT THINK that a power seat on the passenger side is important???????? What are you "thinking?" ---- Is there any "thinking" going on in Buick?

The American manufacturers constantly "shoot themselves in the foot!"

I also looked at the New V6 Impala. This vehicle has a 3.6 V6 engine. This is not a NEW engine to the GM line. It has been used in other GM vehicles. I did a little research on this engine, and it seems that is suffers from "EARLY TIMING CHAIN FAILURE!" When I contacted GM about this issue, I was told that not all 3.6 V6 engines suffer from this problem. QUESTION: ---- How do I know as a consumer "IF" I have the vehicle that does not have the problem?????? ----

As a consumer, what do you purchase?

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :confuse: :shades: