Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Terrain, should I wait or get 2011.

mseramsera Member Posts: 25
Looking for a new Terrain, I received the following update from GMC chat online about the differences between 2011 and 2012.
http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/terrain/2012.html

Seems like the only difference is the camera view in the dash and the E-85 engine which doesnt mean anything in the NE. Of course the elimination of the color I want( cyber grey) ha ha. The link above talks about content and of course would not mention any part of manufacturing changes that might occur in the 2012.

ShouldI wait for a 2012 and hope there are behind the scene improvements or just get a 2011. Whats your thoughts.
Tagged:

Comments

• jasonweaverjasonweaver Member Posts: 1
    I would wait for the 2012 upgraded audio system with smartphone integration. That's the only thing I consistently think is lacking in my 2011.
  • elvis88elvis88 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to order a new 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD. Does anyone know if IntelliLink is available for 2012 Terrain right now? GMC News site says the following:

"For late 2012 model year introduction, GMC will make IntelliLink available to Terrain buyers." - does that mean it won't be available until later this year or sometime next year? Thanks!
  • mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    Test drove the 4 and the 6 cylinder and I was disappointed with the engine noise on both. Love the looks the ride and interior. Darn winey engines....
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I was so hoping that GM would offer dual-zone climate control on the 2012 Terrain and Equinox but no such luck. For me, its absence is a deal breaker. It's inexcusable that at this price point it's not even available as an option. Heck, even the Hyundai Tucson is available with it! Too bad, as it's the one thing standing in my way of buying a Terrain.
    So far very impressed with the quietness, especially the 4 cyl on the highyway. Only 2100 RPm at 70MPH. My subaru is at 2900rpm at 70MPH. It pretty slow off the line but Its ok since gas isnt getting cheaper ever and I am willing to take the trade off.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    elvis88,
    As of right now that is the only information I have as well. This line just simply states that IntelliLink will be available on the 2012 Terrain; however, it will not be available at the beginning of production (which was mid July). I am unsure specifically when this will be available. I would definitely recommend speaking with your dealer. I apologize I don't have a more specific answer with a specific date.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Another update on the 2011 SLT with Sunroof . It is visible thru the dark portion of the windshield , the headliner has a very poor fit on the front where it mets the windshield.
    I need to inspect another Terrain with sunroof to see if it is widespread or not......
  • elvis88elvis88 Member Posts: 2
    @Christina /GM Customer Service,

Thanks for the reply! I spoke with 2 locak dealerships in the area (CT) - neither has more specific answers on timing of IntelliLink.
    elvis88,
    I would recommend just asking a dealer or sales staff to keep you updated as to when it will be available. I would also recommend checking with the web site for updates as well.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mtpopa1948mtpopa1948 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2012 Terrain FWD SLE2. Have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent. Terrain is a nicer vehicle. Quieter than the Torrent, with about the same interior room. A little better performance and some nice new features. Seat backs heated, back-up camera, heated outside mirrors. Didn't get the leather interior, but it was always hot on the Torrent, no matter what you did. Dual exhaust on the V-6 is a nice touch also as is the little bits of chrome the torrent doesn't have that dresses it up a bit. My advice is to buy the 2012 Terrain.
    Well, I ended up buying a FWD slt1 2011. I looked at the features for 2012 like collision avoidance and the new touch screen. The collision avoidance is only avail on the slt2 v-6 awd and the touchscreen smartphone integration was avail in late 2012. Since i dont have smartphones i didnt care about that. I also found a late model 2011 made in 05/11 and felt comfortable with it. So far 500 miles and impressed with the quietness and the transmission. I am also happy with the 4 cyl and was unsure about a 3800 lb vehicle with a 182 HP. While it is not fast off the line under normal acceleration it works quite well. Noticed my headliner does not meet the windshield and actually visably sags from the outside view. The ride is good but am considering dropping the tire pressure below 35 to get a less tire slap and improved ride on the 18". Anyone experiment with lower tire pressure.
  • chet11chet11 Member Posts: 3
    It probably doesn't matter...but if you get the 4 cyl like I did...you will average 22 MPG! Don't want you thinking you are buying a fuel economy car! :confuse:
  • jlamb24jlamb24 Member Posts: 2
    Chose the '12 over the '11 about a month ago. I really wanted the backup camera for safety. Terrain has the same loud "tapping noise" that so many have complained about - it DID NOT do it on the test drive, or at pick up. It became noticable at about 1000 miles. In addition, my V6 AWD is getting only between 18 and 19 MPG!!!! My Avalanche 8-cyl was getting 16 when traded! While I like the vehicle, the MPG has been a complete disappointment, and the tapping noise only adds to the buyers remorse. Going to dealer for service soon, and I anticipate the same song and dance that others have got regarding these big problems with the vehicle.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Don't think I've heard anything about a tapping noise with the 6, unless its the normal high pressure fuel pump noise.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    When are you going in for service on your new Terrain? We would like to know how it goes; if we can do anything to assist, please send us an email with a bit more information, including the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Thanks, and have a great holiday weekend,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • infobookworminfobookworm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Terrain and LOVE my car. Except a couple of months ago the engine started knocking, check engine light came on and on the way to the dealership the car completely died. It restarted and I dropped it off. First I was told computer cards needed to be replaced, but later in the day was told it only needed an oil change and tire rotation. The car has not driven the same since. I dropped it Wednesday night for an oil change and transmission check, as my son and husband agree the car does not drive properly. Sometimes it hesitates, sometimes it seems sluggish and drops (flares?) into gear. Nothing consistent, just not right. Once again service can't replicate the problem, but tell me they have experienced this on a number of 2010's and have no solution. What kind of answer is that? I am told they will call GM on Monday to see if they can get approval for a fix, and identify a fix (they don't know if it is a software issue or a valve etc., etc.). Seriously? I wanted to support a US company that seemed to have a quality product, but at this rate, I will trade in before the warranty expires and I am stuck with a lemon. Sad, because I love everything else about this car. Has anyone else experienced this problem??? :confuse:
    I live in the NE, and with mixed terrain (highway, back roads, hills, lots of hills) driving, get 24.5 mph consistently. The first few months I was able to get 24.9 mph, but have not been able to get there again...
    Thank you for your patience as we work to diagnose the concern you have with your vehicle. Your dealership may be calling our Technical Assistance Center, and so are making full use of the resources available to them. We would be happy to follow up with your dealership for you to learn what's going on. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds user name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rickieboyrickieboy Member Posts: 1
    I have 2011 gmc terrain awd 4cyl. I have complained about engine rattle at start-up and hway mpg (20mpg) to gm customer service so much, they finally told me don't bother them about it any more. also 10 times to 2 diff. dealers with no resolution My advise-stay away from this vehicle.
    Good morning,
    I see that you have already worked with us - what is your case number? I would like to check into it to make sure that everything was handled appropriately.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sundohiosundohio Member Posts: 4
    I have a similar problem. Were they ever able to fix it? Thanks
  • cheryl05cheryl05 Member Posts: 19
    we are thinking about buying a 2011 gmc terrain sle-2 ...it has 34,114 miles...2.4l 4 cyl., automatic 6 speed and is red. they want 23,992.00 for this suv, is this a good mechanically sound vehicle and is the price a good one? please help
  • waxhappywaxhappy Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 11 SLT 6 cyl terrain. There is a knocking in the engine compartment by the driver cabin. Dealer said they think something is wrong with the a/c compressor and GM is aware but doesnt have a fix for it. It is loud and annoying. Sounds like a helicopter.
    Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this knocking noise with your Terrain. If you had wanted for us to open a case (even just to document this concern), please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lrm1956lrm1956 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned and traded a 2012 Terrain. I've read the forums across the interwebz...GMC plants are out there placing wonderful things on forums about how great this vehicle is,, and we have the GMC "customer service reps" out there responding to consumer complaints, as above. If I could simply say these things below and convince one person or family to not buy a Terrain I would simply say this: I never reported my problems to GM - therefore, when I traded, there were no reports on the vehicle's actual performance or problems we experienced, and therefore, received a higher than usual trade-in allowance.

I bought a 2012 SLE 2 Terrain w/ V4 engine: it knocked from the rear (probably the fuel pump), it sputtered in gear when sitting still "P" or idling in "D" drive, it lunged forward while idling; it has tremendous blind spots (even w/ back up camera, w/ zero distance indicators, no beeps, sirens or horns & zero way of distinguishing distance-to-object in camera) caused me to hit a mailbox - cost me $189 to replace the driver's side brake light assembly in lift gate) + $30 for actual labor to replace - the passenger's side windshield is so warped, that it causes any other vehicle next to you, on your right side, in other lane,, to actually "look" like they are coming in to you to "hit" you!!!! It will frighten you.

There are so many forums and sites that chat it up about the Terrains...yes they look great, have red stiched interiors, look great in and out, however; their drive train, computer programming, piss-poor components, lack of visibility, and never, never does it get the sticker's MPG - never! I've gotten at BEST 23.8 MPG, w/ or w/o the "ECO" on or off - this vehicle is over priced - will never reach EPA MPG estimates - has diagnostic issues - $*&$ it, I've gotten rid of mine and I'm very happy that I got $21,500.00 for a trade on a Terrain that I bought new - in Nov 2011 for $24,575.00 - thank God they gave us a good trade...I was happy to give the Chevy Dealership the difference!! and GET THIS --> within one day, someone wanted to buy our truck! LOL Good riddance, Terrain...
  • lemonbill1lemonbill1 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2011 terrain , at 37000. miles the catalytic converter went out, the head liner fell down , the motor rattles like a diesel motor, the front end sounds like its going to fall apart, dealer says that the motor in those types of cars are suppose to make that rattle , but now after working on it for six weeks they dont know how to fix it so the tell me the gmc rep. said not to do any more work on it because i didnt use there brand of semi centhic oil that is RECOMMENDED in the manual , i will never buy a gm product again , they dont stand behind the crap that they sell , once it is sold the need to put on the new cars AS IS NO WARRANTY
    Good morning lemonbill1,

We're sorry to read about the situation with your Terrain. Do you have a Service Request number (71-**********) that we could check into? Please send that, or the last 8 digits of your VIN, to us at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lemonbilllemonbill Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    2011 terrain service #7130070 , ( B6210209 ) socialmedia? i almost forgot it burns oil , a quart between changes, just got my terrain back today after the dealer had it for a week , now i have a head liner that is worst then it was before i took it to them but they said the liner will shrink to fit over time , i got to laugh i have no choice
    Good morning lemonbill,

When I pulled up your VIN, I saw that you do not have a Service Request open on this at this time. If you would like for us to look into the situation further, please email us the following information so we can get one set up for you: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, current mileage, and the name of your dealership. Again, our email address is socialmedia@gm.com

edited August 2012
    iam not able to find socialmedia@gm.com could you help me with this . they tell me my warranty is void for not using (dexos) brand oil but this also falls under the magnusson - moss warranty act that gmc owners should know about
    Good morning lemonbill,

If you wanted to try my email at sarah_grace@gmexpert.com, I can forward it to Christina.

• nlh2osnlh2os Member Posts: 3
    I am within inches of leasing a 2013 Terrain and am hesitating after reading the posts on this forum. How was the knocking noise resolved?
    Whats to worry about when its a lease. Anyhow to answer your question.
    My cold start knock noise was solved with a recall and replacement of the Camshaft position sensor at 7 K mikes. It is now 13K and no reoccurrance.
    ANy specifics questions about the car let me know :)
  • nlh2osnlh2os Member Posts: 3
    Glad to hear your problem was resolved. Thank you for answering. :)
  • sjyunsjyun Member Posts: 1
    Any update on your issue?

I just started getting this issue. I'm close to 36k miles with my 2011 slt.

My fiance was driving the car a few weeks ago and the car stalled and the engine light came on. I took it to a GMC and they said "it's a dirty throttle body" and charged me $200 bucks to clean it. Car had no issues again till the same issue came up AGAIN. I'm just aching to hear what the issue is now.

I've been searching forums everywhere and it seems like most 2011 terrains are (conveniently?) stalling at around 35k+ miles. And each separate dealership is listing different reasons as the cause....maybe GMC might need to look at the design again and do a recall BEFORE we need to go back and forth for the same issue.
    siyun,

We're sorry to hear that the problem has resurfaced for you. If you wanted for us to check into anything further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief summary of the situation) .

My 2011 terrain is still knocking and banging , I was told by the service rep that's normal and it uses a quart of oil between oil changes and he said that's normal its in the manual , head liner fell , well that's the glue the factory , so I have a new car that knocks rattles uses oil and a mess up head limber that the dealer won't fix any problems or just don't know how to fix , ill never buy GMC again