Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

America's fastest roads

andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
I came across an article the supposedly identifies the five fastest roads in America. While I don't necessarily agree with some of their choices I've driven around the country enough to know that some roads are definitely a lot faster than others.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/23/in-a-hurry-try-one-of-americas-5-fastest-road- s/

What are your choices for the fastest roads?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Some roads that you think should be fast aren't in reality. I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson is posted at 75 from Casa Grande south but there's so much truck and RV traffic that you'd be hard put to maintain that speed.

The article talks about Arizona SR.79 from Oracle to Florence Junction which is a two-lane with little traffic and light policing that's just as fast as I-10 even if it's not quite as fast as they'd lead you to believe it is. It's to narrow to go more than 75 except for short bursts IMO and people seldom do.

I-93 from Boston to New Hampshire is a major commuter route.
    It's not all that fast during rush ours but at other times it can be quite fast. I've discovered that no matter how fast you're going somebody will pass you. If you loaf in the fast lane you'll have someone on your tail in less than two minutes wanting to get by. I-93 is my candidate for fastest road in the east which is amazing considering it goes through suburbanB oston and the cities of Manchester and Concord NH. Policing is light generally although you will occasionally see multiple cars pulled over.

The stretch of I-95 in New Jersey that they cite can be pretty fast but it doesn't hold a candle to 93 in fact it isn't as fast as anywhere on 95 South of Richmond when the limit bumps up to 75.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    The state of Kansas just upped the speed on I-70 to 75 MPH in the (boring) less-populated areas - all the way from Topeka to the Colorado state line. It's been increased on other highways too, but that's the longest and most significant stretch. I've never seen any reason why one couldn't normally achieve that speed... or higher.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    is ten miles away from a ferry that departs in eight minutes. ;)
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I went 3 years, not a lot of milage, in my yellow Corvette at 7 to 9 mph over, with several police ignoring me. Then on Okla toll road posted at 75 I got a warning for 83/84. Soon after, wife got a warning in middle of nowhere Colorado for about 7 over a 65 posting. I think both of these troopers were just bored and wanted to talk to a yellow Corvette driver. The guy in Colorado looked about 17 years old.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I-93 from Boston to New Hampshire is a major commuter route.
    It's not all that fast during rush ours but at other times it can be quite fast. I've discovered that no matter how fast you're going somebody will pass you. If you loaf in the fast lane you'll have someone on your tail in less than two minutes wanting to get by. I-93 is my candidate for fastest road in the east which is amazing considering it goes through suburbanB oston and the cities of Manchester and Concord NH. Policing is light generally although you will occasionally see multiple cars pulled over.

I commute everyday on 93 and will agree that during commute hours, it's slow but during off peak hours, it flows along at 75 or so. If one isn't being a jerk, one won't be bothered. Now that 93 is being widened from 2-3/4 lanes all the way from Salem to Manchester, NH, it'll be interesting to see how fast it'll move.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    is ten miles away from a ferry that departs in eight minutes.

I've been on that one! :surprise:
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    ...somewhere that says that Texas now has the ability to classify their roads with a speed limit up to 85 MPH. I'm sure that would include I-10 and I-20 in West Texas.

All of my long distance driving is done in the West .. live in Colorado and have family in California (I-70 and I-15), plus we like to vacation in Arizona (I-25 and I-40). Most of those roads are limited to 75 MPH; we'll usually do 77-79 for the most part - figuring that most cops won't stop anyone that is within 5 MPH of the limit.

Have been passed repeatedly by folks doing 85-90. I'll let them ferret out the cops hiding in the median and behind bridge abutments while I cruise along make decent (but not spectacular) time.
  • Options
    most cops won't stop anyone that is within 5 MPH of the limit.

I've found they won't stop you if you're with 9 of the limit unless it's a school zone or something.

• Options
    Yeah, I adhere to that 9 over the limit and it seems to work fine.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Well I should say that if there is a lot of traffic moving along at over 75 on a road posted at 65 I'll join right in...at a respectful distance...conditions permitting. Using heedless speeders as "rabbits" to get the attention of The Law works pretty well which is why certain roads are fast regardless of the posted limits. :shades:

• Options
    Oh, absolutely. There are long sections on the Garden State Parkway with a 55 limit and I'd defy you to try and do that - or even 65. The de facto limit on these parts (and most of the 65 limit parts) is a bit north of 75.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2011
    Did a lot of the Mass and NY Turnpike today (I-90). Didn't get pushed if I did 70 and tended to stick around 71 or 72 with a few miles where I did 75. People were pretty careful not to go too fast through the 55 mph areas where construction or bridge work was going on.

Lots of people were faster than me, but not by much, except for one guy who likely was doing a bit over 80. The NY cops tagged him within three miles of his passing me.
  • Options
    Last time I was on the NY TPK was this spring. I was surprised at how quickly it moved with plenty of people cruising near 80. I hadn't been on it for some years but it seemed lightly policed compared to years ago.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I saw a lot more there than in Massachusetts. Maybe they were still on Labor Day duty for Tuesday? For a break, we took off for the northern route for a couple of hours. Must have been the slowest road in the US that day (plus there were a few detours caused by Irene flooding). Usually I'm not excited about getting back to a freeway, but the turnpike was a bit of a relief.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    The 75 MPH areas were pretty saturated with state troopers when I drove across Kansas a couple of weeks ago. No visible enforcement on the 70 MPH sections, go figure...
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited September 2011
    I saw a lot more there than in Massachusetts. Maybe they were still on Labor Day duty for Tuesday?

The state police on the Mass Pike aren't overly aggressive or visible - stay within about 10 over and you are OK.

But yesterday there was an officer shot multiple times during a robbery in Woburn, MA - about 15 miles north of the Pike in the eastern part of the state. About 350 officers were on the investigation.
  • Options
    On the New York Thruway watch out in Fishkill, NY. They drop the limit to 55 and use that stretch as a revenue enhancer. They caught my brother that way.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Speed enforcement based on money? Say it aint so! :shades:

I know what isn't a fast road - 405 in WA state. A terror yesterday as almost always, never seen a 60mph highway where the lemmings will gladly putt along at 45 with light traffic and nobody in front of them, also nice slowdowns for no apparent reason, trucks without lane discipline, and some expasion joints that feel like foot deep holes. I need to remember to keep off that stretch between 6am-8pm.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited September 2011
    on I-405 never forget the slow fade in in front of you in the slow lane or the "quick-dart" folks that come out of nowhere and haven't properly planned their freeway departure, dart in front of you, then proceed to poke along like donuts and mini-pies and Dr.Pepper to be downed. Yikes, I've gained a lifetime of the "quick-darters" from my western Washington driving days. :mad:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    That is a fun part of 405, especially in Renton - people who veer over from the left lane to exit, cutting in front of everyone like they weren't there. I see it pretty much every time I torture myself with that road during daytime hours. Or those who get into the right lane for the upcoming 167 exit about 3 miles ahead of time, and then go 40, creating a backup.

But on to the fast roads topic, 90 and 82 east of the mountains are probably the fastest roads in the state, especially 82 past Yakima when the revenue enforcers become sparse.