Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    WOW! You must have a great dealer. I complained to the dealer I bought the car from and begged them to do something. They said they couldn't do anything about it. Went to my dealer that I have all my service done at and they said they couldn't do anything about it, also. I even ask them who did their after market leather on their cars and they said they wouldn't be able to fix the seats either. I can stand it around town, it's just when I drive on a long trip.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I just got my 05 Avalon back from the body shop. Looks brand new. I am wondering if anyone out there that has an older model car had the 3m film put on the bumper and hood. I am wondering how it holds up as it ages. Any discoloration? Does it peel off? Does the color of the car look different than it does under them film since that paint doesn't get polished? I would like to have it put on my bumper since toyota paint quality is so bad. My old bumper looked awful with all the rock chips and I don't drive on the highway except about 3 times a year and I am very careful not to follow behind trucks, etc. The body shop guy said I would have to wait 90 days. By that time, it will probably already have chips, but if not, I'd like to have it put on just the bumper. The hood and mirrors have too many chips.
  • potat0epotat0e Member Posts: 12
    Great dealer, yes. Why not give them credit right here: Concord Toyota, Concord, CA.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I haven't, but will give it serious consideration on my 2013, at least the door handles if nothing else, but likely the hood as well.

A few places I've found good information on this product.

- http://www.automotivearticles.com/123/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
    - http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Sol- utions/For_the_Consumer/
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_Rd6xur_I

Skip
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Here is a link that may be of interest... Nice car !! But I still don't like the grille...

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/

Fin....
    Sure would be nice to see something new added to this web site:(

Skip
    A bit long in the tooth, but you get some nice info and pic's of a color we've yet to see anything on.

- http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25070759

Skip
    In the interview link I just posted at one point they do show the Blue Avalon É here's hoping.

Skip
    I stopped by my friendly Toyota dealer today and picked up a nice brochure all about the New Avalon. It doesn't have pictures of the many colors or options as such, it's more a piece about the car i.e., how, why when É

Skip
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    I read in this 9/6/12 article that the tire sizes will be less wide on the 2013 Avalon, as that improves gas milage: "Less mass makes Avalon more responsive and engaging near handling limits,” Katarzynski explained. “Also, with less mass, less tire width is needed to reach competitive grip levels. The smaller width helps minimize drag losses to help enhance fuel economy, too.”

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/toyotas-weight-reduction-strategy-makes-2013-aval- on-lighter-more-fuel-efficient

Yet, I think that there will be a 17 inch available like on my 2001 LS 430 EuroSport. Does anyone know what all the available choices for width will be? Thanks.
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, I'll sign up to get Toyota updates. But, I'm hoping some "spy" info will show up on some blog, along with the width sizes available. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if the Avalon has too skinny a width, the car won't handle the way that Toyota says they're going for = Better Handling! But, they may be willing to sacrifice that for improved gas mileage?
    .6" shouldn't be a deal breaker for handling?

Skip
    Well if this proofs to be true, they will succeed in getting folks to move up to the Lexus line, OR
    go to something else all together.

This pricing came form one of the web site discussing the All New Avalon. The way I see it, if the ES went down in price, then so will the Avalon, if not that is going to suck, because it's safe to say that at the $38,000.00 this will be a base model:( I'm sorry, but this just seems way to expensive to me. If they wanted folks to switch. then just don't up-date the Avalon.

I'm going to say, these folks are flat out wrong, and the price range will be more like $32,500.00 to $37,900.00.

Skip
    Currently they show a Avalon and a Avalon Limited for 2012, but the 2013 shows the Base and an XLE version so far.

So is it going to be:

- Base (XL)
    - XLE (Is this going to be the Limited Version?)
    - Limited?
    - Hybrid
    - Sports Edition?

That's a lot of choices. Not sure if that's the way to go. Sure you'll be able to get closer to what you want, but 5 models?

- $32,500.00
    - $35,000.00
    - $37,900.00
    - $39,500.00
    - $41,900.00

Skip
    The tagline will be introduced into Toyota advertising on Dec. 31, as part of the launch for the redesigned 2013 Avalon full-sized sedan.

At these this is what Toyota Motor Corp said today.

Skip
  • mmcdonalmmcdonal Member Posts: 1
    The Avalon and ES are on a new, larger platform than the Camry, so they definitely out-class the Camry. The Avalon Hybrid will have the new, upgraded Camry Hybrid power train, though (up from 158bhp to 200 this year, I think). The ES will also use that power train.

The price comparison for the Camry Hybrid should be against the I4, I think, not the V6, although I see what you are doing there.

I am hoping to get into a loaded Avalon Hybrid for around $40K this year, as opposed to around $50K for a loaded ES Hybrid. I could get a Camry Hybrid for lots less, but it is also much less car (mid-size versus full-size).
  • biggie1biggie1 Member Posts: 6
    The Avalon has not changed it was always on the 111" wheel base and the ES was on the Camry platform. The 2013 ES is now built on the Avalon Chassis which increase rear seat leg room by 4". The ES was always a dress up Camry and the Avalon in my eye was a dressed down LS. I've own both car and for the money the Avalon is a superior automobile. And if ES pricing is an indicator the Hybrid Avalon will be a $2500 premium over the gas model. With a fully loaded Avalon around $36.5k msrp and a Hybrid $39k. I bet if you wait until spring you'll be able to get the Avalon Hybrid for under $37k. I don't think they will sell many compared to the Lexus or Camry Hybrid's numbers. I almost got the 2013 ES Navigation and roof it was $43.7k msrp last month. I was quoted $41.1k+ttl @ $45k OTD. I decide to wait for the Avalon release to actually see the car in person before I chose. I know the Avalon is the better value but it's just so plain and ugly hoping the new style changes all of that lol.
    and in the best color (that can't be gotten?)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eNo5sOON0&feature=player_detailpage

Skip
    My local dealer said there will be more colors offered then what is shown on the Toyota Web Site, he also said there is some differences in what they are saying about the car?

HP is more then they have said?

Options and models are more then they've said?

Toyota dealers will have at least 1 of each model by the end of October, with delivery to customers 30 days later?

They didn't say when any of this info would be available for customers É that sucks.

Here's hoping he hear right.

Anyone else out there hear from their local dealers and if so, what did they say?

Skip
    oh, he said the car was more powerful then what has been quoted?

300 Ponies and still 30 MPG?

If his time table is right, I'd say we should be seeing some new stuff posted within the next 2 weeks. Here's hoping.

Oh, he did say, he hadn't taken a NEW toyota as a "Demo" in all the years he has been a dealer, but he WOULD have one of these. In a Sable Color with Tan interior (which is one of the ones they showed in Vegas)
    So far I've seen 3 models shown online of the 2013 Avalon

- XLE
    - Limited Edition
    - Hybrid

This is a very nice picture here:

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/org/2012/581/ty2013avalon58149533.jpg

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    Not too bad from that angle. I bet they do not show the front in many ads. It's a face only a mother could love.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I just don't like it. The 05-12 is so much nicer. This version looks smaller, has a terrible front end and just odd proportions (to me).

I will say there are things I like more about the earlier models.

- I like my steering wheel much better then the new one

- I'd love to see them make a "Avalon" badge for the car instead of the "Toyota"

- I DON'T like the fact that the top front looks like the Camry. And this car was suppose to be "All New from the Ground up"? Something tells me, they looked at the Camry and or Toyota front ends over the last few years before designing this one. Maybe these pieces fit from the Camry, helping to keep the costs down?

- I DON'T like the fact that they dropped the reclining Back seats:(

- I hope the paint is a bit tougher. My handle areas look like [non-permissible content removed] because of how easy they scratch when opening the doors. If nothing else, they should make paint protectors for the handles, much like they do for the hood.

I'm sure it's hard to make a car that will appeal to both young and old. A nice old fashion steering wheel works for me, but a MUCH younger person wants something a bit more sportyÉ

I'm not old at all, I just like old style, quality, comfortable cars and so I fall in the "Olde Fart" category:)

Wow, at this point in time, that's all I can see or say, until I see the new one in person, drive it, feel it, look it over.

I will say the overall look is growing on me.

I do like the way the rear looks É a lot.

Now it's just a waiting game to see what it will be like. I'm lead to believe it's 15 days or so before we'll be able to go online and pick out the colors both exterior and interior options.
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    to me.toyota dropped the ball on this one.the front is way too camryish and the back too azeraish.they want to a sportify a classic cruiser car.have had 06,09 and now i have a 2012.this will be my last one.toyota if i wanted a sporty look id get a bmw.looking to buy a LS460 next.lets just hope toyota doesn't f&ck that style up too.
    I did but don't agree anymore, but I will be looking into getting an OLDER LS 460, as I think the new ones suck (compare to anything before 2013).

Skip
    I would agree, that they should have made the front different then the Camry, if in fact they want folks to think of Avalon and not Camry when they look at the Avalon.

In my opinion, the design team, had a late model Camry and Avalon in the room when they were designing it. They claim they did market research and asked folks what they liked, wanted and wanted changed about the new Avalon, and I for one, can't believe that anyone said "Let's make it look like the Camry up front, cuz I think the Camry looks awesome".

They could have done so much better by in fact making it look more like a Jaguar of better yet, something they designed!

Skip
    why would you say the new ls460s suck? dont you think the older 460s technology will be outdated?
    The Grill:)

Seems like Toyota has made the grills on their cars, a source of conversation this year.

The car, is awesome, I have no doubt, it's the damn grill.

Skip
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited September 2012
    The car, is awesome, I have no doubt, it's the damn grill.

I agree. And I see a potential market for entrepreneurs to retrofit these hideous grills in both the Avalon and LS. Otherwise, the size and overall interior and exterior styling of the Avalon is very nice and modern.

But that grill--but then again, since you'll be sitting behind the wheel you will not have to look at it. And pretty soon it will grow on you sort of like an ugly baby.
    Who knows, once you put on the nice Chrome license plate frame, it will take up enough of the grill, so as to make it look fine, and yes, while I'm inside the grill won't bother me to much.

Skip
    I hope this isn't where the front plate is going to go!

- http://www.toyota.com/avalonexperience/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/slide3-816x475- .jpg
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    You must be kidding..... what next?? Maybe if you turn the mounting bracket upside down, then...... Does any state use two front plates, maybe hide some of the ...... really. :)
    Not a bad idea. Top plate is the license plate and bottom plate is É I don't know, but "Two plates are better then one"

Kind of like the old Wrigley's gum commercial "Two stick's, two sticks, two sticks in one"

"2 plates, 2 plates 2 plates covering one ugly grill"

I should kick it too much, it's the ugly grill that will be in my door yard later on this year:)

Skip
    I don't think it looks that bad in this photo.

- http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/8031322350_c17cee4546_z.jpg

Skip
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Sorry, the new Avalon is still UGLY. The whale-shark mouth grill is hideous and does not go wth the car at all.
    yeah.grill is hideous
    Maybe you could sneak over and take some pictures of the Avalon on display for all of us:)

Skip
    according to the Toyota web site. Damn that's a long time to wait.

Skip
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Since the Lexus ES350 is out maybe they are watching the sales on that to decide on a pricing strategy for the Avalon. Given they are built on the same platform they need to price them in such a way that Avalon does not cannibalize Lexus sales which they sell more of.
    A recent web site has the 2013 Avalon base price at $33,185.00?

Skip
    A fully loaded Avalon will most likely be around the same price as a base ES. It's been that way for awhile now.

• douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    According to Edmonds the base ES350 is now $36,995 and my 2011 Avalon Limited w/o Navigation or other options was $36,513 so it looks like the new Avalon is going to see a price reduction too.