Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    Are you getting the ES with the 17" or 18" tires? I believe the 18" tires are an option. Would appreciate your comments on the configuration.

Thanks,

George
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    17.they say ride is smoother.just confused with all the packages.lexus makes it difficult with 7 different packages.avalon was way more simpler to buy
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    For looks and handling, many newer cars are using 18" and larger rims and these almost always give a harsher, rougher ride. Also, the lower profile tires that come on those rims don't last too long.
  • jd21mejd21me Member Posts: 2
    The Lexus E350 has smaller dimensions than the Avalon by two to three inches in all areas, front shoulder room rear shoulder and leg room. It is built on the Camry platform where the Avalon is an entirely different vehicle. The 17 vs 18 inch tires make a big difference although I did not drive a Avalon Premium which has 17's and the bare bones E350 does also. i just feel that Toyota has abandoned the over 60 set for a younger group. Those looking for the old Avalon ride in a 2013 will just have to look elsewhere.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    With all due respect, the ES 350 is now built on the Avalon platform and the interior dimensions, leg,hip,headroom, are virtually identical according to NewCarTestDrive.com
    exactly
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    In all honesty all three are essentially the same car. The Avalon (and now ES) just rides on the stretched version of the platform (2" longer wheelbase).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    With the recent discussion on new car comparisons..... A check on a website with 2013 auto power and other measurements shows that the 2013 Avalon is stunningly similar to the 2013 Honda Accord... The Accord has slightly more HP, more torque and better highway mileage. The Avalon is 4 inches overall longer and has a 2 inch longer wheelbase. The Avy has 1" more rear headroom but all other interior dimensions are almost the same, under 1 inch difference, the Honda has a bit more here, the Avy a bit more there. The Avalon trunk is 3% larger and the total interior volume measurement is within 1%.

No argument that the Avy has more style, better finish, etc., than a 2013 Honda Accord sedan... but if you are buying basic quality transportation, the Honda is 5k less loaded with V6, nav, etc., and is just as dependable. Add in the V6 Camry and... what are they thinking with Avalon?

But I did park next to a '13 recently, the grille is not as bad I had expected from close up and the body style and interior materials are impressive. Now all I need is a test drive! :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Drive them both (which I do), and you'll find, as usual, the Honda is noisier, harsher, and rides much stiffer than the Avalon. Hondas are wonderful, well built cars - but NVH has never been their strongest suit, compared with a Toyota. The Avalon will be smoother, quieter, and nicer to drive.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Having owned both, and a son who owns an Accord, I can tell you, there is a BIG difference between these 2 cars.

While the Honda is a very well built car, it is not even in the same class as the Avalon.

Skip
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    I would have to agree with nvbanker and ncee, the exception being the MDX.

Jake
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I have owned two Avalons, most recently a 2011. Both great cars. I was excited about the 2013 until I saw the front grill(s). Every other side of the car is very nice. I test drove the '13 LTD and I liked the ride, which I found to be just slightly firmer than my '11. I liked the interior too, although the angles of the dash might take a little getting used to. I noticed that the interior seemed a little less spacious than the '11, but I believe that this is mostly an illusion created by the roof line and the aforementioned dash. As I recall, the vital dimensions (leg and head room) are not significantly different from the old model.

Were it not for the front end, I'd be driving the new Avalon right now. Instead, I got a new ES350 for a few more $ per month. I judge its ride to be just slightly firmer than the new Avalon and perhaps a little more agile in cornering. It does feel smaller inside, due to the width of the center console. On the other hand, the Avalon's radio sounded better and was certainly easier to operate than the one in the Lexus (you have to go to a seriously high trim level in order to get the premium radio).

Another reason that I went with the ES is that I believe that the Toyota Mothership knows what it wants that model to be -- entry-level luxury, whereas they are searching for an identity for the Avalon. My concern was that, because the Lexus division already exists as their luxury brand, the only other direction they can go with the Avalon is to make it more sporty. I've already been through that when Nissan took away my Infiniti I30 /I35 in order to concentrate on making the G series into street racers and the M series into God knows what.
    At my age, I enjoy comfort more than sporty.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Interesting you mention the M series Infinity and your impression... We test drove one some time ago, pure luxury. But I have never driven a luxury car that rode as absolutely stiff as the M. We gave up after 5 minutes on a major street, the rough ride was not what we expected. Our Honda at the time was more comfortable over bumps. Premium car, terrible ride.... maybe the latest model is better?
    fin,

I had the exact same experience with the Infiniti M's rough ride, plus I noticed that the gearing was all for acceleration. Even in the top gear, it was turning about 800 rpm higher at 65 mph than similar cars. I can't recall whether it was FWD, RWD, or AWD, but the width of the transmission hump and console made the front seat claustrophobic. That was six years ago (when I switched to Avalons), so I have no idea what the current M is like. I don't see many Ms on the road, but the G series sells very well. Net-net, in terms of total cars sold, it was probably a good move on Nissan's part to ditch the I series, but I felt like they abandoned me.
    ditch the I series

The Maxima moved upmarket and pretty much negated the need for a FWD (Maxima based) Infiniti model. I looked at the I when I got my 03 Avalon. It was a nice car, but the Avalon rode better.

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Nissan took away my Infiniti I30 /I35 in order to concentrate on making the G series into street racers and the M series into God knows what.

Man, you got THAT right!
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    I've not used the sun shade, other than to see it work. I'll have to look through it while driving. Since we don't carry children (ours are grown, but we are just 50) I don't expect to use it much.
    edited February 2013
    My wife now has the 2013 Avalon Ltd. V-6 , and I am driving a 2013 Ltd. Hybrid. The cars ride exactly the same, look the same, except color and badges, just my car will use 35% less fuel, and is not quite as spirited in acceleration. Although the Toyota hybrid powerplant in these cars is quite spirited, indeed.

Coming from a 2012 Camry Hybrid, the Avalon Hybrid seems a true step up in luxury. The ride is so hushed at highway speeds, and under all electric operation, it is almost silent. By the way, just like the Camry, you can drive the Avalon at up to 50 MPH in all electric mode, albeit you have to really be easy on the accelerator. You can monitor your power by the tach like gauge, at which there is a point noted that the engine engages. I think there was something in a publication stating all electric up to 20 MPH, but it is 50.

Overall, I am very impressed with the ride quality, fit, finish, and quality of materials in the Avalons. We have had a 1996 and a 2006 Avalon, and they were fine cars as well, but they were a bit too cushy for our taste. This new design is a hit, and will draw in a younger buyer, sorry for those that want the softer ride, but most vehicles seem to be tightening up the ride and handling charictaristics. Todays Cadillac is nothing like the ones from our past, and the Avalon has taken a more sporty, yet classy and compliant direction.

I've now purchased 4 Toyota Hybrids for business and personal use, and these vehicles have been flawless. One of the Prius' has over 200K on it, and other than the 10K oil changes and tires, it has never needed a nickel in service. Even has the original brakes. Even though I don't keep a car more than a couple years, I like the confidence that what I am driving is fresh, dependable, and very easy to resale. The Avalon should fit our needs well.
    i am getting that seriously high trim level in march.you get the nuluxe seat or cooled leather seat package?
    Is there an on/off switch for the sun shade? Or does it go up and down every time you use the car? I believe I would only want to use it on special occasions. I think of the sun shade as just something else to break. Would appreciate your input.
    there is a on and off button
    I got something called a Luxury Package which includes "perforated leather-trimmed interior, heated & cooled front seats." The option I like the most is the heated steering wheel which I really missed on the Avalon. Only those of us living where it gets cold in the winter can appreciate that happiness is not a warm puppy, but rather a toasty seat and steering wheel. :)
    nice.what color interior you get?
    On long trips, my passengers REALLY like the sun shade. It keeps it cooler in back, and makes it easier to relax and sleep not getting beat on by the sun.

Skip

PS Beware, IF the car is sitting any length of time, and it gets REAL hot - the rear shade should go up automatically, which is a blessing for when you do get in the car.
    Thanks, for the input. We get a lot sun down here so I can see where it will be of use especially in the summer. Glad to know it has an on/off switch. Most of the cars that I have considered have this feature. Skip, thought about you during the snow. Told my wife that I thought you were getting plenty of snow. Hope you are making it OK.

I appreciate your input and others to the forum. Makes for great info.
    Where do you insert the CD on the Limited Audio system. No Limited in my area to go sit in and cannot see the CD slot in the interior pictures. Is it a 1 CD system compared to the 6 CD system on my 2011 Limited.

How does the Limited Audio system compare to 2011 or 2012 Audio systems? My 2011 Limited has 12 speakers and 660 W while the 2013 has 11 speakers and 495 W

Thanks,
  • trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    Hi Douglas,

There is a button (up arrow...same as most cars) to the right of the Nav screen. When you press it, the NAV screen opens up and tilts down allowing access to the discs. The notice on the player says to only insert one disc at a time, so I assume you can put more than one in there, but have not tried it yet. Press the button again, and the NAV screen repositions itself.

You know, with the AM/FM, XM Radio, Bluetooth streaming from your phone, I don't think I will every need any CD's. There are 36 pre-set buttons and you can mix am, fm, and xm all right next to each other.
    Douglas, I forgot to mention the '13 Avalon Limited has the best sound system of any vehicle I've ever been in. I can't comment on the comparison between it and the 2011.
    Thanks trespinosranch, from what I read you can also play music, or books I guess too, from a flash disk. Just copy a few songs or books from your computer onto a flash disk and plug it in. That sounds very cool, even for an old guy like me.

Seriously considering the Limited now instead of the Touring.
    Hi Douglas,

I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. It has the worst ride of any vehicle on the road...test drive it and you will see. I've driven trucks with better rides. I will be getting another car in a year (or sooner)....maybe the new model Acura RLX (that's what I'm thinking of at this point).

Everything else about it is 10 stars, just not the ride.
    Hi Lucky,

I actually notice the distortion through the rear back glass (through rearview mirror) when the sun shade is not in use). Check it out!
    Hi Skip,

A few weeks ago after eating lunch I got in my Avalon and noticed the sun shade was up (which I did not do) and I thought I had a problem. After reading your post of the shade activating automatically, I check the manual and it makes no mention of that. But I will assume you are correct, as mine did exactly that.
    You can raise and lower the sunshade with a switch. You can partially raise it as well, just like a power window.
  • bmahonbmahon Member Posts: 2
    I love the car but my wife is having a hard time with how low the passenger seat sits. That side does not have the power up and down on that side. Is there a way to adjust it?
    In my '13 Avalon Limited I can not partially raise the sun shade. When you press the button the shade goes up. If you press the button when it is going up, it goes back down.

And I can't see myself driving with the shade partially up anyway. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    The seats are gray, everything else is black. Exterior is silver.
  • robnichrobnich Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2013
    I interpret this to mean you should not put more than one CD or DVD in, period. I don't think it is a CD changer and I wouldn't recommend trying to put more than one in.

>> The notice on the player says to only insert one disc at a time, so I assume you can put more than one in there, but have not tried it yet.<<
    You are right Rob. I interpreted it to mean not to try and put two discs in (one on top of the other) at the same time.

But, I just checked and it will only hold one CD.
    After it was pointed out, I do notice a bit of distortion in the rear window glass. Based on other vehicles that have the rear window defrosters build in, I believe this if normal. I only glance from the rear view mirror to check traffic, so I've never really paid any attention to distortion. I believe it is normal in the rear glass.
    CR just released its initial review (full review to come later), and praises the interior of the '13 Avalon Limited as being Lexus like, but describes the ride as choppy & abrupt. I couldn't agree more.
    Be careful of what you say, how often you say it, and to whom:)

Many of the folks who visit this forum, said they have had enough with the FEW folks who think it rides hard, choppy, More Sporty É the few?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/464089-thing-rides-wor- se-than-horse-carriage.html

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/450889-unhappy-buyers-- starting-show-up.html

Skip
    Ride is subjective. I had an early production 09 Genesis sedan V6 and when I bought it I thought I could live with the sporty ride. After I had it a while I realized that IMO it just frankly rode like crap. I certainly wasn't the only one, but quickly got run off of the Genesis forum and people here even thought I "wrong". I got rid of the car for something else, and sucked up my mistake.

I hear people on here say how "floaty" such and such a car is, or how "it's all over the road" and I've driven the same cars and think completely different.

I am surprised at the direction Toyota went with the Avalon. All previous generations rode beautifully and isolated from the outside. I guess that type of ride isn't appealing to the masses any longer.

I test drove an Avalon Limited this weekend and also a Hyundai Azera with Tech Package. I think the Azera rode better than the Avalon but not by much. Seats in Azera were more comfortable. Biggest problem with the Azera is the windshield rake is about 35¼ while the Avalon is about 50¼. Also the Avalon sits more 'chair' like while the Azera has your butt closer to the floor. Finally, the Azera is about $4000 cheaper and equipped about the same.

It's going to be a tough decision on which to buy but may just keep my 2011 Avalon Limited with only 13900 miles.
    I couldn't agree more, which is why I traded my 2013 in on a 2012 Avalon.

Skip
    Please do what I SHOULD have done, which is keep my 2011 Avalon.

I purchased a 2013, and after only 2300 miles on it, I traded it in on a 2012 Avalon, and have never (well not much) looked back.

YES the Tech package on the 2013 was awesome
    YES the wipers were a lot quieter (I drive 35,000 miles a year, and when it rains, I do not like the squeaky wipers of earlier Avalons)

But I did not like:

- the road noise
    - the ride
    - the seats
    - the smaller trunk opening
    - the spare tire
    - the smaller back seat
    - the lack of the reclining back seats (yes I have a lot of passengers on long trips)
    - the smaller front door pockets

You get the picture.

Skip
    we got 25.3" in that storm, 6" in the next, 10.5" in the next and are looking at 12-18" in the next few days.

Damn, I'm going to be ready for a road trip to FL REAL soon at this rate.

Skip
    edited February 2013
    Count your blessing, I and many others feel the 2013 Avalon sound system sucks compared to the 2011, or 2012 Avalons. Ok, maybe it doesn't suck, it's just not as good as the earlier models.

Heck, some others say the Toyota Sound Systems suck compared to other makes of car, so I guess it too, is somewhat subjected.

Skip

2008 - Touring Avalon, Black on Black
    2011 - LTD Avalon - Crimson Mica Red on Almond
    2013 - LTD Avalon - Cypress Green on Almond
    2012 - LTD Avalon Cypress Green on Almond
    I had no issue with the JBL on my 06 Avalon. It was on par with other "premium" systems from other manufacturers.

We are a 2 Avalon couple now. My wife has a '13 Limited V6, and I, a '13 Ltd. Hybrid.
    As a prior owner of a 1996 and a 2005 Avalon Ltd., the reason we got rid of those 2 cars was due to the "old folks" ride being so floaty and mushy handling. (not to mention we sell our cars every 2 +/- years). Don't get me wrong, the Avalon's were great cars, but as we aged a bit, got the kids out, we grew to prefer a car that was a bit more connected to the road, and the driver. The previous Avalon's were not. After a Infinity G35x, Corvette Convertible, Miata, 3- BMW's, and a '12 Camry, the new Avalon was a fresh approach. A large car, plenty of room and comfort, and better ride and handling (For our tastes, that is).

The Ltd. with 18" wheels does ride a bit firmer than my Hybrid with 17" wheels. We found tire pressures at 40 PSI after delivery, and after adjusting to 35, the ride softened some. You do feel more of the road imperfections with this new suspension, but they both still have what we consider a compliant and comfortable ride. A HUGE improvement over prior models. I do prefer my Hybrid with 17" wheels over the better half's Ltd. with 18" wheels. The Hybrid is so quiet, composed, and gets 39 MPG real world fuel economy, if you drive it a bit conservative.

I feel for a couple people who say they purchased a '13, and did not like the ride as much. But cars of today are going to be tighter, less floaty, and handle better. That is what the vast majority of new car buyers are looking for. A few will not like this. Can't please everyone with one model. Maybe that is why there are so many car makers, and models? The new Avalon is not for them. Did you see where the sales of 2012 Avalon's were going? Toyota made the right decision on this new 2013 model, and the sales will double or triple this year.
    keep the 2011