Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    My tail pipe scraps a little going up my driveway and I have hit the front undercarriage on some dips coming out of parking lots and on steep downgrades.

That's interesting....Driving my usual routes where my previous '09 Lexus ES350 and '05 Acura TL would scrape entering and exiting some parking lots, I have yet to experience any scraping with my '13 Avalon Limited...going in and out of those same lots.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Nvbanker,

Not sure why you say miserable....can you elaborate? Neither I nor my wife can hear the engine AT ALL on the hybrid except on extreme acceleration and even then it is not that intrusive....just a little noisier than the V6. Just drove 270 miles at 75-80 up and down hills, etc. and love the quiet of the TAH.

We're you, perchance, being sarcastic?
  • malcolm9malcolm9 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the feedback. Will definitely try for Michelin and check the pressure. Depends on how my wife likes hybrid vs v6. Would like to go hybrid to not pollute as much.

Am coming from an accord hybrid and a fit. Fit is rough but great city car. Have stuffed a two stage snow blower in the back and closed the hatch. Going to keep it for utility car.

Accord has nice quiet ride but understeers on corners. Wind noise after Mr Ohio crashed into it in 2008. Otherwise good.

Thought I would try the Avalon this time. Thanks again.

Malcolm
  • poorthingflintpoorthingflint Member Posts: 61
    Glad we where of some assistance. The Hybrid will have 17' standard profile tires and also about 200lbs extra weight. Still be sure to drive one with Michelins. When I drove a non Hybrid Camry and the drove a Hybrid (same type of tire) the ride was noticeably better. I think you will be surprised how much different the car will feel and how much smoother the car will ride. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck and God bless.
  • lisalisagaillisalisagail Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2013 Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! It glides like a dream. My friends can't hear me pull up in their drive or hear it running most of the time. The seats are very comfy! Came from Lexus Es330 and love this more than my Lexus. I will be getting the Michi tires as well. Hate bridgestone.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No sarcasm. I'm a Toyota fan! Have had 3 Lexus LSes, the Camry Hybrid, a Lexus Es, etc.... But the Camry Hybrid (not Avalon, mind you, and that could be the difference) was indeed, miserable from a noise, harshness, vibration & jerky standpoint. Drove it 60,000 miles, and dumped it. The normal Camry is a joy to drive...... That's my experience. The Avalon may be much better sound insulated.
  • havechavec Member Posts: 45
    Nbanker,

I assume you changed the tires at least once in the 60K that you had it. What tires were you running? CR gave the Camry hybrid a rating of 93 (TAH=86) around the third highest behind some Mercedes and the Telsa which scored 99.

I paid a visit to my local tire dealer. He wasn't enthralled with the Bridgestones. He couldn't understand why Toyota would OEM them if they wanted to sell cars. Then again he wants to sell tires. Around $900 for a set of Michelins MVX4's with rebate. I asked him about going to 60 series tires (0.9 inch greater diameter). He said you could do it but the 60 series tires were not rated as high as the 55 series so you might not stop as fast. Said going to a better 55 series tire would make a big difference.
    I owned a loaded 2009 Camry Hybrid with Michelin's. It was one of the smoothest rides I have owned since my last GS300 Lexus. I removed the GS 300's high speed rated tires and replaced them with the lower speed rate Michelin's(118mph). Same tire used on Cadillac with the North Star. It road smooth as a butter. Not sure what was wrong with Robsis Camry Hybrid but he did not mention what year it was so its hard to know if I am talking about the same car.
    I changed out 2 tires at a time, but honestly, can't remember what I put on it. I do remember, they didn't match. But I know the difference between tire noise and engine noise......

Look, tell me I'm crazy if you want. I don't care. I also think CR is unreliable. I thought the engine was too noisy. Maybe you wouldn't. I'm used to a Lexus LS. Compared with that - The engine was too noisy.
    edited May 2013
    Noise at freeway speeds on the freeway can be measured and is not subjective like ride. I believe at least 2 automobile reviewers measured the TAH decibels on the freeway and said that it was one of the quietest cars they had ever tested. I remember one reviewer saying it was measurably quieter than a Bentley that they tested. That said, I know my TAH isn't going to beat too many cars in noise level going up the steep hill to my house. The little 4 cylinder can be a little raspy when it has to work. My only two complaints about the car is a little too much road feel on certain roads and not enough road clearance front and aft scrapping the pavement at times. Hopefully, a new set of Michelins will take care of the first complaint.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Nv,

Not sure what year Camry Hybrid you owned and I've only looked at, driven and compared the '13 Prius, Prius V, Camry, and Avalon Hybrids. Your comment of "miserable from a noise, harshness, vibration & jerky standpoint" does not fit any of the cars we drove. The '13 Avalon Hybrid was the quietest of the bunch and, in fact, is one of the quietest cars I've ever been in. The transition from Electric to ICE is generally seamless in all of the above-mentioned cars and, in the case of the Avalon, you really have to pay attention to even notice any transition at all. It is there, if you want to notice it, but only if you really pay attention. Sounds like your model year was not as refined as they have become. You should at least go and drive an Avalon Hybrid to see if, to you, there is a huge improvement over what you experienced. I'd be interested in your comparison, if you do so.

Thnx for your comments,

Robert
    No question the Bridgestones are a bad match for the suspension tuning of this car. Michelins are much better but it sounds like this is not the car for you. No question the ride will never be a cushy as the ride of your previous Lexus vehicles. Be sure to roadtest the current ES 350/300h thoroughly before buying as the suspension tuning, according to reviewers is firmer than previous models. The road noise with Bridgestones was universally panned. Before you dump the car at a loss you might give a set of Michelins in a '55 series a try. One owner did so and said it "transformed" the ride smoothness and overall road feel of the car. Sorry this car has been such a disappointment for you. Bummer. Thanks for your input.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Well CR has it right, IF you drive the car on varying types of roads É IMO

I had the 2013 for 3700 miles and while I was hoping / and had my fingers crossed that the noise and comfort would be better with time, that never happened.

I took the hit, and traded for a 2012, and have never looked back. Yes the 2012 has had a few issues, but none with the ride quality. And as for noise, while the 2013 may have been a bit quieter, if it was, it was just a bit, but comfort, and size in the back seat and truck make up for it.

I had driven the 2013 on many long stretches of smooth highways, and yes under those conditions the car was smooth (But damn, shouldn't have been?). BUT as smooth as it was, it was VERY loud (tire noise), and then when I got on bumpy roads, well then it all came to be.

It was much less comfortable then, and that included the seats, which my wife HATED.

Look, on so many levels, the new avalon is a wonderful car. And to think a few changes would have made a world of difference to so many others.

- Make it the same size as the earlier models
    - Make it a Luxury Sedan i.e.
    ¥ Smooth
    ¥ Quiet
    ¥ Reclining Rear Seats
    ¥ Same spacious trunk (opening)
    - Make a "Sports" model, for that other market they are trying to reach. Those folks WOULD have purchased the car, and the others, myself included, could have had their Luxury Sedan (Boat)

This is my 4th Avalon (of more then 36 cars over the years), so I feel like I can say these things with some bases of knowledge. I drive 35,000+ miles a year, and comfort, quiet, tech, luxury for me are important. In my opinion, they shouldn't have messed with the Avalon, they should have brought back the Cecilia for those looking for a Sports car, or again, just simply made a Sports Model for those looking for a sports model.

Toyota says this ISN'T in fact a Premium Luxury Sports Sedan, and that it IS a Premium Luxury Sedan? (with Sports Paddle Shifters, Sports Suspension, Sportier Seats, Low Profile Tires, Sports Mode Option)??? And then there are those Avalons they brought to SEMA?

Just make take on it É great day to unload, sorry

Skip
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2013
    In my opinion, they shouldn't have messed with the Avalon

Toyota may disagree with this assessment as sales of the new Avalon has increased exponentially (see below) over the Generation 3 model. Too bad older folks will have to turn to Buick or Cadillac for the ride that they covet. Frankly I think it is a good thing.

Avalon Sales Data
    2012 Vs 2013
    Month
    January......3,219---4,840
    February....3,497---5,703
    March........3,327---6,982
    April..........2,881---6,321

Source: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-avalon-sales-figures.html
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Sales really had nowhere to go but up. The 2012 was 7 model years old.

NCEE, at one time Toyota did have a Touring version of the Avalon that had a stiffer suspension.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• teresa01teresa01 Member Posts: 14
    Dave,

I just this week bought a 2013 Toyota Avalon Touring model. I wished that I had read your review first!. I too, like everything about the Toyota Touring model. I like the look of the 18" wheels, I wanted the nav/entune, etc....which is not available on the Premium model so I went with the Touring model. I have had the car 5 days and I am very disappointed in the ride of these crappy tires. Two questions: Have you gone ahead and gotten the Michelin tires yet and if so, how do they ride compared to the Bridgestones (question open for anyone that has traded out these tires) and two: Is it possible to switch out to a 17" wheel and tire with a 55 or greater profile on the Touring model should I decide I can't stand the current situation? I am thinking of switching out to the Michelin 18" first and if it still is not satisfactory, going down to the 17" wheels. I am assuming the suspension and the brake size would be standard on all the models and no different from the premium to the touring models.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Should be no problem in changing from 18" wheel and low profile tires to a 17" standard profile tire and wheels as the net OD is virtually the same. Same can be said for the break rotors and basic suspension components. You might want to investigate the possibility of keeping the 18"s and just go to a 55 aspect ratio tire. it would make your speedo a little slow due the the slightly taller tie but we are talking a small error here of maybe a couple MPH average. Naturally it would offer much of the advantages of the 17" wheel and tires with out the expense of wheel replacement not to mention the look factor. You can also go down a couple of pounds on your air pressure (31 psi cold vs 33psi cold) it has been my experience that the tire low pressure warning light tolerates a 5psi drop before activation. That was the case on my 2009 Camry Hybrid.
    Thanks for the reply. I am hoping that I can just "get used to" the bumpy ride in the new suspension and tire size. We'll see. If not, I wanted to know what my options were. I like everything else about the car. I think Toyota blew the interior out of the roof this time around and I like the options I got on the Touring model, otherwise, I would have gone with the less expensive Premium. I really had no idea that the 18 inch low profile tires would cause this much difference between my 2006 Avalon and the new 2013 ride. I just liked the cool look of the tires. LOL still learning at 51. What can I say? haha. I don't mind a little stiffer suspension and I can understand that Toyota is trying to grab a younger demographic...just wished they hadn't gone that far with it or at least offered an option on the wheel and tire size for the different trim levels. So far, love the car, otherwise and will deal with the tire issue. I looked at other cars for several months before buying and I kept coming back to the Avalon. It was just a good value for the money. Thanks again!.
  • robnichrobnich Member Posts: 13
    Before you go to the expense and trouble of changing wheels and/or tires, try dropping the tire pressures from 33 psi to 31 psi, as mentioned by an earlier poster. This does make a significant difference. After you drop the pressure, reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System as outlined in the owners' manual.

Also note that after ranting online about the harsh ride with 18" wheels, Consumer Reports ended up in the print edition this month giving both the V6 (18") and the Hybrid (17") Avalons the same open circle (average) rating in the Ride category. One would have expected at least a half-black circle for the V6 after reading the rant online.
    I've been considering going to 215 60R 17's from the stock 215 55R 17's. An online tire calculator gives:

15/55-17 to 215/60-17 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 26.31 (668.3) 27.16 (689.8) 0.85 (21.5) 3.2%
    Width inches (mm) 8.46 (215) 8.46 (215) 0 (0) 0%
    Circum. inches (mm) 82.66 (2099.53) 85.32 (2167.07) 2.66 (67.54) 3.2%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 4.66 (118.25) 5.08 (129) 0.42 (10.75) 9.1%
    Revolutions per mile (km) 766.53 (476.3) 742.64 (461.45) -23.89 (-14.85) -3.1%

Changing the 18 inch wheels from stock 45's to 55's

225/45-18 to 225/55-18 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 25.97 (659.7) 27.74 (704.7) 1.77 (45) 6.8%
    Width inches (mm) 8.86 (225) 8.86 (225) 0 (0) 0%
    Circum. inches (mm) 81.59 (2072.51) 87.16 (2213.88) 5.57 (141.37) 6.8%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.99 (101.25) 4.87 (123.75) 0.89 (22.5) 22.2%
    Revolutions per mile (km) 776.52 (482.51) 726.93 (451.69) -49.59 (-30.81) -6.4%

The diameter of the stock 17 and 18 inch wheels only differs by:

225/45-18 to 215/55-17 Difference
    Diameter inches (mm) 25.97 (659.7) 26.31 (668.3) 0.34 (8.6) 1.3%
    Width inches (mm) 8.86 (225) 8.46 (215) -0.39 (-10) -4.4%
    Circum. inches (mm) 81.59 (2072.51) 82.66 (2099.53) 1.06 (27.02) 1.3%
    Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.99 (101.25) 4.66 (118.25) 0.67 (17) 16.8%
    Revolutions per mile (km) 776.52 (482.51) 766.53 (476.3) -9.99 (-6.21) -1.3%

I'm guessing that the 18 inch 55 series tires might be a little tight in the wheel wells.

My local tire dealer said not change the AR of the 17's from 55 to 60 only because you couldn't get the same performance rating in the 60 series.

I'm still considering it both for the added cushioning and the added road clearance if I can find a really good handling and riding 215 60 17 tire.

Any suggestions?
    That said, I know my TAH isn't going to beat too many cars in noise level going up the steep hill to my house.

And that's exactly what I'm saying.

Still, with all that said, the Camry is decidedly quieter than any Honda Accord model, especially from Road Noise.
    A lot of us are having second thoughts about CR. Yes, the ride could better especially with 18 wheels but not to the point where you have to trash the car by saying that "most $25k sedans ride better". Something that most people on this forum do not agree with.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Have been an avid reader and supporter of CR for many years.... but they seem to be publishing more subjective opinions than testing facts lately. The mag is one of the better, my opinion, absolutely independent. But my idea of success is putting measureable test results on the page. What is "firm" to one driver may be "normal" to another, be it tires, seats or anything else.

The recent Avalon comments noted here are a good example of this and the confusion is causes. My test ride in a 2013 Limited was quiet. The ride was harder than my '07 but not bad. No idea about tire air pressure. The mag tells us very little except "go drive a hybrid" or whatever and see if you like it. Compare it to whatever else you like and go with the results.. not a lot of help this time around....
    Interesting info on the effect of tire size and aspect ratio,thanks. As far as seat firmness,as long as the seats are properly shaped and supportive is a lot like mattresses. There are many folks who like their mattresses firm and many folks who favor pillow top soft. One mans misery is another's delight. With that said,as we get well along in years our bodies lean towards a softer mattress then when we where younger. Hence,some owners find the seats too firm others love 'em. I also have never heard of a soft seat getting firmer but I sure have heard of and experienced a hard seat getting softer with use. My first BMW would be a good example. I also think your body adjust over time to the seat as well. Food for thought.
  • capaccionecapaccione Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2013 avalon xle ( base ) with michelin tires on 17 inch rims and have no problems. This is my 3rd avalon and the ride is not as smooth as earlier models but these tires are good in rain and dry roads.
    Capaccione,

Thanks for your reply. This is interesting. If you have the base model with the 17" wheel and tires and you find that the ride is not quite as smooth as earlier models, then it must be a combination as others have said of a stiffer suspension and not just the wheel size. I have driven my new car a few more days now and I am getting more used to a bit firmer ride. I think I will replace my bridgestone tires with the Michelin's on my 18" wheels when the time comes, first rather than ditching the 18" wheels and spending the bucks for the 17" right off the bat. From the sounds of it, that won't be too long coming as I put approx. 21,000.00 a year on a car. If anyone else has had any experience with the tires/wheels I would love to hear any other comments on this subject. Thanks.
    Would suggest you also look into also going up to a 55 aspect ratio tire as well. I think it will work and might be the best solution to a ride that may be a little to firm for some. The "Stones" are awful! Could not believe the difference when I got them off a Lexus I owned in ride and NOISE levels.
  • neil1neil1 Member Posts: 20
    You may want to consider checking out the July edition of Motor Trend magazine which tends to agree with CR. Motor Trend rated the Avalon number 3 of 5 in a comrehensive comparison of full sized models - behind the Impala and a Kia Cadenza. Motor Trend says the Avalon crashed and banged over bumps, transmitting lots of harsh noise to the cabin. They wend on to say that the 2013 Avi is extremely efficient and generous in interior room and features, but let down by a bone-shaking ride and an uninspiring drive. OUCH!!
    edited June 2013
    On the other hand, Car and Driver rated the Avalon first in a comparison of six cars in the current (July 2013) issue. The Kia Cadenza was fifth and the Hyundai Azera a distant sixth.

By the way, earlier assessments of the Avalon by Motor Trend were highly positive:

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-motor-trend-car-of-the-year-contender-toyota-aval- - - on-287909.html#axzz2VLgz5W1B

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2013_toyota_avalon_limited_first- - - _test/

Robert N.
    I read the review and noticed the car they tested in this comparison had Bridgestones. I find it interesting they noted how much worse the ride was then their previous tested Avalon and do not seem to notice the different tire their current car had. I also wonder if they bothered to check the tire pressure? I also wonder if consumer report did as well. I doubt that all the other auto manufactures ship their cars with 40psi of air in their tires. I guess new car prep is basically a wash and vacuum service based on what I have experienced at my dealership. Heck, I even asked the salesman to be sure the checked the tire pressure on the first car I drove and when it road ruff I checked them and they had approximately 40psi in them.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I'm a former Avalon owner that purchased a 2013 Azera. I can tell you that my Azera came with 40PSI in the tires when it was delivered to me.

Was told that manufacturers pump up the tires to keep them from getting flat spots during periods of storage. Not sure I believe that with todays tires but that is what I was told.
    As an indication of the accuracy of the Motor Trend comparison article, consider that they stated about the Avalon Limited V6: "We didn't even regret not having manual gear selection" One wonders if they drove the car, as it's hard to miss the big paddles on either side of the steering column.

It definitely does have manual gear selection -- I've done it many times. One would think that the self-styled "World's No. 1 Automotive Authority" wouldn't make such a basic error. I also wonder if they checked tire pressures on the Avalon they drove, as mentioned in another post above.

Robert N.
    My TAH had pretty close to 40 psi when I took possession also. It rides a lot better with 31 psi. You can rest assured that CR had the right tire pressure when they test their cars. They own them and drive them for 3 months before writing up their findings and generally are pretty scientific about how they test their vehicles. I've been reading CR for over 40 years and believe they are the only really truly non-biased testing organization out there. I think it was a mistake on their part to review both V6 and hybrid Avalon Limited models side by side. A better comparison might have been to compare the TAH to the Camry hybrid's ride which was rated as being better. At least CR could have had a sentence saying that the Camry was a better car for a better price if their rating system is valid (93 CH vs 86 TAH). When I asked people here if they had road tested both Camry and Avalon hybrid's before buying a the Avalon and which had the better ride the answer was the Avalon.
  • neil1neil1 Member Posts: 20
    Yep, I read the six car comparison and the number one rating is certainly a feather in the cap for the Avi. But I'm thinking those concerned about the 2013 Avi ride in this forum will get little comfort from the comparison when they read the Avi was ranked next to last in the "ride" category.
    Ride quality is personal just like mattress quality in that one person likes a soft mattress another a firmer mattress. Same with ride quality. I thought my first BMW rode hard and the seats where to firm seeing as how I was coming from a '84 Buick Rev. After I got used to the firmer well shaped seats and the controlled ride as well as the handling that went with it I became a convert and appreciated the benefits. I do realize as we get older the firm well shaped seats and firm controlled ride may not be as desirable but you get my point. Personally the more I drive the car and sit on the seats the better I like it so either my posterior or the car or both are adjusting and or breaking in. I would buy the car again in a heart beat.
    edited June 2013
    I'm wondering how CR can give the Camry hybrid such praise about how good the ride is quote "Bumps are soaked up well with impressive isolation" and then say that the TAH has an inferior ride when both cars are riding on the exact same Bridgestone tires. How different can the suspensions be between the 2 cars be and why would Toyota make a car that had an inferior ride in a more expensive car? I guess I'm going to have to go back and drive a Camry hybrid again.
    Personally I think Toyota deliberately made the Avalon a sharper handling firmer riding automobile to differentiate it from the Camry. They deliberately wanted the Avalon to appeal to a different demographic and a younger clientele. There is a old saying in the automobile industry,"you can sell a old man a young mans car but you can not sell a young man a old mans car". I think that probably sums up the car they wanted the new Avalon to be and I think the mostly nailed it.
    Even if both cars cost the same I doubt that that not very many people would choose the Camry over the Avalon. The fit and finish is better as is the technology package. The adaptive cruise control is worth every dime in freeway traffic.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    There is a old saying in the automobile industry,"you can sell a old man a young mans car but you can not sell a young man a old mans car". I think that probably sums up the car they wanted the new Avalon to be and I think the mostly nailed it.

As a former Avalon owner, I can't argue with your conclusion. There is nothing wrong with the Avalon's ride and handling and Toyota would be unwise to change this dynamic since the car is selling so well. However, the center stack and console have an old man's look and perhaps that's an area where Toyota should do a little tweaking.

For those looking for the traditional Avalon ride and great handling, the new Impala is a worthy alternative. In both Car & Driver and Motor Trend comparison tests the new Impala came in second place.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Don't think your old saying applies to an Avalon. I know of no young men that would be caught dead in an Avalon. They are not interested in an expensive full size 4 door sedan. Maybe if there was a 2 door hardtop version with 22" wheels and a wing on the back you'd drag some into the showroom.
    Perhaps I should have used the term "younger man" and I think when the average age of the people who bought this car is calculated I think that will be the case. I diffenetly agree with you the Avalon or any car like it will not be bought buy truly younger buyers. Be advised I am 73 so younger for me younger has a total different connotation.
    Now that I have my Avalon, I'm resolved just to get used to the new ride and move forward. I love the car otherwise, the handling is very much improved and still to this day, when I look at other cars, I keep going back to loving the one I bought. Next time I need new tires, I will put on Michelins. Question though: what is a very good product that I can use to keep my leather seats looking nice? a cleaner that will clean the seats but won't damage the leather? I want to keep it looking good from the start.
    Thanks.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I use Lexol. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. About $10 each and work well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Avalon was 64 years old with the previous version, now about 55.

Camry was 60, and now down to around 50, and the SE is even lower than that.

I guess the 2014 Corolla (average age 53) will also see a difference with the new, more aggressive style. :blush:
    Teresa - I don't think you responded to my earlier suggestion that you try lowering the tire pressure on your new Avalon to 31 psi -- it really does make a noticeable difference. After you reduce the pressure, reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System as described in the owners' manual.

Robert N.
    Rob,

Thank you for the suggestion. The only thing I worry about is getting the psi too low. I know it won't set off an alarm, just concerned with driving with such low tires. I checked my tires the other day and they are all at 33 psi right now which is where I understand what is recommended I will keep the suggestion in mind and might try that. Thanks again for your help. It is appreciated.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    At the expense of ride quality. The lower rolling resistance at higher pressures is preferable to some owners for better MPG, but there is a trade off.

You will lose fuel economy by dropping pressure, as you increase rolling resistance, but yu won't feel like you are riding on the spokes.

33-34 psi is a balanced approach, or what would be a happy medium. :shades:
    There's really nothing to be concerned about. Many of us have dropped the pressure to 31 psi with noticeable improvement in ride. Any loss of mpg is negligible.

Robert N.
    I've had the tires on my Limited Hybrid at 31 psi going on 3 months now. My overall milage is 34 mpg based on 66 gallons of gas. CR says 36 mpg for mixed driving but I haven't done a lot of freway driving and I live in a hilly part of California.

I wish the Bridgstones would hurry up and wear out so I can get some MXV4s but it looks like that is going to be awhile. Maybe, I could sell them on Craiglist.