Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• havechavec Member Posts: 45
    It's painful to change your tires before your oil but I guess it has to be done.
  • teresa01teresa01 Member Posts: 14
    Oh my gosh.....that is so funny!. Honestly, it's sad but it was still funny. ;-)
    I took a look at the reviews of the EL-400's on Tire rack. If you haven't read those, you all should take a look. I also read the reviews on the Michelin Primacy MXM4's which I would have to go with if I keep my 18 wheels. (Not sure I want to be the first to test a 55 profile tire on those wheels...if someone else chooses to see if they fit, let me know. LOL.) watched the video too.

I will turn 3000 miles on my car tomorrow heading out to work. From the looks of the reviews, I might not have to wait too many months before I have to change them anyway. Doesn't seem they last too long.

Teresa
  • poorthingflintpoorthingflint Member Posts: 61
    I would strongly suggest you check with a couple of reputable tire shops about going to 55' s. I was in the auto service and repair business most of my adult life and I am retired. looking things over it looks like a go to me. In passing my GPS says the speedo on my Car is about 2 mph slow at 70mph indicted. If that's the case the slightly larger cir conference of the 55's will probably make the speedo accurate or just a tad slow. That would extend the warranty a little as well as soften the ride a win win. It will however slow the response of steering inputs a little. Doubt the majority of us would notice it in fact we might prefer it if we did.
  • butchfootebutchfoote Member Posts: 4
    My wife has a Cognac 2000 XLS, 150K+ going on 14 years. She loves it (especially the dash and brown color). Anyway, she knows it's only a "matter of time" before something will require replacement and make her move to a new vehicle. She likes the new TAH.

Both of us think that the grill is gross, but is less noticeable on the cars with darker paint colors.

The grill is too wide, too tall and doesn't blend with elegant hood creases and body lines. In addition, the slit-like opening that joins the driver-side and passenger-side low 'fog' lights over accentuates the grill into a visual pout, making the Avalon look like a fish from the sides.

This grill and the Gawd-awful hour-glass whacky design on the late-model Lexus products, makes you wonder what Toyota is thinking.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    edited July 2013
    It's a trend, check out the Ford Fusion. Same thing. I hope it goes away sooner rather than later.

Oh, and to the other posters ..... EL400s are garbage, plain and simple!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Lexus sales have skyrocketed since they've added the Spindle Grille, and that includes the big dog Lexus LS. :shades:

Don't hate. It doesn't look good on you. :blush:
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    i have a 2012 es and im trading it for a 2010 LS. thats how much nicer the LS is,im trading a 2012 for a 2010 car.if i could of afforded a 2013 LS id have it already
    At my dealer here in Texas 39-40psi seems to be the norm and my dealer seems to be delivering them that way. So much for new car prep. Toyota probably no long pays their dealers for this service so only the best dealers bother and my dealer obviously does not fall in that category.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Count me among those who very much dislike the grills on the current Avalon and Lexus. I had a 2005 Avy LTD, which was a great car. The current Avalon was on top of my list when I started shopping around for a new car. My heart sank when I saw the front of the current Avalon. I planned on cross shopping the ES until I saw that grill.

This stuff is so subjective. It's about what's right for you. I spite of what I just wrote, I think the grill on the Fusion looks very aggressive and adds to the sporty look of the car. Oh well - No accounting for taste!!
    I agree with you the Avalons grill is a little over the top as is the Lexus. However in black it looks much better as the center of the grill is dark grey so the effect is muted. Interestly the same thing applies to the ES350/300 but to a lesser degree as far as my tastes are concerned. I looked at the Fusion and Lincoln MKZ but the black interior is the only choice in the Titanium model of the Fusion and the cramped back seat offered by the MKZ and small hard to see fussy controls overal turned me off. It the case of the Fusion being forced to accept a 4 cylinder turbo charges engine was the last straw. The history of small turbo charged 4 cylinder engines is spotty at best. Personally,having spent most of my adult life in the auto repair business and it would take a lot to change my feelings about this.
    10 points above the Avalon but the Avalon hybrid beats the 4 cylinder versions by quite a bit in mpg and power. Still, Toyota might want to see what they can learn about suspensions from Chevy.
    Interesting. The Impala has been a mixed bag (but mostly good) with other testers but it obviously a good car. I drove it with the V6 and overall still like the Avalon better. Toyota has always been a little weak in the suspension tuning department. You would have thought by now they would have studied how the Germans do it and incorporated that knowledge into their designs. May be a little corporate pride and arrogance at work.Still think in the case of the 18" tired cars a change to a 55" aspect tire inflated to 31psi cold will be a satisfactory solution to ride harshness. I will probably go that route although with 31psi tire pressure and the Michlins I am pretty happy overall. The suspension is difiinately loosing up and getting softer as the miles go by so I may end up sticking with the same tire.
    I'll probably by switching out 17/215/55 93V for the same size Michelin MXV4 in the next 1000 or 2000 miles. I'm going to go with the H rated tires because they are rated higher than the MXV4 V rated in terms of ride, noise and rolling resistance. They 94H tires also weigh 25 pounds a piece while the 93V tires weigh in at 23 lbs. I guess the 2 pounds in extra material makes the difference.
    Based on my experience that sounds like a well thought out and researched plan let us know how it terns out. Don't be afraid to play around with air pressure a little if it works for NASCAR it can work for you. I have done it thru the years with no problems matter of fact, based on what I have seen over inflation seems to cause more problems then small amounts of under inflation say 10% give or take. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    edited July 2013
    I'm already at 31 psi all the way around. The car is fine on 90% of the roads that I drive on a daily basis. It's just a few pieces of road that I find myself thinking that it would be nice if I wasn't so aware of the road surface. Then again, I can thank CR for the hypersensitivity that I've developed to ride quality that I never had before. I bought my TAH for gas mileage over luxury.
  • butchfootebutchfoote Member Posts: 4
    The Ford grill is as ugly as the Avalon, but it's not as strikingly discordant as the Toyota's, because the Avalon grill has another skinny grill above it, presumably so the salesguys can upsell it as a big brother to the Camry (which is also a huge hodgepodge of design elements and totally unintegrated).

Lexus's grill is still the worst overall family design change for no apparent reason I've seen in quite some time in the car industry.
    I could not agree more that the CR review has made many Avy owners and potential buyers hyper sensitive to every road impact when they drive the car. Frankly, if everyone drove their cars in this hyper sensitive/critical mode I think most cars could be fingered for ride harshness from time to time with few exceptions. I agree the Avy handles road conditions superbly over 90% over the time. Being objective sounds like a good overall ride comfort grade to me.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I think the issue here (for me and others), is that the car no longer rides like the models that came before it, and that many of us have gotten use to.

We have come to expect (and with good reason), and comfortable car, after all, it's what Toyota has been providing for 10 years?

Yes, we may all have to get use to cars that are going to drive and ride different.

Not something I for one, I'm crazy about. For those with older, larger, more comfortable cars, it could be good? Your cars may have better resale value once folks realize - it's the only option left for a Big Old Boat of a car.

I for one, long for the days of Buick Roadmasters, Park Avenue É

Skip
    Having owned a couple of 5 series BMW's followed by a couple of GS300's I am probably in a different place then many Avalon owners. I do not care for a "floaty Buick Roadmaster/Olds 98 LS" ride. The thought of it has me thinking of looking for some Dramamine. For me the ride characteristics with Michlins is close to what I prefer. Miles,a change of tire aspect ratio and or tire pressure could easily do it for me. I would also point out when a car is as quiet as the Avalon normal tire impact sounds are more easily heard amplifying the perceived ride harshness especially when you are listing to and for it.
  • seattlejonseattlejon Member Posts: 3
    My last two cars have been a 1994 Infiniti Q45 and a 2002 Q45 (which I bought used in 2007). As you might imagine I never would have considered an Avalon until I learned of the hybrid getting 40mpg, and with greatly improved handling. I was also impressed by the NY Times review

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/automobiles/autoreviews/straying-a-bit-beyond-- its-own-comfort-zone.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I have to say that I found the handling to be good to very good, and the ride to be very good. After all the comments, I was curious to see if bumps/rough roads caused any jarring. I found that not to be the case at all; and the tires were Bridgestones. I was also pleased by the acceleration. This all leads to my fundamental question: Why would anyone buy the all-gas model? I recognize it's a little faster, but the price difference is small, and the extra cost is recovered quickly, especially compared to cars where one might NEVER recover the higher price through gas savings. When you add in the fact that (from all that's said here) the 17" wheels give a better ride, it makes what I consider a compelling case for the TAH. Am I missing something, folks?

Limited vs Touring: Not being a fan of adaptive cruise control, and not needing cooled seats since I live in a temperate climate, the only significant advantage of the ltd. for me is the stereo. I did think it was quite a bit better (I was able to compare the same classical music on each). But, that just doesn't justify the price difference, imho.

The main thing i disliked about the car was the small windows/tight interior/reduced visability the car gives. And I wish the steering wheel telescoped out farther (I'm 6' 4" and would like to have the seat all the way back without driving with my arms fully extended).

I will drive the car again at some point, but at this point I think that at my next large repair for my Infiniti, it's back to Toyota for the reasons stated AND their better reliability.
  • x475awsx475aws Member Posts: 2
    seattlejon, I have to ask if you're not a fan of adaptive cruise control on principle, or if you've used it before. If the former, I also thought it was a bad idea for lots of reasons, but now it's my single favorite feature on my Avalon Hybrid Limited. If the latter, someone on another forum mentioned that this Avalon's adaptive cruise control, using radar, works a lot better than his previous Avalon's which used laser.
    I never used ACC before until I got my TAH and I haven't had used it much here in the SF Bay Area. But, if I lived in LA it would be default on.
    I misspoke the speedo is about 2 miles per hour "FAST" not slow. The larger circumference of the '55 aspect tires VS the '45's would slow the speedo down and might end up making it more accurate if my GPS is correct.
  • seattlejonseattlejon Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for bringing this up, x475; if I'm being shortsighted about the benefits of the Limited I'd like to know it.
    I did have ACC on my 2002 Q45 (until it went out!) and I strongly disliked it. It felt as though the car would unnecessarily slam on the brakes at times. It seems pretty clear that the Avalon's system is MUCH more refined, but can you tell me what it is about ACC that you appreciate so much? (Even with a sophisticated adaptive system my daily commute wouldn't permit it's use, by the way.)
    Thanks.
  • x475awsx475aws Member Posts: 2
    I have a 230 mile, 4 hour trip on I-95 that I make regularly, as well as a 120 mile, 2.5 hour trip on secondary roads. Also other road trips of varying lengths, less often. The way the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control maintains following distance and keeps up with traffic, very smoothly with no overreaction even if someone cuts in front, still seems almost magical to me. It really makes those trips less tiring, and probably helps with gas mileage too. You can choose among three following-distance settings. I prefer the longest one, but the space it leaves in front of me is too long for busy interurban highways like I-95, so I use the middle setting there.

Don't forget the Pre Collision System that's also part of the tech package on the Limited. The owner's manual warns about circumstances that could cause false actuation of the PCS, and I was concerned about that. But in 4 months and 5000 miles of driving I haven't had one false trigger. It's nice to know it's there, and could save my bacon someday in case something happens too fast for me to react.
  • teresa01teresa01 Member Posts: 14
    Gentlemen:

Just found this article and thought you all might be interested.

http://www.kbb.com/toyotacentral/avalon/#/brvafullsize

Teresa
  • 105f2dc105f2dc Member Posts: 5
    Need input from someone with the Avalon Hybrid in a hot climate, how does the A/C do on a 90 degree day? We have a Camry V6 and the AC never disappoints. No problems with heating either (we usually average 40's in Winter). I asked this question in the Camry Hybrid forum and there were a couple who were not satisfied (actually they complained about the heat). Thanks for your help, seriously considering a Touring model but don't want to lose the comforts of the V6.
  • dwcdwc Member Posts: 6
    Got a 2013 Limited Hybrid in January and have had no problem with the AC handling the Texas heat this summer. It has been at a 100 degrees or more every day for the couple of weeks here in Austin.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Have a Ford Escape Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. They are both adequate, but no where near as cold or efficient as the ones where the compressors are driven by the engine. My Lexus and Ford Explorer will create a Meat Locker in the car in no time, even if 112 outside. Not so the others. But, again, adequate.
  • kadenakadena Member Posts: 6
  • kadenakadena Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    I am considering purchasing a 2014 Avalon XLE Touring but I am confused. Does the car ride rough and if so, why? Is it because of the 18 inch wheels? Is it caused by the stiffened suspension by Toyota? Or is it caused by the Bridgestone tires? I know one thing for sure. I had Bridgestone tires that came on a new 2007 Camry that I owned and they rode like they were made out of cement in the Chicago winter. I finally took them off and threw them away and replaced them with Michelin tires and the car rode great. I will not buy an Avalon if the car has Bridgestones on them.

So, what is wrong with the Avalon ride? It just sounds like the worthless Bridgestone tires to me?
    It's just the new way cars ride. Take it for a LONG ride, and you should be fine - If you like the ride.

While it is not as smooth or comfy as older models, it is what it is. Most folks are fine with the ride, and if you live in an area where the roads are smooth - then you'll love the car / ride.

Skip
    The new Avalon's road isolation is not as good as the older models but the handling is much better. Consumer Reports, who down rated the ride of the new Avalon to just good, gave the older model a 1/2 black circle poor for emergency handling. Coming from a Lexus RX 300 I really appreciate the way car inspires confidence in its cornering capacity.
  • robnichrobnich Member Posts: 13
    The ride in my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 with Michelin tires on 18" wheels has definitely softened up in the 7 months I have owned it. I find the ride perfectly acceptable and it is just not an issue.

Robert N.
    edited August 2013
    I own a 2013 Avalon Touring edition V6. Drove models with both types of tires properly inflated. I would not have purchased the car had I only driven the car with the either tire over inflated, especially the Bridgestone's. My first test drive was a Hybrid with over inflated Bridgestones and I am hard pressed to think of any car I have owned that rode ruffer and it had 17" wheels and yes the 18" tires ride a little firmer than the 17"s. I am willing to bet Toyota will be doing some chassis tuning on the 2014's so I think if you stick with the Michlins properly inflated(33psi cold) you will be satisfied. If your comming from a softly sprung vehicle you may need a adjustment period just like most people need when buying a new mattress . Good luck and I hope this helps.
    My last car was a 2009 Camry Hybrid and my experience mirrors yours which is one of the reasons I went for the V6 in my 2013 Avalon Touring sedan. I have no regrets. Only reason I bought the Hybrid was I was concerned that President Obama's anti fossil fuel policies and his Middle East policies combined would lead to $5-6 a gallon gas and gas rationing. I underestimated the resilience of our oil industry. We may yet see $5-6 dollar a gallon gas but I am less concerned about rationing. I can live with that. I feel sorry for many of those folks who voted for Obama who are in tuff times right now as they will be crushed if this happens as will our lack luster economy. I hope I am wrong but I am 73yrs old and I lived thru the Carter years and I see some strong similarities with that time and our current situation..
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Wow I thought this was a forum about cars not politics.
    But with the other guy(Republican) I wouldn't even have a job let alone a car.
  • malcolm9malcolm9 Member Posts: 6
    Wow, I am shocked at poorthingflint's lack of understanding of how the oil market works. Whomever is in office has little imapct on the price of oil because that is a price that is set worldwide but there are a few things they can do to move the price. Things that can make the price of oil go up: starting a war in a major oil producing country and taking 2-3 million bpd offline. Things that can make the price of oil go down (longer term): high prices,(which encourage drivers to choose the Camry over the hummer) and cafe standard increases which encourage car makers to take efficiency improvements seriously. While being a HUGE waste of money, cash for clunkers probably lowered the price of gas a little by improving the efficiency of the American fleet. There is going to be no rationing you ignoramus. That is the beauty of the free market system. Prices rise to the level where there are no more shortages.
    Sorry my logic for buying a hybrid offended you but I was not trying to do anything but explain my reason for buying the car. It would but foolish not to consider the effects of government policies in your purchasing plans. I have done that most of my adult life as a small business man and it servered me well. Thought it was germain to the discussion to explain why I did not buy another hybrid as well. Buy the way,do you feel my comments were factually challenged or somehow unfair?
    Let me see if I understand your points putting name calling aside. Are you saying that reducing our potential oil production in our country has little or no effect on oil prices? Am I to understand failed Middle East policies also have little effect on oil prices? I think not unless you live in the world of "Oz". Futures traders factor all these things into oil futures purchases and this contributes to higher oil prices. It's not rocket science. As you so rightly pointed out that's the beauty of the free market system. In case you have not noticed the Middle East is on fire and in a state of civil war and worse. Just a matter of time before this leads to some sort of Middle East conflict and my expectations for $5-6 dollar a gallon for gas will realized. Sorry if this offends you but that's the way it's heading.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Please guys, let's get back to cars and blog about politics somewhere else. Some of us visit these forums to take a break from political debate. Thanks!!
  • jerome162jerome162 Member Posts: 2
    I am (very!) interested in buying a used 2012 Avalon base with 25K mileage.....i am just curious if any of the owners have major issues with their Avalon and please advise me on whetehr to get one for my family or not. thank you !
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    I've had a 2012 since November and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

Also, there has been much discussion here about the ride and handling of the 2013 models but I am pleased with the 2012 in this regard using Bridgestone tires.
  • stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    I have owned a 2011(same as 2012) since March 2012. I have had zero issues. There have been no warranty issues or any manufacturing issues.The only cost I have experienced in 1 1/2 years is to replace the cabin AC filter. The only negative is that the cooled seats do not seem as comfortable as my old 2006 Avalon. Great car !
    Well here goes Skip again:)

I have had a 2008, (traded with 68,000 miles) 2011, (traded with 46,000) 2013 (traded with 3700 miles) and 2012 Avalon (current own with 15,000 miles). You will love the 2012.

Now if a sportier ride is in your liking, you will love the 2013.

The earlier models are bigger, more comfortable, roomier and if a large car with large car features, characteristics is what you are looking for, then the 2012 is the car for you.

No problems, and or minor issues with all 4 of my Avalons, squeaky wipers and front brake rotors (all under warranty).

Ton's of space in the back seat, large trunk, smooth, quiet ride, albeit a bit boring to look at (or so they say), fine MPG for a large car. A few recent trips had me getting 30+- MPG on the highway.

Skip
  • jerome162jerome162 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for the replies! i know the car looks awesome, comfy and huge - a great family car. i was just curious that quite a few mentioned about how expensive it is to have certain issues fixed with the 2012 avalon....some leaks, transmission repairs, machine/valve knocking noises....i know this is a luxury sedan and my concern was they questioned its reliability/quality that it will end up expensive to maintain down the life of the car.
    again, appreciate all of your inputs!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Owned one Avalon from each of the first 3 generations... my last was an '07 Limited, all were wonderful to over 100k. In the past there have been brake rotor and headlight issues with the Avalon but those are not problems in the 2012. A neighbor has a 2012, probably has 30k on it already, perfect so far as I know, I tried to buy it. Find one and enjoy.... !! The 2013 is a truly different car and generation.
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    the 2012 is gonna be the most smoothest ride you ever had in your life.get it
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    The 2005 through 2012 were wonderful cars. The new model does nothing for me. I loved my 2006 XLS, great ride, roomy and decent MPG for a big car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I test drove the 2013 and drove it right back and on Dec 14, 2012 I asked my dealer to find me the 2012 to replace the 2011. I loved all my Avalon's, and will stay with this 2012 knowing after all the issues Toyota had with major recalls in 2010, I know with all the corrections they implemented with quality control, my 2012 is a keeper. I've had no issues with it, then again I never had any issues with the other Avalon's I've owned. I would trade them in every two years, but will stay with this 2012 because I disliked what they did inside with the 2013, and it's sportier drive, and less inside room. I've tested a lot of different cars, and my Avalon's have so much room in the rear and ride the way I like it. I don't enjoy the European ride sporty bumpy up and down over every bump. They also took things out of the 2013 that aren't noticed right away. Like the fold out pockets on the door are now stationery, pockets for coffee have no cover over them, more dust etc., so overall they took things away to save some money. I believe since the 2012 is the last of the breed of the older Avalon, it will retain its value higher than the others, as it will be more in demand as a used car as long as its taken well care of. So far I have enjoyed the 7,895 miles I've racked up, averaging on highway over 32 MPG. This is one car I'm keeping, as I see nothing out there I want to replace it. Good luck to all those that purchased the 2013.