Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer - My Ford Touch issues

2»

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have only had Touch issues with mine, and it has improved with each upgrade they have provided. There is another one out now that I'm going to be doing this week. It may totally resolve the issues finally. Microsoft made Touch just like they make their Windows software - with lots of bugs, but it's getting pretty good now.

As far as all the other issues, that's not normal and also not comforting to the owner, I know. I'd be concerned. If it continues to have issues, don't keep this car outside of warranty! Get a new car. You may have a "lemon", or at least a sweet lemon.....

I've been really pleased with my Explorer - it's my 8th one, and the best in a long time. Mechanically, no issues at all. Only a couple of cosmetic repairs needed, minor and completed easily under warranty. We love how it drives and the room is great. Features are second to none.
  • david_sulockdavid_sulock Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2013 ford explorer. Great vehicle trim, engine and ride. The ford sync for the past 5 months has not worked better than 20% of the time. The navigation consistently cannot compute a destination, it tells you where you were not where you are. The clock also has the wrong time every time you get in the car but figures out the correct time after 10 minutes or so. Using it for navigation to a destination is useless. You can wait 15 minutes for it to try and figure out a route. Took it to the dealer 4 times, updated software and chip, last visit I was told ford engineers were working on a fix. No idea when ford engineers will develop a fix but I was told to contact the dealer every month to see if there is a fix. I asked if I could be contacted when a fix was found to alleviate the waiting and surprise factor, I was told ford would not.

The dealer winner ford in cherry hill was very nice and helped as much as they could. Apparently the sync is not giving an error code even though there is an obvious error. The ford customer service rep was also very nice, got me a rental after my second dealer visit and called after every visit to check on status. Offered to extend the warranty and was sympathetic.

My issue, fix the problem ford, call me when it is fixed so i dont have to call and loan me a GPS until the problem is fixed. I understand you are not a software company and this appears to be a software problem, but you need to sell cars that work. Give me a year of trouble free driving before I have a problem.

The link is a video of the navigation not working.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d6B1kzC5qsI&feature=plcp
  • rob052067rob052067 Member Posts: 8
    My parents have a 2013 Edge. I'm pleased to confirm that the latest software update to MyFordTouch has resolved cell phone road noise problem! :)
  • cageordiecageordie Member Posts: 4
    A Windows ME system that is. In the last year I have driven four Ford Edges, an Explorer and a Mustang GT, so I've spent a lot of time with these systems.

Let's start with the worst, ignoring the tacky non-functional body kit and the 1980s automatic transmission the Mustang was OK, the engine was brilliant. The MyFord Touch was a disaster. We were listening to a book on my iPod, three times it decided I didn't have an iPod and chose some random other thing to play. The system reset on several occasions and sometimes wouldn't connect to Bluetooth or USB. Sometimes it also forgot about the satellite radio. We actually pulled over on I93 in NH to switch off the car and restart the 'entertainment'.

The later Edges and Explorer were better but shared common faults. The random disconnects and failures to recognize Bluetooth and USB were still present. The next thing we noticed and I don't remember noticing it on the Mustang, was the difference of opinion between the dash and the touch screen. The dash would deny I had a phone or iPod while the main display showed that I was streaming audio from my phone. How can you not be entertained by this late 90s behavior. Now if they fitted the Mustang gearbox to the Explorer it would be easy to think you were back in the past.

The most irritating thing is the slow startup. I have been an embedded systems engineer since the early 80s, I have done a variety of military and civil jobs. I have never had a project that took a second to start. In embedded software a second is a lifetime, in aircraft control systems if you can't restart in 1/50th of a second then you can't do the job. Each time I started the Explorer I'd poke and poke at the screen waiting for it to decide it was alive, the display was on already, then it would issue a startled group of beeps and apply all those ignored button presses. This really isn't good enough. Then there was the "did it find anything interesting" lottery, would I be listening to the real BBC world service on my phone or the fake one on satellite (the rest of the world gets much wider programming) or something from the iPod?

I could always get round the system eventually, except that once we had to pull over in the Mustang. But this really really isn't good enough.

I stopped using the bluetooth in the Explorer because of the wind noise problems. Nobody could understand me. But as far as that is concerned the Edges all appeared to be OK, it was only an Explorer issue for me.

The voice commands were worse than useless. Last week Jeremy CLarkson drove a Shelby Mustang with this calamity of a system and ended up yelling "will you shut up" at it. I think that was about the level of success I had too. I could not get it to voice dial anything, no method worked.

This system is garbage at present, somewhere there are a bunch of self satisfied little idiots who think they did an acceptable job. What planet are you people on? You need to spend a few hours in one of your own cars.

I must admit I know one of the Germans who did the BMW iDrive CCC system (after they ditched their Microsoft based version 1 - are you listening Ford?) and it was a bit opaque to use at first, but it came up fast and was reliable the one time I used it on a 5 series in 2004 or so. That uses VxWorks, the same operating system used on things like spy satellites, space probes, the Mars Rovers, commercial aircraft and bombs... all things that absolutely have to work. They switched to CIC which is based on another realtime operating system, QNX, in about 2008. I liked the Audi MMI too and can't ever remember having any problems with the Infiniti system, that just works.

PLEASE FORD, do something about this garbage!
  • kmccann1kmccann1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having issues with my gps when my 4s is connected via Bluetooth to the system. As soon as the phone is connected the GPS jams up, will not move as I drive, clock can eventually be off by a few hours as well. Ford said nothing was wrong with my gps after they did an update in October. I got in my vehicle, phone connected, GPS put me on Michigan way and us route 12. I live in sc and the map was in Michigan! Then they don't believe me that the GPS is not working, I brought it up for yet anothe update to find out I already had it, so more time wasted. Essentially can not use phone via Bluetooth and use navigation at the same time!! This sucks!! System gets touchy and blacks out, does system maint frequently too. Dealer told me it had to be an app on the phone, oh and I forgot to mention that I got another 4s and it was DOING THE SAME CRAP, so I removed apps...still did the same stuff...finally got pissed enough to call ford customer service and still got No help from amber I believe her name was, she was useless....I had apple on the phone trying to help and no one at ford could help since this chick was angling my case ad was no where to be found, another hour wasted, then when she emailed she stated that she would not be speaking with apple! So I finally blow up at the dealer, they take my car for a week and my phone for two days, they replicated the issues, replaced the apim, supposedly had an 4s that they were testing it with and everything worked. I get in it, doesn't work right off the bat, so I am on The phone with apple again...my phone is wiped, took otter box off as that was the only variable and still jamming up the system....I just did a master reset and will disconnect the battery too, but I am spent on trying to figure out if it is MY phone (have had two now). Very disappointed with ford, their customer service and EXCUSES, they really need to figure this out or I will not be leasing from them again. Why am I trying to fix this anyway? :confuse: Shouldn't OC welch be doing this and making me a happy client?
  • princebabaprincebaba Member Posts: 1
    I am the mostly proud owner of a new Ford F-150 Limited Pickup Truck. I have owned the vehicle for approximately one month. This is a new venture for me as it is the first American car I have ever purchased, and the first pickup. While this is quite the norm for many Americans, I have been driving Ultimate Driving Machines for most of the last 20 years. After too many flat tires and bent rims to count, I decided I was ready for a change. The truck is comfortable and looks great! The kids love the room it provides and being up high. I no longer spend my time in fear that the next pothole I hit will put me on the back of a flatbed. Shortly after bringing my new truck home, I started experiencing problems with the SYNC system not unlike those mentioned on the website. Connecting my iPhone 4S was hit or miss. Bluetooth Audio was also intermittent. The System froze regularly, GPS Position was off as was system time. The Service Advisor was friendly and courteous and asked me about the number of Contacts I store. I told him approximately 6500. He informed me that syncing so many contacts with the system often creates problems. He also mentioned that having location services turned ON for Google Maps can cause the GPS position to be incorrect. Together we DELETED my phone from both the SYNC system and the iPhone ('Forget this Device' under Bluetooth settings). We also went to the Location Services settings (under Privacy in the iPhones settings) and turned Google Maps location services to off. We re-synced the phone opting not to sync contacts. The good news, is that for now, everything is functioning as advertised. He smiled and informed me that this was not likley the last issue I would have, but for the moment I am pleased that after 3 Start/Stops things are working consistently. I will post again as things progress. I am hoping for the best....
    Have you performed the Upgrades? There are several. Mine did the same initially, but every upgrade has made it better, and it's fine now. I also have a 4S.
  • ksmith333ksmith333 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem. So far the fix has been to unconnect my phone from the vehicle and unconnect the vehicle from the phone. while the phone will now not work (the phone will but not though the vehicle), everything else works fine. We are still attempting to figure out why the phone is messing it up. I have an Iphone 4
    Had that issue initially - but the first or second upgrade (can't remember for sure) fixed that right up.
    Bummer as we have tried new "brains", new cards and so far nothing has worked so I just leave phone unhooked. Please let me know if you some up with something else that works
    On a 13, that's unacceptable, in my opinion..... Bluetooth is essential in my state - you can drive with an open bottle of Jack here, but if you talk on a phone with your hand, you get the chair! I'd have to give that car back, somehow....
    I had a rented Taurus with 3,000 miles on it two weeks ago, it was delivered to Budget in May. It had all the bells and whistles but that still had problems. It lost the iPod when it was switched off for a few hours. I used it with Bluetooth Audio but it had to be re-selected each time I got in the car. The only way to fix it once was to literally pull over, switch off, get out, lock the doors, get back in and start again. Each time it lost the Bluetooth audio it reverted to AM radio. Often the central display didn't show Bluetooth as a source but the instrument panel display did, so you had to select Bluetooth on the steering wheel then change modes on the main panel so that it would finally catch on. This is still a poor system and isn't getting fixed very fast.
    Thanks for the comments. I agree. Dealership is owned by a good friend so they are trying hard ot fix but getting nothing out of Ford so far. On idea so far is that some app I have on my phone gets updated and throws it out of "sync" pun intended. Frustrating
    edited June 2013
    I am an engineer with appropriate experience, but I won't throw my credentials around. I drive a lot of rental cars, in the last year Jeep, Chrysler (same electronics), Ford, BMW, Hyundai, Toyota, Chevrolet/GMC, Nissan/Infiniti and probably some others. In that time I have always used the same LG VS920 phone (Verizon LG Spectrum). The systems have all had quirks and imperfections, except the Infiniti which worked perfectly with iPod and phone. This isn't a problem with the phones. I feel sorry for the dealer having to try to deal with this like it was a working part that broke, the problem is in the Microsoft software in My Ford Touch. MS has a desktop attitude to software, and that attitude is not adequate in realtime embedded software (which is what the electronics industry calls this sort of thing). I deliver incredibly complex systems with 80 processors in each box, they all have to work 100% of the time or Verizon can't make calls any more and we don't get paid (our payroll processor uses our product). If we have a serious bug we fix it within days. I can not imagine how Ford can let these issues go on for years.
  • shopshopshopshop Member Posts: 9
    I have had all the problems for years...clock, gps, shut downs etc using iphone 4s. Every time I go to dealer to get any work done i just say "and sync desn't work". Just talked to Ford and they told me that connecting the phone via the sync USB connection is causing the problems and that a software fix is "on the way" but that this fix wont be out until after iOS 7 is released.
  • shopshopshopshop Member Posts: 9
    I personally believe the Microsoft stopped updating the system and that Ford has no internal knowledge of the system in order to fix it (if they even have access to code). The problems with the software are so obvious...for one thing the data is not isolated from the OS. This is why when you reset the system, instead of just resetting the OS but leaving your data intact, it blows everything away. Also as you point out, any embedded system clears all memory at shutdown so there is no corruption of the system. Sync/MFT on the other hand becoms corrupted over a number of uses...you can kinda see it happen as it gets slower and slower and finally crashes.
    Thanks for the update. hopefully fixed some day. I have either been with most features but have phone or no phone and all features for 6 months now.. if anyone hears of some fix other than Ford, I would appreciate the advice.
    On idea so far is that some app I have on my phone gets updated and throws it out of "sync" pun intended

Actually, there may be something to that. Before my second upgrade, if I had both my phone and my wife's phone synced to the system, it would blow it up. Finally took mine off and left hers on (since it's primariy her car), and it worked fine. After upgrades, not a problem anymore.
  • guruguyguruguy Member Posts: 1
    Microsoft only offers the Windows CE part of the operating system of MFT, Ford hired their own people to program MFT - they didn't pay Microsoft to do this although I am sure they wished they did at this point. Microsoft has never made updates to the system, Ford has always been the one to blame with all the issues here.
    Ah, good, an expert. So as an expert in embedded operating systems, even toy ones nobody trusts, like Windows CE... aka wince... you'll know that the Bluetooth and USB stacks are usually components of the O/S. So there's enough blame to spread around on this one. Or are you a MS insider? Did Ford really buy third party Bluetooth and USB stacks? So why does it keep dropping USB and Bluetooth connections? I have little respect for Ford's attempts at high technology, but they are not solely to blame for this one.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One version of the story I read is that Ford used a third party to code (at least partially) Sync and/or MyTouch and had to bring Microsoft in when the contractor didn't get the job done.

In any event, the system isn't going away because people want it and it sells cars. And the software will continue to be tweeked and changed and massaged, just like iOS or Windows or just about any application out there.

I do admit I'm still using WinAmp version 2.64. :D
    Whomever is issuing the patches or updates, they work and have now completely resolved my issues with MFT. It no longer crashes, freezes and syncs up just as it should. Very satisfied with it now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good to hear. Windows 8.1 has been stable too.
  • explortionexplortion Member Posts: 10
    Not bad. Two years and crashing the value of an overpriced, overhyped and total lie I bought in good faith that Ford ignored. ThanksFord.
  • fordtrixfordtrix Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! Just stumbled across this discussion while searching for something else. I work in a Ford service department. I'm often frustrated by issues with SYNC and MyFord Touch. There is some good news though. The latest update to the software (Version 3.6.1) seems to chase away a lot of problems. To see if this applies to your MyFord Touch, check your software level: touch the settings icon (gears) at bottom center of home screen, then touch the Help tab, then touch system information. Look at the line that begins with CCPU S/W Version:. It will look something like this: CCPU S/W Version: 4.26.11346_Product. If the 5 digits before the underscore are less than 13371, you need the latest update. For the record, your particular vehicle might not be covered by warranty for this, but you should be able to download this file from www.syncmyride.com. You just copy the files to a USB flash drive, stick it in the USB port in the car and follow the on-screen instructions. It takes about half an hour. I hope this helps! Let me know your experience. If there is a problem getting the required file, I might be able to post it here if that's allowed.
    All who have followed this for some time (me for 8 months). They finally admitted that there was a problem with My Ford Touch and Iphones. I just had upgrade about 2 or so weeks ago and have had no problems since then. Bad news is that even dealers were upset that they could not get straight answer out of Ford for so long

But good news is that it appears to be fixed at least on my 2013 Ford Explorer
  • stereodanstereodan Member Posts: 2
    The majority of MFT users that have problems have Smartphones. The number one cause of issues is phonebook content on these "Smartphones". When MFT is reading the phonebook and encounters Emoticons, dashes, slashes, parenthesis, brackets and other characters that should not be used to spell a name or multiple entries of the same contact than it does not know how to deal with them and the system hangs. This hang is causing the entire system to be slow. The problem is aggravated when having Auto Download phonebook set to on, as at every phone connect MFT is checking the phonebook and further causing system memory issues due to phonebook read problems.

I agree 100% that Ford needs a software fix that will not hang when encountering these issues. However Ford has no control over what users have in their phonebooks.

The fix is to clean up your phonebook. Only have characters A thru Z and # or & or '. For doctor spell it out do not use "Dr." basically keep it simple. Spell hard to pronounce names phonetically.

After phonebook is cleaned up you must reset MFT and phone before pairing back up to MFT.

Delete Sync pairing from phone and reboot phone or take off battery if possible.

Power reset MFT by removing either vehicle battery cable for a minimum of 5 minutes. When System is back up after re-connecting battery cable perform a Master reset through MFT menu. Go to Settings: System, scroll to bottom of page: Master Reset, answer yes to both pop up questions. A master reset is only successful if the screen turns off then comes back on at the Home screen. Reset typically takes 2 to 5 minutes. If reset is not successful, resetting to defaults box goes away but still on same screen, than try again. If still not successful take to Dealer.

Now pair phone to SYNC and allow phonebook download. Go to phonebook screen on MFT, when it shows phonebook download complete then go to MFT phone Settings screen: scroll to bottom: Manage Phonebook: Set Auto Download to off. You can use this same menu to delete and re-download phonebook to upload any changes.

If you do not want to fix your phonebook than follow all other steps but do not download phonebook to MFT. MFT will work and you can make and take calls, but Voice calling by name will not work.

If any phone with issues is paired and phonebook downloaded it can cause issues for the whole system no matter which phone is currently connected. The only way to fix it is to Power and Master reset MFT again and not download a messed up phonebook.
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I’m not real sure who “sterodan” is. I note that he just joined this site 8 days ago, makes me wonder if he is doing PR for Ford.

At any rate, his contention that the majority of problems are related to smartphones does not appear to be supported by the facts. I just bought a brand new F150 on Saturday evening, September 28th. I have put about 3 miles on the truck (from the dealership to my house). And I have NOT, repeat NOT, connected a smart phone to the system. All I did was try to connect a flash drive with MP3s. It required me going under the hood and pulling a battery cable before this piece of junk would play music from the flash drive. And when I tried a different flash drive, guess what, yes, that’s right, I had to go under the hood and pull the battery cable again.

And I will go further – the contention that it is your fault for having special characters in your phone book is 100% bogus. I have been writing and debugging software since 1968. If a piece of software that I was responsible for blew up when it encountered a “special character”, I could and would fix that problem in one day. That’s right, one day. (Recognizing special characters and skipping over them is not rocket science, folks.)

Now it might take several weeks, or in the worst case, several months for quality assurance to test my changes and release them to the end users. But these problems (Ford Sync) have been going on for more than 4 years.
  • stereodanstereodan Member Posts: 2
    Who I am is an independant Vendor that specializes in Ford Audio , Video etc.
    I handle Factory warranty issues for Ford dealers. I also do upgrades like adding Headrest DVD Systems and Navigation etc. In no way am I doing PR for Ford. I just want to help people. In fact my helping people can cause my business to make less money. If SYNC has no issues and no one comes to dealer to have it fixed than I have less work to bill for.

I never said only Smartphones cause issues. Did u pair any phone to the System before using a flash drive? Phonebook content issues apply for all phones. Also I have seen many times where customers use flash drives that have security software or other executible programs on flashdrives along with music. When we remove these and only put on supported music they work.

Lastly I agree that Ford could and should write better software. My purpose of posting was to use my knowledge of SYNC to help people get it to work with the current state of the software. Also there are many things that could have contributed to SYNC not working when u drove it home. Like battery went dead on lot and improper jump start caused lock up, other customers testing vehicle paired phone with issues like Emoji in phonebook. As stated in my original post some issues can not be remedied without full power and master reset of SYNC.
  • explortionexplortion Member Posts: 10
    I can't believe that anyone would willingly fork over 35-40k if they knew at the time of the sale that the system does not work properly. I didn't see a sign on my 40k Explorer Limited saying " everything works except -----?" Nor did a salesman or manager tell me about it when they were fully aware if the problems. So I sold my Ford and got a new Toyota. The highlander limited was the same price. Oh yes, and everything just plain worked. Sorry Ford and all of your empty promises I feel like you lied to me in 2012 and it looks like it continues. And yes,I have an iphone 5 and loaded the new up day and it worked. Everything just works , and that is all I ever wanted. The dealer tried very hard to fix my Explorer. Changed a ton of parts. Almost like he " Jacked up the radiator cap and pushed a new Explorer under it"
    Good luck Ford owners.
    Explortion
    Since i got the latest update that fixed the phone issue, everything has worked perfectly, just like it is supposed to
  • dmers1dmers1 Member Posts: 8
    Our 2008 Mercury Sable has about 130K without much problemn, except basic maintenance. I know we have version 1.0 MySync and it is very crude and slow.

I feel Mulally is part of the problem. He refuses to open up to the upcoming Apple iOS 7 and keep the slow Microsoft system in the Ford/Lincoln cars. I think he is doing this in order to get a sweet deal from Microsoft as a new CEO.

Also, he could be using Garmin (with 1 lifetime upgrade fee) for GPS vs. the $200.00/year upgrade map DVDs that Ford currently uses.

I also, am not a believer in Consumer Reports biased auto evaluations, though I do like to read the 5-8 year customer complaint summaries for each model to watch for trends in repairs and mechanical issues.
  • rmckellarrmckellar Member Posts: 1

My 2013 Explorer Sync System shuts down every 18-20 minutes on a regular basis. Malcolm Cunninghan, the dealer, has had car several times, but not repaired. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

• fatbeamiefatbeamie Member Posts: 1
    So I made the mistake of purchasing a used 2011 Ford Explorer. It has had nothing but problems all the way around. The power steering locks up while you're driving (been told nothing can be done unless it happens while they are driving it). Now the MFT is not working...and you know what the Dealer told me......"the only way it would stop working is if someone physically punched the screen". Are your kidding me!!!!! I am a 54 year old women, do you really think I would punch the screen....although I felt like punching him!!!