Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You should consider a safari top (if they make one for the Unlimited). It is the top you saw on my Jeep at Camp Jeep last year. With the doors (and uppers on), it does a good job of keeping the cool morning wind from blowing on you. I am running that configuration right now on my TJ. Mornings are still cool and moist here in northern Alabama and the doors + safari + duster keeps me warm enough and I can remove the uppers to put on top of my homemade trunk (under the duster) and have the open feeling.

Camp Jeep 2004
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, April 17, 2005
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

While I love the top down, I burn WAY too easy. :shades: But with my setup, I could easily stow the safari in the trunk if I wanted to as well and run w/o top for a little while and put it back on later.

Now that spring/summer is here, I took off my soft top completely (hardware too) and am running just the safari top. I have the Rain Gear cover to protect from morning dew and rain (I like it dry inside!) so I feel comfortable with this setup for the summer. I doubt you have issues with moisture during this time of year in Frazier Park. :)

-Paul
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Trew,

I'm there with ya. My order went in the 21st of March.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • mickinksmickinks Member Posts: 2
    It's Patriot Blue, with the 6 speed. No serious off roading here, just a fun commuter.

I just thinking of adding a few things. Nerf steps, door guards....

Thanks
  • mac505mac505 Member Posts: 2
    Paul and Tom-

Thanks for the info. I haven't used Haynes in the past for my other vehicles, but this is my first jeep. So I think I will take your advice and get both the Haynes and the factory Service manual.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Take a look at Paul's jeep (photos just above) for what he did for rocker panels/nerf bars. I really like them, and perhaps some day I'll get something like that. I still haven't decided if I want to spend money to make the Sport more off-road worthy or not - we've been driving it less and less and the Unlimited for just about everything. But if we start really off-roading the Unlimited, we'll need to do something - it came with the standard side steps (which will tear off easily on trails). With the price of gas going the way it is, we've seriously cut back on our pleasure driving, including off-roading (at $2.49 per gallon, it adds up too quickly).

Paul - I've thought about a safari top - I really like their looks (and I burn as easily as you do, I bet. Sunblock and a hat with a brim are now standard equipment in GiGi). But thinking about the cost versus how much I'd use it - I'm leaning toward not doing that. My main desire for getting the soft top was to wander around the mountains and be able to see them all around me, including above me. Otherwise, I like my air conditioning too much for the open air but shaded feel.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    redrocker, I did the same this morning. It's about 77 right now, but when I left for work at 7a I could see my breath. Chilly ride! :surprise:
    We're (northeast) getting a little spoiled these last 3 or 4 days, 70+ temps :shades:
    The bottom drops out on Thursday, back to reality. By the weekend 50+ temps :(

Paul, I think you've been asked a million times which brand rocker protectors you have. Sorry, but can you tell me again? :blush:

-Dan
  • Hello Jeep Wrangler Folk,

I'm a newbie drawn here by the "spell" I find myself in over the Wrangler Unlimited (not that I wouldn't go for a SWB, though). Ever since seeing an advertisement in a man's magazine for the Wrangler Unlimited months ago...I can't get it out of my mind! When I was in my early 20s, I really wanted a Wrangler but ended up settling for the "practical", less costly car I could better afford at the time. My current obsession with the Wrangler maybe an early mid-life crisis, I don't know. I say early but other's tell me at 38, it's definitely mid-life crisis talking. On the other hand, my Dad in his mid-70's says it can't be mid-life crisis until I'm 50...whatever. Maybe I just friggin' like the Wrangler and want one!! Yeah, that's it! Back to subject...

I've test driven both hard and softtop, Unlimited and SWB. I like them both! I like the slightly lower price tag and compactness on the SWB but I do like the longer, smoother riding Unlimited, especially with potential for two kids in the back sometimes. I'm up in the air about the hard vs. softtop (where the air is the whole point, right!). I love the open air concept but I don't really like prolonged sun beating down on my head and face. Can the softtop windows be removed leaving the top covering the cabin? I'm hoping so. If not, I think I might opt for the hard top in the Winter and then hope I can find some sort of cabin cover over the driver/passenger and just leave it open for the Spring/Summer/Fall.

Also, as best as I can tell, the main 'H' package items not available as options on the regular 'E' package Unlimited are the "premium cloth" seats, 'color coded, extra-wide fenders', chrome grill cover, and silver dashboard. Does anyone have an opinion on those seat and fender "upgrades"? Do the premium seats feel more comfortable and appear to withstand more use or exposure?

I'm also looking to go manual transmission even though I've never owned anything but automatics. Seems to me a Jeep Wrangler should be a manual experience. However, my wife wouldn't drive a manual if you paid her. She's hoping I'm going to get over my Wrangler "thing" and it'll die off like my other middle-aged man dreams. I'm slightly hoping she, too, will like the "freedom" the Wrangler represents and I'm almost willing to go automatic if it helped me sell her on the idea of getting a Wrangler. In other words, give her hope that I'm not the only one who would benefit from a little "convertible" time away from being servants to our young kids once in awhile.

I appreciate any feedback. For the many pages of comments I've read, you're all a really good group of folks with a wholesome passion for your Jeep Wranglers. I like how everyone here is pretty positive and offers good-natured poking. Some other vehicle forums are not as friendly and can get way off-topic. Your spirited kindliness makes me want to join the Jeep Wrangler "club" of owners even more!

Thank you,

Jim (gas-sipping Honda Civic family-man looking to waste a ton of money on gas, get pelted with bugs, and occasionally get wet and dirty because it sure seems like just the ticket to break the doldrums of indoor office life)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jim:

No sense in doing all the psychoanalyzing. It's not middle age crisis or anything of the sort. You simply have Wrangler Fever. There is but one cure: "gotta go getcha one!"

Wrangler Fever didn't strike me until age 51. Sure wish it had come earlier in my life. I didn't know the fun I was missing.

You only THINK you know how much fun a Jeep would be. Wait until you get one, and you will see that they are ten times more fun than you ever imagined.

I also make this prediction... your wife will fall in love with your Jeep too. No doubt about the kids: that's a given.

A topless/doorless ride on a beautiful day is just about the ultimate! And, no, it really isn't like riding in a convertible car with the top down. It's a whole different feeling, and it is MUCH better. I owned a 1989 Mustang LX convertible, so I have a direct comparison.

Sounds like you would want a "safari" top as an after market addition. A safari top is a cloth top that has no sides and covers the cabin from the windshield back to the elbow where the roll bars start down toward the floor.

Jim, you only live once, and take it from me, you REALLY, REALLY need to get yourself a Jeep. It will make a new man out of you. It will put a smile on your face that will make people wonder what you have been up to.

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • deckboat1deckboat1 Member Posts: 12
    Anybody know of good web sites to sell my 2003 sport? Not sure which one's draw the most response. thanks
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    All this talk about new Jeeps, I searched myself in the discussion just for fun. Wow, did I ever bug you guys with every question possible when I was buying. No wonder nobody waves to me! :cry:

And while there's no such thing as a dumb question when you truly don't know the answer, some of my inquiries made me wince. I still feel like a Jeep beginner, but I guess I've learned more from this group than I realized.

Now, what's this "speedometer" thing I keep hearing about?

-Mike
    Mike:

It's fun going back and checking out old posts, ain't it?

Man, when I go back to my "Wrangler Fever" days, it is a hoot to read my posts! I had it BAD! I was trying to figure out some way to get that Jeep. Nothing I could think of made sense, but I finally did it anyway. And there are NO REGRETS!

Hey, you're right. There are no dumb questions. Jeeps are so unique that people really don't know much about them, just that they want one. I asked a ton of questions too, and I learned what I needed to know.

Tom

• jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    My order went in on 3/24 and my jeep was supposed to arrive in Texas on Wednesday, then at the dealer on thursday or Friday. Unfortunately I had a voice mail from my salesman saying the date was pushed back, but he didn't say how much. We played phone tag all day and I still dont know when I will finally get the jeep and it is totally driving me crazy. I feel like I am obsessed since that is all I can think about. Hopefully all our jeeps will arrive real soon.
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Hi Deckboat,

I sold my honda on autotrader - it took under two weeks, cost half as much as an add in the Houston paper. Overall it was pretty easy.

Good luck,

Jeff
    If you keep the regular soft top on you can still remove the 2 side and back windows for a shadier, open-air experience. It doesn't look quite so strange on a SWB as it does on an Unlimited, but it still looks kind of funny to me. The safari top is a better way to go if you are going to keep the top off for the summer.

I bought an '04 so I don't know anything about the premium cloth. I'm happy with my seats. Back when I bought the Sport, I actually prefered the Sport's fabric over the Sahara. Extra-wide fenders would be nice if you are planning on getting a lift and putting bigger tires on. Don't think I'd like the chrome grill cover (I've only heard about it), even though my Unlimited has a chrome insert that looks nice.

The Sport is a 5 speed, the Unlimited is an auto. My back thanks me daily for getting the auto, so don't worry about compromising with your wife about that - just get the Wrangler.

The Sport is a hard top, the Unlimited is a soft top. I'm happy with either one, my husband prefers the hard top (it does have some advantages). The main problem with the hard top is that you have to have some place to store it if you take it off (since we don't have a garage, the hard top hasn't been off). The soft top worked quite well all winter, and that included a trip to Jackson Wyoming in January. So the choice of tops is strictly personal - depends on what you want.

The Unlimited is much easier to live with if it is going to be your daily driver. While the extra room in the Unlimited is great, it is still hard to get stuff in and out of the back. If your kids are in car seats, it can be a struggle. Best idea is to take the car seats with you and try putting them in when you test drive one again. If they are older, then no problem.

Don't worry about wanting a Wrangler. I was like you - I wanted one 30 years ago, but bought more "practical" vehicles (trucks with campers, trucks for horse trailers and trucks for just hauling stuff around). Then back in '98 I decided I had been practical enough and I was going to get the Wrangler I had always wanted. We now own 2. Once you get the Wrangler fever, the only way to cure it is to buy one.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a Sell Your Car link on the main Edmunds.com page (under the Used logo), and craigslist.org is another option.

Steve, Host
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    Like others in this forum, I've been reading posts here and gettin' educated on Wranglers for over two years, and yes, caught the Wrangler fever. Now I finally have one... picked her up last Friday... I-6 engine, 6 speed manual, dual top, khaki, serial 0548 of 1000 of the special edition Sahara Rubicon production run. Awesome vehicle to drive, and even with the hard top, more fun than I imagined. And I'm sure it only gets better with the soft top / no top configurations yet to come.

As an aside, the neighborhood kids just wanted to climb into the Wrangler and sit in the seats... says a lot about the appeal of these vehicles in and of itself.

The enthusiasm here is superb! Keep it up.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    called last night, said she was at a dealership doing the paperwork for chrysler financing to get the $1000 rebate.

Calls tonight says she's been out driving around topless, in her new khaki, Sport

Jeff
    I hope she meant the jeep was topless.
    She is excited, she's ready to go offroad,, but wants to take mine so hers doesn't get scratched!!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Jim,

I don't know what all the different packages consist of, so I'm not going to be much help there.

I can tell you that there is nothing that compares to having the top off driving around on the first few 80+ degree days of the year. I LOVE IT!

I bought my jeep with a hard top, and picked up a soft top on EBAY, just installed it last weekend. If I had it to do over again, I'd opt for starting with a softtop then deciding if you think you need the hardtop, you may decide you don't need a HT... but it sounds like you know you want the softtop.

jeff
    Dirk:

CONGRATULATIONS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy for ya, Dude! Sounds like a super nice Jeep.

I see from your profile that you have owned a 93 XJ, so this Jeep Thing is not new to you, but the Wrangler is.

Best of luck with that new Jeep. Hope we can hook up for some wheelin' sometime.

Tom

called last night, said she was at a dealership doing the paperwork for chrysler financing to get the $1000 rebate.

Calls tonight says she's been out driving around topless, in her new khaki, Sport

Jeff
    I hope she meant the jeep was topless.
    She is excited, she's ready to go offroad,, but wants to take mine so hers doesn't get scratched!!

Jeff:

I'm tellin' ya, man, you'd better marry that gal!!!!

Tom

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Thanks for the info everyone. I found the BFG tires here at Sams Club for $122 plus tax each, mounted, balanced, new valve stems, free tire repair, and free rotation. Is that a good price?
    Thanks for the info everyone. I found the BFG tires here at Sams Club for $122 plus tax each, mounted, balanced, new valve stems, free tire repair, and free rotation. Is that a good price?

No, that's a GREAT price! (If you are talking about BFG All Terrain T/A KO's in 31 x 10.50 size)

That's a good price for the tires alone, but to get tax, valve stems, balancing, and mounting included is super good.

Way to go! Now, see what those people inflated them to, and take them to about 28 psi. You will LOVE the ride and handling. You will also get good, even tread wear and get the best tread life at 28 psi.

Tom

Edit: Ok, I see that tax was not included, but still a killer deal!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    No problem. Love talking bout Jeeps. :)

Summary of TJ:
    97 TJ SE
    Manual
    2.5L 4 popper
    AX-5 transmission
    30x9.5 BFG AT/KO's on Canyon wheels

Summary of my mods:

Rockers - Toys by Troy Ultimate sliders (protect bottom, lower edges, step/protect bar
    Bumpers - Jeeperman 54" front, standard rear (no tire carrier option)
    Steering Skid - Toys by Troy, Kilby makes a nice one too
    Gas Skid - Kilby - for 97 TJ - 03+ has different requirements
    Lift - Soon to be installed OME 2.5" HD lift (no body lift at this time)
    Top - Bestop Sailcloth (black), Bestop Safari top (black), want window sliders sometime
    Duster - Bestop tonneau - tan (hides dust nicely and it came with the TJ)
    Seat Covers - Mopar tan/black
    Console - Tuffy Security Console with subwoofer enclosure
    Stereo - Alpine CDA9827 with XM (antenna in soundbar)
    Kicker 6x9's, MB Quart 5.25's in dash, Kicker 8" sub in console
    Soundbar - Edgeauto.com - holds 6x9's
    Cobra 75WXST compact CB with Wilson 2' antenna (also have Firestik 4')
    Homemade hand throttle for offroading
    Homemade secure trunk under duster (for when rear seat is out)
    IPF headlight replacement (H4)
    IPF 968 fog/driving lights
    Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS with RAM Mount on dash
    A few fun decals on the side :)

I think that covers it for now. Been a big investment in time and money, but I love my little TJ and I don't see getting rid of it any time soon and it has 99,200 miles.

-Paul
  • Thank you "tsjay", "jeff62301", and "mtngal" for your replies. I really appreciate your comments. I like the idea of the after-market safari top. I can see that as being a good mix of open air and shade from the Sun.

My kids loved test driving the Wranglers with me a few weekends ago. They're old enough to use booster seats so it wasn't too bad just helping them latch their seatbelts in the back. For my kids' entry sake, I did like the model with the optional side-steps. The one without required a little more assistance for my kids to get in. My kids pretty much giggled all the way as we blew down some dirt roads in our area that would have broken my lil' Civic in half (Michigan Winters can leave our dirt roads in pretty bad shape for Spring). They really liked the big back windows on the soft top and I'm sure they'd love the feeling with the soft top down. I suppose I'd have to be careful of bugs or stones hitting them back there, though.

Your collective enthusiasm and positive expressions towards the Wrangler has me ready to run over to the dealer during my lunch hour to get one ordered!! I may get my wife to test drive one so she can see for herself what fun it will be. I'll keep you posted.
  • I saw the movie Sahara last night. In fact, I have to admit I actually went to see it mainly to see the Wrangler as the commercials/posters/websites have been cross-advertising. Unfortunately, it has not quite 20 seconds worth of scenes with a Wrangler Unlimited beat up to look like it's been abused in the desert. The movie does include more scenes involving older Jeep Cherokee models. I enjoyed the movie very much but I wouldn't recommend the movie simply to see the Jeeps in action. They're still cool and its nice to see them so at home in that environment, no doubt, but I guess from all the cross-advertising promoting the Wrangler in the movie, I expected much more than what is actually in the movie. I should have expected that since Hollywood and Madison Ave. executives did the same thing for BMW's little roadster some years ago in one of the James Bond movies. All the cross-promoting commericials for the movie and car only to see the roadster for about 8 seconds. I guess that's why they want you to BUY the vehicle rather than watching it, eh? Teasers!!! :)
  • lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    Anyone ever have any problem putting one on? The place where the plastic goes into the header kept popping out on the corners. Does it get better after it's been used? I guess I need someone to hold one side in place when I secure the other side. I got frustrated with it. It's from Bestop.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "...........I'm sure they'd love the feeling with the soft top down. I suppose I'd have to be careful of bugs or stones hitting them back there, though..."

Very little danger of that, thankfully.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yeah, the did the same thing with the Rubicon in Tomb Raider 2. You only see it for like a minute or two during the entire movie.
    Anyone ever have any problem putting one on? The place where the plastic goes into the header kept popping out on the corners. Does it get better after it's been used? I guess I need someone to hold one side in place when I secure the other side. I got frustrated with it. It's from Bestop.

Oh yeah, they can be down right ornery, but you will get it eventually. Bestop is the way to go, so you did good there. They really make a good, tough product, but getting the plastic slid into the windshield header can be a major pain.

Yes, it gets easier, but I'm not sure why. Maybe you just learn the technique?

Tom

Jim:

You are very welcome. :)

If you would like to tell us what model Wrangler and what options you are considering, we could help you to know that you are getting the right combination for your needs, or we could suggest alternatives.

Tom

Jeff, I feel for ya, man! Hope your wait won't be much longer. Same to you, Mike (usmc_jeep) and you, Trew.

Keep us posted.

Tom

• lookin4acjlookin4acj Member Posts: 2
    Hey, fellas. Gotta question. I am looking at a TJ, '97 or '98. I found a '97 I really like. Sport edition, manual, good condition and the price is right. I know I want to have the Dana44 rear axle so I can put 33's on it. But how can you tell it's the 44 just by looking it? The owner has no idea.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    It's unlikely you'll find a '97 with a D44. I have seen reports of them, but never one in person on a '97. It may have been available late production for that year. As far as IDing them, you can check out http://www.poisonspyder.com/index2.php - scroll down to Rock Ring Applications and you'll see that the D35 is oval shaped where the D44 is more angular and is shaped more like a sideways pear. HTH and good luck in yoru search.

-twylie
    Congrats to Dirk and Jeff's girlfriend for their new Jeeps. I haven't actually seen the Sahara limited edition yet, but I did watch see the movie. I've read Clive Cussler's books and so I went not just to see the Jeeps (and yes, I noticed the Cherokees more than the Unlimited), but to also see how they were going to adapt the book. Thought they did a good job and made an entertaining movie out of an exciting, but complicated book.

Jeff - if you marry her you'll be a 2 Wrangler family, like us! Then all you'll worry about is putting the wrong Jeep key in the ignition (for some reason, the Unlimited won't start with the Sport's key - can't quite figure that out!).

Final comment about tops - if I had a garage I would probably buy just the hard top and then buy a winch lift and a safari top. Since I don't, I opted for the soft top, and don't feel that it is inadequate for the weather I've seen so far. However, the bar on the soft top's back window seems to be in the way all the time, and has become a major thing for me. I'm going to have to love driving around with the top down more than I hate being inconvenienced by that bar for me to get another soft top. The jury's still out on that yet.
  • lookin4acjlookin4acj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Sorry to bust in randomly on an existing topic. Still figuring this out. Draw one more breath to tell me this... is '98 the year they started to become a standard option (i've heard it was either this or ABS) and does every year model after that have it? Thanks again!
    Another method to help you is that it's either / or in regard to a D44 and ABS. From '98 on both were available as options, neither was standard. A D35 has a round cover with a rubber fill/level plug.
    You might do well to consider gearing also.

Maybe a Dana 44 would automatically get you 3.73 gearing, but you sure don't want the 3.07 gears. If you think you want to go to larger tires, the 3.07 gearing would not be suitable.

Tom

Tom-- thanks! Right on the Jeep Thing -- have driven a Cherokee since '93, but now have a Wrangler for the first time. Even though Jeep's are in a class by themselves, it's very apparent to me now after only a couple of days with the Wrangler, that it is in a class by itself too! Lot's of fun and spirit to drive, as you and others have indicated time and time again.

Now is the time to buy -- especially if you want the trusty Inline 6 4.0L engine like I did -- as it does appear that 2006 will be the last model year of that engine's availability.

Later.
    Mtngal-- thanks! The new Jeep is awesome.

For a screenshot of the Special Edition Wrangler Unlimited Sahara go to:
    http://www.jeep.com/sahara/wrangler.html
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Want to add new tire carrier that will hold gas cans...like the Garvin Wilderness one...is there one better? Main issue is one that rattles the least! :confuse:
    I like that very much (except for the chrome grille). Definitely the one I'd go for if I was in the market for a New Jeep!

• iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Jim:
    I'm with Tom...leave all that over-analyzing and worrying to those people that are going to live forever! For those of us with only one time around, I have to tell you one of my favorite axioms..."you won't regret what you did in life, but you will certainly regret what you didn't do"! As Nike says, "Just Do It"! I am 62 going on 22 and just bought a new Unlimited, 6 speed, hardtop, and put 31" tires on her. Did I need it, nope. Did I want it, you bet. There is only one vehicle that will get you there and get you back, still has steel bumpers, let's you option yourself crazy, will beat the living crud out of you off'road and make you smile doing it, and will make all those people who claim your having a mid-life crisis envious and jealous...a Jeep Wrangler. Quit listening to others and listen to your heart...being practical to the grave is kind of like those doldrums of indoor office life...boring! If you want it, do it and invite all those who want to come along to join you...leave the others at home wishing and hoping. Won't be long your fun will be contagious and you'll have more passengers than room! Tell your wife she's never too young to learn...and besides, she might love shifting and making her friends one of those envious and jealous types. Good luck and welcome aboard...we are all about fun and enjoying life here. ;)
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    I went to the Jeep Warehouse site and it shows "yellow" as a color for the 2005
    model year. I have yet to see a yellow at any of the dealers around central pa.
    I have not seen yellow in any of the books etc for 2005...am i right in saying yellow
    is not available this year?....reason I ask is ...that is the color I really wanted.
    "...............There is only one vehicle that will get you there and get you back, still has steel bumpers, let's you option yourself crazy, will beat the living crud out of you off'road and make you smile doing it, and will make all those people who claim your having a mid-life crisis envious and jealous..."

While I fully agree with the rest of your post, I respectfully suggest that there is at least one other vehicle that meets the above criteria........ ;)

Hint: My other vehicle is an AMG H1.
    Apparently it's unavailable.

Go here and click on Wrangler Color Choices: Wrangler Exterior Features @Jeep.com
  • I love the Unlimited pictured on post #16611on April 17, 2005. It looks like it's Stone White color but I can't trust my monitor which has fooled me before between white and silver. Can anyone tell me for sure what color it is? All I know, is that's the Wrangler I want and I want to be sure I get the color right.
  • I really appreciate your wisdom on life and I'm listening! I just got back from a nice discussion with my wife at the local McDonald's. I took the family there for a cheap dessert treat and knew it would keep the kids busy in the play-place while I spoke uninterrupted with my wife. I laid out my feelings and how it's been a darn long time since I've felt passionate about a vehicle like this. I explained how this Wrangler represents more than just a vehicle but is calling to me to get out and have some fun once in awhile. She agreed, understood, and is with me. She wants to go with an automatic transmission in case she ever needs to drive it if her minivan is in the shop sometime. I'm going to test drive a manual shift and maybe that'll help me figure out if I want to compromise on that...Who knows, maybe I'll not like the shifting but it still sounds more fun than just steering and accelerating.

By the way, I think it's your Unlimited I just asked about the color above. It looks awesome!!! Is it white or silver? Did you have any troubles deciding what options you wanted?
    Jim:

Yep, that's Iconoclast's Jeep. Ain't she a beauty? Of course, I am partial to white myself.

As far as the auto tranny, they are pretty popular. Even for off roading, it seems like a lot of folks prefer the autos. They had some problems with the tranny ceasing to pull when the nose of the Jeep was pointed up at an extreme angle. I THINK they redesigned the oil pan and overcame that problem, and it may not even be a factor in your case anyway. (You have to be rock crawling or something for the Jeep to get into such a position.)

Hey, Jeeps are for the whole family. Include Momma in this, even if it means getting an auto. However, ask her to give driving a manual some serious consideration, if you feel pretty strongly that you want the manual. Jeeps have such nice low end torque and are geared so that you can be pretty lousy at coordinating the gas and the clutch and get away with it. You really have to give them no gas at all if you come out slowly enough with the clutch.

Just be careful NOT to get 3.07 gears. You are going to want to go to at least 31" tires sometime, and you want the 3.73 gears. There used to be a package available on the Sports called the AAS package for $850. What a steal! You get 30" tires, the beautiful Ravine wheels, gas shocks, and the heavy duty Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gears. If that package is still available, jump on it!

Tom

• usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Called the dealership yesterday and spoke with my salesman. The Jeep has been shipped! They received the invoice earlier this week and delivery is possible today or tomorrow at the earliest.

Oh yeah!

Semper Fi,

Mike